Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

yea I mean the answer is obviously 'yea no poo poo they found out he was a magic nazi with magic-hitler growing on his head, it was sad that a kid had to basically kill a dude but that's not something they're gonna talk a ton about' but I guess of all the 'you don't need every off camera interaction shown' things to pick that at least has a solid vein of 'what IS the morality in HP world's narrative anyway?' to tap.

i mean the kids probably running on Adrenalin and survival instinct. he touches rear end in a top hat, rear end in a top hat screams, he does it more, rear end in a top hat dies horribly. done. harry didnt loving failure drill him or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

JustaDamnFool posted:

Joseph Anderson finally finished part one of his magnum opus on the witcher, could someone in here watch all 4 hours of it and say if its worthwhile?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtrAx-rVgco

Don’t want to start a huge JA digression but the video was fine, but overly long like most of his videos. I hope you like four hours of him going over every single quest and event in the game while being mentally unable to understand/tolerate that the game has a lot of jank and many moments of inconsistent or bad writing while concluding it’s a good game overall. It has the usual obsessive completionist problem of dedicating 5000 hours into research playing all the Witcher games multiple time (why bother when you can just read about the outcomes of different choices on a wiki), all the books, all of Mass Effect and more games series. Not a huge fan of him mildy defending the use of violence and rape aimed at women in the books and games to explain why the setting is so grim and bleak; I hated it in the books and saw it as a product of an older style/culture of fantasy writing that took a long time to get woke and actually grow up.

Super Bunnyhop and Chris Davis have already done the same thing but much more concise and interesting insight on the topic. JA really cannot get past any sort of jank and standards below AAA game presentation.

https://youtu.be/ZohodiFCOTU

https://youtu.be/kKC_y-XI9S0

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Joseph Anderson is one of the YouTube gaming people that I would be most interested to see try and make an actual game, not because it would be good, but because he would spend thousands of dollars "fixing" the most minute things that no one would notice but him, creating a game that (assuming it even did come out) would be completely unfun and five minutes long. I don't know what it is about gamers, but they seem to be the people least capable of understanding the limitations of their medium and necessity to cut costs. If Joseph Anderson reviewed film he would complain that the alien from Alien wasn't actually a living being created through the genetic engineering.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ah, I am always up for someone making GBS threads on exceptionally horrible movies. here's mother's basement dunking on Dragon Ball: Evolution for 45 minutes. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceWn3Mi-tzw&hd=1

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I'm only an hour into Anderson's Witcher video, and yeah, it's as pedantic as everything else he's done, but he's also having way more fun with it, just goofing off in the editing, and it doesn't feel like a chore this time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Old Swerdlow posted:

Don’t want to start a huge JA digression but the video was fine, but overly long like most of his videos. I hope you like four hours of him going over every single quest and event in the game while being mentally unable to understand/tolerate that the game has a lot of jank and many moments of inconsistent or bad writing while concluding it’s a good game overall. It has the usual obsessive completionist problem of dedicating 5000 hours into research playing all the Witcher games multiple time (why bother when you can just read about the outcomes of different choices on a wiki), all the books, all of Mass Effect and more games series. Not a huge fan of him mildy defending the use of violence and rape aimed at women in the books and games to explain why the setting is so grim and bleak; I hated it in the books and saw it as a product of an older style/culture of fantasy writing that took a long time to get woke and actually grow up.

Super Bunnyhop and Chris Davis have already done the same thing but much more concise and interesting insight on the topic. JA really cannot get past any sort of jank and standards below AAA game presentation.

https://youtu.be/ZohodiFCOTU

https://youtu.be/kKC_y-XI9S0

agreed somewhat, i think other people have done it better and more conceisly. but i like the deep deep deep deep deep dive into witcher 1. i never played one. i skipped it and went on to two instead. also i was fine with his opinion on the world building. yes the witcher has issues with women and violence/etc. but it always struck me as alot less gross than game of thrones which dived into some really gross areas at times. like he says witcher is basicaly shrek but deeper and with a slightly less gritty Game of thrones social world building. also the books wernt that graphic if i remember. but agree with your general critique of the video being way too detailed and overthinky.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

marathon Stairmaster sesh posted:

I kinda feel bad for Ross here, he slowly becomes Old Man Yells at Cloud except with rougelikes as it goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcHDjbOx3EM

It wouldn't be the first time. He kinda became Old Man Yells At Cloud back when he covered Life is Strange, too. I seem to recall he complained about the diagetic music not matching his own taste at one point and redubbing what he listened to when he was a teenager over the introductory sequence.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 8, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Anderson video wasn't that bad outside of the mentioned usual issues where he repeats stuff so much he could've probably cut half the video out, but I don't think you can ever make the accusation that he half-asses anything.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fabricated posted:

The Anderson video wasn't that bad outside of the mentioned usual issues where he repeats stuff so much he could've probably cut half the video out, but I don't think you can ever make the accusation that he half-asses anything.

Yeah, he does. He doesn't go to the effort of revising his script or editing his videos into something that doesn't waste everybody else's time. They're just a pointless lazy ego trip. There are, you know, greater crimes, but refusing to edit your first draft is not a sign of diligence

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 8, 2020

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I found a pretty decent video dunking on the Harriett Tubman movie from last year and calling it out as whitewashed. Unfortunately Youtube took it down, so the link goes to archive.org, which buffers it so slowly that I had to download it to watch it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

New Doc Destructo video! This time on Death Wish 3!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1247859273012596738

:psyduck:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Doesn't Todd's net worth often get listed as something hilariously high? I think that's happened to a couple YouTubers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9ZsFT_eqXY

Game makers toolkit breaks down a Doom Eternal fight.

FriedMyBrain
Dec 31, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The AVGN reviews Mortal Kombat Rip-offs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldC4hw8AJ2c

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

FriedMyBrain posted:

The AVGN reviews Mortal Kombat Rip-offs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldC4hw8AJ2c

Im surprised he didn't touch Eternal Champions. Did he ever cover that?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I'm pissed off that despite having avoided this thread for three months, I'm still somehow ranked fifth among the top posters, despite the 127 pages of discussion since then.

Anyway, is it okay to watch Grimbeard Diaries, or is he bad?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

"What?" *Awkward chuckle* "You're telling me there were no repercussions to this, Harry wasn't even brought up before the Hogwarts PTA after killing Kenneth Branagh? That's a sinnin'!" DING.

Ha ha kill me.

Argas posted:

Probably the perfect time to bring up Harry killing a teacher (albeit in self-defense) is during book 2 when everyone thinks he's the heir of Slytherin, at least IIRC on how the matter was covered up.

???

Gilderoy Lockhart had a total memory wipe he never recovered from in book 2 but he didn't die. He even comes back in one of the later books as being in a wizard mental ward because he still hadn't recovered at all.

That video is pretty dumb though, like "WHY DIDN'T HARRY POTTER SUFFER FROM PTSD??" is up there with "WHY NO GUNS???" in the infinite realm of tepid Harry Potter Takes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

???

Gilderoy Lockhart had a total memory wipe he never recovered from in book 2 but he didn't die. He even comes back in one of the later books as being in a wizard mental ward because he still hadn't recovered at all.

That video is pretty dumb though, like "WHY DIDN'T HARRY POTTER SUFFER FROM PTSD??" is up there with "WHY NO GUNS???" in the infinite realm of tepid Harry Potter Takes.

i had to read the post like 5 times to actually understand it but i think what they're getting at is "Harry Potter killing Professor Quirrel coming up in the public eye at Hogwarts would most likely occur during Book 2 when everyone suspects him of being evil"

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The latest New Frame Plus video looks at how 3D animation in video games has improved over the last 23 years by comparing the opening of the original Final Fantasy 7 with the recently-released remake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoA2B4lb_ro

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

i had to read the post like 5 times to actually understand it but i think what they're getting at is "Harry Potter killing Professor Quirrel coming up in the public eye at Hogwarts would most likely occur during Book 2 when everyone suspects him of being evil"

Yeah, I forgot who played who.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alaois posted:

Maybe? I was beginning to wonder if two separate timelines with small, banal differences in Harry Potter plot points had recently merged together.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Quirrel's death in the books was more because of Voldemort leaving his body while it was in pain. I think. Its been so long since I read them.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Max Wilco posted:

I've watched a bunch of his videos, and I haven't seen anything offensive or indicative of chudery. He's pretty good too.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Max Wilco posted:

I'm pissed off that despite having avoided this thread for three months, I'm still somehow ranked fifth among the top posters, despite the 127 pages of discussion since then.

Watched him for over a year, never noticed anything bad, he's good as far as I know

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Max Wilco posted:

Wait, how do you know who the top posters are? Is there a section of the site for that?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jamie Faith posted:

Wait, how do you know who the top posters are? Is there a section of the site for that?

You know the part of the topic list that says how many replies each thread has? That's a button, click on it.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Alacron posted:

You know the part of the topic list that says how many replies each thread has? That's a button, click on it.

Oh! I didn't know that! Thanks!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alacron posted:

Is there a way to make that come up when it's not on the first page of your bookmarks?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
GaMetal teamed up with a few other youtube musicians to cover Life Will Change from Persona 5, and it's real good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuME31ct2e4&hd=1

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1247722205888348162

:lol:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

i'm having serious deja vu

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'd make a serious argument that this is true for The Simpsons, but for the MCU? :wtc:

Still less stupid than the people saying the DCU would be viewed this way eventually.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Idk it was just a really fun time at the movies. Maybe like a tiny bit more then that but not much.

All these nerds are embarrassing af

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Dude really wants and needs the things he likes to matter more than they actually do or ever will. He always sounds either like an idiot or pathetically insecure.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

For the record, I'm not making fun of people in the responses who enjoyed Avengers. I just posted this for Bob's comment saying "but THIS is what Aeschylus and Sophocles were aiming to draw from crowds at Dionysia. This is our Globe Theatre - but for the actual globe". He's always going off about how the MCU is humanity's greatest achievement. :lol:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 10, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i guess helping to create the entire art form of theatre in the west is somewhat comparable to america man picks up hammer.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Ghostlight posted:

i guess helping to create the entire art form of theatre in the west is somewhat comparable to america man picks up hammer.

Give them a break, it took him four years and eleven movies to pick up that hammer!

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Thanos does kind of look like Plato's man, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jamie Faith posted:

For the record, I'm not making fun of people in the responses who enjoyed Avengers. I just posted this for Bob's comment saying "but THIS is what Aeschylus and Sophocles were aiming to draw from crowds at Dionysia. This is our Globe Theatre - but for the actual globe". He's always going off about how the MCU is humanity's greatest achievement. :lol:

Has anybody done a let's read of Bob's Mario book?