Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Wrestlemania have been postponed?
This poll is closed.
Yes. 44 28.76%
Yes. 109 71.24%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Saul Goode posted:

If you were to condense the card into one night what matches and in what order would you put them? Both nights sound like a slog but it seems there is enough to make one decent PPV (or custom playlist).

Gulak v Cesaro
Zayn v Bryan
Ladder match
Rollins v Owens
BoneZone
Firefly Funhouse

That's it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RBX posted:

He's watched too much late Nitro in a short amount of time.

Can someone make an avatar of Cena playing guitar on the title? I'd be forever grateful.

Check the gif thread in about 5 minutes! :)

Edit: or just view it here!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 6, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think the boneyard match is proof that this forum doesn't hate WWE. They're just so bad that they often can't meet the expectation of "Be fun" and "be mildly entertaining". They're graded on the softest curve and still rarely pass.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Blaise330 posted:

Turns out Edge vs Orton is the 2nd longest wrestlemania match of all time under bret and shawn's iron man match. Feels accurate

36:35 according to Wikipedia. Certainly felt longer than that.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
How about that big rear end ladder tho

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think the boneyard match is proof that this forum doesn't hate WWE.

Do something good and people like it, do something bad and they don't. I've said many times before that if WWE gets mostly negative reactions around here, that's not the fault of the people around here.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Saul Goode posted:

If you were to condense the card into one night what matches and in what order would you put them? Both nights sound like a slog but it seems there is enough to make one decent PPV (or custom playlist).

Otis v Ziggler
Rhea v Charlotte
Bryan v Zayn
Ladder Match Triple Threat
Boneyard Match
Drew v Lesnar
Rollins v Owens
Funhouse Match

8 match card, in what I feel is the best escalation of both emotion and general match quality culminating in the best the show had in the semi-main and main.

Also make Rollins v Owens for the Universal Title somehow.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

sidebar: it really rubs me the wrong way when people break out the "fake fighting in your underwear" stuff when talking about wrestling. There isn't an artform in existence that couldn't be given a similarly reductive description. Pointilism is just making little dots on paper. Ballet is just prancing about in tights. Drama is just dress-up and make believe with your friends. Avant garde orchestral music is just a bunch of idiots making noise. Writing fiction is just making up stories. Anything is silly when you examine it closely, because the world is absurd. What matters is the joy you get from it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

Build a time machine, or send a killer robot back in time to prevent the Rollins v. Fiend matches, where the WWE booked themselves into a corner, get Rollins to turn heel regardless at around Survivor Series, and do the Rollins v. Owens feud - and when Rollins and Murphy win the tag titles, absolutely have Rollins refer to himself as "Sethy Two-Belts."

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Vagabundo posted:

Build a time machine, or send a killer robot back in time to prevent the Rollins v. Fiend matches, where the WWE booked themselves into a corner, get Rollins to turn heel regardless at around Survivor Series, and do the Rollins v. Owens feud - and when Rollins and Murphy win the tag titles, absolutely have Rollins refer to himself as "Sethy Two-Belts."

This has the bonus effect of the Fiend never being champion and thus not having to job out to Goldberg, and also letting him spend those months doing Horror Monster Squash Matches without everyone hating it so much because it wouldn't be in world title matches. Book it Time Bookers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BrigadierSensible posted:

If we are still talking about Wrestlemania, in anon cinematic thought:

I enjoyed the womens match on night 2. Evil Bayley trash talking was cool. As was heels being better friends than babyfaces. It was a fun match.

That was some of Bayley's best main roster work. I think she was absolutely the star of that match. I also like that even her evil character isn't really that mean with her insults.

"How do you like that dance machine?"

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Codependent Poster posted:

That was some of Bayley's best main roster work. I think she was absolutely the star of that match. I also like that even her evil character isn't really that mean with her insults.

"How do you like that dance machine?"

Evil Bayley is good, I'm mildly interested in whats going to happen with Sasha. The match was p bad though.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Man I sure wish that instead of the really creative, interesting and hilarious match we got last night we instead got Cena Match #384973927. Wrestling needs to follow very specific standards to count as wrestling to me. Now if you'll excuse me I just poo poo my pants

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Personally I'd prefer if Cena Wyatt was a Battlarts style match because I think most of the WWE doing Battlarts matches would be hilarious but I'm glad others enjoyed what they did

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

This has the bonus effect of the Fiend never being champion and thus not having to job out to Goldberg, and also letting him spend those months doing Horror Monster Squash Matches without everyone hating it so much because it wouldn't be in world title matches. Book it Time Bookers.

Yep, they could have easily had him gently caress with Miz and Bryan without it being title matches, because in both feuds, the title wasn't the focus anyway.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Honestly I hated the Firefly Funhouse too :shrug: I'm not going to be the old man screaming about "muh rasslin" though, it is what it is. I'm not the target audience for these "cinematic" matches and that's cool, if you liked it I'm glad.

I can moan all day about these "kick out of 15 finishers and go 3 minutes" matches though, I'm so over it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

forkboy84 posted:

Personally I'd prefer if Cena Wyatt was a Battlarts style match because I think most of the WWE doing Battlarts matches would be hilarious but I'm glad others enjoyed what they did

John Cena's Bloodsport.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

An Actual Bear posted:

Honestly I hated the Firefly Funhouse too :shrug: I'm not going to be the old man screaming about "muh rasslin" though, it is what it is. I'm not the target audience for these "cinematic" matches and that's cool, if you liked it I'm glad.

I can moan all day about these "kick out of 15 finishers and go 3 minutes" matches though, I'm so over it.

I warned everyone when goldberg came back. I warned you all but nobody listened.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
goldberg should've retained

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TriffTshngo posted:

goldberg should've retained and beaten Brock for the other belt

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Vagabundo posted:

36:35 according to Wikipedia.

That's hours and minutes, right?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The most impressive thing about WM is honestly that they found a way to gently caress up Edge/Orton this badly. You'd think that even with WWE booking it would have ended up mediocre at worst, but no, they found a way to make it absolute dogshit.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Cerebral Bore posted:

The most impressive thing about WM is honestly that they found a way to gently caress up Edge/Orton this badly. You'd think that even with WWE booking it would have ended up mediocre at worst, but no, they found a way to make it absolute dogshit.

Best build, worst match. Seems on point.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lol at still being surprised when wwe ruins something that was a slam dunk

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

When they called it a last man standing match, they were referring to the audience

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

They should have had all the Mania matches be shot in a cinematic style even the PC ones, even just to make it look more like that one indie... Riptide iirc?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

John Cena plays a real good Shinji Ikari

*does the Five Knuckle Shuffle*

I'm so hosed up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sanguinia posted:

Otis v Ziggler
Rhea v Charlotte
Bryan v Zayn
Ladder Match Triple Threat
Boneyard Match
Drew v Lesnar
Rollins v Owens
Funhouse Match

8 match card, in what I feel is the best escalation of both emotion and general match quality culminating in the best the show had in the semi-main and main.

yea I would purchase a ticket to this show, obviously hindsight on what matches were good helps but it feels like even without knowing what worked this is a solid card that has a nice mix of classic 'here's two dudes wrasslin' and weird gimmick stuff and storyline stuff.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Dave said on Observer Radio nobody would admit who produced that match, so I'm assuming it's HHH because "Slow-paced blood feud match that goes on forever" is 100% his style

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Can you imagine if all this Mania had been one show and the Orton/Edge match had been in the last third?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Looking forward to a year from now when WWE has run cinematic matches into the ground (the likes of which include A King’s Court match featuring King Corbin) and they get the Always Bad treatment

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Aleister vs Lashley being in the top 5 for matches last weekend is slightly concerning

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually
You know after the firefly funhouse segment last night i was asked what the gently caress the person who who asked me just loving saw, and o could only respondnd with :what you just saw was a thing a beauty, you have asked for years what my schizphrenia is really like, what you just saw was one of my schizophrenic delusions cranked up to 11"

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Firefly Funhouse was incredibly unique and entertaining. But it would have been better if there was more resembling actual wrestling like a Final Deletion. I thought that's where they were going after the psychological trip, but it was just Mandible Claw and The Fiend standing tall.

Still miles and miles ahead of WWE's usual "you want THIS? gently caress you you're getting what we tell you to like." Which alone makes this a better Wrestlemania than the last several.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I think the thing with Funhouse for me was that, while I personally enjoyed it, it didn't really y'know do anything for the show or for the WWE as a whole. I'm happy to be proven wrong but I sincerely doubt that they're going to be talking about it all over WWE television for the next few months or acknowledging the narrative throughline that the Fiend defeated John Cena by convincing John Cena that he was a bad person all along. More than likely if it is mentioned at all it's going to be in the vaguest possible terms like Michael Cole shrieking "Can you believe what we saw last night in Bray Wyatt's Firefly Funhouse" if they even have Wyatt on the show before they come up with a new feud for him. It's just going to be 'a bunch of weird poo poo that happened' and business will continue as usual with no impact on anything (aside from, I suppose, John Cena not being on television until the build for next year's Wrestlemania or whenever he decides that he wants to show up again for something).

The Boneyard is a much easier story to play off of for WWE television (though again I don't imagine we're likely to see Taker again until next year) and for that reason alone counts as a much more successful use of their time and resources from my point of view. It was also a lot more fun to watch.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Incessant Excess posted:

Can you imagine if all this Mania had been one show and the Orton/Edge match had been in the last third?

It' actually kinda funny that this here Mania might actually have ended up being better than it otherwise would have due to the empty arena in some rear end-backwards way.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
imagine how much worse that incredibly awful match would have been with a live crowd and without the benefit of editing

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wonder whose large nose was inserted into Edge vs Orton to turn a good 18 min match into a bad 37 minute one and also suggested the benoit spot to own the libs. Who could it have been? wHHHo?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TriffTshngo posted:

so how does edge vs orton stack up against the first 31 minutes of go shiozaki vs kazuyuki fujita
imo the standoff is far, far more mesmerizing (demonstrating a level of discipline vs going through the motions) but if you wanted a visualization of their half-hour mental war (inokism vs NOAH), then i actually think the funhouse would be the closer analogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder whose large nose was inserted into Edge vs Orton to turn a good 18 min match into a bad 37 minute one and also suggested the benoit spot to own the libs. Who could it have been? wHHHo?

There was a Benoit spot? What happened??