Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

anilEhilated posted:

Fairly sure Halo was always poo poo. The sequels may or may not have improved the level design, but the first game is just bad.
I love the Bungie Halos but even I won't defend the first game's campaign. It's awful by today's standards, but even at release the Library was an internet-wide joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I love the Bungie Halos but even I won't defend the first game's campaign. It's awful by today's standards, but even at release the Library was an internet-wide joke.

There are some absolute standouts in the first game though. The second mission, Silent Cartographer, the opening to Truth and Reconciliation, they're all brilliant and series wide high points. But the Library and the repeat missions are indeed poo poo.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

little late to the party, but i enjoyed Far Cry New Dawn way more than id thought i would. Ive played all Far Cry games but skipped 5 cause the story looked like it would make me very mad and New Dawns story was pretty inoffensive to me, outside of the origin story of the sheriff near the end.

The gunplay felt solid even tho it has a half-assed leveling scheme. Its clearing map icons and outposts like before, but everything feels as good as it ever has in a Far Cry game

Does it even have actual leveling? I'm only a couple of hours in, but I'd heard that they had RPG'd the game up so I was prepared for Borderlands-style "oh no my shotgun is only level 7 and these enemies are level 9 so I'm doing chip damage" and so far I haven't seen anything like that. As far as I can tell enemies just come in four ranks, with higher ranks feeling more like elites with better gear than "same dude but two levels higher so he has bigger numbers".

Edit: Oh also it has a Very Good Dog and he can finally ride in the passenger seat of a truck with you, so this is looking like a good game so far.

Triarii fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 7, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

halo is fukken good christ whatever

anyway there's only one thing that really matters in fc nû dawn

timber is GOOD and my FRIEND

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 8, 2020

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I have maybe a different opinion on Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I think i got it on a humble bundle awhile back, and a considerable amount of liquor convinced me that dumping another 10 bucks onto the permanent XP boost was a good idea. I stopped playing about halfway through and put it down as my machine couldn't handle it. I came back to it after an upgrade and I have to say the ending and the whole thing right now was a little underwhelming.

Clocked in at 54 hours, I have by all accounts, finished the main story, and got the best ending I think for all parties involved. I beelined the main story, so I have the Cult side missions, the artifact hunting and the rest of the DLC stuff that i don't have. My main issue is the proper levelling system. The numerical damage stuff pisses me off, It feels a little reminiscent of old World of Warcraft where an enemy that is at least 2 levels ahead of you is much harder to kill/hit, you are more susceptible to critical hits, etc, etc, and that applies to the gear too. I liked the old system better, and not MMO bullshit.

I'd prefer the Witcher 3, and it has all of these systems, but done better in my opinion.

I kinda want to find all the cult guys, but i think that's all i'll do, unless the DLC is good stuff

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Gears Tactics is looking like a surprisingly good action-XCOM.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The RPG system in Far Cry: New Dawn is just that enemies and your weapons have a color-coded strength value from 1-4 and you will very rarely run intro an enemy that is higher level than your current weapon. Regular enemies only reach level 3 strength. All open world enemies will be level 1 until your upgrade your weapon crafting ability to level 2 etc. You have to go out of your way to get outlevelled in normal play, besides a couple of "tough guys" in story missions.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The Halo revisionism this thread gets up to will never not be funny to me.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
First Person Shooters traditionally have been mouse and keyboard to match the ever increasing fast pace combat. I used to poo poo on Halo when it came out because it was slow as hell, but like it or not, it managed to make FPSes good to play on a console until Call of Duty 3 & 4 made it even more popular.

You want a good example of an FPS that is great on console and bad on consoles, try half-life on playstation 2. It is next to impossible to manually aim in that game, so much so that they added an HEV Auto targetting system with a tutorial added in the hazard course (that i completely missed)

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 8, 2020

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Orv posted:

The Halo revisionism this thread gets up to will never not be funny to me.

I think people also forget the other innovations that at the time were new and compare it to modern games, many of which draw from those established mechanics. It is to Halo's credit we can compare it, look at older stuff like turok or even Doom and in some ways those games feel almost like a different genre. It's easy to forget how many standard 3d shooter conventions were invented at that time. While if I remember right the PlayStation had a few shooters that did it first, Halo was probably the first shooter most people (me included) played with twin sticks, and the basic control scheme is virtually unchanged today.

While by no means did Halo invent much by itself, it's refinements and the way it put all the elements together should still be considered groundbreaking. The AI design and setpiece fights were insane at the time.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 8, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Disaster Report 4, which was supposed to be released on the PS3 and then delayed due to a real life disaster in Japan, is finally out on Steam. Mixed reviews, I'm thinking of buying it for the pure comedy factor. You get to play as a man or a woman, but the game is entirely written from the man's perspective, and apparently there's just some hilariously stupid decisions the game lets you take like trying to steal someone's girlfriend, etc.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

threelemmings posted:

I think people also forget the other innovations that at the time were new and compare it to modern games, many of which draw from those established mechanics. It is to Halo's credit we can compare it, look at older stuff like turok or even Doom and in some ways those games feel almost like a different genre. It's easy to forget how many standard 3d shooter conventions were invented at that time. While if I remember right the PlayStation had a few shooters that did it first, Halo was probably the first shooter most people (me included) played with twin sticks, and the basic control scheme is virtually unchanged today.

While by no means did Halo invent much by itself, it's refinements and the way it put all the elements together should still be considered groundbreaking. The AI design and setpiece fights were insane at the time.

I think Halo really nailed doing a FPS on a console in a way non quite did before? There are definite precursors (Goldeneye and Perfect Dark) but I think Halo was way more successful.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think Halo really nailed doing a FPS on a console in a way non quite did before? There are definite precursors (Goldeneye and Perfect Dark) but I think Halo was way more successful.

Don't forget Timesplitters (which did the twin stick control as well a solid year before Halo came out)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anno posted:

Gears Tactics is looking like a surprisingly good action-XCOM.

That's not allowed, I'm not going to spend 60$ on a game this month. It has to be terrible, or else.

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's not allowed, I'm not going to spend 60$ on a game this month. It has to be terrible, or else.

But think about it Strix, maybe this is the answer to Splash Damage trying to recreate W:ET forever. Maybe XCOM was what they were meant to do all along.

Anno
May 10, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

Spend $1-$5 on a month of Gamepass instead!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Don't forget Timesplitters (which did the twin stick control as well a solid year before Halo came out)

The local multiplayer in this series was great

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
What Halo innovated was taking an FPS and slowing movement to such a sluglike pace that aiming was possible on console. On one hand, it's an abomination. On the other, it's one of very few serious attempts to bring classic FPS gameplay to consoles. So while it isn't a great game, unlike Call of Duty you really can't blame Halo for the horrible fate of the FPS genre.

Orv
May 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

What Halo innovated was taking an FPS and slowing movement to such a sluglike pace that aiming was possible on console. On one hand, it's an abomination. On the other, it's one of very few serious attempts to bring classic FPS gameplay to consoles. So while it isn't a great game, unlike Call of Duty you really can't blame Halo for the horrible fate of the FPS genre.

God I know you're dumb as dirt but jesus.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Disaster report 4 is the world’s greatest rear end in a top hat simulator ever conceived this is incredible. In the opening half hour alone I have:

-cursed out an old lady
-hummed showtunes and ignored an earthquake warning
-chastised an old man for taking an early lunch break
-sold bandages for $100 apiece
-forced a schoolteacher to give me $80 to find her students in the aftermath of an earthquake
-made a gyaru schoolgirl crawl through wreckage because I found her annoying

This is the greatest game ever made

Orv
May 4, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Disaster report 4 is the world’s greatest rear end in a top hat simulator ever conceived this is incredible. In the opening half hour alone I have:

-cursed out an old lady
-forced a schoolteacher to give me $80 to find her students in the aftermath of an earthquake

Apparently this is published by NIS of all people. Please keep us abreast of your rear end in a top hat adventures.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've yet to play rear end Creed Origins \ Oddysey (barely managed to catch up to Syndicate last year, breaking my own "no more than one rear end Creed per year" rule), but I'd like to remind everyone that the loot and enemy leveling system were (probably just as) poo poo in Witcher 3 as well.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

K8.0 posted:

That's not fair, it also invented one of the worse versions of regenerating health (admittedly, Halo 1's implementation being the least bad of the series) and popularized 2 weapon limits, ruining an entire generation of shooters. And weird loving vehicle controls.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

if driving a warthog doesn't fill you with serene joy you should go jump into the Hague

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So what campaign online coop games exist that are good and not another shooter? Yes I own PORTAL 2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Junkie Disease posted:

So what campaign online coop games exist that are good and not another shooter? Yes I own PORTAL 2

EDF

Anno
May 10, 2017

Junkie Disease posted:

Divinity: Original Sin 1/2

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

On another note to the Halo nonsense going on, been playing Bannerlord. It's basically just Warband with every improvement you'd want to it. It's not revolutionary, but it's impossible to go back to Warband. The large scale battles are amazing, and sieges are way better. The political/economic game is much more interesting too.

So far I've been amassing a small gang of followers after making tons of cash by playing board games at taverns, fighting gangs in cities and buying up businesses, all while acting as a mercenary officer to one of the three factions vying for control of the Imperial throne, just so me and my gangsters/bandits/businesswomen (oddly every companion I've hired has been female, since I've not encountered any male ones at all? While that's a daft bug, they are also all badasses with "the Wronged" after their name) can raid villages, murder their citizens and take all their stuff. My faction seems to be winning, since I've crippled most of the enemy villages. Not going to upgrade myself to a vassal yet, because I don't want to risk taking over the land I've made utterly worthless. Not my problem.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I hear never pay full price for EDF but I'm interested. Divinity already taken care of.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Junkie Disease posted:

I hear never pay full price for EDF but I'm interested. Divinity already taken care of.

Maybe the Trine games? Except for 3.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Taintrunner posted:

-cursed out an old lady

The precursor allows you to do this. Warning 2010 low res video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQ0pnyXFUg

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Taintrunner posted:

-cursed out an old lady

That lines up with Disaster Report and Raw Danger, honestly

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orv posted:

Apparently this is published by NIS of all people. Please keep us abreast of your rear end in a top hat adventures.

-I proceeded to steal the valor of a convenience store clerk and overcharge for a bunch of items in order to find toilet paper

-I also pretended to be a Lieutenant in the military and the game has recorded my profession as "Self-proclaimed lieutenant Gerald McKellen"

-The game records my cash on hand as well as my overall net worth, for some odd reason

-There's some guy on the run from someone else who I keep screwing over

-The game also gave me an achievement for taking a piss

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I think the earliest FPS I remember which did left stick movement and right stick aiming was an optional control scheme for Quake 2 on the PS1. It felt so alien back then!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

-I proceeded to steal the valor of a convenience store clerk and overcharge for a bunch of items in order to find toilet paper

-I also pretended to be a Lieutenant in the military and the game has recorded my profession as "Self-proclaimed lieutenant Gerald McKellen"

-The game records my cash on hand as well as my overall net worth, for some odd reason

-There's some guy on the run from someone else who I keep screwing over

-The game also gave me an achievement for taking a piss

GOTY

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Party Boat posted:

I think the earliest FPS I remember which did left stick movement and right stick aiming was an optional control scheme for Quake 2 on the PS1. It felt so alien back then!

Turok had...uh, stick for aiming and C-buttons for movement

it was novel but maybe not ideal for all the platforming over bottomless pits

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Triarii posted:

Does it even have actual leveling? I'm only a couple of hours in, but I'd heard that they had RPG'd the game up so I was prepared for Borderlands-style "oh no my shotgun is only level 7 and these enemies are level 9 so I'm doing chip damage" and so far I haven't seen anything like that. As far as I can tell enemies just come in four ranks, with higher ranks feeling more like elites with better gear than "same dude but two levels higher so he has bigger numbers".

Edit: Oh also it has a Very Good Dog and he can finally ride in the passenger seat of a truck with you, so this is looking like a good game so far.

What Pwnstar said earlier is correct, the leveling is pretty light overall in the game, its nothing like boderlands. The guns arent randomized, they basically put the normal Far Cry weapons through a tier list so it's easy to get what u need if u arent doin enough damage.

Its honestly pretty great compared to how they could of handled it. IIRC u can even level up lower tier guns by throwing endless resources at them so if u like that tier 1 shotgun, it can still be useful through the whole game. I did that with the vector since it has such a gnarly rate of fire

*edit* i was harsh wen i said the leveling was halfassed. I should of said it was lightly implemented, which is much more preferable imo

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 8, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I get bored super super easily, and I'm pretty sure I have undiagnosed ADHD (for reasons one of my therapists several years back didn't make it an official diagnoses, and if I weren't between therapists currently I'd try to get myself properly diagnosed. It's all complicated and e/n stuff) so sticking to just ONE game is like.... I don't get how people do it on the regular. Some games are special and hold me, but the monomania eventually fades for everything and I'm back to playing all of the games at once.

As you can imagine this is a nightmare for finishing things, so I'm glad I've left that mostly behind. I am here to play games, have fun, and post about 'em. Which I suppose would make me an ideal video game reviewer, but I'd rather put my work energy into college stuff and writing fanfiction.

I am in the same boat w/r/t undiagnosed ADHD (among other things). Though instead of starting lots of games and never finishing them I waffle on starting any game at all. Eventually my brain chills out and I latch onto one specific game and absorb fully into it...and even then there's like a 25% chance that I'll abruptly get bored with it, put it down, tell myself over the course of a week or two that I'll totally get back to it any day now (while not playing anything else in the meantime) and then quietly uninstall it so the cycle can begin anew. If that doesn't happen, then I tend to stick with a game all the way through - like 100% completion of open world games all the way through.

Party Boat posted:

Famously the PS1 Aliens shooter was docked points in reviews for its decision to use such a terrible and unorthodox control scheme.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think I know a single person who referred to Halo as a "Half-Life Killer"

anilEhilated posted:

Fairly sure Halo was always poo poo. The sequels may or may not have improved the level design, but the first game is just bad.

:wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

You have very high standards or the game was never for you if you think halo is poo poo.

That's okay though, you're not required to like everything, nor should you try to.

I have never played this but I would love to if crytek is reading my post on forums.somethingawful.com

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 8, 2020