Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Maybe we convince Mexico and Canada to invade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
secession is unconstitutional and if a state with significant military presence (ie, all of them) tried it, the feds would absolutely have none of it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

syntaxrigger posted:

Considering how unhelpful the federal government has been during the pandemic and leaving some governors to their own devices, it would seem to me secession is more likely than it has been in the past BUT I don't ever see that happening. Especially not without bloodshed.

maybe not a loud, bloody secession but we're already seeing states band together through side channels to evade the feds when distributing medical supplies and that can't help national cohesion

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

buying AR15s. maybe look into it?

I'm tempted to pick up a makarov.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm tempted to pick up a makarov.

makarov died after 7 heart attacks which is pretty amazing

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

secession is unconstitutional and if a state with significant military presence (ie, all of them) tried it, the feds would absolutely have none of it

i saw some f35s flying around today and it was cool as heck, we can still fix america :911:

also hf those things are LOUD

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

countries don’t generally put the terms for breaking up the country in their founding documents

but somehow they still find a way

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
lol if the f35 doesn't make you think of everything that's wrong with america

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Broken Machine posted:

i saw some f35s flying around today and it was cool as heck, we can still fix america :911:

also hf those things are LOUD
yeah, plane crashes really hit the high end for decibels I bet

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Progressive JPEG posted:

got contactless beer delivery from the essential brewer, in time for the 4 day easter weekend woop

oh poo poo I forgot about that gotta get the Easter bunny it’s poo poo together or else the young ones will be going the non-believers

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

PCjr sidecar posted:

good ole hobby farmers. they don’t make a significant fraction of output or get most of the subsidies but they have a shitload of land

:chord:

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

haveblue posted:

maybe not a loud, bloody secession but we're already seeing states band together through side channels to evade the feds when distributing medical supplies and that can't help national cohesion

I am not sure what "national cohesion" means in this sense but if it is basically "people are mad at the federal government" I think that is basically Texas and Louisiana all the time.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

you gotta have huge tracts of land or hundreds of cows to make it in farming

genuinely was looking into bug farming. market not quite ready when I was looking plus cash flow and logistics meh

so it was back to being paid six nz figgies for excel functions for me

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

you gotta have huge tracts of land or hundreds of cows to make it in farming

genuinely was looking into bug farming. market not quite ready when I was looking plus cash flow and logistics meh

so it was back to being paid six nz figgies for excel functions for me

Banking on dystopia timeline with alternative food sources. I'm IN. Please include crawfish tia.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

i fuckign knew it

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I’m still writing in Bernie Sanders and I’m still going to make sure the Hawaii Democratic Party has MFA as a policy platform and I’m still going to try and go to Milwaukee and make life hell for these dumbass centrists. It’s more work now, but it was always going to be a lot of work.

I still respect Bernie but it isn’t about him, it’s about us.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

syntaxrigger posted:

Banking on dystopia timeline with alternative food sources. I'm IN. Please include crawfish tia.

pretty sure thats a similar setup in mona lisa overdrive in the wastelands of ohio so this sounds like a sound plan

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i kind of wish bern had stayed in until he had 1200 delegates, because then he would get to help set the platform at the dnc, but whatever. i understand why he bowed out due to corona. biden is a demented piece of poo poo tho

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

they all are :ssh:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://twitter.com/ConcernedMom69/status/1247913858209103872?s=20

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

too true, stop, it hurts

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Fool posted:

too true, stop, it hurts

https://twitter.com/donni/status/1247729433366183937?s=20

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

PIZZA.BAT posted:

we have first past the post voting combined with winner take all. this naturally forces politics into a bifurcated system. there are examples out there where this isn't the case but you need significant cultural norms to overcome it. the fact we immediately split into a two-party system and stayed there for centuries pretty much means we're stuck with it unless we completely overhaul how votes are tallied and distribute power
Oh it gets better than that. Bifurcated parties + primaries + pervasive gerrymandering encourage a very clear "us and them" form of politics. Their loss is your gain. That's why America was virtually alone in "politicizing" whether or not you "believed in coronavirus".

Contrast this with reasonable systems using reasonable voting systems - everyone is so polite because they need to work with eachother and form coalitions to govern rather than win primaries - and it actually matters to get support of voters deciding their second/third choice. You know, compromising and stuff.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

:smith:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
now that i've thought about it for the day i'm probably writing in the coronavirus for president

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ah yes aus multiparty ranked choice which has produced (checks notes) a right govt and a center left party in minority and one seat for the greens

transformative

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

ShadowHawk posted:

Oh it gets better than that. Bifurcated parties + primaries + pervasive gerrymandering encourage a very clear "us and them" form of politics. Their loss is your gain. That's why America was virtually alone in "politicizing" whether or not you "believed in coronavirus".

Contrast this with reasonable systems using reasonable voting systems - everyone is so polite because they need to work with eachother and form coalitions to govern rather than win primaries - and it actually matters to get support of voters deciding their second/third choice. You know, compromising and stuff.

italy-parliament-fistfight.gif

or the loving uk lib dems teaming up with torys for austerity lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i have no lower opinion than people who speed in residential neighborhoods. just pure unadulterated selfishness and ignorance

excuse me but traffic on the 80 was so bad and waze told me to take this side street past this school and god damnit i was held up at this stupid light for 15 seconds longer and i gotta make up lost time and gently caress there were also other idiots following waze and backed up traffic at this rando stop sign because idiots wouldn't just roll through it like smarties and and now i turned onto this other residential street and gotta blow through quick to make up all this lost time to get around them before the next intersection and my hemmerhoids are on the verge of popping after sitting in my f350 freedom rancher 9/11 edition truck for 1.2 hrs!!! gently caress u i will never drive slow in residential streets

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the ballot in california for a major position like senate or governor or president has a dozen names of candidates from random rear end political parties that most people have never heard of. they don't get any meaningful amount of votes. millions of californians who would probably struggle to fill in a scantron have somehow trained themselves to scan through all those names, find the one that says DEMOCRATIC next to it, and fill in that box. i seriously doubt that a change to ranked-choice voting would result in any immediate change beyond just putting 1 in the same box

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think once you get through a few elections w/ ranked choice people will get more comfortable with it and not worry about putting preferred candidates above their fallback.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
more importantly, you need to have actually meaningful third-party candidates, which you will never get under the current system

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

I think once you get through a few elections w/ ranked choice people will get more comfortable with it and not worry about putting preferred candidates above their fallback.

shaggar was right

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

PCjr sidecar posted:

ah yes aus multiparty ranked choice which has produced (checks notes) a right govt and a center left party in minority and one seat for the greens

transformative

that may reflect more on the australian populace than the process

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fucken hell I have a girl that works under me who is going to break quarantine and spend easter in a coronavirus hotspot and come back to the pharmacy to work next week

and I’m terrified of her. like nothing is below her. she’d break into my house and smash my poo poo up if she knew it was me

she doesn’t pay income tax

does not give a single gently caress about doing the right thing, just the thing that works for her

she has a daughter but I think she did whatever it was she could to lose custody on purpose so she could spend more of her life doing whatever it is the gently caress she wants

once she was part of a small community gym(that rented part of a building for certain nights a week) and she fundraised some money for a mural but some poo poo happened and they wanted the money for something else and tried to take her to small claims court or some bullshit so while this was happening she out of her own pocket created a gym in the same building at different times of the week but made it free, just to drive the other gym out of business purely out of spite

she’s literally the worst person I’ve met and i’m very scared for my own lifestyle if she decides she doesn’t like me

I also work alone with her a couple days a week

a classic libertarian lol

but in great news our health minister broke quarantine twice and destroyed his own career, and was quoted saying in response to all of this “yeah I was a bit of a dick”

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

fucken hell I have a girl that works under me

nice

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I feel like we’re more likely to evolve into some kind of arch-Soviet system of liberal capitalist oligarchy at this point

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I thought we were there in all but name anyway

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

lancemantis posted:

I feel like we’re more likely to evolve into some kind of arch-Soviet system of liberal capitalist oligarchy at this point

but we're there tho

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

lancemantis posted:

since the early 2000s ive thought the future of the us would be essentially 'brazil north'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
we're pretty much just going to slide into increasing worsening conditions into a children of men-esque failed liberal democracy that's held together by hot-melt glue equivalent of militarized police corpofascism and everyone is brow-beaten into submission trying to keep their heads down in a malaise daze

it would be better to have the rich cooked alive and eaten but well, not happening soon. status qup has a lot of wealth and power and ability to manufacture consent with spending only minimal effort to keep it going compared to changing it. check back in 4-8+ years