Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Maybe a weird question, but: does What Remains of Edith Finch have multiple endings, or is it always the same one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Pretty sure it's always the same one.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Picayune posted:

Maybe a weird question, but: does What Remains of Edith Finch have multiple endings, or is it always the same one?

I saw it best described as a magic realism novel in game form. There's not a surplus of hidden objects or trinkets to find and a small handful of achievements. It's a game meant to be experienced in a single sitting.

This quarantine hell-world is finally breaking me of by crippling backlog anxiety and I'm getting to play some good games.

The Legend of Korra
is nice, if pretty short and has at best 10 minutes of story material. It's clearly a time attack/score attack arcade type game and the combat definitely keeps pace with the game to remain fun up until the last level.

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death is a low budget 80s action movie game where something is exploding almost every few seconds while you murder your through armies of mining corp security and giant bugs. It's clearly made on a very tight budget but is just goofy enough to maintain a sense of enjoyment especially with all the trash talking from the death mask to the main character.

Prey 2017 was outstanding one of the best games in recent years and Doom 2016 was a fun murder-fest that started to drag on in the last 1/4 but kept up the momentum to make it worth beating.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Anno posted:

Gears Tactics is looking like a surprisingly good action-XCOM.

welp, gears of war finally got interesting to me

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

John Murdoch posted:

Famously the PS1 Aliens shooter was docked points in reviews for its decision to use such a terrible and unorthodox control scheme.

I found the review in question: https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/alien-resurrection-review/1900-2637344/

quote:

The game's control setup is its most terrifying element. The left analog stick moves you forward, back, and strafes right and left, while the right analog stick turns you and can be used to look up and down. Too often, you'll turn to face a foe and find that your weapon is aimed at the floor or ceiling while the alien gleefully hacks away at your midsection. Add to the mix a few other head scratchers - such as how the triangle button controls item and health use - and you'll be wondering how Sony let this get by without requesting a few different control configuration options.

Lol

quote:

Fans of console first-person shooters or the Alien film series will probably be better off waiting for Fox's recently announced Aliens: Colonial Marines for the PlayStation 2. While no concrete details have been announced for the game yet, this is one instance where the unknown is preferable to the devil you know.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The TRIANGLE BUTTON for items?! What is this incredible madness that Sony expects us to buy?!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That review reads like something from an alternate reality.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They say that Steve Garrett is still waiting for Colonial Marines to this day.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Receiver 2 is coming out in seven days.

As for No Man's Sky, the option to scale your resolution while keeping the UI sharp should be mandatory in every game, especially every Anno game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Blattdorf posted:

Receiver 2 is coming out in seven days.

Gimme that sweet Mindkill. I loved the original Receiver and I hope this one can keep up that somber cyberpunk feel.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Using both sticks at once!? How will I ever manage? I am just a man, Argonaut Games, not some kind of video game-playing machine!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Party Boat posted:

I think the earliest FPS I remember which did left stick movement and right stick aiming was an optional control scheme for Quake 2 on the PS1. It felt so alien back then!

IIRC Goldeneye on the N64 had a twin stick style setup if you had two controllers. I've only read about it as doing something as out there as using 2 separate devices to control things seemed like such an alien concept when i owned an N64.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Taintrunner posted:

Disaster report 4 is the world’s greatest rear end in a top hat simulator ever conceived this is incredible. In the opening half hour alone I have:

-cursed out an old lady
-hummed showtunes and ignored an earthquake warning
-chastised an old man for taking an early lunch break
-sold bandages for $100 apiece
-forced a schoolteacher to give me $80 to find her students in the aftermath of an earthquake
-made a gyaru schoolgirl crawl through wreckage because I found her annoying

This is the greatest game ever made
In DR2 you could steal the hat from the head of a guy handing onto the edge of a collapsed bridge, and let him fall down. You could leave your school bully behind in a rapidly flooding school. You could step on an old lady's contact lens after offering to look for it. You could convince a girl with stepmother issues to completely abandon any search for the woman, and fly away in a helicopter.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My name is Jagoff Simpdong, (blame content filters, it should have been Jackoff Simpdick) and I graduated from one of Osaka's top business schools with really good grades. Now,

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 8, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lord Lambeth posted:

You have very high standards or the game was never for you if you think halo is poo poo.
The thing is, I played the PC version shortly after its release and was really hoping for a good FPS. The entire shift to slow movement, regenerating health meaning you had to hide behind cover every two minutes, incredibly boring arsenal (props to the Needler for being the only remotly interesting or satisfying gun in the entire thing) and repetitive level design did not make a good impression. The introduction of Flood and their levels was just... ugh. I don't think I even finished the game.
Maybe I would like it more now with having the benefit of hindsight, but the sentiment among gamers back then was pretty much "this is what the future of shooters looks like" and I would have none of that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Halo 1 did not have regenerating health.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Duke Nukem Forever didn't have regenerating health either, because they called it Ego you see

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yeah it was your shields that regenerated. god you really embarrassed yourself there.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It had a regenerating shield with the same effect.

I enjoyed Halo when it came out, mostly for the co-op campaign, but there were certainly some cool moments. I recently tried the MCC via Gamepass and played through Reach and felt it was awful. Halo had a certain clunky charm and the fact that it was so new and impressive at the time got it a pass on the clunkier aspect like the slow movement and the gliding Warhog. The setting played into this too. Since you were cut off on an alien Ringworld you had to make do with what you had, and the Chief being a lone supersoldier just slogging through the aliens with minimal contact with other humans reinforced that feeling. Only having two guns meant you often ran out of ammo and had to find alien weapons, which highlighted the lack of support you had, etc.

Reach felt like the film adaption of a cartoon show. Everything is still goofy and impractical but now you're expected to take it seriously. Or perhaps it's like in the Star Wars prequels where all the younglings are doing the helmet/droid training that Obi improvised for Luke - what had seemed like an ad hoc solution is now presented as standard operating procedure. There's big battles with dozens of Warthogs charging at 20 Ghosts while they drift and slide around. There's constant terrible gritty dialogue. You're in a huge military base but you still can't just pick up weapons and ammo before a mission. The story is dumb and has constant drama and twists just for the sake of having drama and twists. At some point you become a space fighter pilot and the UI really isn't made for it. Somehow a squad of 6 supersoldiers feels far weaker than just the Chief in the first game.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 8, 2020

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

exquisite tea posted:

Halo 1 did not have regenerating health.

You card. :v:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It is kind of a meaningful distinction, since health packs + regenerating shields is a way more interesting design than just regenerating health alone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Beset on all sides by haters but I fear not, for my game knowledge is strong.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

John Murdoch posted:

It is kind of a meaningful distinction, since health packs + regenerating shields is a way more interesting design than just regenerating health alone.
A lot of games these days seem to be switching to it for that exact reason.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I need help. I've discovered a love for playing spider solitaire and freecell solitaire, and I have no idea what the best programs for this are. I tried the Windows 10 solitaire app, but unlike previous versions of windows, it's a goddamn mobile app where you have to pay a monthly fee to make the advertisements go away.

So: where do I get my solitaire fix? Is there a good game on steam? Uplay? Elsewhere? I don't care what launches it as long as I can knock out a couple rounds and maybe play some klondike solitaire too. I am willing to pay money, but I want to own it, not pay rent.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

StrixNebulosa posted:

So: where do I get my solitaire fix? Is there a good game on steam? Uplay? Elsewhere? I don't care what launches it as long as I can knock out a couple rounds and maybe play some klondike solitaire too. I am willing to pay money, but I want to own it, not pay rent.
Try Runespell: Overture.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nyaa posted:

Try Runespell: Overture.

I genuinely love my hoard: bought it in 2016, never touched it. I'll give it a shot now, thanks!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Faerie Solitaire is also available on Steam. It's solitaire, but you can also level up to do... something? I have no idea. I never even tried.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Faerie Solitaire is also available on Steam. It's solitaire, but you can also level up to do... something? I have no idea. I never even tried.

That's the more standard on steam up/down solitaire! I've played it and almost every other variant of it on steam. I'm looking for spider solitaire and/or free cell.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

i think shadowhand is absolutely worth a look if you want solitaire!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's the more standard on steam up/down solitaire! I've played it and almost every other variant of it on steam. I'm looking for spider solitaire and/or free cell.
Doh, sorry. I don't know that much about Solitaire, I didn't realize there's a difference. Would online Spider Solitaire be good?

https://www.free-spider-solitaire.com/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Artelier posted:

i think shadowhand is absolutely worth a look if you want solitaire!

good rec! sadly, still not spider solitaire nor free cells

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
This looks strangely familiar somehow, but I can’t quite put my finger on it. can anyone help out?

https://twitter.com/team17ltd/status/1247871820222660609?s=21

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Doh, sorry. I don't know that much about Solitaire, I didn't realize there's a difference. Would online Spider Solitaire be good?

https://www.free-spider-solitaire.com/

Yeah, perfect, thanks!

oh sweet christ four suit spider? :stare:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Halo PC was great, I played the hell out of it in multi. I was even in a clan back when those existed :v:

Darkrenown posted:

Somehow a squad of 6 supersoldiers feels far weaker than just the Chief in the first game.

This is incidental to your complaints about the game but your squad of six supersoldiers ARE weaker than Chief. You're all lovely discount John Halos made on a budget except for a single guy who explodes on the alien carrier.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

StrixNebulosa posted:

There's FreeCell Quest, which has something silly like 500+ levels of escalating difficulty FreeCell, bundled up in a weird RPG wrapper.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

atholbrose posted:

There's FreeCell Quest, which has something silly like 500+ levels of escalating difficulty FreeCell, bundled up in a weird RPG wrapper.

Oooooh, gimme gimme!

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I'm considering picking up No Man's Sky at some point in the near future. Any gotcha reason not to? I just want something kinda chill to build stuff\explore. I don't mind a little combat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm considering picking up No Man's Sky at some point in the near future. Any gotcha reason not to?
It's not really very good. I've tried getting into it three times now and bounced every time.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm considering picking up No Man's Sky at some point in the near future. Any gotcha reason not to? I just want something kinda chill to build stuff\explore. I don't mind a little combat.

As someone who explored it early on and "beat" the game, it was relaxing and fun. It current version is a little too complicated for it's own good, but there is more to explore now.

Someday I'll jump back in again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Irritated Goat posted:

Cardiovorax posted:

It's not really very good. I've tried getting into it three times now and bounced every time.

I'll play devil's advocate here and say that if you just want to build stuff/explore it's worth checking out on sale. I've come back to it after some of the last few patches and I've been pretty pleased with the trajectory of the game since launch. The building is pretty fiddly so I haven't built a ton of stuff outside of the things you need to get a base going but they've fleshed that out quite a bit since launch as well.