Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

sudden and massive deterioration is usually what happens in the covid patients who end up dying

uh oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Just Chamber posted:

The rich will always find a way to get preferential treatment, though as he's the leader of the country its probably understandable they'd take every precaution in this case.

Don't like the guy at all and whilst I hoped he'd have a lovely week or so feeling a bit miserable I hope he pulls through this alright.

i don't hope he dies with any great fervour, but on balance i'd be in favour of it because that's the funnier outcome

this is not my standard approach to sick people, but when rich conservatives make it abundantly clear they don't see other people as human, it's hard not to return the favour

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
He's not going to die.

He's going to survive due to having a guaranteed ventilator, oxygen, team of doctors and a bunch of fresh nurses who aren't using bin bags as their protective gear.

Then, when he recovers, he is going to use this as a shining, personal example of the wonderful NHS and all the extensive support and help his govt gave them and refuse to accept any critism of their policies, despite it being proven that these policies caused the deaths of hundreds of non-prime ministers, if not more.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i don't hope he dies with any great fervour, but on balance i'd be in favour of it because that's the funnier outcome

this is not my standard approach to sick people, but when rich conservatives make it abundantly clear they don't see other people as human, it's hard not to return the favour

Best case scenario is he has a near death experience and like some who go through that sort of thing he comes out of it less of a oval office, but that won't happen so :shrug: it's going to be an interesting few days regardless.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shut up Meg posted:

He's going to survive due to having a guaranteed ventilator, oxygen, team of doctors and a bunch of fresh nurses who aren't using bin bags as their protective gear.

Maybe, none of this is a guarantee. The ventilator certainly helps with not dying, but at the end of the day there are no drugs or additional help that can be given to fight this virus. It's between your immune system and the virus, and then in the worst cases it becomes your immune system and virus vs. your body. Boris is likely at the point now where his immune system is actively doing more harm than good, its had enough of this virus and is using a scorched earth approach to taking it out.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

It’s not like he hasn’t got plenty of blood on his hands already, whilst I would like it if no-one else died because of this we did need to keep the economy running so sacrifices do have to be made.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shut up Meg posted:

He's not going to die.

Then, when he recovers, he is going to use this as a shining, personal example of the wonderful NHS and all the extensive support and help his govt gave them and refuse to accept any critism of their policies, despite it being proven that these policies caused the deaths of hundreds of non-prime ministers, if not more.

It's a 50% chance even with a ventilator because your lungs and kidneys both pack it in

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
F

I’ll miss him. He was a character.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jose posted:

It's a 50% chance even with a ventilator because your lungs and kidneys both pack it in

Even if your immune system takes out the virus, it has so thoroughly overworked itself and destroyed all of the protective cells in your lungs, that it allows other bacteria to invite themselves in unopposed and have fun. You could end up dying to another disease anyways, or your lungs are so thoroughly destroyed that they won't work ever again and you're dead.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1247251679772323840?s=19
doesnt sound like the sort of thing you'd say about someone who was just being cautious

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

I said come in! posted:

He is what, day 12 into this or so? It averages about 18 days before a patient dies.

Day 12 since we were told.

kecske posted:

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1247251679772323840?s=19
doesnt sound like the sort of thing you'd say about someone who was just being cautious

I don’t think we would’ve heard unless it’s was deadly serious - I’m sure he’d like to project an indomitable strongman image.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

He'll be getting all the experimental drugs atm if there's even a slim chance they help with the virus.
Or some of these rumoured anti virals that supposedly work like the malaria drug etc. The top doctors in the world will be on conference call etc and I'm sure these things alone will increase his chance of survival from the regular Joe by quite a lot. For us we'd be lucky to just get a ventilator.

Of course yes if his immune system goes into full blown panic and he then gets an infection etc it might not matter. I think if we hear he's been put into an induced coma then we can really talk about him being likely to die.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

I said come in! posted:

Maybe, none of this is a guarantee. The ventilator certainly helps with not dying, but at the end of the day there are no drugs or additional help that can be given to fight this virus. It's between your immune system and the virus, and then in the worst cases it becomes your immune system and virus vs. your body. Boris is likely at the point now where his immune system is actively doing more harm than good, its had enough of this virus and is using a scorched earth approach to taking it out.

Jose posted:

I must admit that I didn't realise that the odds were so bad for 'healthy' people - certainly, the majority of the news reports that describe specific victims has been skewed towards it being more fatal to the 65+ and those with other conditions and the odds were much more favourable for someone who could survive a bout of flu.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Theres also the allegations that he's a pretty chronic alcoholic. If he is that's going to reduce his chance of survival significantly - apparently the toll corona takes on your liver is one of the ways it ends up killing you.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

He's probably already dead, the Tories have spun everything else their entire lives

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Weekend at Bojo's

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

can't believe the antisemitic virus has assassinated Our Lad Bozza like this

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shut up Meg posted:

I must admit that I didn't realise that the odds were so bad for 'healthy' people - certainly, the majority of the news reports that describe specific victims has been skewed towards it being more fatal to the 65+ and those with other conditions and the odds were much more favourable for someone who could survive a bout of flu.

Being healthy for sure still helps. Your immune system is far more likely to fight off COVID-19 before it needs to go into panic mode. As you get older, or if your immune system is not as strong for whatever reason, it cant fight off the virus as quickly, the virus takes over and then your immune system goes into overdrive and starts to really gently caress things up. I've had this happen to me due to crohns disease and it is not pleasant.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Shut up Meg posted:

He's not going to die.

A ventilator is a ventilator, at the current point most people still get one. Extra nurses and doctors can't do anything to stop it. PPE stops them catching it not him. There is no cure. If the virus wants him - or anyone - they are going to die. This isnt something money or power can protect you from. Pandemics give no shits about capitalism.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Why are our immune systems such rascals

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
allow me to be the first to say - ruh roh

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
If Boris dies i think it will confirm in my mind the existence of Satan- this is like the outcome of some Mephistophelian deal BoJo made back when he was 18.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Drone_Fragger posted:

Theres also the allegations that he's a pretty chronic alcoholic. If he is that's going to reduce his chance of survival significantly - apparently the toll corona takes on your liver is one of the ways it ends up killing you.

Oh poo poo

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Chrs posted:

Oh poo poo

Are you regretting taking up the hobby of making models of buses out of empty wine crates?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Penny for Dominic Cumming's thoughts

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I know, back in the day (and currently, of course) there was a sizable number of people who hated Thatcher and would have taken to the streets in celebration were she to die in office. The same as how we hated Reagan. How is Bojo viewed in comparison? If Thatcher is 100 on the hatred scale...

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Waltzing Along posted:

I know, back in the day (and currently, of course) there was a sizable number of people who hated Thatcher and would have taken to the streets in celebration were she to die in office. The same as how we hated Reagan. How is Bojo viewed in comparison? If Thatcher is 100 on the hatred scale...

About a 50. I will not mourn him because I am a mentally ill person from the UK who was making good progress into becoming a functional member of society until austerity knocked me flat on my rear end again and now there is no help available. I know there are some people in this thread who might think it's ghoulish to celebrate someones death but him and his ilk have caused anxiety and despair to tens of thousands. Now everyone knows the desperation that the poor, sick and disabled have faced for the past ten years.

I'm not going to jump up and down with joy but you've got to understand my lack of sympathy.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Bojo's just doing what he tells the ladies:

Lie on your back and think of England.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shut up Meg posted:

He's not going to die.

Yeah, he'll come back with a few TV appearances talking about being "wobbly and poorly", praise the NHS but do nothing to actually help them and the thick and sentimental will lap up Boris, pulling through this.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

feedmegin posted:

Pandemics give no shits about capitalism.

Incredibly false.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Unca Donuwd going to save Boris with his international top genius-men miracle cure juju stick :trumpsmug: :catdrugs:

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_k5wb4omCk

If you go on a ventilator, you are hosed. No number of antivirals or other measures can help you at that point. If you can't breathe, it means your lungs are hosed, and its just whether or not your lungs can repair themselves enough.

blackgreywhite
Apr 7, 2019

and pink.
If he pulls through the Daily Mail will use it as an example of how if you work hard in the face of adversity you will be rewarded, and that it's only poors who never work hard and so hell mend them. Also: "A Free Photo of a Bog Roll for every Reader!'

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So who takes over if he dies?

Like, if Trump were to die, we'd get President Pence.

Does the Queen just take over?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

It goes to whoever the next saboteur is that may failed to crush

Vakal
May 11, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

That would be a demotion for the Queen.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

spacetoaster posted:

As an American, I am not well-versed in UK politics. However, I've always understood that parliament elects the prime minister. It's not like POTUS.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Sneak Lemming posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_k5wb4omCk

If you go on a ventilator, you are hosed. No number of antivirals or other measures can help you at that point. If you can't breathe, it means your lungs are hosed, and its just whether or not your lungs can repair themselves enough.

Mortality stats out of Seattle for critical care admits for this are around 50%

You don't go in without the expectation of intubation. Milage may vary because he is Important, but if he's in there for a reason, it's pretty dire.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Valko posted:

About a 50. I will not mourn him because I am a mentally ill person from the UK who was making good progress into becoming a functional member of society until austerity knocked me flat on my rear end again and now there is no help available. I know there are some people in this thread who might think it's ghoulish to celebrate someones death but him and his ilk have caused anxiety and despair to tens of thousands. Now everyone knows the desperation that the poor, sick and disabled have faced for the past ten years.

I'm not going to jump up and down with joy but you've got to understand my lack of sympathy.

ghoulish? since I heard boris had gone into ICU, I've just been wondering if I can successfully edge all the way until the exact moment that I learn he has died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

As an American, I am not well-versed in UK politics. However, I've always understood that parliament elects the prime minister. It's not like POTUS.

Hmmm, I figure there'd be a sword involved somehow. Either pulled from a stone, or handed to someone by a lady in a lake, or just a good ol' duel.

Extremely disappointed.