Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your favorite returning character?
Kane
General Carville
Premier Romanov
Jobbo Fett
View Results

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Groetgaffel posted:

I like hell march 2 better than the original. That might make me a heretic. :ohdear:
I'm the heresiarch, then. The best HM is 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

anilEhilated posted:

I'm the heresiarch, then. The best HM is 3.

You could not be more wrong, heresiarch.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It's an okay track.

...Shame it does not exist!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/pooldad/status/1247183143968411650

New construction options

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Lt. Eva: "Commander, the Soviets are holding Justin Bieber hostage and forcing him to make communist music videos. General Carville's daughter is already singing about marxism, you have to stop them!"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Lt. Eva: "Commander, the Soviets are holding Justin Bieber hostage and forcing him to make communist music videos. General Carville's daughter is already singing about marxism, you have to stop them!"
"Just destroy the building, we don't have the resources for mounting a rescue operation. The world's future depends on you, Commander!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Allied 02: Eagle Dawn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DFvRzHGoAY
Eagle Dawn

The Soviets have conquered most of the South and Western states in the US, from California to Louisiana! Reports are coming in that they have managed to capture the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. This cannot be tolerated! Without that academy, we will lose a vital part of our training staff which will have devastating effects on our air power capabilities if we do not regain control of the situation.

Fun fact: The Air Force Academy building in-game is modelled after its real life counterpart! What a funky building.

Objective: Recapture the Air Force Academy and destroy all Soviet forces in the area.

Briefing: Soviet troops cover America like a foul plague. They have even penetrated our heartland to capture the Air Force Academy in Colorado. The Academy, its cadets, and the unique technology it contains are vital to our defense. Use Tanya to contact any American forces in the area, reclaim our Air Force Academy, and drive the Soviets from the area.

Author's note: An intro to the jump jet infantry of this game. Its alright, though there is a lot of wasted space on something of 1/3rd of the entire map.

Name: Ben Carville
Aliases: General Thorn
Affiliation: Allies
Voiced/Played by: Barry Corbin

Top military official for the United States of America's armed forces. Reports directly to the president. Enjoys antagonizing Tanya.

Name: Tanya
Aliases: Widowmaker
Affiliation: Hired Gun
Voiced/Played by: Kari Wuhrer

Agent Tanya is a renowned mercenary who plays by her own rules. It has been suggested that the name "Tanya" may be a codename, similar to Agent 007. Responded to the crisis and helped recapture the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, after having dealt with the Soviet invasion in New York.

Name: Lt. Eva
Aliases: None
Affiliation: Allies
Occupation: Tactical and Communications officer for the Commander
Voiced/Played by: Athena Massey

Lt. Eva is the Commander's tactics and communications officer, providing a vital supporting role in the Commander's control of his forces, and the battlefield.

Grizzly Tank
RANGE: Medium
ARMOR: Heavy
WEAPON: 105mm Cannon
COST: 700

The Grizzly is a standard Allied tank. Useful for base assaults, Grizzly Battle Tanks are also capable of grinding enemy infantry units under their powerful treads. This all-purpose vehicle is useful both in defence and attack.

Author's Note: The standard battle tank for the Allies. Faster than its Soviet counterpart.

Rocketeer
RANGE: Short-Medium
ARMOR: None
WEAPON: 20mm Auto-Cannon
COST: 600

The Rocketeer is the aerial assault version of the simple Allied GI. Armed with a powerful weapon and strapped into an equally powerful jetpack, the Rocketeer hovers over the battlefield. Rocketeers are excellent in providing anti-air defence and air-to-ground attacks on weaker targets.

Author's Note: An aerial infantry that does well against infantry but is rather vulnerable to flak. Great at harassing, though I never really used them prior to this run.

War Factory
ARMOR: Wood
COST: 2000
POWER USAGE: 25
PURPOSE: Trains vehicles

If you wish to build vehicles (and you will), you will need a War Factory. All ground vehicles are created at the War Factory, although many may require the addition of other buildings to allow for production.

Author's Note: Absolutely required to create vehicles.

Wall
ARMOR: Concrete
COST: 100
POWER USAGE: None
PURPOSE: Perimeter defense

Walls are a passive defence system designed to stop enemy infantry and vehicles. Multiple pieces of wall section can be placed at once for quick building.

Author's Note: Not much to say about this other than it being similar to past games' walls.

Aftermath:

Faster than Par Time: "Your tank blitz stunned the Soviets, ending the battle in a few short hours."

Slower than Par Time: "Your grinding assault cost hundreds of lives but liberated the Air Force Academy."

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Having the rocketeers fly all the time is an enormous improvement in how it cuts down the amount of micromanagement you have to do.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Rocketeers are what jumpjet infantry should've been. It's really cool how we're getting to play with those on the second mission; it's going to be a while yet before we see my favorite Allied unit. Shame that, like JJIs, they aren't really that good and I don't think the campaign gives you a lot of opportunities to get good use out of them. I never wound up using rocketeers, whenever I needed to strike from the skies I just pulled in a few of those jets. In fact there's a mission coming up soon-ish that I always beat just by throwing like, 20 harriers at it.

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 6, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've played through this game at least five times and had absolutely no idea those rocketeers were there.
That being said, I think they are a very good unit - one advantage they have that I don't think the game ever really tells you about is that they can actually attack air units which makes them extremely useful in some later missions.
I used them a lot in this game mostly on account of refusing to use the boring standard tank. It makes this level take twice as long but it's winning in style.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 6, 2020

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

I've played through this game at least five times and had absolutely no idea those rocketeers were there.

Same, you really do get rewarded for exploring the maps, so far anyway. Also count me as a fan of the Rocketeer unit, while a bit expensive, en mass they can just tear through the enemy quite quickly, and they can actually take a few anti-air hits in return. Being able to just quickly and fairly safely scout around the map with a few of them alone makes them worthwhile, and a combo of them plus a few Grizzly Tanks to deal with anti-air can do some serious work. Not much to say for the Grizzly Tank though, it is pretty much just an updated Medium Tank, with all that entails, although their surprising speed is quite nice for crushing infantry and being able to chose when and where to fight at least. As for the mission, its a solid intro to Rocketeers and the basic tank, and presents an actual enemy base that will attack back, although as the under-par time message hints, if you flat out blitz them early, you can very quickly destroy some key buildings and cripple the Soviet base before it can even be a modest threat. Never knew of that little Soviet camp north of your base though, that is a cute little set-piece.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Watching people playing RA2 multiplayer, rocketeers are a huge deal in that, in terms of just roaming around the map, occasionally darting in to pick off a harvester. But yeah, I'll admit to not using them a lot when playing.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Having played RA2 before I played Tiberian Sun (which I got as part of the C&C collection EA did some years ago), I was disappointed by the jump troopers in the latter game: while the Rocketeers are indeed vulnerable to AA, I found that they are much easier to employ effectively than the jump troopers and it shows that Westwood learned how to improve the unit balancing between the two titles.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Tanya's uniform sure doesn't seem up to regulation.

"Sergeant sex pot, I'm going to need you do stop leaning over so much on account of this stiffy it's giving me."

Now that Eva. She's one classy dame...

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know long it took to convince and/or cast Barry Corbin as Carville way back in the Red Alert expansion but it was time well spent.

Anyways it took kid-me an embarrassingly long time to notice there weren't any flak guns on the back half of the Soviet base in this mission and I mostly spent my time building up way too many harriers because, well, True Lies.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Allied 02: Eagle Dawn

Shouldn't there be an entry for the planes we got as well?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

you know, I never actually knew the timeline placed this in the 70s, I had always thought that, with it being a splinter from the Tiberium timeline, this took place in 199X like Tiberian Dawn did.

Heck even with all of the campy and pulpy units, like the Rocketeer here, I honestly just thought we were in the mid-90s and everything was a love letter to movies like Commando

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I don't believe an exact statement of the date ever appears in-game. I've seen RA2 placed in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. As ever there's a bit more fluff in the PRIMA strategy guide, but I don't think anyone gives a formal date. You can just guess by the set dressing.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

"Just destroy the building, we don't have the resources for mounting a rescue operation. The world's future depends on you, Commander!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Groetgaffel posted:

Shouldn't there be an entry for the planes we got as well?

Can't build them but we'll be seeing them in the next vid.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
aesthetically it seems closest to the 90s, but in terms of trying to square the circle of command and conquer timelines, anything later than the 80s doesn't really make any sense. (although, without getting into spoilers, even the 60s doesn't technically work)

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Can't build them but we'll be seeing them in the next vid.

Fair enough!

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Fangz posted:

Watching people playing RA2 multiplayer, rocketeers are a huge deal in that, in terms of just roaming around the map, occasionally darting in to pick off a harvester. But yeah, I'll admit to not using them a lot when playing.

I was just about to type up a comment about rocketeers in MP, they are the main reason to play Allies in my opinion. Scouting and harassing is much more important against a human who can build up as fast as you can.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Slightly belated, but I always dislike it when games pull the stunt you see in the first mission here.

You bust your rear end trying to save something you're told is crucially important, succeed, and then the game takes away control and you get to watch it be destroyed anyway, or a tricky boss fight that you're finally winning and just when you take him down a cutscene kicks in and he curbstomps you. It's lovely writing and railroading.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Aces High posted:

you know, I never actually knew the timeline placed this in the 70s, I had always thought that, with it being a splinter from the Tiberium timeline, this took place in 199X like Tiberian Dawn did.

Heck even with all of the campy and pulpy units, like the Rocketeer here, I honestly just thought we were in the mid-90s and everything was a love letter to movies like Commando

I think RA2 was the point where Westwood finally decided that the two universes weren't connected after all.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyway:

Generals/ZH>RA2/YR>TS/FS>CNC3>C&C/RA>RA3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>TT

although on pure visuals I'd probably put C&C3 dead last

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
What's a ra3

The general is pretty good though.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

RA2's spot is the only one I agree with.

But that's a discussion for later. Several threads later.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I think RA2 was the point where Westwood finally decided that the two universes weren't connected after all.
Westwood had gently caress all to do with this game, though. IIRC "Westwood Pacific" had a couple devs from the original team at most. At this point, the CnC devs were working on Emperor and a spinoff game we haven't seen yet. Also the original - never released - CnC3 project that got scrapped in favor of a quickly canceled CnC MMO.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 7, 2020

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Mordja posted:

Former Westwood devs at Petroglyph did give a final answer to this. The short answer is yes, they did decide the two were not connected. They had intended to play with this a little, and we'll discuss just how in about three more games' time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

Westwood had gently caress all to do with this game, though. IIRC "Westwood Pacific" had a couple devs from the original team at most. At this point, the CnC devs were working on Emperor and a spinoff game we haven't seen yet. Also the original - never released - CnC3 project that got scrapped in favor of a quickly canceled CnC MMO.

They also had a team working on their MMO Earth and Beyond (which wasn't CnC related) and Pirates: The Legend of Black Katt for PS2.

Westwood were an extremely busy company most of their life.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There was also the RPG Nox, which has a minor C&C tie-in.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

kaosdrachen posted:

Slightly belated, but I always dislike it when games pull the stunt you see in the first mission here.

You bust your rear end trying to save something you're told is crucially important, succeed, and then the game takes away control and you get to watch it be destroyed anyway, or a tricky boss fight that you're finally winning and just when you take him down a cutscene kicks in and he curbstomps you. It's lovely writing and railroading.

Really? I thought the way that first mission goes is hilarious, because you don't lose map control, it's just there's this one dick rocket artillery on the other side of the map that launches a rocket (okay, I guess its kind of cutscene-powered in that that rocket is scripted to always oneshot the Statue). And then a bunch of Allied planes come in and light it up with missiles as payback.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

IIRC that one was Westwood Pacific too. Good game, though. A lot of fun in multiplayer.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
where does this go in your schedule, Jobbo?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fish Noise posted:

where does this go in your schedule, Jobbo?

N... nowhere?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Chronojam posted:

really? what was the tie in?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

N... nowhere?

Nowhere is sort of like a tiberian wasteland.

And that's like, all over the Earth in your last game.

So nowhere goes everywhere.

Therefore, it will be a sporadic game played whenever you are between games.

Gotcha!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Chronojam posted:

Man now there's a game I haven't thought of in loving years.

What was the C&C tie-in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

V. Illych L. posted:

really? what was the tie in?

Whoops, I meant LoL not Nox :v: Getting my 90s CRPGs confused

E: You quite literally run into half buried post-apocalyptic remnants of the tiberian war including the Temple of Nod while searching for the magical macguffin

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 8, 2020