Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I thought the same thing so I went back to check and that’s literally what happens

From the same arc where everyone comes together to coddle Dominic Deegan otherwise the whole world will crumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

As bad as this new comic is, holy poo poo it's SO much cringier with dialogue. (Well, frequent dialogue.) Mookie is a bad artist but he's a HORRIBLE writer.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yeah as someone who joined this thread without having read/witnessed Dominic Deegan I’m amazed how much worse these pages of it are than the already execrable Legacy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

These aren’t even the lowlights,

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah as someone who joined this thread without having read/witnessed Dominic Deegan I’m amazed how much worse these pages of it are than the already execrable Legacy.

Read Dominic Deegan.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Ague Proof posted:

Read Dominic Deegan.

What if I love myself, though? Not enough to stop reading this thread, but, enough not to do THAT.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

Read Dominic Deegan.

Encouraging others to self harm is not cool.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zerilan posted:

I would think you're bullshitting if I didn't vaguely remember it.

This feeling is precisely the real legacy of Dominic Deegan.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Yeah, neither of those strips have Greg so they're not even close to bottom of the barrel character writing by the series standard.

Also they don't have Jayden or Snowsong or rear end-in-air-corpse woman so they aren't even close to the worst example of the comic's treatment or women.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Or the D codpiece.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ague Proof posted:

Read Dominic Deegan.

I tried and I got like a week of strips in before giving up, Mookie's writing is intolerable.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I have said it before in the old threads and I stand by it; I sincerely believe without joking or hyperbole that Dominic Deegan is quite probably the nadir of Human creative endeavor.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I can think of many things comprehensively worse, but all of them are shorter.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I tried and I got like a week of strips in before giving up, Mookie's writing is intolerable.

And the start of it is probably the "bright" point, before he starts trying to make it more serious.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

Regalingualius posted:

Or the D codpiece.

Or the 'heroic' rapist.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Zerilan posted:

iirc she apologizes for it so profusely too as if she had written it herself

Yeah, she does because she is a doormat.

The Little Death posted:

In point of fact she buys him like a collected omnibus of his favorite heman type "action book", and only on the last page is an ad for a rebooted series that's all gritty 90's. This causes Dominic sadness (the last page that is) and then Luna rants for 8 panels about how thoughtless she was not to read every goddamn page of the comic to make sure it didn't harm Dominic's fragile constitution.
Shoot, you're right.

TheHan posted:

I thought the same thing so I went back to check and that’s literally what happens
From the same arc where everyone comes together to coddle Dominic Deegan otherwise the whole world will crumble.
Great job finding the comic. Is there some kind of engine for it? I usually don't bother to look for specific page references because the comic's 3000 pages long and life is too short.

It's somehow worse than that. They were worried Dominic would experience "mindbreak," which meant he'd get too frustrated from having to do his job as a superhero due to the stress it caused him and he'd go crazy and kill everyone with his mind powers, so his friends had to walk on eggshells, bake him cookies, pat him on the back (well, more than normal, anyway.) Typical good guy stuff. Like the "Twilight Zone" ep with the cornfield kid.

Dynamite edit.

Joe Slowboat posted:

What if I love myself, though? Not enough to stop reading this thread, but, enough not to do THAT.

Read the old mock threads. They're a lot of fun.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I keep waiting for the next Jazz Hands type meme to come from this comic.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I have said it before in the old threads and I stand by it; I sincerely believe without joking or hyperbole that Dominic Deegan is quite probably the nadir of Human creative endeavor.

If years of reading the other webcomics thread has taught me anything: There’s always more, and it’s always worse.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ague Proof posted:

Read Dominic Deegan.

I would seriously only do that vicariously through the original mock thread(s?), it's the only way DD could be tolerable

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Original Dominic Deegan was much worse written than this, but not as boring. It also had some classic mock highs.

Legacy is so dull.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Dominic Deegan is pretty much the worst written anything I've ever read. Comic, book, movie, audio play, video game, RPG, appliance instruction manual, etc.

I've probably seen worse art somewhere but as a story I can't think of a bigger failure.

This isn't as bad, yet, but that may just be because it's moving at such a glacial pace. That "cuddling" sequence, though. Man.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
This whole cuddling sequence gives me hope that Mookie hasn’t learned anything and will start uncontrollably writing his every thought into the comic. The most interesting moments in OG DD were when he just went all out with none of the shame that makes most creators hold back on their terrible ideas of fetishes.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Falconer posted:

Or the 'heroic' rapist.

Stonewater is the Joe Biden of Deegan.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

super sweet best pal posted:

Stonewater is the Joe Biden of Deegan.

"Look if you're critical about any of my policies, go vote for King David Johann."

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Joe gave the eulogy at Siegfried's dad's funeral.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Ague Proof posted:

Joe gave the eulogy at Siegfried's dad's funeral.

Someone impersonating Joe reading the speech verbatim while next to a portrait of Dance Commander next to his lynching tree like Chevy Chase reading Reagan's eulogy for I want to say Pinochet saluting next to Hitler

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

There's a lot of classic Deegan moment, haha.

My favorite will always been the one where Milov finds out his priestess girlfriend is a large breasted whore and immediately afterwards tears her throat open in a psychopathic blood rage. Luckily it was just an illusion so mookie drawing it wasn't weird it creepy at all!

Classic Mookie.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I always wanted to be the Big Dog.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

What? We do. They were called "action books" because Mookie is a dweeb. Greg drew doujins of himself as "Supergreg." In a different arc, Luna gives Dominic an issue of some superhero he likes, but the character had been rebooted as an edgy 90s antihero so it was a bad gift actually because women can't do anything right in deeganland due to their inferior lady brains.

Don't worry about it, I was just amazed and horrified at your Deegan lore knowledge.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It's embedded in our memory.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Little Death posted:

There's a lot of classic Deegan moment, haha.

My favorite will always been the one where Milov finds out his priestess girlfriend is a large breasted whore and immediately afterwards tears her throat open in a psychopathic blood rage. Luckily it was just an illusion so mookie drawing it wasn't weird it creepy at all!

Classic Mookie.

The illusion died with its rear end in the air and blood all over its tiddies. The real Jayden, who was standing 5 feet away, was of course completely okay with this, and actually apologized to Milov for loving the filthy JOCK Siegfried in the first place rather than draw attention to how apparently he would've killed her.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

My favorite was when Mom Deegan was trying to use some magic gauntlet thing to heal Dominic's friend who was gay and a creepy murderer/hedonist/Marquis de Sade type but who totally turned his life around by the Power Of Deegan after the Token Brown Guy murdered his wife, and Gay Friend was so appalled she was going to heal him with the Infernomancer gauntlet that he sliced it off of her arm and hosed her up good, and nobody brought this up, just praised him for being so resilient to not want to use evil magic to heal his wounds.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

...I want to believe these descriptions can’t be real, and yet I know in my heart that Mookie is at least that un-self-aware.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
It’s not as damning as the girlfriend murder but while trying to find Luna whining about comic books I found Class Action to be peak Mookie. It’s horny everywhere, has the cool nerds beating on the dumb jocks and has Melna say she’s in love with loving Stonewater.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

TheHan posted:

It’s not as damning as the girlfriend murder but while trying to find Luna whining about comic books I found Class Action to be peak Mookie. It’s horny everywhere, has the cool nerds beating on the dumb jocks and has Melna say she’s in love with loving Stonewater.

Because he, her rapist who raped her when she was a minor, reminded her of her father. Who had been murdered in front of her, along with her mother, immediately before said rape.

:shepface:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

TheHan posted:

Joe Slowboat I want you to know that Stonewater is a greenskinned magical native american and his name means he has ice powers. That's a big reveal. After it's revealed that he's a rapist iirc.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

The Little Death posted:

Joe Slowboat I want you to know that Stonewater is a greenskinned magical native american and his name means he has ice powers. That's a big reveal. After it's revealed that he's a rapist iirc.

Is this the infamous jazzhands rapist, or another rapist?

(I think I first learned about Dominic Deegan during the Strong Female Protagonist thread's final evolution into pure mock and horror.)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Fuego Fish posted:

Because he, her rapist who raped her when she was a minor, reminded her of her father. Who had been murdered in front of her, along with her mother, immediately before said rape.

:shepface:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he also a minor? Everything about that scene is horrible but I dimly remember interpreting it as a situation where he was also raped-by-proxy in being forced to have sex with her or she'd be killed, but Mookie's so tone-deaf it's treated as a heroic thing he did instead of something deeply hosed up that doesn't even make a ton of situational sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The comic is somehow worse than I remember it.

There are some very disturbing treatment of sex and women here. I'm glad that's over :shepface:

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 9, 2020