Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Galewolf posted:

London weather is beautiful today (now that's a sentence you don't get to hear often) and I swear it feels like everyone is out there having fun while I'm sitting here doing my receipts and baking (or failing to bake) bread. :smith:

If you want tips on bread baking I've been making soda bread pretty successfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that is clearly a cheese

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

CheeseThief posted:

The park near me is actually a grave yard that went out of use in the 90s, the local government bought the land up but couldn't get permission to turn it into one of those manicured lawn type parks. So, instead it was allowed to basically grow wild with some dirt/gravel paths winding through the trees and headstones.

It's so nice being able to walk in the shelter of big trees, surrounded by wild flowers and as much native life as London can support, compared to the scrubby dry grass fields and rapidly wilting daffodils of most London parks. There's a little corner with beehives where the workers are just starting to head out in the warm weather, an education centre where schools can visit for learning about habitats, the wife and I have spotted a pair of parrots living in the trees and it can be pretty fascinating reading some of the old stones.

Yesterday we saw a squirrel carry a whole bagel up a tree only to drop it, rinse and repeat.

I actually donated £20 to the charity supporting the park, I've been using it so much lately and really enjoying it only felt right.

Sounds gorgeous.

I had an absolutely lovely half hour in the sun, sitting in the asphalt of a supermarket car park, waiting in the extended queue to get in.

Honestly the nicest (and longest) time in the sun and fresh air for ages.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

that is clearly a cheese

Man I wish I could make cheese in my flat, we've been out of everything but Italian hard cheese for like a week.

If that's not a first world problem I don't know what is.

We're also running out of meat but got some vegetable delivered by the company that normally does my dry cleaning. So I've also made some frankenstein veggie burgers because there's no other way I am eating broccoli and I'm not sure what else I can do with just onions, carrots, and potatoes other than a soup.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Kitchner posted:

If you want tips on bread baking I've been making soda bread pretty successfully.

That looks pretty good, I tried this (no knead country bread) and it turned out okay-ish. The crust was a bit on the thicker side and this time it raised but I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Is that sourdough and what's the recipe?

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Lol “we didn’t adopt a currency because the cartoon on it was the wrong one. “

They could literally have had the queen on the coin.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Galewolf posted:

That looks pretty good, I tried this (no knead country bread) and it turned out okay-ish. The crust was a bit on the thicker side and this time it raised but I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Is that sourdough and what's the recipe?

It's a soda bread, which means it doesn't use yeast.

Basically in terms of bread that raises, you've got three main types:

• Traditional bread using yeast which must be kneaded and left to rise
  • Sourdough which uses a yeast "starter" which isn't too hard to do, it's just :effort:
  • Soda bread, which replaces yeast as a rising agent with a mix of acid and bicarbonate of soda to rise the bread

All three have different textures and tastes. The one in the YouTube video you linked me is basically the first one, but if you're going through the effort of using yeast and stuff (I can't get hold of any)I'd just make a normal white bread.

Sourdough there's loads of stuff online in terms of how to do a starter but I've never done it myself as it's a lot of effort and I'm not a huge sourdough fan anyway.

Soda bread is by far the easiest and doesn't need yeast. The recipe I've been using is dead simple:

• About 500g of flour
  • 400ml of milk
  • 40ml of leman juice (two table spoons or one lemon juiced)
  • Two teaspoons of salt
  • Two teaspoons of honey
  • One teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda

First you mix the flour, salt, and bicarb in a bowl, make sure its mixed well otherwise you end up with bicarb blobs in your bread.

You put the lemon juice in the milk and leave for a few minutes, and you get a rough approximation of buttermilk (you can use buttermilk instead of you have it). Also stir the honey into the milk.

Tip the buttermilk substitute with honey into the flour and mix it all up with a knife. If should form a solid but slightly sticky dough, if its too wet just add more flour, too dry add a bit of milk.

Then you need to work it on a floured surface sort of making it into a rough dome, tucking the dough underneath the dome. Then you take a knife and cut a deep cross in the top.

Then it's 40 minutes in a 180c oven.

The trick is getting the dough to the right consistency and stuff, Paul Hollywood has a different recipe but it's good to watch to see him handle the dough. Also he cuts the dough in a dumb way in my view so don't copy that either.

https://youtu.be/Tlat5vxDG5A

If I had yeast I'd just make "proper" bread and knead it and stuff, more effort but it is a bit fluffier than soda bread and has a more neutral taste. Can't get hold of yeast for the life of me though.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

sassassin posted:

I imagine death feels pretty great after a few days of lung shredding assisted breather.

I thought he was not on a ventilator.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Oh wow, thanks for the recipe. I definitely have all the ingredients so I'll try to give it a go for my next bread. Thanks a bunch, my fellow "quarantine baker" buddy. To be honest, I was always the one who cooked in general so this doesn't feel to unnatural and fresh bread tastes great.

I bought two small cans of yeast around 13th of March, sensing that we might end up spending alot of time inside. It should hold for a long time, my Turkish market had a 10 kg flour bag so I grabbed one on top of our "emergency" flour in the pantry but each bread uses like 500g of it so it's the real bottleneck.

I am going to give garlic naan another go since I have a rolling pin now.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CountryMatters posted:

If only the British weren't so venal and foolish, they could be in the enviable situation Greece is with respect to controlling their own money

otherwise greece is a chill place ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Galewolf posted:

I bought two small cans of yeast around 13th of March, sensing that we might end up spending alot of time inside. It should hold for a long time, my Turkish market had a 10 kg flour bag so I grabbed one on top of our "emergency" flour in the pantry but each bread uses like 500g of it so it's the real bottleneck.

Aww man, I'm so jealous. If I had access to that much flour and yeast right now I'd be match making dough, freezing it, and baking fresh bread every other day.

I reckon I've got enough flour and milk for another three loaves like that one I think.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Kitchner posted:

Aww man, I'm so jealous. If I had access to that much flour and yeast right now I'd be match making dough, freezing it, and baking fresh bread every other day.

I reckon I've got enough flour and milk for another three loaves like that one I think.

I kinda sensed (it's like spider senses but instead of radioactive spider bites comes from used to living in an unstable country) things are going down before the first announcements and tried to shovel as much as long-lasting stuff so that we can minimize going out so I got a bit lucky. Flour is still somewhat existent but yeast is like gone from everywhere, as it seems.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
If you have no yeast, do what I did last night and make flatbreads, they're easy

Mix 200g flour and a couple pinches of salt in a bowl, slowly pour and mix in 100ml warm water.

Add a couple teaspoons of oil. I used rapeseed but it probably doesn't matter too much.

Dust your surface and knead for 5 mins, adding a dusting if you feel it getting sticky.

Cut the dough into 4 even chunks and roll into balls.

Roll the balls flat with a pin or if you dont have one (like me) I just glad wrapped a glass and used that.

Use kitchen paper to oil a large pan. You just want a thin film. Put the flatbreads in for a couple of minutes each side and you're done.

Makes 4 flatbreads, I'm probably going to scale it up over the long weekend and make a whole bunch for lunches and snacks. Might get fancy and throw some herbs in

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Torquemada posted:

Annoyingly Tower Hamlets shut Victoria Park, which probably seemed a good idea at the time, but basically forced everyone into all the much smaller green spaces. I just want to walk my dog, I promise I won’t set up a 40 person yoga class.

You live near me by the sound of it, look up Tower Hamlets Cemetery park. You and your dog will love it I think. Just avoid it from 5pm to 6pm, that's when all the WFH types show up and it gets a bit too crowded.

Kitchner posted:

I'm not sure what else I can do with just onions, carrots, and potatoes other than a soup.

Do you have olive oil and herbs? You could bake them Mediterranean style.

blackgreywhite
Apr 7, 2019

and pink.

Kitchner posted:

We're also running out of meat but got some vegetable delivered by the company that normally does my dry cleaning. So I've also made some frankenstein veggie burgers because there's no other way I am eating broccoli and I'm not sure what else I can do with just onions, carrots, and potatoes other than a soup.

If you can afford to use a little of the remaining meat (or have access to a meat substitute) then Shepherd's Pie can be a cheap and easy option.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Kitchner posted:

Man I wish I could make cheese in my flat, we've been out of everything but Italian hard cheese for like a week.

Carrot-Raisin-Orange (juice) "salad", onion jam ,and... mash?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Kitchner posted:

We're also running out of meat but got some vegetable delivered by the company that normally does my dry cleaning.

Wait, what?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kitchner posted:

Broccoli is great wtf

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Boris Johnson is supposedly starting to feel a lot better?

Possibly. If he really was/is dying, him suddenly sitting up and moving around could be that final burst of activity you see before you kick the bucket.

Or he was never in that much trouble to begin with. You can get extra oxygen at home, no problem.

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

el dingo posted:

If you have no yeast, do what I did last night and make flatbreads, they're easy

I made some the other day, and completely agree. Chapatis are also easy if you find gram flour.

I bought about 200g of fresh yeast from the supermarket bakery before everything kicked off and froze it, and had a few kilos of flour anyway - I make pizza every week and bake a couple of loaves.

But sod's law decided to gently caress me, and my oven broke down last week meaning I'm stuck waiting for a new thermal sensor to arrive after pandemic Easter break, probably coming from Germany or China.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Jose posted:

Broccoli is great wtf

Broccoli is great, but loads of people think it is bad because they've only ever had it overcooked. See also: Brussels sprouts

If your broccoli/brussels sprouts have lost any of their greenness or aren't crunchy, then you cooked them too long

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

blanch your green brassicas and then sautee them

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

CheeseThief posted:

Do you have olive oil and herbs? You could bake them Mediterranean style.

To be honest I think part of it is psychological. Vegetables accompany the main bit of the meal, rather than form it. Even when you have something super vegetarian like beetroot "steaks" there's still a clearly defined "this is the main star of the show and this is just the stuff accompanying it".

Maybe there's something I can do with potato, like a rosti.

blackgreywhite posted:

If you can afford to use a little of the remaining meat (or have access to a meat substitute) then Shepherd's Pie can be a cheap and easy option.

Steaks got cut up and thrown into a big pot with a load of veg to make a beef stew (half of it is still left in the fridge. I've got mince meat defrosting in the fridge I was going to use for a ragu but I may make cottage pie (shepherd's is lamb remember!) to utilise the spuds too so that's a good shout.

Shut up Meg posted:

Wait, what?

There's a company called ihateironing and I suspect they are basically Uber but for dry cleaning where they partner with dry cleaners and pay people to pick your poo poo up, take it to a dry cleaner, and bring it back. The only reason I really used them is every walking distance dry cleaner from me is like open 9-5 Monday to Friday and half a day on Saturday.

Since people aren't dry cleaning, they teamed up with a food wholesaler and are selling boxes of food which they have delivered to you. It's like £35 and in the last one I got: milk, butter, bread, eggs, onions, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes, and dried pasta. Expensive really compared to buying it at Asda but as my partner is asthmatic I don't want either of us to leave the house until we are over the peak.

Jose posted:

Broccoli is great wtf

https://youtu.be/JJfejLup_E0

blackgreywhite
Apr 7, 2019

and pink.

Kitchner posted:

Steaks got cut up and thrown into a big pot with a load of veg to make a beef stew (half of it is still left in the fridge. I've got mince meat defrosting in the fridge I was going to use for a ragu but I may make cottage pie (shepherd's is lamb remember!) to utilise the spuds too so that's a good shout.

Yeah, that's right I always forget.
That other idea about a rosti sounds good too. I might try that myself.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
This lockdown is loving great. I'm a shut in nerd anyway and I've just been doing nothing but sit on my rear end and play video games all day everyday for weeks on end. Long may the lockdown continue

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Hammerite posted:

Broccoli is great, but loads of people think it is bad because they've only ever had it overcooked. See also: Brussels sprouts

If your broccoli/brussels sprouts have lost any of their greenness or aren't crunchy, then you cooked them too long

Oh yeah! Any more than three minutes boiled or steamed and you have ruined broccoli. Sprouts work great in a stir fry too. Blanch them and cut them in half down the middle and fry until they have a light brown colour on the inside. Great nutty flavour.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

I thought he was not on a ventilator.

Yeah, he's just been in intensive care for 3 days "as a precaution" lmao

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I prefer roasting for both sprouts and broccoli, cause I’m lazy.

For sprouts: toss whole with olive oil, salt and pepper, then mix in some walnuts and bacon bits.

1/2 an hour on 180c

Then grate on some Parmesan and and a squeeze of fresh lemon wedge or two.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Kitchner posted:

There's a company called ihateironing and I suspect they are basically Uber but for dry cleaning where they partner with dry cleaners and pay people to pick your poo poo up, take it to a dry cleaner, and bring it back. The only reason I really used them is every walking distance dry cleaner from me is like open 9-5 Monday to Friday and half a day on Saturday.

Since people aren't dry cleaning, they teamed up with a food wholesaler and are selling boxes of food which they have delivered to you. It's like £35 and in the last one I got: milk, butter, bread, eggs, onions, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes, and dried pasta. Expensive really compared to buying it at Asda but as my partner is asthmatic I don't want either of us to leave the house until we are over the peak.

My friend has just had two pints of freshly-pulled beer delivered from his local pub.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

CheeseThief posted:

You live near me by the sound of it, look up Tower Hamlets Cemetery park. You and your dog will love it I think.

Ah, fifteen years ago that would have been ideal, I was living on Treby St. I’m on the canal by Mare St, and my dog only has short legs, so getting back would be an issue.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

fridge corn posted:

This lockdown is loving great. I'm a shut in nerd anyway and I've just been doing nothing but sit on my rear end and play video games all day everyday for weeks on end. Long may the lockdown continue

Fuckin A :dance:
I also don’t miss people talking about sport.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Torquemada posted:

Fuckin A :dance:
I also don’t miss people talking about sport.

Sports are good though.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if I lived alone I'd 100% be naked smoking and playing games the whole time, but because I've apparently angered a holy man at some point I've got an apartment with a teething baby and no garden.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

fridge corn posted:

Sports are good though.

Watching and participating, no argument. The only more boring subject of conversation is the weather.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Fellow Tower Hamlets folk - they're reopening Vicky Park on Saturday. We're going for an early walk with the wee one as I suspect people will take the piss and it'll be closed quick smart

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Broccoli is not great. It stinks when you cook it, turns the water green/piss yellow, and is all watery and gross. I still eat it because it’s good for me but I refuse to like it

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
have you tried adding salt?

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

I really should have put suntan lotion on for this Tesco queue

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My garden would be lovely but for the neighbours kids shrieking at each other all day every day.

I've got a deckchair out there and it's merely okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Amphigory posted:

Fellow Tower Hamlets folk - they're reopening Vicky Park on Saturday. We're going for an early walk with the wee one as I suspect people will take the piss and it'll be closed quick smart

Good news, and good plan. Hella early is the way to go.