Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Anyone else wish CMANO has more pretty animations of ships being hit by incoming missles, including nukes, like old school Harpoon? I would play the game way more tbh.

Someone actually posted a different animation graphic the other day on Matrix. I'll have to dig it out and see if it works. I always thought the giant lightning bolt graphic was a bit anti-climactic. I guess seeing the map clear is proof enough.

edit : Looks like it's just impact.png. One could change that to something I guess. I'll test and see.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Yooper posted:

Someone actually posted a different animation graphic the other day on Matrix. I'll have to dig it out and see if it works. I always thought the giant lightning bolt graphic was a bit anti-climactic. I guess seeing the map clear is proof enough.

See, i will never forget that time in Harpoon (circa 1990) when the USS Missouri took two hits from nuclear tipped anti ship missiles, and did not sink until I was able to get her within gun range of the Soviet fleet, and sink a Kirov with naval gunfire, before Missouri sank. :911: PS. I had to close because I was literally out of harpoons, and 2/3rds of Missouri’s battle group had been sunk.

I don’t have nearly as great of memories around CMNAO scenarios. This is probably because CMNAO models things a tad bit better and would never let such amazing things happen, but I am going to blame not being able to see crappy late 1980s/early 1990s animations of missile impacts on naval vessels. :colbert:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ZombieLenin posted:

See, i will never forget that time in Harpoon (circa 1990) when the USS Missouri took two hits from nuclear tipped anti ship missiles, and did not sink until I was able to get her within gun range of the Soviet fleet, and sink a Kirov with naval gunfire, before Missouri sank. :911: PS. I had to close because I was literally out of harpoons, and 2/3rds of Missouri’s battle group had been sunk.

This reminds me of endless tries of getting the Yamato to sink the Enterprise in the Midway scenario of Carriers at War

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I don’t have nearly as great of memories around CMNAO scenarios. This is probably because CMNAO models things a tad bit better and would never let such amazing things happen, but I am going to blame not being able to see crappy late 1980s/early 1990s animations of missile impacts on naval vessels. :colbert:

I changed the nuclear strike icon to an actual mushroom cloud but it only appears for a second.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

gradenko_2000 posted:

This reminds me of endless tries of getting the Yamato to sink the Enterprise in the Midway scenario of Carriers at War

I have to tell you, closing on someone in a modern naval combat sim and actually being able to use 16 inch naval artillery to sink a Soviet Battlecruisers, still feels like one of my greatest grognard accomplishments—30 years later.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Yooper posted:

I changed the nuclear strike icon to an actual mushroom cloud but it only appears for a second.

Your mushroom cloud actually looks pretty cool, though for the record, my 'complaint' was not about ground strikes. It was about not getting to see cute animations from naval hits like this

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Your mushroom cloud actually looks pretty cool, though for the record, my 'complaint' was not about ground strikes. It was about not getting to see cute animations from naval hits like this

Ahh gotcha! Yah, you don't really get that level of cuteness. Though I wonder if you could make a "damage report" lua script. You can use unit damaged as a trigger, could be neat to give more data. Depending on how in-depth you could have it show different damage pictures.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

lol did it really play the Soviet national anthem each time?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Minenfeld! posted:

lol did it really play the Soviet national anthem each time?

yup!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Lock n' Load Digital is an exact transliteration of the tabletop wargame, for all that entails. I like it - it's buggy. I deployed a sniper, but misclicked and the sniper disappeared. But they're updating it pretty quickly, and it IS "early access," so...I'm fine with it. The price makes it a no-brainer as a fan of the board game.

COOL CORN posted:

Those are the sample scenarios. Buy the Normandy pack to get all the Normandy scenarios. By the Nam pack to get all of those. They're all there.

Those scenario packs are great, but just as a point of order, there are currently less than half of the Normandy scenarios from the board game in there. I assume they're going to be broken up into "Battlepacks," what with the first one labeled Battlepack 1.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Also it seems like nobody can figure out how the digital version does LOS. In the board game it's easy, but people are reporting a lot of miscalculations in the steam version.

But hey, $12 for both of those battle packs is fine, especially if I can find goons to play with.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I did notice that. Worst so far seems to be that building hexes block LOS at the hexside, not the building's outline.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I'm down for some LnL, though I never played the board game. PM or hit me up on the grog games Discord.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hypnobeard posted:

I'm down for some LnL, though I never played the board game. PM or hit me up on the grog games Discord.

Hypno is a good dude for some PBEM.

Ils ne passeront pas!

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Yooper posted:

Hypno is a good dude for some PBEM.

Ils ne passeront pas!

So close! We did absolutely murder that division in the north, though. Those 2400 casualties tipped is firmly into minor defeat. (Which doesn't sound impressive but given the short scenario length I'll take.)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Seconding LnL being fun but buggy. The current LoS rules are very weird, and on maps where the AI has to roll to move off set patrol routes it seems to roll one million times per unit instead of just once. I have also been finding the defensive scenarios much easier than the offensive ones, but that might just be my lack of skill.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Also, LnL's platoon level series - Nations at War - is coming out today, if that scale is more your thing.

I have one of the old games in the system and it's... fine. Very beer and pretzely.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

COOL CORN posted:

Also, LnL's platoon level series - Nations at War - is coming out today, if that scale is more your thing.

I have one of the old games in the system and it's... fine. Very beer and pretzely.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't try to adapt their newest World at War 85 stuff though that might come later.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And wow, they're really leaning into the "early" part of "Early Access"

quote:

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
"Currently the game has two exciting scenarios of the United States and German forces. These two scenarios can be played from either side."

These scenarios play in like 15 minutes.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Hmmmmm....wasn’t quite expecting this sort of a roll-out from LnL. They must be taking a page from the OOB playbook. (micro-transactions).

I hope there’s decent content on the way, but what we’ve just been given is the product of...how many years’ work?

I don’t hold out much hope.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

It's 15 bucks total for the base game and both available scenario packs. Kinda weird to hear you guys being put off by that in this, the thread for games that routinely cost 80 bucks even though they're worth about 20 tops.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Yeah what in the hell, early access or not it's three bucks for the core module. Battlefront this loving is not.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

So, I just recently bought Armored Brigade on a lark, anybody got suggestions for which scenarios to get started on to learn the system? Also, any good suggestions for additional nation/unit mods?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

LostCosmonaut posted:

So, I just recently bought Armored Brigade on a lark, anybody got suggestions for which scenarios to get started on to learn the system? Also, any good suggestions for additional nation/unit mods?

Best nation mod on the workshop is Factions Plus:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1915977721

Dude's up to 8 new nations and graphically they're up to the standard/style of the base game factions. It's actually really impressive.

I'll also mention I've got my own faction mod I occasionally post in this thread. Graphically it ain't up to the same standard as Factions Plus (I'm poo poo at graphics so most of my sprites are modified/kitbashed Steel Panthers sprites), but I'm up to five factions so far: Egypt, Israel, Japan, and alt-history US and Germany (full of all the weird cold war prototypes that never got built), extended to 1950-1995. Also extended the regular US/USSR into the new timeframe. I've been taking longer than I thought for the next faction but I'll post an updated version tomorrow with some bug fixes/small improvements I've made in the mean time.

Map-wise, anything by Stevie-Lee is great. He's made a bunch of 15kmx15km maps of diverse environments. For example:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2032702134

Combine his Vietnam maps with Factions Plus and you can run reasonable US in Vietnam or Chinese invasion of Vietnam scenarios.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
No one has complained about the LnL pricing. Calm down.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I would like to complain about the LnL ui though: it’s bad

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

LnL. What level is it? Low obviously, but is it squads or individual soldiers. Also any vehicles involved.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
https://youtu.be/ByXbzlqCjGQ

Shadow Empires preview!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Deptfordx posted:

LnL. What level is it? Low obviously, but is it squads or individual soldiers. Also any vehicles involved.

Lock and Load is an Advanced-Squad-Leader alike - the basic unit is a squad, while leaders, snipers, and crew-served weapons are represented as individual separate units.

___

Other content:

I'm in a PBEM right now with Hypnobeard for Serbia '14 and the dynamic in these games is really something else.

Normally you'd want to Disrupt all the enemy units in a hex before assaulting, but:

* if you don't have (lots of) artillery, it's very difficult to cause all the Disruption you want/need just from machine gun fire, which usually have a range of two hexes
* so, you have to approach the enemy hex with your regular infantry, which have a range of one hex, and shoot with them to help you get a Disruption
* but that tends to expose that infantry to getting shot up by enemy machine guns themselves
* and the pace of movement is so slow that you usually need an entire turn just to move the one hex to become adjacent to the enemy
* and if your infantry gets Disrupted, then you can't Assault with them anymore
* so even if you manage to get the Disruption result that you need, you need to take one whole turn to get your infantry in place, then they need to survive the inter-turn without getting Disrupted, and only then can you launch your Assault

a lot of the time this isn't going to work out the way you want: either your infantry is standing in No Man's Land with an un-Disrupted target hex that you don't want to assault just yet, or one or two regiments become Disrupted just before you launch your assault so you either have to call the whole thing off, or risk assaulting with 2:1 or even just 1:1 odds

if you stack more than one regiment per hex, then you might have more regiments available to launch the assault, with two regiments per hex means you're also taking that much more losses from defensive fire

and even if you shuffle-off a Disrupted regiment and replace it with a fresh regiment, that fresh regiment still can't assault until the next turn anyway

it really gives you a feeling of being this dumbshit general that's pissing away men at a prodigous rate even if you think you're doing everything right and by-the-book

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 8, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

I can't listen currently but from just quickly scrolling through that video:

How is a game being made NOW able to look so much like it is from 1998? It MUST be an intentional design decision, right? Like they are trying to appeal to audience nostalgia for old strategy games. That's the only explanation for how insanely dated and ugly it looks.

Look at the dude standing outside the bunker at 10:10 lmao. I mean what the gently caress:

He looks worse than the meme whose whole point is to look bad:

Sorry, I don't know why this has triggered me so much. Maybe the game is amazing. Someone please tell me I'm an idiot and this is actually a re-release of a game from 2003.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s mostly made by one dude and I think his budget for outside expertise is fairly small.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
yeah but you'd think his budget would stretch to "looking at a game made in the last decade"

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Pirate Radar posted:

It’s mostly made by one dude and I think his budget for outside expertise is fairly small.

It's not even one dude anymore Vic has like two full time employees.

Just none of them are any good at this newfangled 'Graphics' thing.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

fuf posted:

yeah but you'd think his budget would stretch to "looking at a game made in the last decade"

I kind of wish he’d started with the CG before now, actually, because I would love it if DC:B had goofy 3D models of Train Nazi and Truck Nazi frowning at you in between turns.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
... Have not played a grog game before?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's extremely weird because DC:B is a prime example of how you can use text and decent 2D portraits to good effect to create a narrative that would be ruined if you used bad 3D animation. Star Traders is another good example.

Passable 2D with bright colours always looks better than crappy self-help 3D and is cheaper.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Saros posted:

It's not even one dude anymore Vic has like two full time employees.

Just none of them are any good at this newfangled 'Graphics' thing.

Ah okay, I didn’t know. I guess I assumed he’d gotten into 3D art himself.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Grey Hunter posted:

... Have not played a grog game before?

I've played enough that I now think it's an intentional design decision. Especially when it comes to UI. I really think a lot of devs (and audiences?) are like "well it's not a proper grog game unless the UI looks like this", and unfortunately that means rows of ugly metallic buttons and bad "military" fonts.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

fuf posted:

I've played enough that I now think it's an intentional design decision. Especially when it comes to UI. I really think a lot of devs (and audiences?) are like "well it's not a proper grog game unless the UI looks like this", and unfortunately that means rows of ugly metallic buttons and bad "military" fonts.

They should have sent a UI designer, not a poet.

Yup, add to cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I have been waiting for this since the first snippets on Vic's website. Looks amazing.

Yeah the graphics are funky - but like so what? I love having stuff like this in my game - why does small = normal and normal = large? Who knows! It's great.