Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ugh not looking forward to the five year review & all that mess

“Yep still broken”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.

iKon posted:

A few days ago I got an email about a review coming up with contractor QTC (I’m just about to hit my five years too). Just today I got a text saying all reviews conducted by QTC are on hold. So, might want to call the reviewer and find out if it’s still happening.

yep, I called and they were simply delaying scheduling for fourteen days if you reported any symptoms like a fever. Therefore I had a fever.

Maybe their policies will change in two weeks, but if nothing changes I will have to go see them in person.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
That’s crazy. Just keep calling I guess, seems like everything is changing minute by minute.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Just got an e-mail from VBA stating that in-person C&P exams are being suspended and they will instead be conducted from home or by tele-health. It didn't really address how you should go about making that happen, though; might just want to reach out to your rep / VSO. :shrug:

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
I just got a 40% rating and applied for voc rehab last week. I'm doing an accelerated nursing degree that it'd be nice to turn into a PhD NP, but I've only got 90% GI Bill.

Any idea of how long I should expect to wait to hear back about my application? Obviously this is not normal times but the fact the application was basically "what's your name?" makes me worried that I'm missing something or not following up.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

As long as you have any Post 9/11 months remaining (regardless of %) and have Voc Rehab you'll still get the 100% BAH stipend. I was in almost exactly the same boat as you re: Post 9/11 & Voc.

At least for me my Voc Rehab app got approved pretty quickly, within a couple weeks if I recall. Although it was only for undergrad, higher levels of education might be harder.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Aaand they just emailed me. Guess I was just impatient.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

y’all cursed me

Got a call yesterday to get everything in order to call me again later to schedule the appointments for my five year post-EAS exam. They said because of corona they are authorizing tele-health exams, and I’d need a camera.

I wasn’t 100% clear but it sounded like I had the option to do a phone exam, then a physical exam, or consent to them both on phone (guessing privacy issues like showing my butthole to the camera)

Last time I had to drive 2.5 hours one way, so I’ll take not having to leave the house. They said it could be upwards of 100 miles if I went in person

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So, I had no idea 5 year review was a thing...

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Yep. It’s easy least breezy usually. You just answer questions, make sure to note that your disability is still affecting you and if it’s worsened.

If you hold a rating for 20 years, they’ll leave you alone and you get to keep that rating for life. Clock starts from date of first claim submission.

I recently learned that 100% Permanent & Total vets can and do get re-evaluated as well. Just expect to have to do at least 4-5 reviews before your rating is permanent and the reviews stop.

They’ve been real big on reviewing PTSD vets. Which makes sense. Your poo poo knee is gonna always be poo poo, but you may possibly recover from PTSD even to a remarkable degree, or slightly. So I guess it kind of makes sense.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Is the 5 year review only if you're at a certain percentage? I had 0% for one knee and foot in 2012 (left AD) and then 10% for tinnitus and 0% for toe issue in 2017 (demobbed)

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Yep. It’s easy least breezy usually. You just answer questions, make sure to note that your disability is still affecting you and if it’s worsened.

If you hold a rating for 20 years, they’ll leave you alone and you get to keep that rating for life. Clock starts from date of first claim submission.

I recently learned that 100% Permanent & Total vets can and do get re-evaluated as well. Just expect to have to do at least 4-5 reviews before your rating is permanent and the reviews stop.

They’ve been real big on reviewing PTSD vets. Which makes sense. Your poo poo knee is gonna always be poo poo, but you may possibly recover from PTSD even to a remarkable degree, or slightly. So I guess it kind of makes sense.

So is it possible to increase your rating out of this? I realized belatedly that they gave me 0% for a well documented mental health issue that definitely has been more problematic since I got out. But I haven't really followed up with a doc yet.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

You can apply for a review at any point. I've been looking in to it and trying to figure out what to expect myself because of some mental health stuff being rated lower than it should, but I haven't started anything yet.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

Nick Soapdish posted:

Is the 5 year review only if you're at a certain percentage? I had 0% for one knee and foot in 2012 (left AD) and then 10% for tinnitus and 0% for toe issue in 2017 (demobbed)
I thought it was only for TDRL. I did mine this year. I understand that they changed TDRL to a three year limit and pretty much just do permanent retirement now since that is probably the result of most disability discharges. The idea of being found fit after five years, and then choosing to return to activate duty is pretty nuts tbh.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’ve been out since 2013 and never been re-evaluated. I am not TDRL or PDRL though.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The reviews are on a case by case basis and only mandatory for particular disabilities, like cancer. The general rule is that if something is expected to improve a review is warranted, currently they're at three years, but up until recently it was five. Mental disorders are more commonly subject to review just because symptoms can fluctuate with life circumstances. Like if you're a mess in 2017 due to a bad break-up but got your life together by 2020, you might not really warrant a continued 70 percent evaluation.

If you're permanent and total, it generally means there's not a future examination pending, except when it affects some other benefit, like Special Monthly Compensation. For example, if you're permanently 100% for PTSD, but you've also got some form of cancer at 100%, for which you receive special monthly compensation, you would still be permanent and total, but the cancer would be re-examined to see if there's still entitlement to that additional benefit.

So it's not something that VA does on every single evaluation, just the ones that are expected to improve. Current policy is to try to avoid unnecessary re-examination, so they're less likely to be placed on newer claims.

Also, yes, you can get an increase out of it if the condition has actually worsened on examination.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

My tele-health appointment is today, I’ll let y’all know how it goes, or slide into my DMs I guess.

vulturesrow posted:

Me neither. Above post summed it up mostly.

vulturesrow posted:

So is it possible to increase your rating out of this? I realized belatedly that they gave me 0% for a well documented mental health issue that definitely has been more problematic since I got out. But I haven't really followed up with a doc yet.

I was going to ask about something like this, I’ll let you know what they say. Pretty sure I’d have to go the traditional route—probably make a DAV appointment for that. It’s not on my rating at all though. I have a paper history from the military, and diagnosis from the VA. Should be a slam dunk.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Update:

Went well. Doc was cool. Didn’t really care much about physical ailments, I just highlighted what I had and that they were still there. Not sure that would have swayed anything either way—wasn’t completely relevant. Mostly focused around depression/anxiety/suicidal ideation, and where I’ve been with it; what it looks/feels like, and where I’m at now. We couldn’t get the camera to work, but the doc was fine with it.

I did mention sleep apnea, which he wrote down and such, but I’ll have to apply for that through the normal avenues as far as getting it on my rating. So yeah, I don’t think you could add something new to increase your rating through this per-se, but highlighting it for them to write down likely helps your case.

I’ll let y’all know if my rating is affected. If I had to guess I would say no.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 12, 2020

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Alright vets I'm finally done with my deployment, how do I set myself up for success afterwards. I'm going back to my civilian job eventually but we definitely had some issues with the burn pit and camel burning in east africa.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

idk where you were specifically and how it matters, but you might be eligible for the 5 years of post deployment healthcare through the VA. Also burn pit registries. Plus if you have any SC medical stuff, get a VA rating.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 17, 2020

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Flying_Crab posted:

idk where you were specifically and how it matters, but you might be eligible for the 5 years of post deployment healthcare through the VA. Also burn pit registries. Plus if you have any SC medical stuff, get a VA rating.

Yeah I'm looking into the closest Veterans group near me. I only have done the one deployment since joining the reserves.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

White Chocolate posted:

Yeah I'm looking into the closest Veterans group near me. I only have done the one deployment since joining the reserves.

Doesn't matter if it's only one, it's still active federal time.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Burn pit registry:

https://veteran.mobilehealth.va.gov/AHBurnPitRegistry

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

So does everyone utilizing the GI Bill get BAH right now? I was holding off until my school provided the classes I need in person so I'd get it, but if I can get it with fully online classes now instead of in person...

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
As long as the class is supposed to be in person but it's temporarily online due to plague, you should be good. That's what my vets office told me and what's on the VA website.

https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/72852/veterans-gi-bill-benefits-continue-covid-19-pandemic/

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.

Bellum posted:

yep, I called and they were simply delaying scheduling for fourteen days if you reported any symptoms like a fever. Therefore I had a fever.

Maybe their policies will change in two weeks, but if nothing changes I will have to go see them in person.

Update: The policies changed just in time, whadyaknow.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So, all told, my VA rating went up after my five year evaluation.

gently caress I’m broken

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

So, all told, my VA rating went up after my five year evaluation.

gently caress I’m broken

:nice:

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
So I enrolled in the VA, got my rating and have seen VA Dr’s but that was all years ago when I was still in Las Vegas. Since then I have gotten two phone calls the most recent being right around December 23rd-ish about doing a mental health survey but the calls were from the Las Vegas VA and whenever I told them I’d been in Connecticut since late 2018 they would get super worried I was still in their system and not Connecticut’s. It’s weird since I went through the VocRehab process up around Hartford but I guess I’m not completely enrolled for up here? How does that work now with the COVID? I also haven’t checked my E-benefits in forever since my checks have been regular and I occasionally get a paper copy of how much post 9/11 time I have left. Basically if I get sick/injured in the north east how hosed am I?

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
VHA (Veteran's Health Administration) and VA Benefits are two different organizations within the VA. So enrolling in school elsewhere isn't going to automatically transfer you within VHA. If you get sick/injured you're not necessarily screwed (the Mission Act will cover urgent care and ER visits in network), but I would call Las Vegas and officially let them know you moved and enroll into the VA closer to you. If something does happen, it will make it a lot easier.

Not sure how your local VA is handling enrollment with COVID-19. You'll have to call and ask if they do phone enrollment or want you to come in.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Anyone got any recommendations on where to look for info on civilian health care as an unemployed vet? Have not been assessed or filed a claim for disability yet, my appointment in April was cancelled for obvious reasons. I know I have one year from my ETS date (March 2020) to file for it and receive back pay dating back to my ETS date. Have several years worth of medical records for my lower back.

Getting out I was expecting to get a plan through my employer but looks like I'm probably going to be unemployed for a while. Health care plans in general just seem super confusing on what exactly I'm getting, paying or comparing plans.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Did you ever receive combat pay in any form? Even a ship in the Persian golf, or Djibouti Africa for example. If so did you apply for the five years of VA benefits?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I've never received any kind of combat pay, never left the states.

I haven't applied for the VA benefits yet because I was under the impression having a disability rating of some kind heavily increases your chances of being accepted. Or at least that's my understanding from the VA benefits class I had to go to.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Have you looked into the Washington Apple Health? There was a special enrollment period because of covid and you should qualify

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Nope, never even heard of it. Checking it out now. Thanks!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Talk to DAV, too. The longer you wait to deal with the VA the easier it gets to put it off longer.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Your county vet affairs office may also provide VA filing and health insurance benefits counseling as well. They may be overburdened, so call or email today to set something up. Not tomorrow, not next week, not when the "corona is over".

Don't be like me and wait 18 years before filing. I lost out on probably $150(ish)k in payments.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, my state level Veteran's department did my claim and it came back really quickly. A+ would recommend again.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Mustang posted:

I've never received any kind of combat pay, never left the states.

I haven't applied for the VA benefits yet because I was under the impression having a disability rating of some kind heavily increases your chances of being accepted. Or at least that's my understanding from the VA benefits class I had to go to.

Just wanted to give you some info on dental because you have a brief window for dental benefits you can use at the VA. You only have 180 days after you separate to check into the VA and get any dental work done that wasn't done on active duty. If you still have dental work that needs done and it's noted in your record (that you hopefully made copies of) you'll want to reach out to dental ASAP. That 180 days may be extended because of the pandemic, I am not sure... Right now dental still is only seeing emergency patients. In sterile processing we went from getting 30-40 instrument sets from dental a day down to 1-2, and some days nothing. And pretty much the only sets we get these days are extraction sets. So these days they are only doing emergency extractions. :(

As far as being accepted into VA healthcare on other conditions (like low income for example) at my VA we had a director that wanted to increase the number of patients by 3,000. She had a VA open house and if a veteran came in that wasn't enrolled they accepted them. So maybe reach out and see what they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Many years ago when I was still in, I went to the doc in every command I was ever assigned to and asked them to look at my heart health because I was having problems with circulation and experiencing palpitations. The docs weren't trying to hear that from a 21-year-old. They would listen for a few seconds with a stethoscope, say it sounded fine, and told me to hydrate. No entries were ever made in my medical records and no attempt was ever made to help.

Now that I'm old and sick, I got into the VA healthcare system. As soon as I said I was experiencing heart issues they did everything they could to downplay it and blame it on my emphysema. Nobody cares that I have been experiencing issues for over 20 years, they just want to avoid saying that it happened while I was enlisted.

Anybody have any experience with this sort of thing?

Also my records were never maintained properly and nothing was ever documented. Even things like awards and ribbons that are easily verifiable through ship's activity were never entered for me. After the millionth time of going to some poo poo rear end yeoman and asking them to please update my awards they decided to line out my good conduct and just wrote "void" in there but never added any of the things I earned

E: I had no njp or anything, they just wanted to be a dick and remove the only thing that was ever actually updated in my record

titties fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 22, 2020