Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Zwingley posted:

Out of curiosity, does this also apply to Magician, Fool, and Strength re: their respective story/task gates?

I believe so yes. Well with a rather large caveat that's a major spoiler for the end of the original game.

The stuff you say to Igor in December in the endgame matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zwingley posted:

Out of curiosity, does this also apply to Magician, Fool, and Strength re: their respective story/task gates?

Magician and Fool rank up completely automatically based on specific story events and are thus removed from the traditional "points" system. Strength ranks up based on the requests, so it also doesn't use points.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I wish they'd done something to spruce up the legacy Akechi encounters. Like he runs into the group in a crowd and is all "oh hey you're all the ones from the TV station" and it's like "uh dude, we've hung out together multiple times now." Or when he shows up at Leblanc for the first time and says "wow I never imagined you'd live in a cafe like this" despite the fact that you tell him flat out you live in the attic of a cafe in the new confidant scenes.

It's a minor nitpick in what has otherwise been a phenomenal updated re-release, but still.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sydin posted:

I wish they'd done something to spruce up the legacy Akechi encounters. Like he runs into the group in a crowd and is all "oh hey you're all the ones from the TV station" and it's like "uh dude, we've hung out together multiple times now." Or when he shows up at Leblanc for the first time and says "wow I never imagined you'd live in a cafe like this" despite the fact that you tell him flat out you live in the attic of a cafe in the new confidant scenes.

It's a minor nitpick in what has otherwise been a phenomenal updated re-release, but still.

I'd like to think he's being an intentionally obtuse rear end in a top hat to mess with you.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I did it.

I hooked up with my high school homeroom teacher

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Anyone have any interesting persona fusion tips to share? Seems like the balanced out a lot of the easy to get/overpowered abilities I remember. Spent a while grinding bicorn for apt pupil. Leveling Matador for Swift Strike even though its been nerfed and Suzaku for speed master. Or unexpectedly useful accessories, there are so many available I haven't looked too closely at most of them.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

arisu posted:

I did it.

I hooked up with my high school homeroom teacher

Uhhh, you did not "hook up" with her, you started a meaningful relationship where you are both dedicated to supporting each other :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Tae rules and I felt like poo poo blowing her off in the Rank 9, but I lust for new content and will be romancing Yoshizawa.

Who is most definitely not a weird ghost or cognitive thing related to the girl her age who was explicitly mentioned to have died at the start of the game. No sir. I'm sure there will be no shocking revelations about her and her "dead little sister" going forward whatsoever.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Zwingley posted:

Magician and Fool automatically level through the plot, no input needed.
Strength you need to put in the fusion work but it doesn't advance time and it has no other requirements. Just keep on top of it and you'll be fine.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Through some miracle, I managed to defeat Okumura by the skin of Joker’s teeth. It will forever baffle me that anyone signed off on that obnoxious gauntlet with so many irritating gimmicks.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The guide I'm following says now play darts and score 180 on the first time playing, then do it again the next round, lmao okay. I think I'm just gonna freestyle it from here on out. The darts game is fun, though.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Calling it a night because I need to decide whether to be a womanizing jerk romancing all the social links, or actually be a decent human being in a Persona game for once.

Too difficult a decision for tonight. This requires thought before I start down the romance path with Tae Takemi.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

The guide I'm following says now play darts and score 180 on the first time playing, then do it again the next round, lmao okay. I think I'm just gonna freestyle it from here on out. The darts game is fun, though.

It is actually pretty easy to get that score. Rest the aiming oval so that one of the tips is covering the triple 20 area and wait for the aiming point to hit the area.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

THF13 posted:

Anyone have any interesting persona fusion tips to share? Seems like the balanced out a lot of the easy to get/overpowered abilities I remember. Spent a while grinding bicorn for apt pupil. Leveling Matador for Swift Strike even though its been nerfed and Suzaku for speed master. Or unexpectedly useful accessories, there are so many available I haven't looked too closely at most of them.

They seem to really be pushing you to use Fusion Alerts. You can get some neat skills hella early with some luck.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My ultimate persona has always been a White Rider with Gun Boost, Triple Down, Crit Bonus, and the Gun crit skill. Anything that isn't immune to gun dies basically instantly and constant crits mean you get free turns. Baton passes probably make this even more insane this time around since you can basically do the exact same build onto Haru

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Hunt11 posted:

It is actually pretty easy to get that score. Rest the aiming oval so that one of the tips is covering the triple 20 area and wait for the aiming point to hit the area.

Also you don't have to use the motion controls to throw the dart, just press X. This makes it approximately 1000x easier.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

THF13 posted:

Also you don't have to use the motion controls to throw the dart, just press X. This makes it approximately 1000x easier.

:lol: what the actual gently caress, I just tried this and it breaks the difficulty over your knee. 3x triple 20's is trivial.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

:lol: what the actual gently caress, I just tried this and it breaks the difficulty over your knee. 3x triple 20's is trivial.

It goes against everything you know about aiming but it doesn’t matter because it works so well.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I am on 10/4 right now. Do I have enough time ot max out Futaba if she's rank 4 right now?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Fat_Cow posted:

So I am on 10/4 right now. Do I have enough time ot max out Futaba if she's rank 4 right now?

The full 100% guide I'm using as a rough guide has Hermit at 5 by the end of October, looking ahead it maxes it out in November.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fat_Cow posted:

There is plenty of time to max her out.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sydin posted:

Tae rules and I felt like poo poo blowing her off in the Rank 9, but I lust for new content and will be romancing Yoshizawa.

Anyone have a hint of what her romance item is?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Is there a way to track social skill progress now? I thought I read that somewhere but I don't see it in game anywhere

Ice Cream Tragedy
Apr 6, 2020

Jackie D posted:

Is there a way to track social skill progress now? I thought I read that somewhere but I don't see it in game anywhere

If you go into a restroom the game tells you (roughly) how close you are to leveling up each stat.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Trophy list currently has the completion rate for the Castle of Lust at 69% among players.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Grey Fox posted:

Trophy list currently has the completion rate for the Castle of Lust at 69% among players.

hee-nice-ho

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm in September and some stuff with the story is really rubbing me the wrong way.

Everything to do with Ryuji being an rear end in a top hat to Morgana I remembered from before but Ryuji and Ann wanting to use the Phantom Thieves to get personally famous and rich really makes me want to tell them to get hosed. They get all excited and talking about who from this list should we choose to give a change of heart and it feels really gross.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm in September and some stuff with the story is really rubbing me the wrong way.

Everything to do with Ryuji being an rear end in a top hat to Morgana I remembered from before but Ryuji and Ann wanting to use the Phantom Thieves to get personally famous and rich really makes me want to tell them to get hosed. They get all excited and talking about who from this list should we choose to give a change of heart and it feels really gross.

Good thing that when it all comes crashing down they all call themselves out for acting like that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BGrifter posted:

Calling it a night because I need to decide whether to be a womanizing jerk romancing all the social links, or actually be a decent human being in a Persona game for once.

Too difficult a decision for tonight. This requires thought before I start down the romance path with Tae Takemi.

Tell me what you decide because I'm also struggling.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm in June just after the TV station and Ryuji is already making me really mad despite the fact that nothing has changed in Royal. He's full-on yelling all the time and is really into weaponizing the change of heart onto anyone who is rude to him, including some guy who bumps into him. It's even more infuriating when you realize how much of the obstacles that the team face are the direct result of Ryuji being totally unhinged

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ryuji is actually the best character in the game and the only one with demonstrated principles beyond "whatever joker tells me to think"

e: oh right, plus akechi

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm in June just after the TV station and Ryuji is already making me really mad despite the fact that nothing has changed in Royal. He's full-on yelling all the time and is really into weaponizing the change of heart onto anyone who is rude to him, including some guy who bumps into him. It's even more infuriating when you realize how much of the obstacles that the team face are the direct result of Ryuji being totally unhinged

That’s more or less how he was in base p5 though.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

There are a lot of times where they seem to just use Ryuji as a tool to get someone to stay something dumb to cause trouble regardless of whether it makes sense for his character.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Ryuji reminds me a lot of my IRL dog, and honestly you could probably just make him a magical talking dog in the same style of Morgana with very few changes to the script. It'd make their rivalry make even more sense!

He's impulsive and emotional, and when he does put his foot in his mouth it's usually for an understandable reason - it's just his execution that's wrong. That's literally his entire backstory with Kamoshida, and he also plainly recognizes this as a character flaw that gets him in trouble and that others can manipulate. However, his conclusion is more "I am what I am" rather than looking to change himself.

And regarding being an rear end in a top hat to Morgana, they're at the exact opposite ends of roguish archetype. It'd be weird if they didn't clash - and Morgana is just as insulting and assholish to him, it's just more condescending and also front-loaded in the first couple Palaces

In terms of September stuff, I haven't gotten there myself in P5R, but my memory is that it's purposefully written to show things starting to fray as the gang gets more arrogant and powerful. It's meant to feel gross because they've gone from being Robin Hood to Elon Musk. If this was a typical heist story that's where people's competing ideologies would split the gang apart... and, well!!

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

WarpDogs posted:

Ryuji reminds me a lot of my IRL dog, and honestly you could probably just make him a magical talking dog in the same style of Morgana with very few changes to the script. It'd make their rivalry make even more sense!

He's impulsive and emotional, and when he does put his foot in his mouth it's usually for an understandable reason - it's just his execution that's wrong. That's literally his entire backstory with Kamoshida, and he also plainly recognizes this as a character flaw that gets him in trouble and that others can manipulate. However, his conclusion is more "I am what I am" rather than looking to change himself.

And regarding being an rear end in a top hat to Morgana, they're at the exact opposite ends of roguish archetype. It'd be weird if they didn't clash - and Morgana is just as insulting and assholish to him, it's just more condescending and also front-loaded in the first couple Palaces

In terms of September stuff, I haven't gotten there myself in P5R, but my memory is that it's purposefully written to show things starting to fray as the gang gets more arrogant and powerful. It's meant to feel gross because they've gone from being Robin Hood to Elon Musk. If this was a typical heist story that's where people's competing ideologies would split the gang apart... and, well!!

It's the lesson of Intention, Action, Consequence, right? Ryuji never has bad intentions; his actions just aren't thought out well or carried out correctly. He's instant gratification and goes for whatever action he can do the soonest. Only based on the first palace, he struggles with anxiety as well, which makes sense since he's used to seeing adverse outcomes from his actions. It's like a feedback loop of consistently loving up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ryuji's also the most susceptible to power-tripping because his life was completely in the shitter before the PT let him direct his angst in a more positive direction (which it did largely at his prompting)

like the crusade against abusive power figures was propelled mostly by ryuji at first, joker kind of got caught up in his slipstream and took charge because for all of ryuji's better qualities the boy ain't too bright

pure of heart, dumb of rear end

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm so mad, I wanted to get everyone maxed before doing Shido's Palace, but the game locks you out of party Confidants when you only have a week left before the deadline and you haven't finished the Palace! :argh: I'm left with only Yusuke and Haru (and Mishima, but he's unavailable while this Palace is still up) left at Rank 9 each. It's not a huge problem, the benefits of maxing them aren't that huge, but I was using Yusuke especially a ton this playthrough.

I was two days short. I probably could have just maxed Takemi and Shinya last and been golden with no other changes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

WarpDogs posted:

Yeah it's definitely mean to make the player feel uncomfortable and that's fine. Honestly the whole plot point that the PT's get up their own rear end about how great they are and start focusing more on popularity than actually helping people, which almost causes their downfall is fine as a storybeat, the problem for me is that it's really only Ryuji and to a somewhat lesser extent Ann who ever really act like that. Morgana, Makoto, Yusuke, and Joker (unless you pick some really boneheaded dialogue choices) are all pretty firmly on the side of those two being morons for focusing on popularity and every time they bring up stuff like revealing themselves for the fame they get shouted down. Futaba and Haru join way too late to really be wrapped up in any of that either. You could argue they're all complicit because they went along with changing Okumura's heart for no other reason to appease the public, but while that may have been the initial reason they find out he does have a palace, the palace and his later actions around Haru confirm he's a piece of poo poo, and they ultimately complete the heist more to save Haru than to be popular. It just didn't work for me in the original, maybe P5R does something to clean it up.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So I'm infiltrating Palace 4 right now. I am enjoying playing through again but I am still thinking this could have been a like $30 DLC for vanilla P5 on ps4. Even the "redesigned" Palaces to accommodate the grappling hook is so minor I'm not even using them unless it for a Will Seed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

mateo360 posted:

So I'm infiltrating Palace 4 right now. I am enjoying playing through again but I am still thinking this could have been a like $30 DLC for vanilla P5 on ps4. Even the "redesigned" Palaces to accommodate the grappling hook is so minor I'm not even using them unless it for a Will Seed.

I mean yeah that was true of P4G as well. Atlus gonna Atlus.