Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Isn't there an Australian economy version of that optimism too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's a British economy one too

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tenebrais posted:

There's a British economy one too

The "blood-from-a-stone" curve

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I’m sure that will finally improve now that we’ve decided to demolish our one remaining successful business sector

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
Where can I get a job as one of these economic forecasters? I can draw a line that goes up, too!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Golden Dragon posted:

Where can I get a job as one of these economic forecasters? I can draw a line that goes up, too!

i think the pipeline is: born rich -> ivy league -> think tank

the first part is the hard part

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
We should just randomly distribute all babies, throughout the whole world. You give up a baby, you get a baby, and that's the only way to have a kid.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Can I please opt out

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

We should just randomly distribute all babies, throughout the whole world.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You give up a baby, you get a baby, and that's the only way to have a kid.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
here's one of the few "consistently wrong pessimistic predictions" examples

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

last year i think, someone collated the predictions from the danish ministry of finance, whatever they use to back up their policies. this goes back decades, so both left/right govts (tho center obvs)

60% of their predictions were wrong, equally distributed over like a 40 year period

in other words, we would be better off to do the opposite of whatever their model says

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
hey now, cut them some slack, they're eviscerating those chickens as fast as they can

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Tree Goat posted:

here's one of the few "consistently wrong pessimistic predictions" examples

Why would you predict installed PV would go down :psyduck:

Am I misunderstanding this graph or something?! :psypop:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You are heavily into Freedom Gas and Freedom Oils

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

taqueso posted:

You are heavily into Freedom Gas and Freedom Oils

no mix

no mx

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

DarkHorse posted:

Its added capacity per year, not total installed

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

There were reasons to be pessimistic about how solar PV would grow from maybe 2005 to 2008.

That said, even without the 2008 correction everyone knew that China was increasing solar-grade silicon production at an insane rate, now that there was an industry demand, and that the price would plummet as soon as that came online.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

From the Daily Mail.

Apparently 25841 < 25676, 29570 = 29790 and 33324 < 32890.

I suspect this is just incompetence/laziness.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

flatluigi posted:

i've always really wondered the demographics of people who go and rate stuff on imdb. is it like, integrated into something people use to watch tv on or do they really have roving gangs of dedicated raters that judge every tv episode they ever watch

imdb reviewers skew heavily towards "reactionary white male american nerdo"

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-if-online-movie-ratings-werent-based-almost-entirely-on-what-men-think/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jjack229 posted:

I'm not sure if it is better or worse that they don't try to extrapolate Intel's future performance
If they did they'd probably be correct since Intel's still stuck at 14nm for their mass product lol

Seems like that flattened the curve all right
vvv

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Apr 10, 2020

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Top: The "testing is going up and looking great!" graph showing cumulative tests performed.

Bottom: The "testing is basically unchanged" graph showing daily tests performed (that they don't show at the press conference).

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
somebody digitized "struggle for five years in four," a multi-lingual book of isotype visualizations of the success of the soviet five year plan

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stoatbringer posted:

From the Daily Mail.

Apparently 25841 < 25676, 29570 = 29790 and 33324 < 32890.

I suspect this is just incompetence/laziness.

For anyone not familiar, the Daily Mail is basically Fox News.

I feel like these companies just have prefab graphs that already have the rough shape they want to display and then they slap the numbers over them whether or not it actually matches the graph.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

vyelkin posted:

Top: The "testing is going up and looking great!" graph showing cumulative tests performed.

Bottom: The "testing is basically unchanged" graph showing daily tests performed (that they don't show at the press conference).

This is why everyone should learn the basics of calculus

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

btw, what actually was the deadliest disaster during Obama years?

e. Wikipedia has bunch of tornadoes killing 350 people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Super_Outbreak

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disasters_in_the_United_States_by_death_toll

Kennel has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Apr 11, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"anonymised location data of mobile phones that were active at a single Fort Lauderdale beach during spring break 2020"

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Memento posted:

"anonymised location data of mobile phones that were active at a single Fort Lauderdale beach during spring break 2020"

:lmao: @ the people who went directly from a Florida beach to Banff.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Hungry Computer posted:

:lmao: @ the people who went directly from a Florida beach to Banff.

Someone apparently went from the beaches of Fort Lauderdale to drive the length of the Trans-Canada Highway... and took the northern route through Kapuskasing.

This person would confuse me.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Albino Squirrel posted:

and took the northern route through Kapuskasing.

Dry lips, I guess.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Quick fix for this chart: add a y-axis labeled “Republican outrage at the President”. Then it works.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Memento posted:

I'm a bit surprised this method of data collection worked in Canada and Mexico along with the US.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Count Roland posted:

I'm a bit surprised this method of data collection worked in Canada and Mexico along with the US.

we all live in your lovely panopticon

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

"The colored bands represent the direction the rodent most frequently chooses to move in. The jird (left) is a quadruped rodent and tends to move forward predictably, so its band is thin and concentrated towards the front and back. The jerboas (center and right) are bipedal and have evolved a predator evasion tactic that involves popcorning wildly around in any direction, alternating randomly between running, skipping, and leaping. Presumably this tactic makes it harder for hawks and other predators to predict their speed and trajectory. Jerboas and jirds are found in the same desert locations with scant resources, but jerboas’ unique locomotion allows them to forage for food and evade predation in open environments with little cover that would be too dangerous for a quadrupedal jird"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Winklebottom posted:

"The colored bands represent the direction the rodent most frequently chooses to move in. The jird (left) is a quadruped rodent and tends to move forward predictably, so its band is thin and concentrated towards the front and back. The jerboas (center and right) are bipedal and have evolved a predator evasion tactic that involves popcorning wildly around in any direction, alternating randomly between running, skipping, and leaping. Presumably this tactic makes it harder for hawks and other predators to predict their speed and trajectory. Jerboas and jirds are found in the same desert locations with scant resources, but jerboas’ unique locomotion allows them to forage for food and evade predation in open environments with little cover that would be too dangerous for a quadrupedal jird"

popcorning wildly around in any direction

This is great.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Probably more amusing without context but it's from this paper: https://frontiersinzoology.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1186/1742-9994-10-80

It doesn't say anything about popcorning sadly.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

New York State projections

Folks, I am beginning to think this model is awful.

Figured I'd follow up on this one:

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Figured I'd follow up on this one:

hhnng, those error bars

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Uncertainty lowers as time passes, and sooner or later deaths per day will reach 0. If only because everyone is either dead or cured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s like a line made in Adobe Illustrator.

There’s a fixed point where y equals zero on the fifth of May and the curve takes whatever shape it needs to to reach that.