Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The uneasy silence hangs in the air like a chemical fog, the old ways are dead. There is nothing left to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"Hey Bill nice day to wash the car-"

"Don't you talk to me no more"

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
I went to the costco in Polaris outside of Columbus and they had a line out the door, but it was nice and quick. Got plenty of snacks and produce and a poo poo ton of sparkling water for cheap. Cashier was named Mac and his nametag said 'N CHEESE' underneath that. PBUC.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cyrano4747 posted:

Not costco related but grocery store adjacent and I have to vent.

I want to slap someone at my local grocery store. I was there a few days ago and the TP was totally out. OK, fine, whatever, I found a few at the Aldi just down the street. No worries.

But I noticed a suspicious number of people walking around with packages of napkins. Well, people are idiots. It's not good for the sewers to wipe and flush with those but, again, idiots.

Then I got to the TP aisle and noticed that right in front of the empty TP shelves they'd put four loving pallets of napkins. It's not like there was a sign or anything telling people to wipe with those, but I've never seen so many napkins out at once and I've certainly never seen them parked right in front of the TP shelves.

loving city sewer should send them the bill for the inevitable repairs.

The Trader Joe's here did that and replaced their TP section with big bundles of tj napkins and yeah i was like what the gently caress, that ain't smart at all and it's no replacement

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

BONGHITZ posted:

The uneasy silence hangs in the air like a chemical fog, the old ways are dead. There is nothing left to say.

BONGHITZ, my brother. Harken to me.

The elder ways will return when we conquer this insidious virus. Our faith is being tested. But we are full of resolve.

The days of samples, the days of crowded aisles with oblivious old people. The days of an open food court and lively conversation. Of stocked shelves filled to the brim with a barely comprehensible surplus of products.

One dollar and fifty cents dog plus drink with refill.

Do not lose hope. We will turn this corner together.

Now do you have a moment to talk about Sunrun? We can lower your electricity bill by up to 20%.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lobsterboy posted:

I went to the costco in Polaris outside of Columbus and they had a line out the door, but it was nice and quick. Got plenty of snacks and produce and a poo poo ton of sparkling water for cheap. Cashier was named Mac and his nametag said 'N CHEESE' underneath that. PBUC.

Oh hey neighbor. I went over the weekend as well, and they're taking the distancing seriously. The BAI waters are good, btw. And the diet green tea. That goes to, anyone really.

Then the Kroger down the Parkway...lol, no difference from normal other than no paper products and the like.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I got some falafel from the co and it's extremely good

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I got gas; pulled right up. Then I parked, got out and stood there gazing at the line of folks waiting. Some had masks, others didn't. I'm not in the mask club.

I actually didn't need to go in that badly. Gas was enough.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone still buying the lobster bisque or similar soups a great way to stretch it out is mix it 1:1 with some cooked pasta, like elbows or spirals. Something small cooked a little al dente for the bite makes a huge differences from just slurping up the base soup.

I haven't tried making a few portions and fridge/freezing them yet but I would assume it'd be similar to reheated pasta and sauce.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
got that sweet kirkland gasoline today. doused my hands in sanitizer afterwards. no line. low prices. pbuc.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
You can even just use the gas and save sanitizer. Give that keypad a little spritz too.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Someone explain to me, in simple words, why I can find any fruit except bananas right now.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

a mysterious cloak posted:

Someone explain to me, in simple words, why I can find any fruit except bananas right now.

Bananas are grown a long, long way away. That said, the Dole ships are still coming in and offloading in San Diego.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

pentyne posted:

Anyone still buying the lobster bisque or similar soups a great way to stretch it out is mix it 1:1 with some cooked pasta, like elbows or spirals. Something small cooked a little al dente for the bite makes a huge differences from just slurping up the base soup.

I haven't tried making a few portions and fridge/freezing them yet but I would assume it'd be similar to reheated pasta and sauce.

I just like using baguette bread to thicken my lobster bisque

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Went to the Chicago ‘Co, there was a line down building and around, looked like a 3-hour wait at about 11am.

Drove 20 min to the ‘Co in the nearby burbs, walked right in. Got almost everything we wanted- no pork chops or butts, but they had ground beef, chicken breasts and thighs. No flour- sad, I’d have bought one of the 15 lb bags if found.

PBUC

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

a mysterious cloak posted:

Can or can't?

I expected fruit to be in limited supply, but as I mentioned yesterday they were actually marking a lot of it down at my location due to overabundance.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Can or can't?

I expected fruit to be in limited supply, but as I mentioned yesterday they were actually marking a lot of it down at my location due to overabundance.

I've found a lot of things like this that can be frozen indefinitely, people are avoiding fresh I guess but bananas etc keep forever!

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

grillster posted:

I got gas; pulled right up. Then I parked, got out and stood there gazing at the line of folks waiting. Some had masks, others didn't. I'm not in the mask club.

I actually didn't need to go in that badly. Gas was enough.

Why aren't you wearing a loving mask?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

number 1 snake fan posted:

Why aren't you wearing a loving mask?

Many people are not trained or aware of proper mask usage. Those people might be better off not wearing the masks that collect germs and make it easier to transfer and infect.

It’s the 2020 version of “security theater”

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Many people are not trained or aware of proper mask usage. Those people might be better off not wearing the masks that collect germs and make it easier to transfer and infect.

It’s the 2020 version of “security theater”

This is so false.

Masks work.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

MarcusSA posted:

This is so false.

Masks work.

the surgeon general and fauci lying to your faces that "masks don't work" has been one of the worst and most disruptive parts of this whole thing

yeah, they do work, they just didn't want you plebs to run out and buy them

they've also been lying aggressively about the timeline. Yeah, this week it's "oh yeah I guess it's not going to let up until the end of april".

It's probably not going to peak until at least june. It may not fully let up until august.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 7, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wear a drat mask

https://youtu.be/jZtEX2-n2Hc

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i made a mask from an old black shirt and i look like im robbing a bank when im out and its pretty rad

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

My parents apparently got their 'co order driven to them

Now they have all the toilet paper and probably control the cul-de-sac they live in like a baronet

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Went today around 3pm and things were fine. Had to queue outside for 5 - 10 mins but no lines at the cashiers. Still out of the typical hoarding items. They had frozen chicken thighs, mercifully. I was thinking of getting a combo pizza but they removed it from the food court! There's only pepperoni and cheese :( guess a pizza with veggies is a bigger vector for the 'rona or something

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Bananas come to a local distribution center green and kept unripe, and stored in massive vats and ripened on demand.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Xaris posted:

The Trader Joe's here did that and replaced their TP section with big bundles of tj napkins and yeah i was like what the gently caress, that ain't smart at all and it's no replacement

Our ‘co filled the TP spot with bottled water. Encouraging use as one shot bidets?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Vaguely Costco-related car-talk:

I'm a California transplant to Oregon so I am used to keeping my car topped off on gas in case of an earthquake or something.

However I barely drive it now, as I got a new job that I am working from home already with and my girlfriend is extremely jobless (I was able to snag her like one of the last Nintendo switch deals costco had online before they vanished everywhere so at least she's doing something! [PBUC])

She used to use our shared car the most for driving to work, so now the car is extremely unused. It's a prius also so the gas tank isn't too big, but should I put stabilizer into the gas due to under-use? Or just let the gas run empty in the next month or so? Is that something Costco can do or what?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

just buy a bottle of stabil and dump it in there, let car run for a minute or two, done

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
You're more likely to need a battery tender or an extended drive to charge the 12v battery than to have to worry about the gas going stale that fast. Stabil won't harm anything, but the basic battery is more of a concern.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Alarbus posted:

You're more likely to need a battery tender or an extended drive to charge the 12v battery than to have to worry about the gas going stale that fast. Stabil won't harm anything, but the basic battery is more of a concern.

Gas with ethanol will definitely start going to poo poo in a couple months without treatment. Add some stabil if you're not anticipating driving much for the medt couple.months.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah your battery (though it is a Prius so ???) is going to be the most immediate issue that will come up from not driving it at all. A fuel stabilizer won't hurt either. In addition just get the car up to temperature (a 15-20 minute actual drive for the engine itself to run) so the oil can flow around.
Don't store your care with an empty/low fuel tank either. Again this is for a car that's stored for years but you want the tank full so water can't gather in the exposed areas and get all gunky.

Just drive it once a month, really, you should be good.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

This is so false.

Masks work.

The science on the subject is cut and dry, most clinical studies don't show a tangible benefit for surgical masks, much less simple cloth coverings in a general public setting

If the virus is being carried by "aerosol" as people keep claiming? Basic and surgical masks won't do poo poo.

If someone walks up and sneezes in your face? Big help but you're gonna need to do a lot more after that to disinfect.

If you are carrying the virus, it really helps keep you from getting others sick.

If you want to wear a mask and expect it to limit your chance of infection you'll need to be in a high risk infection situation like a crowded subway or a hospital where a mask should make a difference. A mask is far less effective then keeping your distance, and its basically a hopeful method of last resort if all previous methods of hygiene didn't stop it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pentyne posted:

If you are carrying the virus, it really helps keep you from getting others sick.

Enough said. People need to stop quibbling on this poo poo. Wear a mask.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also most "cloth" masks are rigged with an additional filter from what I've seen and heard

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Also a mask reminds me not to touch my face

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

pentyne posted:

The science on the subject is cut and dry, most clinical studies don't show a tangible benefit for surgical masks, much less simple cloth coverings in a general public setting

If the virus is being carried by "aerosol" as people keep claiming? Basic and surgical masks won't do poo poo.

If someone walks up and sneezes in your face? Big help but you're gonna need to do a lot more after that to disinfect.

If you want to wear a mask and expect it to limit your chance of infection you'll need to be in a high risk infection situation like a crowded subway or a hospital where a mask should make a difference. A mask is far less effective then keeping your distance, and its basically a hopeful method of last resort if all previous methods of hygiene didn't stop it.

So how about we do all that, but also wear masks? :thunk:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Many people who carry the virus do not know that they are carrying the virus. Cover your nose and mouth in public, please. There is absolutely no good reason not to do this. If you're worried about looking funny, that train left the station like a month ago. Seeing other masked-up people in public also is an immediate sign of solidarity that you give a poo poo and want to help.

Please wear a mask, PBUC

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm going to keep wearing the mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Ever since moving to the suburbs, Costco is the most crowded place I go to locally. So if there’s one place to wear a mask, Co would be it