Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Donkeys live a long time. None of you has ever seen a dead donkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

Donkeys live a long time. None of you has ever seen a dead donkey.

Eugh, could you drop it?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Eugh, could you drop it?

It's an amusing counter for "donkey-brained" meaning stupid using a famous quote.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

It's an amusing counter for "donkey-brained" meaning stupid using a famous quote.

I guess my reference was a bit too esoteric

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

marshmallow creep posted:

I knew about Mr. Crabs but loving what!? How did I not know this?

Peep this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5tdfMNxeno

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gotcha, missed that one :doh:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Stand was written in 1978 and originally took place in 1980, then recon'd to 1985 with the paperback version, and then changed again to 1990 in the expanded edition. But most of the language is still stuck in 1978. But its Stephen King's 1978, so really 1958.

King also did a poo poo job of updating large parts of the book to reflect his inexplicable need to advance the calendar with each revision. So Larry tries to get an ambulance by calling the hospital instead of 911. A couple of survivors later enjoy some brews with pop-tops. Stupid poo poo.
some people will pick on the failed updating by pointing out the absurdity of the main guy being a big rock star whose big hit single was "baby can you dig your man" in 1990 but there was never a time when that song wouldn't've fuckin sucked

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

InediblePenguin posted:

some people will pick on the failed updating by pointing out the absurdity of the main guy being a big rock star whose big hit single was "baby can you dig your man" in 1990 but there was never a time when that song wouldn't've fuckin sucked

I'd say it was more up to date if anything, because 1990 is about the point where every hit single started to loving suck.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jedit posted:

I'd say it was more up to date if anything, because 1990 is about the point where every hit single started to loving suck.

All apologies.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

marshmallow creep posted:

I knew about Mr. Crabs but loving what!? How did I not know this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqJNyb8knvE

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

When Corin Nemec transitions from proto-incel to campy supervillain as a result of having sex with Laura San Giacomo, he immediately switches to a white tshirt and leather jacket with jeans.
If I had sex with Laura San Giaccomo I'd probably dress like a rebel without a cause, too.

But seriously, by casting Parker Lewis they glosses over that Incelman was a legit fat pimpled gently caress who lost some weight getting to Grandma Magiclady then worked hard to look good as part of his nefarious plot to... be a dick to a bunch of people because he got cockblocked by Lt. Dan.

InediblePenguin posted:

there was never a time when that song wouldn't've fuckin sucked
This came out in 1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqnO40AGRSc

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Apr 8, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I haven't heard that in over 20 years and I was a much better person for it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MrUnderbridge posted:

"Retard" was the pejorative, but "retarded" was the clinical term for the longest time. The state agency was MHMR - mental health/mental retardation, and a place that was an advocacy group was called the ARC - Association for Retarded Citizens. That was up to around 1990 or so. I changed states after that so I don't know what they changed to, if anything.

"Moron", "idiot" and "imbecile" were clinical terms for different levels of developmental deficiencies.

But yeah, kids (and a lot of adults) will take any term relating to the condition and use it.

Luckily, "dolt" is still accepted.

My mother taught special ed for years. When she started, very few school systems actually had a recognized special education program. Her first job was at a privately-run center, her second at two-county cooperative (housed in one and she was paid by the other).

Down syndrome children were frequently called "mongoloid" through at least the texts of the mid-1970s because of the perceived similarities between the facial features of these kids and folks from Mongolia. Depending on level of ability, kids were referred to as "trainables," able to work some simple job somewhere, like bagging groceries or sweeping floors.

Her special education college classes included field trips. Before the privately run local centers, families with any monetary means generally sent their kids off to state centers. Arthur Miller did that with his son, Daniel, who has Down Syndrome. Miller never had a relationship with his son and never acknowledged his existence. Only one obituary for Miller mentioned Daniel and even that publication didn't know if Daniel was still living (he is).

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Iron Crowned posted:

When I was in middle school, one guy decided to use "corky" and it took off in my middle school for all of 7th and 8th grade.

I assume that’s because of the tv show Life Goes On

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The way people treat the disabled, and especially the seriously mentally ill and developmentally disabled, was and frequently still is nothing short of monstrous!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I was rewatching Wild Wild Country recently. Apparently calling the homeless "street people" was normal in the 80s.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

InediblePenguin posted:

I could hear that coming out of Jon Spencer, but lol at the Blues Explosion hitting the top of the charts.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

capitaldelendaest posted:

The way people treat the disabled, and especially the seriously mentally ill and developmentally disabled, was and frequently still is nothing short of monstrous!

It’s why I found Ozark season 3 so heart wrenching

There’s a point where I was just envisioning Of Mice and Men and poo poo Wendy’s gonna have to tell her brother about the rabbits right about now

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Elissimpark posted:

I could hear that coming out of Jon Spencer, but lol at the Blues Explosion hitting the top of the charts.

i guess the black keys could do it

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Re the stuff about language changing, and things that were once clinical terms, (moron, imbecile etc.) becoming insults and slurs.

I think there is a lot of that in many inexplicably racist sweet old people. I.E. your grandma saying "look at the dancing coloured folk on the TV." When people tell her that she can't say that, and that it is racist, she is confused. Because she is using what she learned as a clinical term, and as such meant no ill will or bigotry by using it. In some cases.

Of course when they double down on using it, "I don't care what you say, or how they feel. That's the word I grew up using and I will keep using it, and those bloody jigaboos need to grow thicker skins." Then of course that is both old people arseholery and racism.

On this, the doubling down and stubborn refusal to change is something I have never understood. I have accidentally used phrases/words to describe people that I later learned were offensive, (I am Australian and sometimes use "oval office" to describe people amongst non-Australians etc.). The thing is, once somebody tells you that they don't like you using that word, or being described as that word, if you are not an arsehole you go "Whoops, sorry. I didn't know that phrase/word was offensive. I will try my best not to use it again." Which, whilst not perfect, at least shows you care about their feelings.

Coz the important thing is, if you aren't prepared to use a different word or phrase to use to describe a thing that doesn't offend/hurt people, then perhaps the problem is you and your attitude, rather than theirs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It’s why I found Ozark season 3 so heart wrenching

There’s a point where I was just envisioning Of Mice and Men and poo poo Wendy’s gonna have to tell her brother about the rabbits right about now

Watching this now and yeah-- it's a good show but the way the only explicitly mentally ill character gets treated feels goddamn archetypal.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I briefly dated a cousin of Corin Nemec in college, and now that dude’s last name causes me physical revulsion whenever I see it.

Yes, I do want fries with that, thanks. I’ll pull thru and pay for my food now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I briefly dated a cousin of Corin Nemec in college, and now that dude’s last name causes me physical revulsion whenever I see it.

Yes, I do want fries with that, thanks. I’ll pull thru and pay for my food now.

Nah, he's a junk person--he's a scientologist and I think somewhat big in the leadership. I don't know if he was one of the ones raised in it or if he's an adult convert, but definitely complicit in horrific human rights abuses.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Nah, he's a junk person--he's a scientologist and I think somewhat big in the leadership. I don't know if he was one of the ones raised in it or if he's an adult convert, but definitely complicit in horrific human rights abuses.

Didn't he piss off a lot of people during his one year on Stargate SG-1 by trying to indoctrinate staff and cast members into Scientology?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jedit posted:

If you think you can just slam the Mighty Mighty Bosstones right in front of me like that and get away with it you’re sorely mistaken, pal.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

christmas boots posted:

If you think you can just slam the Mighty Mighty Bosstones right in front of me like that and get away with it you’re sorely mistaken, pal.

You like the Mughty Mighty Bosstones, that’sthe impression I get from this post.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Watching this now and yeah-- it's a good show but the way the only explicitly mentally ill character gets treated feels goddamn archetypal.

I thought they handled it really well at the beginning - he's dealing with some stuff, but it's not defining his role or relationships with anybody. He's trying to be the cool uncle, trying to reconnect with his sister etc. It's only later on that it becomes his entire character.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Captain Monkey posted:

You like the Mughty Mighty Bosstones, that’sthe impression I get from this post.

You would understand if you’d ever been close to tragedy.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Hey, give him a break. He's never been tested.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Maybe someday I suppose.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I thought they handled it really well at the beginning - he's dealing with some stuff, but it's not defining his role or relationships with anybody. He's trying to be the cool uncle, trying to reconnect with his sister etc. It's only later on that it becomes his entire character.

It felt fairly accurate-- getting institutionalized and getting extremely stressed by loved ones who (in this case correctly) treat you as someone who really doesn't grasp the severity of the situation made his descent into blubbering and episodes fairly plausible and the actor rose to the occasion for all the hard lifts. The very first scene we meet the character he throws a ton of children's phones into a woodchipper for bullying a classmate on social media, calling them "sociopaths" and not caring that it'll get him fired and a warrant out for his arrest, establishing that he has rage/control issues and a warped... borderline juvenile sense of how community dynamics actually work in the real world, and serious trouble coping with it. As one of the dreaded autistics with comorbidities it rang very accurate to experiences I've had and seen in others. It did feel a bit hurtful that he was incapable of wising up right up to the very end, but honestly some people really are that stupid.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

christmas boots posted:

How about close to those who have?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mind the walrus posted:

It felt fairly accurate-- getting institutionalized and getting extremely stressed by loved ones who (in this case correctly) treat you as someone who really doesn't grasp the severity of the situation made his descent into blubbering and episodes fairly plausible and the actor rose to the occasion for all the hard lifts. The very first scene we meet the character he throws a ton of children's phones into a woodchipper for bullying a classmate on social media, calling them "sociopaths" and not caring that it'll get him fired and a warrant out for his arrest, establishing that he has rage/control issues and a warped... borderline juvenile sense of how community dynamics actually work in the real world, and serious trouble coping with it. As one of the dreaded autistics with comorbidities it rang very accurate to experiences I've had and seen in others. It did feel a bit hurtful that he was incapable of wising up right up to the very end, but honestly some people really are that stupid.

He was basically high on his messed up brain chemistry from unmedicated bipolar so it wasn’t that he was normally that stupid (stupid enough to stop his meds so he could get his dick wet though) he was just impaired

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PizzaProwler posted:

How about close to those who have?

Well, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed

...aw gently caress!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

Oh yeah, dude was fantastic to watch. A friend of mine recently got sectioned, and the scene in the taxi where he's completely freewheeling and struggling to scrape his thoughts together felt very true to life.

There's not a bad performance in the whole show, but he really stood out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

He was basically high on his messed up brain chemistry from unmedicated bipolar so it wasn’t that he was normally that stupid (stupid enough to stop his meds so he could get his dick wet though) he was just impaired

Yeah that's the angle, I mean at the very end, stuff like calling Helen to try and "talk it out" without thinking that it could let her track them. It's very plausible but y'know, also stupid in a way that just "being impaired" can't really excuse.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh yeah, dude was fantastic to watch. A friend of mine recently got sectioned, and the scene in the taxi where he's completely freewheeling and struggling to scrape his thoughts together felt very true to life.

There's not a bad performance in the whole show, but he really stood out.

Yeah it's such a good meat-and-potatoes crime show. I worry about where it can go from the finale, but overall it delivers exactly what you'd want how of such a program. Even the kid characters are compelling.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Well, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed

...aw gently caress!

Shouldn’t you be stuffing your face with delicious eggs?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I decided to try watching Red Vs Blue again, to try an relive a bit of comedy from my college days. I couldn't do it. A lot of the jokes were still pretty good, but they used the R word so much it was just jarring and I had to stop.

Haven't watched or listened to anything new from Rooster Teeth in probably around 15 years, so don't know if they got any better.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Revisiting the use of retard and mentally handicapped characters, didn't L.A. Law do a passable job of representation?

I'll admit, it's been probably close to 20 years since I've seen an episode, so all I remember is that they had that character in the first place, but, I don't remember it being a bad representation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Master Twig posted:

I decided to try watching Red Vs Blue again, to try an relive a bit of comedy from my college days. I couldn't do it. A lot of the jokes were still pretty good, but they used the R word so much it was just jarring and I had to stop.

Haven't watched or listened to anything new from Rooster Teeth in probably around 15 years, so don't know if they got any better.

There's a guy I graduated with in 2007 who is now at least 31 who still goes by the name Church because of RvB and it's every bit as weird as you would think