Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Got Starlink: Battle for Atlas on a whim.

Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Currently midgame through Borderlands 3 and seeing that there's still no page for it, I would like to start contributing now especially because there are so many baffling UI decisions in that game, even when the gameplay itself is so so good:

1. If you want to control the vehicle like literally almost every other game, go to Options -> Controls -> Controller -> Driving Button Scheme = Vehicle Relative: Left Side. Yes, even when you are playing using M&K.

2. You can teleport to any fast travel points or your vehicle, as long as you are on foot.

3. If your fast travel points are not listed because it's in another area, just choose Orbit View (X with M&K) -> Planet -> Zones.

4. Your respec cost is ~10% of your current money, so spend them if you want to cut down the cost.

5. To compare stuff in your inventory between one another, you need to manually select them first (E), then highlight something else. In Shop though, you have to use the Compare button (Q) since (E) will buy/sell without confirmation.

6. Your equipment slots are only unlocked by going through campaign, while inventory/storage/etc are unlocked by spending money on SDU once you've reached Sanctuary.

7. To hijack a car, just press the button to enter the car (E) while it's being driven by an enemy.

8. In the Ammo Dump vending machine only, you can refill your ammo completely with the touch of a button.

9. Sometimes you'll be mailed rewards due to favouring certain manufacturers over the other. Open the e-mails by going Social -> Mail.

10. Your item stats/descriptions usually won't tell the whole story, so it's highly recommended that you actually test-fire your weapons and not just choosing based on damage etc.

11. Story rewards are repeatable once you've finished the game, but challenges' rewards are not. So it may be optimal for you to wait for max level before completing certain series of challenges, since they scale to your level & only received once per character. This is also including Typhon Drops.

12. The drop rates are actually really good compared to the first 2 games.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Anything for the new Animal Crossing?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi posted:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- Nearly everything on the island is movable later, including all buildings and even cliffs and rivers. The main things that are fixed are the stuff on the border of the island (river mouths, beaches, rocks/peninsulae, the dock and the airport) and the resident services plaza, so picking your island layout should be based around that primarily.
- The starting week or so is a bit slow and tutorialized, with a lot of things unlocking day to day. Try to do everything you can as they're presented to you to keep things moving (particularly: donating critters, building the museum/shop, and building the three new villager houses). You'll need 30 iron (as well as some other materials) to build the shop and a little more to build houses the next day, so save up!
- If you want a bit of a jumpstart, after day 2 you can travel to other player's towns and buy recipes for tools you don't have yet from their shops. You'll get them pretty quickly during the tutorial, but if you're impatient (or just want to get across the river to build stuff there instead of moving it later) you can do that.
- Eating fruit is important, but so is not eating fruit: if you have food in your stomach, you can transplant trees by digging them up with your shovel but you can also break any rocks on your island by doing the same. If you haven't eaten, you can instead get up to eight items from any rock by digging holes to keep yourself from being pushed away and whacking the rock as fast as you can. Rocks do respawn (at a rate of 1/day), but as they're your main source of iron/gold you don't want to go breaking everything you see.
- To get the Able Sisters to move in, you'll have to build the shop first. Mabel will appear in the following days, and you'll want to spend a bunch of bells buying clothes to make her think moving in will be a good investment. If you've spent at least 5k (this number is fuzzy, so go over if you have spare cash) she should talk about moving the next day you see her.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I've not played the games before but I bought Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout recently and was wondering if there was anything I should know before I dive into it. It will not be the first RPG I've played but will be the first of this type of game. I saw someone ask back in January and didn't see a reply.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I found an old copy of Gran Turismo 5 and spun it up for the first time this weekend, and I was surprised by two things: first, I actually really dig it, but secondly even though it was a flagship first party title, ten years later it looks kinda cell-phoney graphics wise.

I want to get GT Sport for the PS4, anything I should know before taking the plunge? Is it worth getting either bundle (the “definitive” and “spec 2” options)?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The website has blow'd up again ahobday. Looks like some account issue. Best of luck with that. Anyone had a chance to poke around with the new Mount and Blade game? Anything I need to know there? I played a decent amount of the OG version and never did any online stuff with the later games.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Warbird posted:

The website has blow'd up again ahobday. Looks like some account issue. Best of luck with that. Anyone had a chance to poke around with the new Mount and Blade game? Anything I need to know there? I played a decent amount of the OG version and never did any online stuff with the later games.

The reason it broke last time is because I THOUGHT my hosting was being migrated, so I changed the DNS servers too early. This time my hosting actually IS being migrated, and I've changed the DNS servers again. It might take a while to propagate. Or weird stuff might happen. I'm getting a "Bad certificate" error when I visit the wiki, for example, but it still works.

Give it a few hours, and hopefully it'll be back up, but who knows.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh the joys of hosting a website. What backend are you running by the by?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Warbird posted:

Oh the joys of hosting a website. What backend are you running by the by?

It's just shared linux hosting, if that's what you mean.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Warbird posted:

I put about 45 minutes or so into it earlier, seems like the same basic formula. Combat is a lot more fluid now, which also means it's more difficult; you can arc attacks around shields, shield blocking is directional now too.

Tournaments reward you with an item for winning, as well as betting profits. I got a named great sword, but lost the one for a horse.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've updated the wiki's MediaWiki installation. It's a very minor update, so you shouldn't notice any changes, but please let me know if you notice anything weird happening.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Any tips for Phantasy Star Online 2?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any basic tips for X:3 Reunion? Such as, is there a tutorial?

I started flying around and figured out how to shoot lasers and target random things in the system. I keep getting messages but don't know how to open them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
X3 is a game where I honestly recommend finding a good walkthrough of the first five or six hours of the game and just reading the whole thing. The game is incredibly complex, incredibly complicated, and a total and utter pain to get into without some kind of guide to tell you what is what and where to go. It just goes way beyond the scope of this thread, I think.

One short tip I can give you is to get yourself some good mods. There are a number of very good interface and management mods available for the X series that makes the game far easier and more convenient to handle. I can't give you any names, because I haven't played the game in years, but it was worth taking the time. The game is well set-up to handle mods, so it's not a major effort to install them, just kind of plug and play. Try it out and see what works for you.

Also, I think if you hold Control or Shift, you should get a mouse cursor to press buttons and messages with. It's not much, but it's something.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

X3 is a game where I honestly recommend finding a good walkthrough of the first five or six hours of the game and just reading the whole thing. The game is incredibly complex, incredibly complicated, and a total and utter pain to get into without some kind of guide to tell you what is what and where to go. It just goes way beyond the scope of this thread, I think.

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion after doing some cursory googling. I'll get my notebook and a pot of coffee ready before I give it a shot. A little leery of installing mods before I have actually played the game at least for some hours. I've tried that before and inevitably end up breaking stuff or mistakenly installing something that's meant for hardcore players.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. X3 is already a pretty hardcore game, no need to make it harder on yourself. I'd keep it in mind at least, though. A lot of those mods I remember were a serious improvement over the base game and made playstyles feasible that are ordinarily just not worth bothering with.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I think the best way to tackle X3 is to go very, very slowly and accept that your first hours with the game will just be learning the ropes, the most basic stuff. Like, you said you keep getting messages but don't know how to read them - well, that's your next goal, you know? It's not flying to another system or finding a quest or killing a pirate, it's just "figure out how to read these messages". You can set yourself micro goals like that and gradually things will come together. It is asking a lot of the player, of course, but it does help to prevent being overwhelmed. And maybe you'll be 30 hours into the game before you even build your first station, and 50 hours before you think about messing with marines and trying to capture a ship, but that's just the kind of game X3 is, I think.

That worked for me, at least.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Anything for Freemen: Guerilla Warfare?

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Something I should know about Frostpunk that is not on the Wiki yet?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
My goon. The page is huge. For a game where the big advice is "Go in as blind as you are comfortable for."

EDIT : As someone who has played it, it says more than enough. But not too much. Once you've beaten the main campaign, sa has a Frostpunk thread in games where you can talk about stuff, ask strategies, see if the Last Autumn DLC has any weird gotchas. etc.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 5, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anything for Ace Combat 7 on PC, bearing in mind I never played an AC game? What is the preferred control method?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

Anything for Ace Combat 7 on PC, bearing in mind I never played an AC game? What is the preferred control method?

Gamepad is best.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you mean control scheme, go for Advanced/Expert/whatever it's called. You get far better control of your plane with that.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If you're digging into X3 I wrote a bunch of effortposts a long time ago, check the 3rd post in the (archived?) thread. The mod section is probably outdated but it does talk about some goals and the first few hours of the game

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552115

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bhodi posted:

If you're digging into X3 I wrote a bunch of effortposts a long time ago, check the 3rd post in the (archived?) thread. The mod section is probably outdated but it does talk about some goals and the first few hours of the game

That is a Good Effortpost. That mod breakdown particularly is very useful and I remember many of these by name, it's most of the really good ones.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

Use the Advanced/expert control scheme. You should be able to roll upside down.

For your first campaign stick to one upgrade path. The upgrade tree is generally into US/Europe/Russia paths.

Plane upgrades really help. Play a few multiplayer matches if you need more upgrade currency.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Hey thanks, this is useful! It's going come in handy.
Made my first million, pimped out 2 brand new fighters, hired a pilot (so I could have a wingman) and then got to watch in horror as my new buddy flew into a space station at top speed :cry:

E: reloaded and this time the wingman only damaged the ship seriously... attempting to dick with a station :wtc:
That was supposed to say "dock" but it still fits.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 8, 2020

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've created a page for Immortal Redneck:

quote:

* Try out the different Favors as their playstyles are all quite diverse. Amunet is one solid choice due to her useful passive and active abilities, balanced stats and strong starting loadout which includes the highly accurate and damaging Kunai. If you're any good at sniping, Neith likewise can effectively deal with threats at any range and has an easy-to-use but effective active ability.

* Also try out all the weapons you come across, most have their uses and quite a few are better than they might initially seem.

* A favorable weapons loadout usually includes an accurate long-range weapon (such as Kunai) for distant enemies and a rapid-fire weapon (such as Burst Machine Gun) both to deal with swarms and to lock down short- to mid-range threats. The third slot is usually good for whatever else complements your other weapons the best, such as explosives or a stun weapon.

* Some rooms have a hidden unmarked chest in them, including certain chest rooms which might have an extra one. There are no secret doors or levers or anything like that, but look for conspicuously hard-to-reach places.

* Most stat upgrades in the skill tree are irregular in that a small increase can be followed by a large increase or vice versa.

* Putting the first point into a skill can open new skills in the tree. New Favors and single-point global upgrades, especially Extra Jump (opened after a point in Health Upgrade and Steak Upgrade) which makes dodging and platforming a lot easier, should be considered high priority.

* Once you've unlocked the merchant, buying a golden scroll before a run can often give you a bigger boost than spending the money on a single stat upgrade if you happen to hit on an especially strong effect.

* As ammo packs replenish the ammunition of all your guns, making use of your whole loadout rather than just one weapon is much more efficient ammo-wise.

* While it might seem obvious, don't forget to make use of your active ability. It costs nothing (with the exception of Ammit's which is a special case) so it should be on cooldown as much as possible.

* Disabling auto-pickups from the settings can help you avoid picking up undesired weapons in the heat of battle.

* While it's a bit of a clunky method, you can rearrange your weapons loadout by tossing your guns on the ground and picking them up in the desired order.

Also you should play Immortal Redneck if the idea of a roguelike-FPS appeals to you, game's a lot better than its title might make it sound like.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Some for the Resident Evil 3 Nemesis Remake

-None of the items in the Carlos section will carry over to Jill when you return to playing as her, so collect everything you can.
-Nemesis will drop two upgrades to your handgun early in the game if you can down him. The first time is when he first starts chasing you after you turn on the power. The second time is when he infects a zombie with his tentacle.
-If you aren't worried about your time, take the time to cut all the chains with the bolt cutters as soon as you get it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

-If you aren't worried about your time
And especially on your first playthrough, you really shouldn't be. Playing for time is massively easier with unlocks from the postgame shop.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

blackguy32 posted:

-None of the items in the Carlos section will carry over to Jill when you return to playing as her, so collect everything you can.
?

Not having played the game, this doesn't seem to make any sense.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 8, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Xander77 posted:

?

Not having played the game, this doesn't seem to make any sense.

Been a while but I think they mean don’t save anything for the other character. It may switch POV later and then you’ll have the ammo/herbs with him.

But I haven’t played that remake yet.

I gave up on 2 because it was too much like the original. I really hope they remake 4 though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In the re2 remake when you briefly play as Ada you can collect stuff and transfer it to Leon so I think he means that does NOT happen here like you might expecto

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Resident Evil 3 Remake:

Ammo drops etc for Carlos are separate for those that drop for Jill when you resume control of her. Hoover anything you have space for (and you're gonna want a lot of ammo towards the end of Carlos' second segment before you are Jill again).

Stuff you don't kill as Carlos may still be hanging round for Jill. Don't trust corpses, never hurts to give them a cautionary slash just in case.

If you're being methodical don't chuck the lock pick until after the hospital

General tip: if you have the knife and hit aim directly after a perfect dodge (when time slows) it'll do big damage to zombies. Likewise for a gun it'll snap to the enemy and you can get a free headshot or three.

Carlos' shove is powerful but the timing is harsher than Jill's dodge

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

In the re2 remake when you briefly play as Ada you can collect stuff and transfer it to Leon so I think he means that does NOT happen here like you might expecto
It is like a new team was put together for the third game. Did they just not learn anything about what worked in RE2?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I think I saw somewhere they were developed roughly in tandem by separate teams, which would explain some of the weird discrepancies.
I'm definitely going to miss the dodge next time I play RE2 remake again though

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
At least you will have use for a knife.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

NonzeroCircle posted:

I think I saw somewhere they were developed roughly in tandem by separate teams, which would explain some of the weird discrepancies.
I'm definitely going to miss the dodge next time I play RE2 remake again though
They were. The bundled Resident Evil Resistance multiplayer-only game was developed by yet another third-party team and had nothing to do with either of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Kanfy posted:

A major yet seemingly little-known thing you should know about DD (evident from the fact that it's neither on the page or has been mentioned here) is that you can change character skills even mid-dungeon. Just right-click a character (or whatever the controller equivalent is) and swap around whatever you like.

...Are you a loving wizard? How did you obtain this forbidden knowledge?

Amazing tip, and I've got hundreds of loving hours played. Jesus gently caress, you can change to single target stuff before entering a loving boss room.