Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Begemot posted:

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how all the classes play differently with the new battle system. Especially ones that are really different like Duran's light side getting shields or Carlie's necromancer class that summons monsters to fight for you.

i think shields were bugged so they literally didn't do anything in the snes game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StrixNebulosa posted:

Batman Arkham Asylum: oh! It's Shadow of Mordor combat, but earlier. I like that combat, so this is awesome. I almost wish the atmosphere weren't so World of Darkness-flavored gothic grunge, but it's executed so well I can't be mad. This entire asylum is hosed up and I love love love it. Obligatory shoutout to how good the VAs are, as of course they are. :allears:

Bonus: I especially enjoyed the camera's lingering shot on batman's package before it drifted up to linger over his perfect pecs

It's a great game, but based on your post history of liking Ubisoft style open world games I think you are going to adore City (and maybe Knight too).

If I had some more free time I think I'd play through them again too. They are all fantastic games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Obligatory shoutout to how good the VAs are, as of course they are. :allears:

Just in case you didn't already know, a lot of them are vets from the old animated series like Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill.

Mark's especially great, it'd be neat to see him in something else.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It's a great game, but based on your post history of liking Ubisoft style open world games I think you are going to adore City (and maybe Knight too).

If I had some more free time I think I'd play through them again too. They are all fantastic games.

I suspect I will, but until then aaa it's so good to see Asylum. I seriously enjoyed reading both of the major Batman comics set in Arkham - the one about the "normal guy" who gets sent there and after a series of events becomes as mad as everyone else there - and the Grant Morrison one with the absolutely wild art.

Back in the day I used to devour Batman comics and the Animated cartoon, then I stopped and I really didn't like any of the modern Batman movies so I've been on the outs with Bats... but god if this game isn't a giant dose of nostalgia.

Hwurmp posted:

Just in case you didn't already know, a lot of them are vets from the old animated series like Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill.

Yeah, I know. Mark Hamill is a genius, and he didn't do half bad at being that Luke Skywalker guy either.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Hwurmp posted:

he was your friend with a very similar voice in darksiders

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Xtanstic posted:

If I want a fun Tycoon game, should I grab Megaquarium or Two Point Hospital? Leaning towards the latter.
Yes.

More helpful answer, Megaquariam if you want to pure bliss of spreadsheet analyzing fish to find the best tank combos, Two Point Hospital if you want the sort of antagonistic tycoon where your customers are enemies to wring money out of and make leave by processing in a sequence of rooms you've added.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Batman Arkham Asylum: oh! It's Shadow of Mordor combat, but earlier. I like that combat, so this is awesome.

Asylum was literally the game that popularized "freeflow combat" as they called it, a lot of games from Shadow of Mordor to Sleeping Dogs to Spider-Man largely trace their combat back to Arkham Asylum. "Batman combat" was to action game combat systems a lot like what Dark Souls' bonfires have been to "soulslike" checkpoint progression systems.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 9, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kanfy posted:

Asylum was literally the game that popularized "freeflow combat" as they called it, a lot of games from Shadow of Mordor to Sleeping Dogs to Spider-Man largely trace their combat back to Arkham Asylum. "Batman combat" was to action game combat systems a lot like Dark Souls' bonfires have been to "soulslike" checkpoint systems.

Do you know if it was the first?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kanfy posted:

Asylum was literally the game that popularized "freeflow combat" as they called it, a lot of games from Shadow of Mordor to Sleeping Dogs to Spider-Man largely trace their combat back to Arkham Asylum. "Batman combat" was to action game combat systems a lot like Dark Souls' bonfires have been to "soulslike" checkpoint systems.
Hell, not even just largely, but practically completely. Freeform combat, flipping between targets, in-combat gimmicks and abilities powered by a combo meter, knocking out or killing downed enemies to take them out of the fight permanently? It's Arkham Asylum combat to a T. And it's good they copied it, because it just works really, really well for cinematic, cool-looking and dynamic group combat.

Mordja posted:

It's an adaptation of the kind of counter-based combat that was pioneered by Assassin's Creed, I think. They share too many mechanics for it to be coincidence.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 9, 2020

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mordja posted:

i can almost guarantee it was. i think assassin's creed brotherhood was the first copycat that wasn't literally straight up the same combat engine (shadow of mordor)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mordja posted:

Cowcaster posted:

i can almost guarantee it was. i think assassin's creed brotherhood was the first copycat that wasn't literally straight up the same combat engine (shadow of mordor)

Prince of Persia Sands of Time did most of what Arkham did a whole console generation earlier. :colbert:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The best part of Arkham City is right at the start some jerk is getting beaten up and you have to intervene to save him. But you can just stand there and let him get wailed on for as long as you like.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Prince of Persia Sands of Time did most of what Arkham did a whole console generation earlier. :colbert:

i guess that's fair

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Batman got all the credit when they really just took PoP and rear end Creed combat and sign posted everything at default dificulty instead of relying on animation tells.

E. I don't mean that against it, if you think the sign posts are great Batman is your patient zero.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mordja posted:

If it wasn’t the first then it was certainly the one that popularized it for the rest of the big game makers. Like how Gears of War looked at the cover shooting in a smaller game called Kill Switch, how it was way faster than the cover shooting in games before it, and copied it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Batman took early rear end Creed combat and made it not clunky.

Also gave you the ability to do DDTs.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Arkham Asylum really honed that style of combat with the combo meter and the way you get quicker and quicker (and get greater range) as you build it, until you're a thug-seeking missile flying across the arena with every bottom press.

Assassin's Creed was a 100% defensive game for me (at least in its first few outings). Counters were just so powerful that hanging back and countering hits was the best way to play. The pressure to keep Batman's combo meter alive meant you had to be more aggressive and throw in counters as needed. It seems like a small change but it makes a significant difference to how you approach combat.

I might be getting an Elite 2 controller. I'm more time poor than anything right now so my justification is that I'm making my limited gaming time as good as possible.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The sign posting wasn't a bad thing especially compared to what happens in rear end Creed 1, where everyone thinks you have to parry to do any damage because the animation for a good damaging hit is... A block. Just whale on the dudes, you only need to worry about animation priority to block other guys or punish counters from the whale-ee.

Woe upon you if you don't learn blocks are actually damaging results by the time you get to the rear end Creed Knight gauntlet.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oh that person was me. I don't remember much about AC1 other than it having a great idea that was let down by repetitive missions.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

zedprime posted:

The sign posting wasn't a bad thing especially compared to what happens in rear end Creed 1, where everyone thinks you have to parry to do any damage because the animation for a good damaging hit is... A block. Just whale on the dudes, you only need to worry about animation priority to block other guys or punish counters from the whale-ee.

Woe upon you if you don't learn blocks are actually damaging results by the time you get to the rear end Creed Knight gauntlet.

i thought they meant that while the hidden blade in open combat couldn't block or attack in assassin's creed 1 and had the shortest counter window of all the weapons, counters with it were always lethal. plus they frightened other active combatants which opened them to an instant kill from the hidden blade too. so the fastest way to cleave your way through a wall of guards was to just hidden blade counter anything and everything

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cowcaster posted:

i thought they meant that while the hidden blade in open combat couldn't block or attack in assassin's creed 1 and had the shortest counter window of all the weapons, counters with it were always lethal. plus they frightened other active combatants which opened them to an instant kill from the hidden blade too. so the fastest way to cleave your way through a wall of guards was to just hidden blade counter anything and everything
I am the subject of my own post, it was me getting frustrated trying to parry duel 2 knights only to lose 30 minutes in and frustratingly Google how to best the rear end Creed knights and be told just swing your sword at them stupid.

That there was a Google result means I wasn't the only one and rear end Creed 2s subtle animation changes meant the world in making the combat make something like sense.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Funky Valentine posted:

I played through every rear end Creed game from 2 to Syndicate, and felt only a few (like Unity) had bad combat.

I quit the Arkham series on game two (City?), the seventh or eighth time it took me 5 minutes to beat down 20 or so random mooks barring my progress. My hands were getting a cramp, and there was another group waiting for me 10 meters down the street.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Jesus, Six Ages feels much, much more difficult than King of Dragon Pass. I get that it takes place during the period of a society in decline, but it’s kind of a bummer.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Xander77 posted:

I quit the Arkham series on game two (City?), the seventh or eighth time it took me 5 minutes to beat down 20 or so random mooks barring my progress. My hands were getting a cramp, and there was another group waiting for me 10 meters down the street.
how were the group you were fighting barring your progress then

batman can glide and has a grappling hook

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Funky Valentine posted:

Also punching dudes right in the rear end as a finisher

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Also punching dudes right in the rear end as a finisher

Please don't tell us about your escapades behind closed doors.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I find the lethality of the non-lethals hilarious.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Break every bone in a mans body?

89 BPM heart rate, unconscious.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Jesus, Six Ages feels much, much more difficult than King of Dragon Pass. I get that it takes place during the period of a society in decline, but it’s kind of a bummer.

I think it's harder early-game than KoDP but winning involves much less bullshit than a long game, unite-the-clans KoDP victory. There's still some very specific stuff you have to do, which is fair, because it's a setting about living out prophecies (or working really, really loving hard + getting extremely lucky to find loopholes in them) but I was able to do it without any guides or spoilers which I never managed to do in KoDP. I think part of the difficulty, too, if you're used to KoDP is that you're playing as a clan with very different values than the Orlanthi, and if you try to play Hyalorings like you would Orlanthi then your people will hate you, your ancestors will hate you, your gods will hate you, and you'll just eat poo poo. It took me some time to adjust.

edit: like don't get me wrong, the event chain to get the good ending is pretty tricky, but it's not like KODP where you have to have sex with a cave and then get one of your greatest warriors to marry a horse

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 10, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cardiovorax posted:

It is, however expressly not mod-compatible with anything made for the older 32-bit of Skyrim, so any mods that have not been updated for Special Edition (which is a ton of the really good ones) will not be available to you. Fair warning.

which ones are you thinking of? most of the good ones have gone across now, and it's so much smoother and less crashy.

e: like special edition basically just doesn't crash, even with insane loads of mods. and the shadows don't look like rear end. at this point I wouldn't recommend 32 bit skyrim.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 10, 2020

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

goferchan posted:

I think it's harder early-game than KoDP but winning involves much less bullshit than a long game, unite-the-clans KoDP victory. There's still some very specific stuff you have to do, which is fair, because it's a setting about living out prophecies (or working really, really loving hard + getting extremely lucky to find loopholes in them) but I was able to do it without any guides or spoilers which I never managed to do in KoDP. I think part of the difficulty, too, if you're used to KoDP is that you're playing as a clan with very different values than the Orlanthi, and if you try to play Hyalorings like you would Orlanthi then your people will hate you, your ancestors will hate you, your gods will hate you, and you'll just eat poo poo. It took me some time to adjust.

edit: like don't get me wrong, the event chain to get the good ending is pretty tricky, but it's not like KODP where you have to have sex with a cave and then get one of your greatest warriors to marry a horse

I can’t seem to win hardly any combats, no matter what I do, and it seems like I’m often outnumbered two to one despite my best efforts to recruit warriors at every opportunity.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's not in the bundle, so I am here to say don't sleep on Arkham Origins. It got a bad rap at launch for technical issues and it makes a number of missteps, but it also has a unique feel and I think it does a number of things better than City.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I can’t seem to win hardly any combats, no matter what I do, and it seems like I’m often outnumbered two to one despite my best efforts to recruit warriors at every opportunity.

I think I definitely had to focus on battle blessings from shrines and putting points into War magic during Sacred Time more than I did in KoDP. Also, I don't know how far you've gotten, but there's a (very very bleak) mid-game event after which raiding becomes less important for a while and incoming raids become a lot less common. Eventually you'll need to build your army back up but it's worth sacrificing your civil pursuits a little bit in the beginning of the game to make sure you have a strong army -- blessings etc are probably more important for this than recruiting warriors; I think there's one for example that like doubles the effectiveness of your Swords

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

John Murdoch posted:

It's not in the bundle, so I am here to say don't sleep on Arkham Origins. It got a bad rap at launch for technical issues and it makes a number of missteps, but it also has a unique feel and I think it does a number of things better than City.

Because steam is chaos, I have owned Arkham Origins for at least two years. I hope to eventually get to it, now that I have the full set.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I got Arkham Knight and The Witcher 3 for free with my 970 and I still haven't actually played Arkham Knight nor finished The Witcher 3.

I did 100% Arkham Asylum though. And Arkham City too with all the Riddler stuff, all the DLC challenges, everything.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 10, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

sebmojo posted:

which ones are you thinking of? most of the good ones have gone across now, and it's so much smoother and less crashy.

e: like special edition basically just doesn't crash, even with insane loads of mods. and the shadows don't look like rear end. at this point I wouldn't recommend 32 bit skyrim.
Personal favourites, mostly. I don't think the Soul Forge mod has been ported. The Psijic Teleport Spells have, though, since I last checked, so that's a nice surprise. I really didn't ever experience Skyrim as very crashy, though, even with tons of mods - I'm still used to the New Vegas state of affairs, which used to crash once an hour on the clock if you had too many mods active. Skyrim was wonderfully stable for me, subjectively at least, so I never felt much pressure to switch away from my carefully tended mod garden. :v:

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 10, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

There's one reason to play 32-bit Skyrim and it's the only reason to play Skyrim at all: Enderal.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

anilEhilated posted:

There's one reason to play 32-bit Skyrim and it's the only reason to play Skyrim at all: Enderal.

How is Enderal? As someone who's kind of bored of Bethesda RPGs, does it have better writing/satisfying combat? The description says it revamps how combat/skills work, or is that an exaggeration?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

How is Enderal? As someone who's kind of bored of Bethesda RPGs, does it have better writing/satisfying combat? The description says it revamps how combat/skills work, or is that an exaggeration?
Combat is still Skyrim-style but there is more focus on using movement to dodge attacks, mostly because they put in a mechanic that prevents mass abuse of healing potions. Skills got completely revamped, it runs on an experience/money leveling system now where you gain learning points on level-ups which you then combine with skill books to level the stats, making money an important part of the game. Skill trees now also contain active abilities (shout replacements) that don't share cooldowns and let you do some pretty cool stuff, especially when combined.

It does have better writing than Skyrim but that isn't saying much - it advertises itself as a "psychological story" which is basically bullshit but it is a good fantasy romp pretty close to the older Elder Scrolls in style. It has a much tighter world that is a lot of fun to explore, very few dungeons are just throwaway bandit hideouts with a leveled chest at the end (and those that are are a lot prettier).

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ancient Enemy, the latest game from the people behind Regency Solitaire and Shadowhand is out!

Watched a bit of the stream, looks pretty cool - chill puzzle-quest solitaire. If anyone has put some time in keen to know your perceptions. (Saw your other post Strix).