Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I know how to automate LE. Cert rollout is already automated just fine for all services that need one. It's not like this is hard.

I am definitely not ditching DFN CA on permanent services, though.

Also, lol "OPEX".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I used this blog post to convince my boss that we don't need EV certs anymore. Thanks.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A happy story

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Rumor mill is that a chunk of the IT department at my hospital just got furloughed. I have to depend on the rumor mill because my leadership is ineffective in all aspects.

I'm in a hybrid role with nursing informatics, and the newest guy on the team. My spider senses are tingling...

:yotj:

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I love the requirement that everyone on help desk needs to close a minimum of 20 tickets a day per person even if there are not enough tickets a day to meet that requirement.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Open ticket:

Problem: No tickets are currently visible in queue.

Resolution: Noticed this ticket in queue. Closed it.

Wash.Rinse.Repeat.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Hughmoris posted:

Rumor mill is that a chunk of the IT department at my hospital just got furloughed. I have to depend on the rumor mill because my leadership is ineffective in all aspects.

I'm in a hybrid role with nursing informatics, and the newest guy on the team. My spider senses are tingling...

:yotj:

It turns out that for profit health care is having issues right now. I know because I have first hand knowledge of it with my own org. I can say my org is talking about doing the same thing.

When revenue declines, the payout order usually go like Board/Investors/C-levels, then into employee pay, then into anything else. If there isn't enough to pay all of that, employees and operational expenses get the shortfall. I feel like execs will turn off the lights before and disband the company before paying themselves any penny less during hard times.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Sickening posted:

feel like execs will turn off the lights before and disband the company before paying themselves any penny less during hard times.

you can make a profit going bankrupt

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sickening posted:

It turns out that for profit health care is having issues right now. I know because I have first hand knowledge of it with my own org. I can say my org is talking about doing the same thing.

When revenue declines, the payout order usually go like Board/Investors/C-levels, then into employee pay, then into anything else. If there isn't enough to pay all of that, employees and operational expenses get the shortfall. I feel like execs will turn off the lights before and disband the company before paying themselves any penny less during hard times.

Yep. Hospitals are going to be in a pickle for some time to come. All of their money-making procedures are canceled, and who knows how insurances will pay out for covid treatment. Whatever it is won't be enough to fill the gap from not performing elective procedures. I see this being the reality for many months to come.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Yep. Hospitals are going to be in a pickle for some time to come. All of their money-making procedures are canceled, and who knows how insurances will pay out for covid treatment. Whatever it is won't be enough to fill the gap from not performing elective procedures. I see this being the reality for many months to come.

Lots more than just electives are being put on hold. People losing their insurance means even the more serious stuff isn't being taken care of. The good news (and bad news) is that there is only so long you can delay this kind of stuff. People who could delay serious surgery are but eventually their health is going to decline to the point they are forced to have to come back. Same thing for the lesser issues. This means that there will be a point where this is going to pick back up, virus or not, and put people more at risk than they would have been if they just got it done before.

Telehealth was starting to be big business before, but gently caress if it isn't going to be huge business after. My company has figured out that it can see a million patients if they don't have to worry about driving in to a hospital or clinic. Your doctor and/or nurses can see you, prescribe you what you need, and charge the insurance company like they would a full visit. The amount of patients you can see in a day is now MUCh higher than before.

This is made possible right now because regulations on these kind of things have been temporarily relaxed because of the virus. I don't see this ever going back. This will be the new norm. Shits crazy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One of my bosses is perturbed that Spectrum has given us a circuit delivery date at the end of July. He is demanding that I expedite it. I told him that I could sacrifice a goat but that I didn't know how to code it on my expense report.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

bull3964 posted:

Open ticket:

Problem: No tickets are currently visible in queue.

Resolution: Noticed this ticket in queue. Closed it.

Wash.Rinse.Repeat.

This is both my greatest desire and worst fear.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone know if you can use Group Policy Preferences to edit sections of XML like you can do with INI files? Some quick Googling seems to not be bringing up much on it, which makes me think the answer is no, but you all are smart. Otherwise, I guess a PowerShell script it is.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I know I'm a few pages late but you guys talking about how much you like AWS ACM obviously haven't tried to use it with thousands of certs in each region. We interact with it exclusively through either terraform or own home rolled tools, but it's unusable through the console. The console gets rate limited and can't load all the certs, you can't search them at all, the sorting is janky, it jumps from 300 total certs to 2200 to 700. Overall it's still a great service but it's always funny when someone who isn't on the ops team tries to find a specific cert through the console.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BallerBallerDillz posted:

I know I'm a few pages late but you guys talking about how much you like AWS ACM obviously haven't tried to use it with thousands of certs in each region. We interact with it exclusively through either terraform or own home rolled tools, but it's unusable through the console. The console gets rate limited and can't load all the certs, you can't search them at all, the sorting is janky, it jumps from 300 total certs to 2200 to 700. Overall it's still a great service but it's always funny when someone who isn't on the ops team tries to find a specific cert through the console.

That is hilarious. How many certs do you have? Why not use wildcards? Do you have enterprise support?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

BallerBallerDillz posted:

That’s not ACM, that’s the AWS console.

The console getting throttled has been a time honored tradition forever, be it certs or EC2 instances or cloudformation stacks or beanstalk applications.

Troubleshooting AWS throttling itself is a different beast than troubleshooting service-related issues.

Have you opened a support case to bitch about this? Has the CSE run an analysis of requests at the time and determined that the console is being throttled due to GET requests?

[Also, don’t use the console if you have hundreds of anything in a given service. Roll your own monitor using the CLI. I know it’s bitch but it’s a known cost of doing business on AWS.]

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Can't figure out if making a career change to IT in the current climate is a great idea or the worst idea.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

FCKGW posted:

Can't figure out if making a career change to IT in the current climate is a great idea or the worst idea.

The cloud has killed your job. You're too late.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Here lies your job

peperony and chease

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Now's probably not the best time to be a new employee anywhere unless it's an extraordinary opportunity, but if your existing job has gone away there's no downside.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Methanar posted:

The cloud has killed your job. You're too late.

On the upside, with all the reduced pollution from people working from home, we can finally see our files in the cloud.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

One of my bosses is perturbed that Spectrum has given us a circuit delivery date at the end of July. He is demanding that I expedite it. I told him that I could sacrifice a goat but that I didn't know how to code it on my expense report.

I had this issue as well.. The boss was convinced I just wasn't trying hard enough. So he decided to take it upon himself. He got even less response out of them than I did, and later apologized.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sickening posted:

People who could delay serious surgery are but eventually their health is going to decline to the point they are forced to have to come back.
many won't

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

We are already seeing an uptick scheduled for this week and the week after. :iiam:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Comcast gave me a $75 credit for my business internet running like poo poo for the last four weeks. They tried to sell me the “we consider this issue closed now” line.

Thanks for giving me back some of the money I already gave you for a solid internet connection, but this isn’t over until you get me zero packet loss. So I’ll take your credit and an escalation to your manager.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Agrikk posted:

Comcast gave me a $75 credit for my business internet running like poo poo for the last four weeks. They tried to sell me the “we consider this issue closed now” line.

Thanks for giving me back some of the money I already gave you for a solid internet connection, but this isn’t over until you get me zero packet loss. So I’ll take your credit and an escalation to your manager.

My boyfriend just cancelled his home Comcast yesterday, he's realized his phone data tethering is somehow a more reliable connection.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Zero VGS posted:

My boyfriend just cancelled his home Comcast yesterday, he's realized his phone data tethering is somehow a more reliable connection.

I'm kinda surprised you haven't presented him with a box of 20 cell phones from ebay all somehow simultaneously tethered to an old Dell server running PFsense.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I mean, he didn't say he didn't do that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I know it's a weird flex but I think I might spend a chunk of my tax return on some more studio gear.
With all this WFH skype meetings it's kind of nice to have people oogle my gear.

"Ohhhh that's a really nice mic. Your office looks like a studio!" :3:

Then again... walls would also be acceptable.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I know it's a weird flex but I think I might spend a chunk of my tax return on some more studio gear.
With all this WFH skype meetings it's kind of nice to have people oogle my gear.

"Ohhhh that's a really nice mic. Your office looks like a studio!" :3:

Then again... walls would also be acceptable.

Some sql consultants we have meetings with occasionally have this kind of setup. It makes it look like he’s running a radio show or streaming Tarkov when he’s not fixing our lovely queries.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Getting a good audio setup is key. While everyone sounds tinny and terrible you can sound authoritatively bassy and full.

Unrelated: Scaleway just deprecated their ARM offerings. Guess what I'm using.

quote:

Starting from April 16th, 2020, it is no longer possible to create new C2 and ARM64 Instances. In addition, their support will end on July 1st, 2020. As a result, our technical assistance will no longer address issues related to those instances. A price increase is also to be expected on July 1st, 2020. Lastly, C2 and ARM64 Instances will be completely deprovisioned as of December 1st, 2020.

Luckily I don't depend on the arch but I've been using them for my authoritative DNS servers and XMPP…

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Our entire hospital system's VPN is down at the moment, 10s of thousands of users can't connect.

I laugh and say it's probably DNS in our tech email, I join in the Critical Incident teams chat and see

The Critical message is:

Reached maximum failures querying DNS server 172.24.235.142

It actually IS DNS lol

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
a thing that i've noticed is how many calls i get about "my laptop says it can't find my camera or microphone!" when they're trying to connect to a teams or zoom call over RDP

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

stevewm posted:

I had this issue as well.. The boss was convinced I just wasn't trying hard enough. So he decided to take it upon himself. He got even less response out of them than I did, and later apologized.

Dude, you got a boss that actually apologizes when he is wrong. Buy him a beer or something. Mine will hint that he might be wrong but still act and treat you like you were.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Oh my god I love Excel.

I just managed to turn a lovely list of just "phone numbers" and "firstname,lastname" spit out from verizon into a full loving Duo-ready .csv import including proper emails and usernames and everything in probably less time than it took me to write this post.

Meanwhile my boss was still working on trying to figure out how to find all the phone numbers of everyone so that he could divvy up the list and make everyone spend all day manually entering phone numbers into our Duo portal.
No loving way I was gonna let that happen.

e: also, thank you Duo for actually having decent and easy to read/search documentation
https://duo.com/docs/importing-users

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 14, 2020

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Agrikk posted:

I know it's a dick move, but they put the name and title for the customer service VP on the website. The two times I had major issues (home service side) I just told them I needed to talk to that guy. The rep got real uncomfortable and transferred me to a retention agent who escalated it.

The first time a tech cut my line because he didn't test which line was which, the second time the lovely job of burying the cable degraded it beyond use. Two different states, even.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Alarbus posted:

I know it's a dick move, but they put the name and title for the customer service VP on the website.

Holy poo poo! How did I not know this? I’m putting that guy on speed dial.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
This works for a lot of companies. My local Apple store were dicking me around about a hard drive replacement so I emailed tim@apple.com or whatever Google told me his email was. I know Tom Cook does not answer or even look at it but in 2 hours I had a rep call and tell me to go to the Apple store that afternoon and "poof" it was all fixed. Works for jeff.bezos@amazon.com too.

Just don't be a dick and don't lie and you'll usually get some attention on your issue.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

mattfl posted:

Our entire hospital system's VPN is down at the moment, 10s of thousands of users can't connect.

I laugh and say it's probably DNS in our tech email, I join in the Critical Incident teams chat and see

The Critical message is:

Reached maximum failures querying DNS server 172.24.235.142

It actually IS DNS lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bonzo posted:

This works for a lot of companies. My local Apple store were dicking me around about a hard drive replacement so I emailed tim@apple.com or whatever Google told me his email was. I know Tom Cook does not answer or even look at it but in 2 hours I had a rep call and tell me to go to the Apple store that afternoon and "poof" it was all fixed. Works for jeff.bezos@amazon.com too.

Just don't be a dick and don't lie and you'll usually get some attention on your issue.

The few times someone has emailed my company's CEO a out some issue they were having with us it's been an extreme "omg all hands on deck handle this now now now" deal. It is especially smugly satisfying to reply back that "no, we cannot do what you've asked because it is literally against the law for us to do so", but the times it wasn't, it was handled quickly and quietly.