Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackgreywhite
Apr 7, 2019

and pink.
The best guess of the BBC is that Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab would be asked to form a Government by Her Maj (God Bless 'er) until the Tories appoint a new leader. Apparently there's a pdf manual for this stuff https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/60641/cabinet-manual.pdf
I think they should appoint Ant and Dec or someone from Essex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

blackgreywhite posted:

The best guess of the BBC is that Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab would be asked to form a Government by Her Maj (God Bless 'er) until the Tories appoint a new leader. Apparently there's a pdf manual for this stuff https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/60641/cabinet-manual.pdf
I think they should appoint Ant and Dec or someone from Essex.

how the gently caress does your country not have anything written down if your PM dies

that's insane

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

They should appoint James Bond. He is cool. I dont know how any of this works because im American

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Look if Boris Johnson dies trump becomes prime minister. You might argue "thats not how it works, thats not how any of it works" but the UK decided it could have a living body of laws instead of a written constitution so much like a dog playing football, there's no rules saying that can't happen.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Barudak posted:

Look if Boris Johnson dies trump becomes prime minister. You might argue "thats not how it works, thats not how any of it works" but the UK decided it could have a living body of laws instead of a written constitution so much like a dog playing football, there's no rules saying that can't happen.

Oh like Air Bud

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

yeah, make the dead dog the prime minister

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Inept posted:

how the gently caress does your country not have anything written down if your PM dies

that's insane

they don't need a special rules for everything. when weird poo poo happens the queen can just do whatever she wants

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Serious question from someone not English: what's the difference of BoJo being admitted to ICU, getting ventilated and getting critical care?

blackgreywhite
Apr 7, 2019

and pink.

Rutibex posted:

they don't need a special rules for everything. when weird poo poo happens the queen can just do whatever she wants

Yeah, that's it. And that freedom is one of the reasons there were fears of Charlie getting on the throne, because he might be liable to having 'funny ideas'.
Anyway, a sign of what Trump thinks of the current acting British PM? -

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Inept posted:

yeah, make the dead dog the prime minister

We already did, that's kind of the problem we have right now

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Serious question from someone not English: what's the difference of BoJo being admitted to ICU, getting ventilated and getting critical care?

It's hard to tell what stage he's at, as all the government spokespeople are blatantly playing things down.* All I can say is, I think he's much sicker than they're admitting to.

*Except for IDS, who remains as magnificently clueless as ever.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Good article explaining the terms used here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52193264

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Hmmm, I figure there'd be a sword involved somehow. Either pulled from a stone, or handed to someone by a lady in a lake, or just a good ol' duel.

Extremely disappointed.

Its a mace, you oaf!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I cannot beleive that Boris Johnson, the bestest and most popular brit as was objectively shown by élection générale as they say in the UK is loving dead

Edit: Yes, Trump will appoint Jared Kushner to lead the UK through these trying times as his vassal

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 7, 2020

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Inept posted:

that's insane

It's a system governed in large part by conventions. i.e. people going "hmm... well, what did we do the last few times this happened?"

If it hasn't happened much then they just figure it out as they go

In this case it's pretty clear since the Tories have a majority in parliament, they'd be expected to arrange somehow for another of their MPs to become prime minister and the Queen would wave it through.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's hard to tell what stage he's at, as all the government spokespeople are blatantly playing things down.* All I can say is, I think he's much sicker than they're admitting to.

*Except for IDS, who remains as magnificently clueless as ever.

Washington Post is saying he is getting Oxygen Assistance at the moment.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Hammerite posted:

In this case it's pretty clear since the Tories have a majority in parliament, they'd be expected to arrange somehow for another of their MPs to become prime minister and the Queen would wave it through.

Lions and tigers and leadership spills.

Worst case scenario is that you end up with a no confidence motion being carried and go to the polls. It would be political suicide to push that option at the moment and it would hamper the covid-19 response.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The BBC reported this morning that he’s not being ventilated, but is somewhere that that can happen almost instantly if it’s required.

spacetoaster posted:

So who takes over if he dies?

Like, if Trump were to die, we'd get President Pence.

Does the Queen just take over?

In the UK, the person leading the government is almost irrelevant, despite the efforts of the press to turn the electoral process into the mass popularity contest the US enjoys. We elect the Conservative Party or the Labour Party, and the method by which the leader of those parties is elevated to their position is obscure to the broad mass of the populace, basically a vote by members of the party itself.

The concept of a deputy Prime Minister seemed novel to me when Tony Blair had one, I just assumed (like everyone else) that the parties had a plan in place if something happened to interrupt the normal functions of government. There’s not usually a “vice Prime Minister”. I mention Tony Blair, because it was widely reported at the time that he’d made a deal to just kind of let Gordon Brown be PM for a bit (which ended up happening), much like you might lend your lawnmower to a neighbour.

Inept posted:

that's insane

The one cool thing they do have to write down when they become Prime Minister is instructions to our nuclear fleet in the event Parliament is effectively destroyed by nuclear war. Options include surrendering control of the fleet to our allies if any such remain, literally running away to live on a desert island, or :black101:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Waltzing Along posted:

I know, back in the day (and currently, of course) there was a sizable number of people who hated Thatcher and would have taken to the streets in celebration were she to die in office. The same as how we hated Reagan. How is Bojo viewed in comparison? If Thatcher is 100 on the hatred scale...

Depends who by.

As leader, he’s only been in a short time so the end consequences of anything he’s done haven’t really come into play yet. Mainly he lied, obfuscated, blocked the Russia report, lied some more, then inexplicably won the election in a landslide.

But it’s clear that Brexit as a whole is his fault in large part, he was complicit in all the austerity bullshit we’ve suffered under for the last decade (including deliberately underfunding the NHS), and has assembled the most right wing bastard government possible with a strong mandate, somehow.

Rich tories like him cos he’s one of them.
Poor racist & nationalist people like him cos he’s “a bit of a buffoon” and is supported by our horrific press. Despite his policies basically being “stab poors in the eye”.

Everyone sane hates him, knows his government is scary and that Russia probably helped get Brexit done.

That leaves the other 50%.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

not a doctor, but I think ICU is one form of critical care (others might be e.g. neonatal critical care). Getting admitted to ICU basically means he's next to a ventilator and other expensive machines that go 'ping' in case they're needed.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

So who takes over if he dies?

Like, if Trump were to die, we'd get President Pence.

Does the Queen just take over?

Covid-19 becomes Prime Minister

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’m not particularly fond of the idea that Russia had anything to do with Brexit at all. There’s more than enough stupid racists to go around; “never attribute to malice…” etc. It gives people a cheap thrill to say WAKE UP SHEEPLE, when really nothing about Brexit is in the least surprising.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

lol if we're on our fourth PM since the referendum before brexit actually goes through

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Torquemada posted:

I’m not particularly fond of the idea that Russia had anything to do with Brexit at all. There’s more than enough stupid racists to go around; “never attribute to malice…” etc. It gives people a cheap thrill to say WAKE UP SHEEPLE, when really nothing about Brexit is in the least surprising.

It’s not an idea, an extensive report has been done into this. The question isn’t “was there interference” as there was undoubtedly huge unaccountable money finding the leave vote campaign. The only question is who provided it, and was that all they did.

And the very good reasons for not releasing the report detailing whether or not they actually did interfere, prior to an election which became a defacto Brexit confirmation vote was...?

If the answer was “no interference”, the report would be out already.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

spacetoaster posted:

Hmmm, I figure there'd be a sword involved somehow. Either pulled from a stone, or handed to someone by a lady in a lake, or just a good ol' duel.

Extremely disappointed.

In principle, you're correct. Except, instead of of a stone, it's a dead pig. Instead of a sword, it's a penis. And instead of the lady in the lake, it's the Daily Mail.

blackgreywhite
Apr 7, 2019

and pink.

nonathlon posted:

In principle, you're correct. Except, instead of of a stone, it's a dead pig. Instead of a sword, it's a penis. And instead of the lady in the lake, it's the Daily Mail.

It's always the Daily Mail - bastards that they are.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

wooger posted:

It’s not an idea, an extensive report has been done into this. The question isn’t “was there interference” as there was undoubtedly huge unaccountable money finding the leave vote campaign. The only question is who provided it, and was that all they did.

And the very good reasons for not releasing the report detailing whether or not they actually did interfere, prior to an election which became a defacto Brexit confirmation vote was...?

If the answer was “no interference”, the report would be out already.

My contention is that the result would have been the same regardless of who funded it or how money was spent. Or to put it another way, if some shadowy organisation had put a vast amount of money and time into the Remain campaign, we’d still be leaving.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
see this is why its funny

https://twitter.com/Sisyphusa/status/1247457266980343808

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know what happened to the pigs head Cameron stuck his dick in? I think we should make that Prime Minister.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Does anyone know what happened to the pigs head Cameron stuck his dick in? I think we should make that Prime Minister.

"Killed itself" in prison

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jeffery epswine

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Inept posted:

that's insane

we make things up as we go along. it's not insane, just quite silly :catstare:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

I've changed my mind, I now hope he lives and has to come to terms with the fact that he was unable to turn germs away with a stiff upper lip and a can-do attitude.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Inept posted:

that's insane

Do most countries have that written down? I know the US does, but does France, or Germany, or Italy?

Generally speaking the idea is the Head of State picks a new premier who can command the confidence of the legislature :shrug:

(Parliament does not elect the Prime Minister. The Queen picks him. He is, as the name indicates, actually her chief servant; formally speaking Parliament has nothing to do with it. Technically there's no requirement he even be a member of it, though it would be a bit awkward if she really did pick say Trump from a procedural point of view).

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 7, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Torquemada posted:

My contention is that the result would have been the same regardless of who funded it or how money was spent. Or to put it another way, if some shadowy organisation had put a vast amount of money and time into the Remain campaign, we’d still be leaving.

Your contention is loving stupid.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

wooger posted:

inexplicably won the election in a landslide.

lol

It's perfectly explicable to anybody who doesn't live in a bubble where they only interact with other Guardian readers

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Hammerite posted:

lol

It's perfectly explicable to anybody who doesn't live in a bubble where they only interact with other Guardian readers

the Guardian ran nonstop attack ads on Labour on a level above anybody else throughout that election

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Butterfly Valley posted:

Your contention is loving stupid.

Any preference to how we continue this conversation?

1) Polite: How so?

2) Sarcastic: Wow, you really told me there chief. I’m now convinced we live in a perfect Remain utopia that was only ruined by the intervention of the dastardly Red Menace.

3) Hostile: Go gently caress yourself.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Torquemada posted:

Any preference to how we continue this conversation?

1) Polite: How so?

2) Sarcastic: Wow, you really told me there chief. I’m now convinced we live in a perfect Remain utopia that was only ruined by the intervention of the dastardly Red Menace.

3) Hostile: Go gently caress yourself.

4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

kecske posted:

the Guardian ran nonstop attack ads on Labour on a level above anybody else throughout that election

what's your point?

"Guardian reader" does not literally mean a person who reads the Guardian newspaper. It's a widely-understood shorthand descriptor of a particular demographic.