Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

that teeth one is like precision-targeted at a very specific recurring horrifying intrusive thought I keep having so thanks a whole lot for that

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

https://i.imgur.com/aaf1gVg.mp4

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I talked with a man today, an 80+ year old man. I asked him if there was anything I can get him while this Coronavirus scare was gripping America.

He simply smiled, looked away and said:

"Let me tell you what I need! I need to believe, at some point, this country my generation fought for... I need to believe this nation we handed safely to our children and their children...

I need to know this generation will quit being a bunch of sissies...that they respect what they've been given...that they've earned what others sacrificed for."

I wasn't sure where the conversation was going or if it was going anywhere at all. So, I sat there, quietly observing.

"You know, I was a little boy during WWII. Those were scary days. We didn't know if we were going to be speaking English, German or Japanese at the end of the war. There was no certainty, no guarantees like Americans enjoy today.

And no home went without sacrifice or loss. Every house, up and down every street, had someone in harm's way. Maybe their Daddy was a soldier, maybe their son was a sailor, maybe it was an uncle. Sometimes it was the whole drat family...fathers, sons, uncles...

Having someone, you love, sent off to war...it wasn't less frightening than it is today. It was scary as Hell. If anything, it was more frightening. We didn't have battle front news. We didn't have email or cellphones. You sent them away and you hoped...you prayed. You may not hear from them for months, if ever. Sometimes a mother was getting her son's letters the same day Dad was comforting her over their child's death.

And we sacrificed. You couldn't buy things. Everything was rationed. You were only allowed so much milk per month, only so much bread, toilet paper. EVERYTHING was restricted for the war effort. And what you weren't using, what you didn't need, things you threw away, they were saved and sorted for the war effort. My generation was the original recycling movement in America.

And we had viruses back then...serious viruses. Things like polio, measles, and such. It was nothing to walk to school and pass a house or two that was quarantined. We didn't shut down our schools. We didn't shut down our cities. We carried on, without masks, without hand sanitizer. And do you know what? We persevered. We overcame. We didn't attack our President, we came together. We rallied around the flag for the war. Thick or thin, we were in it to win. And we would lose more boys in an hour of combat than we lose in entire wars today."

He slowly looked away again. Maybe I saw a small tear in the corner of his eye. Then he continued:

"Today's kids don't know sacrifice. They think a sacrifice is not having coverage on their phone while they freely drive across the country. Today's kids are selfish and spoiled. In my generation, we looked out for our elders. We helped out with single moms who's husbands were either at war or dead from war. Today's kids rush the store, buying everything they can...no concern for anyone but themselves. It's shameful the way Americans behave these days. None of them deserve the sacrifices their granddads made.

So, no I don't need anything. I appreciate your offer but, I know I've been through worse things than this virus. But maybe I should be asking you, what can I do to help you? Do you have enough pop to get through this, enough steak? Will you be able to survive with 113 channels on your tv?"

I smiled, fighting back a tear of my own...now humbled by a man in his 80's. All I could do was thank him for the history lesson, leave my number for emergency and leave with my ego firmly tucked in. And then he sucked my cock.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Re: The tooth thing: I know I'm supposed to be horrified at imagining the feeling of it, but what I can't stop thinking about is the noise that the nailclippers would make.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ariong posted:

Re: The tooth thing: I know I'm supposed to be horrified at imagining the feeling of it, but what I can't stop thinking about is the noise that the nailclippers would make.

I'm thinking a sort of "click" that would reverberate in your skull for a moment.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Brits generally have better teeth than Americans. Universal access to free dentistry means there's a much higher uptake on preventative measures that promote general mouth hygiene compared to the American system that promotes expensive for-profit cosmetic procedures over preventative measures.

Anyway, a meme:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BMX Ninja posted:

Brits generally have better teeth than Americans. Universal access to free dentistry means there's a much higher uptake on preventative measures that promote general mouth hygiene compared to the American system that promotes expensive for-profit cosmetic procedures over preventative measures.

Anyway, a meme:

You're not going to stay for the whole set of Clean Underwear, let me tell you. And The Books you'll just pass by on your way to Video Games.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

CleanToilet was a no-show :(

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/LordSpectreX/status/1246556212805672962

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Hey wait a second

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dabir posted:

that teeth one is like precision-targeted at a very specific recurring horrifying intrusive thought I keep having so thanks a whole lot for that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLBBRuVDOo4

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

haven't thought about this one in ages, thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9t-slLl30E

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

If your operator was running a WAP gateway (mine still is!), you could browse the regular Internet with the 6310i and 3310i's more expensive sister, the 3330

With that resolution, PSVR's no way to play God of War!

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Dial up internet in 2002? Lol.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

we didnt get broadband until 2001 growing up so its def possible

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

They were probably referring to known developing nation the united states of america. We had broadband internet in 2002 in norway.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

crazy thing, I had broadband in 2001, but was working for a company that provided dial-up in 2002!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I’m old and out of touch and had broadband in a small town in America in 2000

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Sir Not Appearing posted:

Dial up internet in 2002? Lol.

My family had dial-up through at least 2007. Then again, we lived in a glorified trailer in a bum-gently caress boonie area and were upper-lower class at best.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I think we got broadband(cable internet) in San Antonio, Texas in like 1998 or 1999, during the Ultima Online glory days. I distinctly remember my friend getting it and then me begging my mom to get it as well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

freeedr posted:

I’m old and out of touch and had broadband in a small town in America in 2000

Many small towns in the midwest and other rural areas were used as pilot program areas for early broadband, long before it was rolled out for big population centers. Or that's how I understood it.

My parents in Northern CA only just got off dialup (and onto satellite) about two years ago lmao, there ain't no cable or DSL in their valley and there never will be

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

HAH!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I cannot stop imagining a sharp, debilitating pain in my front teeth. I'm audibly wincing, the thought just won't go away, I cannot concentrate on anything right now. Thanks, thread!

edit:

lol

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Samwise saving the day with a lateral solution.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Does anyone else have that dream where it's not just that your teeth are falling out, but crunching like popcorn as they break into a million crumbly little pieces, while your jaw hinges open along the mandibular suture and sort of flaps around like bird wings? I have anxiety!!! flap flap flap

I apologize for the stupid caption at the bottom:

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Does anyone else have that dream where it's not just that your teeth are falling out, but crunching like popcorn as they break into a million crumbly little pieces, while your jaw hinges open along the mandibular suture and sort of flaps around like bird wings? I have anxiety!!! flap flap flap

I used to have that one, these days though instead of breaking-teeth dreams, I have dreams in which I have endless amounts of chewing gum stuck in my mouth, and no matter how much I shovel it out, I still have huge wads of it stuck up between my teeth, around my gums, crammed in my cheeks, just sooooo much chewing gum.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Eh! Frank posted:

I used to have that one, these days though instead of breaking-teeth dreams, I have dreams in which I have endless amounts of chewing gum stuck in my mouth, and no matter how much I shovel it out, I still have huge wads of it stuck up between my teeth, around my gums, crammed in my cheeks, just sooooo much chewing gum.

And it always tastes just like that putty they use to make casts of your teeth

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Eh! Frank posted:

Lucky for you that it's bubblegum. For me it is endless clumps of wet cardboard and teeth (not mine)

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/9EndlessShrimp6/status/1247855989421899777?s=19

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

titties posted:

Lucky for you that it's bubblegum. For me it is endless clumps of wet cardboard and teeth (not mine)

Sometimes it's chewy overcooked meat/gristle

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Teeth dreams are one of those "universal" dream motifs that I have somehow never experienced in my entire life.

Being naked at school, though....I get that all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

wizzardstaff posted:

Teeth dreams are one of those "universal" dream motifs that I have somehow never experienced in my entire life.

Being naked at school, though....I get that all the time.

is that your nightmare, or the school's?