Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Got started on the History of English and remembering why I enjoyed the survey of linguistics course I took one semester in undergrad so much. The process of reverse engineering a dead language is fascinating. Nobody has spoken proto-Indo-European for thousands of years, it existed before writing was invented, and yet we have a very good idea of what the language was and how it sounded. And where the people who spoke it came from, based on words they have for things in specific geographic areas! Amazing!

I think it's easily one of my favorites to listen too. I like doing them in batches of ten at time since it can be heavily chronological.

Two podcasts, that I'm sure I've posted about, have been a balm to my soul in this trying time are:

Strange Animals- a woman with a charming Tennessee accent talks about animals and the occasional cryptid with the enthusiasm of a fourth grader describing their favorite episode for over 160 episodes and counting. She researches things very well, but I love the personal touches, from comments and groan-worthy jokes. It just adds a lot coziness to this show, compared to some others which is dudes riffing dumbly on what they don't know while they read wikipedia, or overly-earnest environmentalists pushing a sound message, but just a bit too intensely.

The Wild Episode- has less episodes but it has much higher production values and Brian Ruckley's voice is perfect. The information is always excellent and perfectly editorialized. It updates less frequently but it's a on-going project. I love this podcast so so much.

Oh, and while I'm here I don't listen to every episode but The Common Descent Podcast, which is generally on evolutionary history and a lot of prehistoric animals, is also really well-done and the two hosts are huge nerds but it doesn't detract from the show. I like their camaraderie.

And if you like video game music do try Les Démons de Midi with the warning that it's in French. It's also educational since they do research on the composers and after each played song will share tidbits on them, which can be very informative. Or just skip through the French and listen to music.

I'd love linguistics podcasts about Other Languages that aren't English, especially if they are in other languages. Something for Spanish would be amazing or even just the Romance languages as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I did kinda lose a lot of interest in the History of Rome after the emperors consolidated their power away from the rest of the public and you only occasionally got to hear what normal people's lives were like because everything is either dynastic politics dealing with the whims of the emperor and the small circle around him or career military officers having their go at making their own dominion.

In one of the anniversary episodes or something he even calls himself out for turning it into the podcast about Roman emperors and said he wanted to be sure to cover other stuff more, but other than stopping to explain how Diocletian started proto-feudalism I don't think he really succeeded. I haven't listened to much of it yet, but from what I can tell it looks like History of Byzantium does more of a deep dive.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1246899250530848768?s=21

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1246892854481506309?s=21

eat the rich mike

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sydin posted:

Check out Drachinifel on Youtube. He does naval history mostly centered around WW1/WW2, but also sometimes covers more broader stuff and even recently had an episode where he brought in an aviation expect to breakdown all of the myths about the A6M Zero for two and a half hours. There is a visual component to it but it's usually just stills and the occasional diagram, so you can afford to just listen to it.

Honestly that's a bit too dry for me, and I can't quite absorb the information.

It doesn't help that so much of what he says is just throwing around numbers without much context to judge them and their place in the world. A lot of battleships seem less like machines built to serve a purpose and more like accounting projects to show off how much a country could spend building their big things.

Also I'm not listening to a two hour video debunking things that weren't even in my brain to begin with. This is not something to get into a subject with.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I like the idea of Behind the Bastards, but I'm doing it as I always do starting from the beginning, but I'd like to know if that's what it's like or does it get better? I'm not a fan of the comedy, and while the information is interesting it feels too much like he's just reading something off of wikipedia, like I could find it myself somewhere online if I bothered to.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Two podcasts, that I'm sure I've posted about, have been a balm to my soul in this trying time are:

Really digging these recommendations. Thanks!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I like the idea of Behind the Bastards, but I'm doing it as I always do starting from the beginning, but I'd like to know if that's what it's like or does it get better? I'm not a fan of the comedy, and while the information is interesting it feels too much like he's just reading something off of wikipedia, like I could find it myself somewhere online if I bothered to.

Rob is an award winning journalist, but his strength lays in writing. So, yeah, he's writing it all ahead of time and just reading it off, so I get your point. But it is his own research and writing, not just read of Wikipedia. I'll give him that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's always jokey so if you want no comedy I would not bother. But I'd encourage you to skip ahead to the Steven Segal episodes and see how you feel after that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

It's always jokey so if you want no comedy I would not bother. But I'd encourage you to skip ahead to the Steven Segal episodes and see how you feel after that.

Alright cool.

COOL CORN posted:

Rob is an award winning journalist, but his strength lays in writing. So, yeah, he's writing it all ahead of time and just reading it off, so I get your point. But it is his own research and writing, not just read of Wikipedia. I'll give him that.

Yeah that's true. I guess I don't want to think I could just read the script myself. It is very interesting though. I'll stick with it, it's not bad, just not exactly what I expected?

PerilPastry posted:

Really digging these recommendations. Thanks!

I'm really glad you like them. I advertise them to everyone I know, especially The Wild Episode, it's crazy how great that podcast is. It's like a fine animal documentary in audio form.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah that's true. I guess I don't want to think I could just read the script myself. It is very interesting though. I'll stick with it, it's not bad, just not exactly what I expected?

I get you. That's why I bounced off of the History of Rome podcast. I wanted to like it so much, but the early episodes are just him basically reading a school report into a lovely laptop mic, and I just couldn't dig that.

I'll probably try it again at 1.5x though.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

The podcast peaked at Steven Seagal and sadly I don't think it can ever top it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

COOL CORN posted:

I get you. That's why I bounced off of the History of Rome podcast. I wanted to like it so much, but the early episodes are just him basically reading a school report into a lovely laptop mic, and I just couldn't dig that.

I'll probably try it again at 1.5x though.

The first 10 episodes have pretty bad sound quality, after that he gets a real mic

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The Bashar Al-Assad Behind the Bastards has the biggest twist when Brangelina suddenly show up

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

The first 10 episodes have pretty bad sound quality, after that he gets a real mic

He has sound issues right up through the Second Punic war. There's a weird echo at some point, and he gets really into Making Mouth Noises.

That said, Mike Duncan is still the podcasting GOAT

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

COOL CORN posted:

The show needs a comedian-in-residence like Gareth from the dollop or the fat polish kid from Last Podcast. Some of his guests are just like "wow, really?" while he reads off his research. Not that great. That being said, the info is solid, and accessible.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

mike12345 posted:

The show needs a comedian-in-residence like Gareth from the dollop or the fat polish kid from Last Podcast. Some of his guests are just like "wow, really?" while he reads off his research. Not that great. That being said, the info is solid, and accessible.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

mike12345 posted:

Either that or just someone who has more info to contribute. Some of the time it just seems like the guest is just there because they’re a friend. Not the worst thing but it doesn’t add much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

He has sound issues right up through the Second Punic war. There's a weird echo at some point, and he gets really into Making Mouth Noises.

That said, Mike Duncan is still the podcasting GOAT

The Russian revolution is the best podcasting I’ve ever heard

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I like Behind the Bastards and when it's good it's great but it makes me roll my eyes at times. I got really tired of the metahumour like lampshading not being very good at intros or shouting 'PRODUUUCTS' for every ad break. Came back several months later because an episode interested me and the first words were something like 'I'm Robert Evans and this is... not a... very good podcast introduction'. Just drop the joke at this point.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Gimme some good medical podcasts that are COVID flavoured preferably with real life doctors as guests.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Gimme some good medical podcasts that are COVID flavoured preferably with real life doctors as guests.

It's not a medical themed podcast but Binnall of America has been doing a weekly covid episode with a microbiologist who specializes in infectious disease (this guy: https://www.researchgate.net/scientific-contributions/38891981_Tyler_A_Kokjohn )

That's the only podcast I follow that has a lot of covid episodes with doctors. Most have been on the economics and politics of the pandemic.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

euphronius posted:

The Russian revolution is the best podcasting I’ve ever heard

I've finally gotten the chance to catch back up. I just listened to "The Tsar Must Die" and jesus, Mike Duncan is so god drat good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Assassinating the Tsar without having a strong enough movement to overthrow the government was a bad idea. The one thing that monarchies know how to do well is find another butt to go onto the throne.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I haven't listened diligently for a while, but there's Sawbones. It's hosted by a doctor and her husband and mainly focuses on the history of various medical things, although it had a few coronavirus episodes recently.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Assassinating the Tsar without having a strong enough movement to overthrow the government was a bad idea. The one thing that monarchies know how to do well is find another butt to go onto the throne.

Assassinating monarchs is extremely cool though.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If you can handle an Australian focus, the ABC’s Coronacast is pretty great. Daily episodes, usually about 10 minutes or so, hosted by an actual doctor.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

https://www.jhsph.edu/podcasts/public-health-on-call/

"Experts from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health offer science and evidence-based insights on the public health news of the day. The current focus is the novel coronavirus spreading around the world."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the prospect of overthrowing the government without a movement was the whole appeal. If I've learned anything from history, it's that there's no merit to the idea that a single, shocking event is going to "awaken" the masses and cascade into the future you want.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

This Podcast Will Kill You has done a pretty lengthy series on COVID, as well as a general rundown from before poo poo hit the fan back in February.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

This Week in Virology, especially the last few weeks and double especially the ones with Daniel Griffin.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

COOL CORN posted:

as far as I know I've never won any awards but thank you for the vote of confidence!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

GunFondler42069 posted:

as far as I know I've never won any awards but thank you for the vote of confidence!

I'm sure you must have gotten a gold star in school or something, that stuff counts

Here, I hereby award you the Person Named Robert Evans I Respect More Than Any Other Robert Evanses Award. Bang, you're an award-winning journalist now.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

GunFondler42069 posted:

Thread's Favourite Goon Podcaster Unless Mike Duncan Turns Out To Be a Goon

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Arrhythmia posted:

Thread's Favourite Goon Podcaster Unless Mike Duncan Turns Out To Be a Goon

If he is, he's shitposting in CSPAM

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'm still in the bag for Austin Walker, but Robert hasn't put out a tabletop roleplaying podcast yet (that I know of).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

GunFondler42069 posted:

You've won the "best podcaster who's basically a leftist but also podcasts about mainstream topics" award 2020 from me, cool corn

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

GunFondler42069 posted:

Lifetime Achievement for Excellence in the Field of Macheticine is an award

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

COOL CORN posted:

You've won the "best podcaster who's basically a leftist but also podcasts about mainstream topics" award 2020 from me, cool corn

thank you cool corn may i have your permission to tattoo this somewhere on my body

i'm thinking "throat" but not decided yet

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GunFondler42069 posted:

thank you cool corn may i have your permission to tattoo this somewhere on my body

i'm thinking "throat" but not decided yet

If I know cool corn like I think I do, it’s foreskin or nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

rotinaj posted:

If I know cool corn like I think I do, it’s foreskin or nothing

I was going to say knuckles or something, but I'll leave it to Comrade Evans to follow his heart