Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dork pretending to be cool is a pretty solid action game archetype. That's basically what they leaned into with Raiden in MGR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dell_Zincht posted:

To be fair, he WAS dying of Geostigma in AC, I'd say that's a good reason to be mopey.

Even then he had pretty decent moments of the OG characterization here and there. The entire sequence with Rufus has several pretty great examples, like locking Reno out or going "that's nice, what do you want" when Rufus reveals he survived.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Wedge, by sitting on it.

(The arse counts as lower body, right?)

Truth

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dork pretending to be cool is a pretty solid action game archetype. That's basically what they leaned into with Raiden in MGR.

well yeah but the whole point of Cloud is that he was still a dork pretending to be cool and that showed through at times where he'd do goofy poo poo and everyone would be like "CLOUD!!!" <laugh track>. but in the EU he wasn't dorky at all, he was full emo and the only cool part about him was that he rode a massive harley with a budk sword rack

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Tifa is moe. Tifa is bae.

You know you might be onto something here. Who's to tell the director and the producer of FF13 that it isn't their right to make an iconic side-character baye and moye, something they've so successfully accomplished in their previous titles:

The way Tifa's depicted in FF7R by Toriyama and Kitase really bares their wet idol-love, and I am glad they keep it exposed in their reimagining of a classic IP, because I share the same love for another iconic moye and baye character - Jar Jar Binks.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

You know you might be onto something here. Who's to tell the director and the producer of FF13 that it isn't their right to make an iconic side-character baye and moye, something they've so successfully accomplished in their previous titles:

The way Tifa's depicted in FF7R by Toriyama and Kitase really bares their wet idol-love, and I am glad they keep it exposed in their reimagining of a classic IP, because I share the same love for another iconic moye and baye character - Jar Jar Binks.

Your sarcasm is unappreciated, the jar jar route in the dating sim is a work of art.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's probably a book or two to be written about how female archetypes in Japanese nerd media become increasingly detached from any kind of sense as they take an originally nuanced character and turn it into flat out fetishisation of some form of mental and/or emotional damage, and then imitate that without understanding either, until you end up with characters who are both insufferable and incomprehensible.

If you're lucky, they actually replayed FFVII while developing this and realised the whole thing with the characters' actual personalities and development being a subversion of the archetype they originally present as, on at least some level. Nomura does some incredibly dumb story poo poo, sure, but that's because people fork over millions for it anyway so he has no reason to stop.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's probably a book or two to be written about how female archetypes in Japanese nerd media become increasingly detached from any kind of sense as they take an originally nuanced character and turn it into flat out fetishisation of some form of mental and/or emotional damage, and then imitate that without understanding either, until you end up with characters who are both insufferable and incomprehensible.

If you're lucky, they actually replayed FFVII while developing this and realised the whole thing with the characters' actual personalities and development being a subversion of the archetype they originally present as, on at least some level. Nomura does some incredibly dumb story poo poo, sure, but that's because people fork over millions for it anyway so he has no reason to stop.

That's what happens when pop media copys itself again and again for a couple of decades, diluting any substance it may have had, until you get this moe nonsense. (I'm not an expert).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

itry posted:

That's what happens when pop media copys itself again and again for a couple of decades, diluting any substance it may have had, until you get this moe nonsense. (I'm not an expert).

I associate moe in anime with 80s genre characteristic in manga/anime that explored feelings and relationships, so something like Kimagure Orange Road or stuff by Rumiko Takahashi like Urusei Yastura, Ranma, etc. Her character Lum is kind of considered a loose origin point for all these terms, and Madoka from Kimagure a few years later could be considered an origin point of 'tsundere'

as of the early 00s I guess moe refers to a distinct visual style of innocence and deference in a character's face or whatever. It can probably be loosely conflated with 'feelings for girl next door'

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      

🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      🗿      

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 5, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

itry posted:

That the primary audience is NEET shut-ins does not help the potential allusions to Plato's Cave.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That the primary audience is NEET shut-ins does not help the potential allusions to Plato's Cave.

We're all NEET shut-ins now. GIVE ME MY ANIME GAME!

Does anyone stateside have it yet?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

feeling very rn waiting for this game

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Is there an original gif the "planet killers" tag is based off?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Agents are GO! posted:

Is there an original gif the "planet killers" tag is based off?

I think it's a blending of Barrett's Big Shot limit break and Sephiroth's Super Nova attack. So no, there isn't an "original GIF" as such.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The Deluxe edition was briefly available on Amazon on Friday. In the time I was deciding whether to buy it or stick with the vanilla release, it went out of stock and hasn't come back. I could just pre-order the digital deluxe but I'd rather have a hard copy of the artbook and soundtrack :negative:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Is there anyway to bypass the countdown on the digital edition of the game? It's downloaded and ready to play, but simply resetting the calendar after disconnecting from the Internet doesn't work. It mandates an internet connection to check the date/time to see if it's okay to play it.

Damnit, I paid for the game, let me play it!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Review embargo is up

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1247103119814733824

:toot:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like that there is a site simply called RPG site.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

my rating for this game is "fun on a bun"

throw that on your metacritic you game reviewing bozos

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

bradzilla posted:

The Deluxe edition was briefly available on Amazon on Friday. In the time I was deciding whether to buy it or stick with the vanilla release, it went out of stock and hasn't come back. I could just pre-order the digital deluxe but I'd rather have a hard copy of the artbook and soundtrack :negative:

I ordered it there on Friday after finding out that it was actually good and had no idea it was unavailable before/after, I feel lucky now :toot:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

great big cardboard tube posted:

I ordered it there on Friday after finding out that it was actually good and had no idea it was unavailable before/after, I feel lucky now :toot:

I think I'll try my local Target when they open Friday morning. They sometimes have a small stock of limited editions for big releases like this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

These reviews have only added to the well-deserved hype that I have been holding onto for months/years. I am even more excited about this really cool and dope and fun video game that I will get to play soon!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I think it's a blending of Barrett's Big Shot limit break and Sephiroth's Super Nova attack. So no, there isn't an "original GIF" as such.

Yes, I knew that, I was wondering if some body had spliced it together before it became a gang tag.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Agents are GO! posted:

Yes, I knew that, I was wondering if some body had spliced it together before it became a gang tag.

The posts about it are buried in this thread, but it was "I threw this gangtag together for this thread, can a mod add it to folks?" post.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I finally got a chance to watch that final trailer and it looks amazing.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Elentor posted:

I'm calling the horny police.

I never did anything to anyone.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The only review I care about is, clearly, RPGamer.com.

Anybody else remember when they changed the site to be Lavos themed for 1999?

Anybody?

just me?

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

esperterra posted:

Anybody?

just me?

I only trusted geocities sites from reliable webrings, sorry.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

esperterra posted:

Anybody?

just me?

I know its hard but maybe if we try we can get better at this whole hiding our real age thing

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Elentor posted:

I know its hard but maybe if we try we can get better at this whole hiding our real age thing

In a thread about a remake of a 1997 vidya game I feel like this is a difficult task

But we can work together!!!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Elentor posted:

I hadn't played Chrono Trigger by 1999 :(

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I mean, I was 10 so still probably not as old as some of the people in this thread!!

But I don't know if it's better or worse that I was extremely online enough at like 9 to remember before the Lavos layout of a website for JRPG news.

hmmm

quarantine thoughts

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
What a great community.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

esperterra posted:

In a thread about a remake of a 1997 vidya game I feel like this is a difficult task

But we can work together!!!

Looks at the amount of ancient regdates in this page.

Eh why bother

Dell_Zincht posted:

I hadn't played Chrono Trigger by 1999 :(

Ya know, me neither!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

esperterra posted:

I mean, I was 10 so still probably not as old as some of the people in this thread!!

But I don't know if it's better or worse that I was extremely online enough at like 9 to remember before the Lavos layout of a website for JRPG news.

hmmm

quarantine thoughts

gently caress, I was 16 in 1999. Chrono Trigger never came out over here until it was re-released on the DS and I hadn't gotten into emulation until the early 2000s.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Chrono Trigger is one of the very first games I remember my brother and I being super excited for the launch of, because we'd both been obsessed with Final Fantasy since I and had just finished VI, and he was old enough to already be all up in that Nintendo Power poo poo to pass his sagely wisdom down to me.

e: i lowkey think my incredibly early love for JRPGs is why my reading level was like over 9000 already before i hit double digits. i was always up in a book or replaying muh japanese video gaymes

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I remember one kid on my school bus hyping up Chrono Cross but I had no interest because I was too busy trying to find Mew under that drat truck by the SS Anne.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i played chrono trigger for the first time in 2000, on the computer :smug:

but i didn't really understand the whole "internet" thing until maybe 2003 at the absolute earliest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I finally played the demo last night. Think I'm gonna play the demo again tonight.