Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The podcast I strictly absorb through the Woolie highlight videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Actually if there's anything that does make it hard to listen to sometimes it's that Woolie won't stop sniffing right into the mic. I'm pretty sure it's him doing it. poo poo's gross.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dabir posted:

Actually if there's anything that does make it hard to listen to sometimes it's that Woolie won't stop sniffing right into the mic. I'm pretty sure it's him doing it. poo poo's gross.

That's been Pat, why would woolie sniff....

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Woolie isn't a cokefiend unlike certain people

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tae posted:

That's been Pat, why would woolie sniff....

cause he has a cold? idk I'm sure i heard it happen while Pat was talking

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Pat on coke would probably go into spontaneous combustion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He'd vibrate clear through the floor.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Would probably give birth to Crazy Talk Requiem though, so that'd be a plus. :v:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Speaking of Pat,

https://youtu.be/hRmpz7_ytQ0

We got a royal stream

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Dabir posted:

Woolie is bad about that, yeah. Lotta mouth smacks into the mic, too. On a related note, it was a Paige stream where I learned about misophonia from someone in the chat. Didn't know having a strong reaction to folks eating into the mic was an actual disorder until then.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol I love these loving dorks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIXLAOQYRD4&hd=1

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ok but really they're cowards if they don't actually do a greenscreen shitpost version of the intro

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
They're not even trying to keep the podcast under five hours anymore, are they?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

A good poster posted:

They're not even trying to keep the podcast under five hours anymore, are they?

They said that bit was over two podcasts ago, yes (in the one after the 4:59:59 one).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Spoilers for WoolieVS Dokapon Kingdom Salt Party Extravaganza (if you arent watching the stream): One, and then several, viewers have now donated money to go to the winner of the story mode game. This is now the Blood Pool and poo poo is now realerer :kheldragar:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Also yeah the Nier Automata LP just didn't work for me, I watched more and more of it over time, gave it more chances, but Woolie being blind even with someone trying to guide him some, Liam doing the "I can't wait for this next part" thing a lot, Liam sandbagging really good sidequests,

This was my disappointment with the Demon's Souls LP. Their Dark Souls LPs were fantastic and were what finally got me over the hurdle to re-launch Dark Souls 1 after dropping out of it and then finish the series- Except for DeS. I was going to just skip that one and watch their LP, but I lost interest because it's impossible to see the actual game, and there were too many commentators that included uninterested Matt, "Now Woolie, in this next part," Liam, and the third guy on call kind of doing the same as Liam. I didn't watch much of that one.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Apr 8, 2020

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

God, yeah German Spy sucked so much of the fun out of that playthrough, the dude didn't have a funny bone in his body, would spoil every single thing and didn't lead Woolie so much as yank him through it by the hand.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yardbomb posted:

God, yeah German Spy sucked so much of the fun out of that playthrough, the dude didn't have a funny bone in his body, would spoil every single thing and didn't lead Woolie so much as yank him through it by the hand.

I remember him making some loving weird-rear end refugee joke that the boys all rightfully sandbagged

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he was the equivalent of having the wiki open while you played except it yelled at you forever

i think it's for the best they rarely had guests for LPs even if most of the podcast guests worked out really well

i was about to say that guy cihi on the cast was legendary but when i did a search to try to find a clip to listen to it again apparently guy cihi's a piece of poo poo 'now' because of course

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Yardbomb posted:

I didn't watch the Nier LP (mostly because I do want to play it myself at some point), but I really do appreciate how Little V is guiding Woolie in the KOTOR 2 LP. Enough to get Woolie to where he wants to go, but also gives him enough space to still enjoy the game, plus there's the bonus that Woolie and James have great chemistry together.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

He called out Plague when he wanted to poo poo on some minor thing for no reason, and justified his presence imo

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Shinji2015 posted:

I didn't watch the Nier LP (mostly because I do want to play it myself at some point), but I really do appreciate how Little V is guiding Woolie in the KOTOR 2 LP. Enough to get Woolie to where he wants to go, but also gives him enough space to still enjoy the game, plus there's the bonus that Woolie and James have great chemistry together.

Absolutely, that's becoming the perfect example of how to do that type of LP with Woolie.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Patware posted:

he was the equivalent of having the wiki open while you played except it yelled at you forever

i think it's for the best they rarely had guests for LPs even if most of the podcast guests worked out really well

i was about to say that guy cihi on the cast was legendary but when i did a search to try to find a clip to listen to it again apparently guy cihi's a piece of poo poo 'now' because of course

He was a full piece of poo poo even before he went full QAnon. There's a reason the guy's clearer plateaued at Silent Hill 2, especially when he started threatening to sue Konami because they promised him a piece of every SH2 sale (they didn't)

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
That hour-long video on Woolie's Youtube channel just titled "Woolie" is all arguing about his refusal to learn WASD controls? I think I want to see a Gun To Your Head video where they sit him in front of GZDoom and don't let him leave until he finishes E1M1 with a mouse and keyboard.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Woolie's WASD rant only got annoying when he started doing the Boomer thing of preferring to self-own and make up bullshit. When he was like "It's hard because I'm in my thirties and never really used it. It's also just uncomfortable," it was perfectly understandable. But when he's going "If you use WASD, your hands will miss the keys they're supposed to be on, and you'll die constantly!" or the "I'm just literally the one person too stupid to understand it," is when he reminded me of doing family tech support. It brought back the frustration of standing over my mother who preferred to print out a screen cap and slowly copy the page URL letter-by-letter to send a page link by e-mail instead of just copy-pasting it, then giving tons of dumb reasons to defend herself.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 8, 2020

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I don't really get why people still complain about Woolie using the controller-mouse combo. There is literally no advantage for him to gain in using a keyboard instead. The podcast discussion consisted mostly of Pat repeating that it's crazy to do and not being able to argue against it anyways.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just can't wrap my head around how it works.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Woolie's hybrid set up for Black Mesa is insane but I don't see why people get so twisted up over it. It's not hurting you any and he seems to be doing ok with it. It was a hard listen this podcast, because Pat will never just let a thing go. He'll just push and push on it until they get genuinely angry. Follow that with a really long, boring introspection on why they do the things they do. The games, news, and industry talk is so much better than that bloat.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

It's because PC gamer types are really obsessed with the idea that PC + KB&M is "objectively" the best way to play games.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think the hybrid setup is genius. sort of a wiimote + nunchuk level of comfort but with more precision

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Pretty much the only point that actually exists in that argument is that mouse control is better for shooters - if you're used to using a mouse

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
The real insanity is he was saying the keyboard wasn't comfortable (because the angle was bad before with it in his lap) but he now has The Cube which is a direct solution to that problem and he's refusing to re-evaluate how comfortable it'd be. Also he won't just admit that he can't touch-type and that's why he's missing keys. Hybrid setup is fine, for Black Mesa apparently, but Pat was saying it usually isn't for other games and that got talked over and dropped. It doesn't really matter, it's just a little weird, and the way he got to the conclusion was stubborn as gently caress.

Also my main problem with his not-really-sealioning-at-all isn't that it seems like an excuse, it's that it often wastes so much time. I felt bad that it got addressed as it did and seemed to bum him out though. The chat calling him out with "you're doing it now" reminded me of years ago when my boss told me I was being too defensive at work and I tried to argue that I wasn't and proved his point.

Archenteron posted:

Spoilers for WoolieVS Dokapon Kingdom Salt Party Extravaganza (if you arent watching the stream): One, and then several, viewers have now donated money to go to the winner of the story mode game. This is now the Blood Pool and poo poo is now realerer :kheldragar:

Guess I need to start watching that LP.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Meanwhile, Woolie is on hour 40 of KOTOR 2 while still on the 1st of 4 jedi planets.

howlongtobeat says it takes 93 hours to beat

(if you literally do everything at a brisk pace)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think the hybrid has its upsides and its downsides. When you're moving in a 3d space, an analogue stick does make the most sense with an asterisk, and when you need to aim you want as much precision as possible. I've done it myself in Hitman when I get bored and decide to start a shootout, popping in and out of cover so the controller's autoaim can line you up on heads gets tiring and time-consuming. Even then, I wouldn't generally use it because you're giving up so many controller buttons. It's probably doable if you remap the keyboard controls and put more of them on mouse buttons and stuff, to be fair. Obviously Black Mesa doesn't have that many buttons, so Woolie's doing fine with the hybrid, if it's working for him that's great.

HOWEVER.

I think using an analogue stick to move at all in first person is bonkers, and I have a reason why. When you're moving in third person, your character generally moves and faces in the direction of the stick. There's exceptions but that's the general rule. It's one input, it does one thing. In first person, your movement and facing is always independent, moving forwards, moving backwards, strafing left and right are not the same action, they're four different but related actions, they get four buttons next to each other. That's just what feels right to me, and it's probably informed by having basically grown up without any kind of console in the house so having to get into PC games and play them with the keyboard. Something like HL2 or TF2 feels perfectly natural, something like Sonic Heroes is deeply uncomfortable on keyboard.

Also Pat is completely right about the more general point of Woolie approaching something, being told the best way and deciding no, he's going to do it The Woolie Way. I could see it coming when they were talking about Doom Eternal a few weeks ago, there's been so much talk about how the game is designed with a laser focus on forcing you to switch weapons and Woolie's big question is "OK, but when I played Doom 2016 I LIVED in Siege Mode" with an implied "and I'm going to be unhappy if I can't do that poo poo again". I hope, if he does play it, that Pat's explanation headed that off at the pass, otherwise that LP is going to be miserable.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's a good thing woolie is really funny and has great chemistry with reggie because i think he's really bad at anything in a video game that doesn't involve beating an enemy

if i was watching the black mesa lp for anything other than them being funny i would've had a stroke when woolie had the sample rise up in the dead center of his screen in ep 1 and then didn't notice it until he died because he walked right into the obvious death beam

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tae posted:

Meanwhile, Woolie is on hour 40 of KOTOR 2 while still on the 1st of 4 jedi planets.

howlongtobeat says it takes 93 hours to beat

(if you literally do everything at a brisk pace)

That sounds right. I remember the opening space station felt like it went on forever (in good and bad ways).

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's only really an issue for Black Mesa because it's not designed for a gamepad at all. There's no aim assist or anything to help compensate.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Brightman posted:

Also my main problem with his not-really-sealioning-at-all isn't that it seems like an excuse, it's that it often wastes so much time.
Yeah, this. We all know you're not going to change, so spare us the dog and pony show. All the extra blather just makes you look like what an idiot thinks a smart person is like.

Dabir posted:

Also Pat is completely right about the more general point of Woolie approaching something, being told the best way and deciding no, he's going to do it The Woolie Way.
Woolie really, really, really, wants to be The Cool Guy. When that part of him combines with his stubbornness, boundless tragicomedy ensues.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Patware posted:

it's a good thing woolie is really funny and has great chemistry with reggie because i think he's really bad at anything in a video game that doesn't involve beating an enemy

if i was watching the black mesa lp for anything other than them being funny i would've had a stroke when woolie had the sample rise up in the dead center of his screen in ep 1 and then didn't notice it until he died because he walked right into the obvious death beam

Only ten people are allowed to be ok at video games at a time on youtube. Everyone else is gamegrumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RareAcumen posted:

Only ten people are allowed to be ok at video games at a time on youtube. Everyone else is gamegrumps.

Are the Game Grumps still completely terrible at everything? I haven't watched them since the Jontron days when they played Naughty Bear, ignored all the tutorials, and then complained they had no idea what to do. :argh: