Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Relationships are weird in X4, and inherit somewhat from X rebirth.

Essentially you can attack factions but not necessarily piss them off. If you shoot up a ship you'll lose "temporary relations" with that ship, this also happens if you annoy the cops. But you won't necessarily lose rep with the faction proper. And if you do it might only be a point or two.

They also, in a recent patch, added some kind of distance limitation whereby if ships are far away from help they will fire off distress beacons rather than ringing up the space cops to dob you in, which apparently if you shoot down the beacons, it will mask your rep loss.

Unfortunately I don't actually know how reliable it is or how specifically it works, because it's not documented anywhere I know of :v:

But broadly you should at least be able to take a murder mission and kill someone without permanently making enemies of the entire faction. Just don't do it too often. As far as i know things like ANT/ARG and MIN/TEL rep are tracked separately yes, so you can prey on one without overtly harming rep with the other, though if you're enemies with one it might make traversing the space of the other difficult, and if you get into fights there then the other faction is unlikely to appreciate it.

Factions will generally isssue missions against their enemies (including xenon and khaak and random criminals) but there's no clear determinant about who will be the target, I think it's fairly random though it might say "kill ships belonging to X faction" when you look at the offer. What determines which faction it picks though I think is random.

There are "war missions" which are themed around specific fights, like the ARG/HOP war. If you sign up with argon command they will have big chains of random missions glued together geared around fighting the HOP, they also have one for the xenon, and the HOP and PAR have equivalents depending on who you want to sign up with. I assume ZYA/FRF have chains for them too if you get your rep up with them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Factions only monitor bubbles around their stations of about ~30km (IIRC), and maybe near their police/fighters as well). If you can catch a target outside that bubble you can mess them up without much of a problem, so long as you shoot down the distress drones that they will launch. Keep an eye out for systems with long gaps between stations. They launch distress drones a little too often in my opinion but w/e. The easiest targets are miners, since they tend to hang out in belts far from stations and far from sector centers.

Rep is also easy enough to get that minor hits arnt a big deal.

For fighting, you can search sectors for pirates and hunt them down. Minotaurs are the most common pirate ship, and are usually stuffed with mines or laser towers. They make decent additions to your fleet if you capture them and the cargo is usually worth a good amount to sell off. Just keep an eye out for pirate capitals. They are tough targets in 3.0. My second ship in my 3.0 game was a captured Minotaur and i bummed around for like 15 game hours doing various missions with a lot of pirate fighting and patrol missions thrown in.

If you get a police license - it takes 10 rep with a faction, and talking to their faction representative - you can get paid $$ for each faction enemy ship you *personally* kill within the reporting radius of the factions stations. Your other ships do not count.

i'm doing a lot of Xenon fighting but its basically being subsidized by my other activities. Even a mission to kill a K only needs ~1.2 million, not enough to cover more than losing a single fighter. Though I do have the long term goal of claiming a sector with a good soundtrack (most valuable resource). And the sheer quantify of xenon i'm killing with a gate blockade is resulting in steady profits from selling off Decryption Modules and the like.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish you could 1. Get paid for things your fleet kills, because it'd be nice to get paid for operating defence stations. And 2. Get your stations to collect items and cargo with cargo drones, it'd be a lot more useful than having your capships be able to do it.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I wish you could 1. Get paid for things your fleet kills, because it'd be nice to get paid for operating defence stations. And 2. Get your stations to collect items and cargo with cargo drones, it'd be a lot more useful than having your capships be able to do it.

There is a mod for #1

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1700645587

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, so I'll only get credits for killing pirate ships if they're within ~30km of a station? Even with the police license? drat, they really have made it hard to go bounty hunting. No idea why really, since it's not like it was the most profitable way to get cash in X3TC, anyway. Alright well, looks like I'll have to resort to piracy - probably in the Paranid and Split splinter-faction space, seeing as they likely have enough to worry about, without needing to go looking for me. :D
So I'm thinking that I might later use my ill-gotten gains to make a space drug station in my own sector, then build the hull plate+weapons factories later on, once I can afford to branch out from illegal/legally grey activities.

EDIT: I'm hoping I can lay claim to the Silent Witness sector, since I bet there are a heap of appropriate company names I can think of, related to it. Like "Silent Witness Wetwork" or something, if I start assassinating traders, etc. for those random missions :v:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 7, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry about the double-post, but I just thought about something, related to the piracy talk. So, if I go out into an asteroid field far from a station and start blasting a mining ship, what happens if another ship is nearby, or catches sight of us? Will I get into trouble right away, or will they head back for the cops? Or will they simply keep their distance, with no negatives for me?

EDIT: Oh also, I stumbled upon an asteroid that gave me nearly half a million in minerals...so yeah, maybe I'll mine for a bit longer and skip the M3, then go straight to a corvette! :v: I'm thinking about building a Nemesis (seems good on paper, at least) with the below loadout:

Bolt Repeater Mk1 x3 (these don't require ammo or anything...right?)
Ion Blaster Mk1 x2

Bolt Turret Mk1 x2

M Shield generator Mk1 x2
M all-round engine Mk2
M all-round thrusters Mk2

So, will I actually be able to get all of this, at this point? Or will the ship (or some of the weapons) be locked for me, at this point in time? Thanks!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 7, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure I've gotten paid for killing ships anywhere in a friendly sector.

E: ah according to the mod linked above, the police license means you get paid anywhere, presumably because you're the police.

Major Isoor posted:

Sorry about the double-post, but I just thought about something, related to the piracy talk. So, if I go out into an asteroid field far from a station and start blasting a mining ship, what happens if another ship is nearby, or catches sight of us? Will I get into trouble right away, or will they head back for the cops? Or will they simply keep their distance, with no negatives for me?

EDIT: Oh also, I stumbled upon an asteroid that gave me nearly half a million in minerals...so yeah, maybe I'll mine for a bit longer and skip the M3, then go straight to a corvette! :v: I'm thinking about building a Nemesis (seems good on paper, at least) with the below loadout:

Bolt Repeater Mk1 x3 (these don't require ammo or anything...right?)
Ion Blaster Mk1 x2

Bolt Turret Mk1 x2

M Shield generator Mk1 x2
M all-round engine Mk2
M all-round thrusters Mk2

So, will I actually be able to get all of this, at this point? Or will the ship (or some of the weapons) be locked for me, at this point in time? Thanks!

If you want a nemesis you need I think 10 rep with one of the paranids, as well as if you want to unlock military grade turrets and weapons. Otherwise you should be OK. I think the argon sell the ion gun mk 1 at rank 0 but it is only the argon who sell it.

E: Unrelated but I started a new game for 3.0 with VRO and a couple of the faction enhancer mods and my god the energy market is booming, everyone seems to want to buy energy off my HQ. Big change from how dead it used to be.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 7, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure I've gotten paid for killing ships anywhere in a friendly sector.

E: ah according to the mod linked above, the police license means you get paid anywhere, presumably because you're the police.

Ahhhh, good to know - I'll buy a police license ASAP then. Thanks for that!

OwlFancier posted:

If you want a nemesis you need I think 10 rep with one of the paranids, as well as if you want to unlock military grade turrets and weapons. Otherwise you should be OK. I think the argon sell the ion gun mk 1 at rank 0 but it is only the argon who sell it.

Hmm, that's a shame. Maybe I should buy a Theseus or something, then simply try to hijack a pirate Minotaur, as someone mentioned earlier. (That or just delve into piracy and steal any old corvette that I can find. Since if X4 is like X3, the raider/pirate variants are typically a bit worse, anyway)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In X4 the pirates use the same ships as everyone else except for the fact that they do have a unique minotaur variant which is half cargo half turrets. I also ran into a raider variant of the incarcatua but I think that might be a modded thing, it had more guns on it. The minotaur is OK, I nicked one once. But it's baaasically just a nemesis with three fewer guns at that point. Or I guess a low volume freighter that works a bit better in a fight, but that's been entirely outclassed by the teladi cormorant I think, which is kind of their variant of that, based on the gunboat but swapping out guns for cargo. Hard to get that one though cos it's a ministry of finance exclusive and they're surprisingly hard to raise rep with because they have a small presence in the world and thus you can't get missions for them easily.

But rep is extremely easy to raise generally, just do like, two or three satellite placement missions for people and they'll give you 10 rep and a military equipment license.

You'll need that rep anyway to buy the police license, I'm pretty sure you can't get it without the first rank and you might need the second? Can't remember. Probably first though cos second takes while.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 8, 2020

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
New beta patch is out.

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=192&t=405397

quote:

Version 3.10 Beta 1 (394044) - 2020-04-07

Added mission to expand HQ if selected research requires excessive resources.
Removed Dal Busta dialog option after Split story is completed.
Changed New Game menu to show tutorials at top.
Improved balance and pricing of recruitable personnel on station docks.
Improved performance for games where player owns very large number of ships and stations.
Improved colour differentiation between racial Construction Vessel ships.
Improved storage capacity of Split mining ships.
Improved mastering of legacy music tracks.
Fixed certain hazardous regions giving massive numbers of crystal drops.
Fixed wrong faction sometimes being blamed when ships or stations are destroyed.
Fixed mining drones not launching to collect broken-down asteroids they had earlier marked for collection but didn't collect due to cancellation.
Fixed cases of defence drones docking before all are launched sometimes preventing any further defence drones from being launched.
Fixed male Split characters sometimes having female voices with Split Vendetta installed.
Fixed HQ laboratory being removed when reconfiguring station.
Fixed AI ships attacking indestructible objects indefinitely.
Fixed player account balance potentially going below zero.
Fixed being completely unable to manually dock Drill without docking software.
Fixed hatch on Gorgon closing too soon when leaving in spacesuit.
Fixed high loadout presets not favouring Docking Computer Mk2 if compatible.
Fixed Elephant sometimes being equipped with Spacesuit Scanner.
Fixed Raptor not being able to mount large missile turrets.
Fixed build times for station modules taking much longer than they should.
Fixed spacesuit oxygen replenishing after saving and loading.
Fixed certain drops being repelled by container magnet.
Fixed lasertowers deployed by player in Hatikvah mission not changing owner
Fixed wrong player-owned ship sometimes being destroyed during HQ story.
Fixed invulnerable ship during Split plot.
Fixed Dal Busta not offering Split story at HQ after player rejects story offer until save and reload.
Fixed Dal Busta not offering Paranid/Split storyline when starting from Accomplished Scientist gamestart.
Fixed Dal Busta calling to talk about multiple plot opportunities at same time.
Fixed signal leaks not being generated in Accomplished Scientist gamestart
Fixed Paranid plot mission Prophetic Mission stalling because of missing dock.
Fixed Paranid plot getting stuck at Remain Vigilant objective.
Fixed excessive delay between HQ plot related signal leaks if one was previously missed.
Fixed missing equipment for multiple factions when starting Paranid plot with older saves.
Fixed Paranid plot battle taking place in wrong sector under rare circumstances.
Fixed excessive ware amounts required for final stage of Paranid plot.
Fixed Fires of Defeat gamestart long-term mission getting stuck because of captured ships.
Fixed Hatikvah story getting stuck in rare situations during bomb-placing mission.
Fixed various missions being offered by incorrect faction.
Fixed player ship not coming to stop during certain cutscenes.
Fixed missions offered by NPCs on dock areas incorrectly appearing in Mission Offers menu.
Fixed mismatched ships and loadouts when editing shopping list entries in Ship Configuration menu.
Fixed missile turret capacities not being included in loadout information.
Fixed lasertower engines and weapons being shown in Encyclopedia.
Fixed missing images for some objects in Encyclopedia.
Fixed missing option to delete incompatible saves in Load Game.
Fixed missing Dock Interactions menu in certain situations.
Fixed missing mouse picking on map after closing Mission Briefing in certain situations.
Fixed missing tabs in Property Owned menu in certain situations.
Fixed rectangular target elements being displayed in first person in certain situations.
Fixed further cases of NPCs not being targetable on platforms.
Fixed menu crash in Info menu in certain situations.
Fixed long but rare freeze on Map.
Fixed several cases of Split storage modules appearing offset in station build menu.
Fixed lower front windscreen not being transparent when looking from outside on Kestrel.
Fixed turret group assignment and position of some turrets on Rattlesnake, Monitor and Odysseus.
Fixed paint mods on Raptor not being aligned correctly.
Fixed Split flak turrets not using correct barrel geometry.
Fixed weapon positions on Mamba.
Fixed player logo not being properly visible on Monitor.
Fixed some missing voice recordings in German, French and Russian localisations.
Fixed engine sound problems under specific circumstances.
Fixed suspense music playing while on station.
Fixed graphical artefacts for AMD Navi GPUs (5600/5700).
Fixed rare problem with platform guidance causing performance to drop.
Fixed several causes of crashes.

You can now find people with better stats running around on stations. Someone on reddit found a char with 4 mor/4 engi/2 pil that cost 60 million to hire.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

They already pushed it live. Just in time for to start a fresh unmodified game so I can play around with Ventures.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I bought Vendetta today and got some time into the training missions (I need a refresher and haven’t done them). They’re kinda great and the combat one was fun. The jank is still here and, inshallah, it shall never leave - for some reason, my backspace button was unbound and during the EVA training part, I was told “luckily, there’s an easy way of stopping your space suit! Try it!” with no button prompt. 10 minutes googling and no way to move the tutorial forward :allears:

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Apr 8, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the extra sectors, the new plots, and the general improvements with 3.0 really make it feel better as a game, I've been enjoying a second playthrough.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Taerkar posted:

They already pushed it live. Just in time for to start a fresh unmodified game so I can play around with Ventures.

Did they do anything with Ventures? I was going to start an unmodded game because of them but the options menu still said it was in beta so I kind of assumed they just dropped the concept and left in whatever was there when they first implemented it.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

nessin posted:

Did they do anything with Ventures? I was going to start an unmodded game because of them but the options menu still said it was in beta so I kind of assumed they just dropped the concept and left in whatever was there when they first implemented it.

Nothing in patch notes. This has been of interest to me also. I vaguely remember something about gaining special curreny from ventures (ego coins?) but thats about all I can remember. I'll spin the game up and give it a go now, looks like there is more meat on them bones.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Pre release they had a guy doing nothing but Venture stuff. I can only assume they pulled him off.

They did a great job with the paints you can get, its a shame you can't actually target paints you want in some way. Would love to have more of the white/black chevron paint that makes ships look Vaygr.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

There's a mod that adds the paint jobs to a vendor. I haven't actually used it so I don't know how good it is but was planning on it today least have them as options in a modded game because no way am I playing with default sats.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Anyone else's game descend into a buggy mess since the latest patch? So far I've been stuck in teleporters with doors that won't open, when I open the map it's just a slurry of lines about half the time and a few other random twitches.

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009
Speaking of mods, which do you use/recommend? There's nothing in the first post.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

With the latest update sometimes I just lose the ability to click on anything and it's only solved by saving and loading.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Darkhold posted:

Anyone else's game descend into a buggy mess since the latest patch? So far I've been stuck in teleporters with doors that won't open, when I open the map it's just a slurry of lines about half the time and a few other random twitches.

I've had the teleporter bug happen to me once since I started playing again this patch. The slurry of lines when I open the map happened to me when I was playing at launch so that's not new.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Yeah whenever I scroll out too much my screen turns to this:

the white parts are floating letters.

Scrolling out just a little gives me random colors and black bars. If I stay mostly scrolled in it looks well enough to work but things are clearly busted.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

lowwayman posted:

Speaking of mods, which do you use/recommend? There's nothing in the first post.

I haven't been using mods. IDK, a lot of them are clearly good, I just am liking adding permanent paints to my account via the ventures

Pixaal pointed out there's a paint vendor mods, that would be a good one.

I would definitely use Escape Teleporter if I used mods. This just relocates you to a ship you own nearby if yours is destroyed, rather than going directly to game over.

A lot of people like VRO, the Variety and Rebalance Overhaul, which does major changes to the combat system. Many of those changes are good, even very good in isolation - eliminating the marks system for guns, adding a lot of guns, fleshing out ship classes a bit, creating greater distinction between classes, et cetera. but in aggregate it felt like too much to me.

Another popular mod is the Gap mod, which started just adding space between empires but now its like a total map overhaul mod that turns the start into a 4x where all the factions start fairly similarly powered and seperated from the other factions by a lot of space to expand into and eventually fight over.

There's also some mods that add ships to the game, mostly kitbashed or imported from XR. Some good work there, and XR had some really cool ships, but they arn't nearly as optimized as X4 models.

Note that the official forums are a big hub for modding, as the modder community there predates modern sites.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMHPm1WtKPg&t=54s this was p cool ngl

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

lowwayman posted:

I recently downloaded this as my first and only mod because someone posted earlier in this thread how the game increases pilot skills and it's a mind bogglingly bad system.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1759853091&searchtext=

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

big nipples big life posted:

With the latest update sometimes I just lose the ability to click on anything and it's only solved by saving and loading.

and like, the map starts dragging along with your mouse? I've seen that too, it's like a click gets "stuck." Escaping to the menu and alt-tabbing fixes it for me.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Squiggle posted:

and like, the map starts dragging along with your mouse? I've seen that too, it's like a click gets "stuck." Escaping to the menu and alt-tabbing fixes it for me.

Haven't had the map thing happen but apparently the can't click on anything bug is caused by being piloted to a station instead of doing it yourself. Guess I will have to start flying myself instead of just yelling orders over the pilot's shoulder til it gets patched.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

nessin posted:

I wasn't sure which is why I started the new game. I know my modded game had a number of venture ships in it but since it was modified I couldn't send any out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mods are kind of dependent on what you want. I play with VRO and the faction enhancement mods just to up the intensity of the combat and the wars, but not everyone likes that and it can be detrimental if you want to play a more trade focused game.

E: I also want to make some amendments to stuff I said previously.

I think that the sectors on the map that are contained withing large hex squares, those all count as "1 sector" as far as navigation goes. So, if you set people to sector mine in Grand Exchange they will mine all three of the grand exchange sectors.

On that note, I've found nividium mining to be really lucrative to start out. At some point they seem to have added a thing that removes resources from trading stations intemittently, so a couple of nividium sector miners in Grand Exchange, Black Hole Sun, and The Void can net you a nice steady stream of income with minimal outlay. They can mine locally within the cluster and they can sell to the trading stations in those sectors.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 8, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I was wondering where the Xenon went because I hardly saw any. Then I got to Teladi space…

There's an I and two K casually murdering an entire sector while the Xenon are building new stations in Ianamus Zura. I'm at 20M net worth at this stage. No idea how to deal with it, but I hit 20 rep with Teladi by thinning out fighters and got awarded my new rank amidst explosions in the trade station…

e: Nvidium is interesting because you make the most money by filling the entire storage at once. As storage fills up the price goes down. So if you can crystal mine yourself to an L miner you can fill it with Nvidium and get >2M credits each by filling trade stations, then after all trade stations have been filled you can put the ship to mine silicon which also heavily benefits from the large hold.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 9, 2020

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

I was wondering where the Xenon went because I hardly saw any. Then I got to Teladi space…

There's an I and two K casually murdering an entire sector while the Xenon are building new stations in Ianamus Zura. I'm at 20M net worth at this stage. No idea how to deal with it, but I hit 20 rep with Teladi by thinning out fighters and got awarded my new rank amidst explosions in the trade station…

e: Nvidium is interesting because you make the most money by filling the entire storage at once. As storage fills up the price goes down. So if you can crystal mine yourself to an L miner you can fill it with Nvidium and get >2M credits each by filling trade stations, then after all trade stations have been filled you can put the ship to mine silicon which also heavily benefits from the large hold.

Yeah, the Teladi just seem to get totally hosed by the Xenon early on. In my game their Faction Representative is on a station under siege by an I and five K's. What's worse is that it'll never end as the station seems to be partially under construction, but the K's cant destroy under-construction modules or construction storage, so the station sits there incomplete and a builder occasionally flies right into the Xenon blockade and dies instantly.

I mean at least it's just a trade station and not a wharf or shipyard so it shouldn't hamstring them too much, but it sucks I'll never be able to pick up my rank upgrade or any Teladi blueprints

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'm trying to think of a way to remove those but I'm constrained by money…

I wonder if a swarm of torpedo fighters would help. Put missile launch chance to 100% and they should vaporise capitals, but torps are weirdly expensive and difficult to procure…

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Is it possible to show the full hud (shield and weapon indicators) in the chase view? I love to fight this way but the lack of shield info makes it precarious.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
In addition to the other bugs mentioned upthread, it seems like exploration is broken again. Ships just randomly change direction on the spot and don't really move anywhere. When I tried doing it in-sector by giving a command to a ship I was on, it just sat there.

OwlFancier posted:

On that note, I've found nividium mining to be really lucrative to start out. At some point they seem to have added a thing that removes resources from trading stations intemittently,

Any idea how long it's supposed to take? I was making serious bank with nividium for a while just mining in Grand Exchange, but then my miner there was spinning its wheels for a good 3 hours or so before I manually offloaded its cargo at a more distant station and reassigned it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The can't click on anything bug can be solved by going to external view and back to first person.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Drunk in Space posted:

In addition to the other bugs mentioned upthread, it seems like exploration is broken again. Ships just randomly change direction on the spot and don't really move anywhere. When I tried doing it in-sector by giving a command to a ship I was on, it just sat there.

Any idea how long it's supposed to take? I was making serious bank with nividium for a while just mining in Grand Exchange, but then my miner there was spinning its wheels for a good 3 hours or so before I manually offloaded its cargo at a more distant station and reassigned it.

nowhere near fast enough to operate nividium miners steadily :)

just take the nividium as a bonus and move on to other things

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Game is totally unplayable for me trying to open any menus turns my game into a slideshow even if I can work around the glitches.

If I wasn't like 3/4ths of the way through the two new story missions I'd be tempted just to start over but goddamn there's some tedious poo poo in those missions I don't want to redo

:argh: maze :argh:

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009
Thanks for the mod info. I picked up the game a few days ago and got my start crystal mining. I have a safe ore-and-silicon mining operation going on in Argon Prime now, which is netting me a decent income. My current main storyline mission is to build a dock in the player HQ, but I can't seem to find a hireable builder ship anywhere. It's starting to look like I might have an easier time just expanding my mining operation and saving the money to buy one myself, even though that's going to take forever at this rate. If there's somewhere specific I should look for a builder please let me know.

Also I really do want to appreciate everything they've done with the faction war and economy systems in this game but it feels like the UI is fighting me all the way. For example, why is there no overview screen to see what's going on in the various wars, which sectors are being contested and who is winning? Sure, there are occassional reports that pop in but there really should be a way to know what's going on overall at a glance. Right now it feels very hard to follow. Something similar could be done so you can see what's going on with the galactic economy as well. I get this feeling that there are these really cool systems at work underneath but the game just doesn't even attempt to make them understandable to the player which is such a waste.

Regarding unintuitive UI, maybe I'm missing something but do I actually have to click and open comms with all my ships individually just to see if I can give one of my seminars to the pilot? There doesn't seem to be a way to check this without opening the ship information screen to view their skill level or calling them directly. If I go to the Player Empire screen I can view a list of my employees but that page only shows their overall skill level so from there I can't see what their piloting level is specifically. Not that it would be very useful since for whatever reason I can't seem to be able to contact them from that screen anyway. Please tell me I'm missing something and the UI is not just filled with needless busywork everywhere I look.

I've played a bunch of X3, so its not like I jumped in here blind. I expected some jank and I want to love this game but in a million small ways it's making that very difficult.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
In the station planner screen, click the assign builder button, then zoom out until the list on the left populates with available builders. They have to actually be in the area of the map showing on the screen to show in the list. Choose one by right clicking it and picking select.

That’s from memory, so some of the wording might be different.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They have to be in range of one of your sats or ships to show on that list though so if you don't have a bunch of scouts and sats out they can be hard to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Yeah, no satellite coverage would make things difficult. I always get that sorted for at least a few sectors as early as possible.