Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

MarcusSA posted:

I like the Smart Keyboard but I’m not a big fan of how when you aren’t using it the keys are exposed on the back.

That's the main reason I returned mine and got a regular cover. If I need, I can use a bluetooth keyboard - but I use it to read with far more than type on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm considering getting an iPad to replace my current Android tablet and I'm wondering if the things I do with my tablet currently would still work and work in the same way:

-blocking ads
-transferring movies onto it from my windows pc for playback outside of wifi
-sending links from my pc to it, something like pushbullet if anyone's familiar with that
-accessing files on my NAS via a file explorer type app

As you can probably tell, I'm completely unfamiliar with Apple products so any input on if and how those things work on iOS would be appreciated.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm considering getting an iPad to replace my current Android tablet and I'm wondering if the things I do with my tablet currently would still work and work in the same way:

-blocking ads
-sending links from my pc to it, something like pushbullet if anyone's familiar with that

As you can probably tell, I'm completely unfamiliar with Apple products so any input on if and how those things work on iOS would be appreciated.

You can install an adblocker. There are a couple of good options with varying levels of customisation but they don’t work within apps.

You can use transfer movies via iTunes.

I think pushbullet has an iOS app? Although I’ve never used it.

You can access shared drives through the built in Files app but I think there may be some quirks.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

There are also 3rd party apps for video playback like VLC and Infuse, and also apps for file share access.

Looks like no Pushbullet for iOS. The Apple ecosystem has Continuity features for that kind of thing, but it sounds like you don't use anything else Apple. There is Pushover, but I don't think it does everything that Pushbullet does.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pushbullet used to have an iOS app but they let it wither and die after Handoff became a thing.

The best way I know to pass things between iOS and a Windows system is Notes.app and iCloud.com in a web browser. Or the OneDrive app for files.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Sri.Theo posted:

You can install an adblocker. There are a couple of good options with varying levels of customisation but they don’t work within apps.

So no blocking ads in Youtube or the browser for example?

Sri.Theo posted:

You can use transfer movies via iTunes.

Only through iTunes? I have to install it to copy movies onto it, for playback via for example VLC?

CygnusTM posted:

There are also 3rd party apps for video playback like VLC and Infuse, and also apps for file share access.

Needing 3rd party apps to do it is fine, I was just wondering if it was possible to do at all.

CygnusTM posted:

Looks like no Pushbullet for iOS. The Apple ecosystem has Continuity features for that kind of thing, but it sounds like you don't use anything else Apple. There is Pushover, but I don't think it does everything that Pushbullet does.

Pushover seems fine, all I use Pushbullet for now is to send links to websites I have opened on my desktop to my tablet.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
The adblockers block ads in the browser. I believe it’s due to the permissions of apps in iOS, it’s complicated for one app to interact with another except using built in functionality (sharing files, photos etc).

You can always sync video files using iCloud, OneDrive or Dropbox but I’ve almost never bothered to do so.

Apple has opened up the file system in iOS a bit recently but it’s still quite locked up- I don’t know if any recent updates have let you transfer files from Windows without iTunes. If access to the file system in Windows is what you need iOS may not work for you.

Edit: I guess you can use a USB drive with a lightning adapter as well.

Sri.Theo fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 10, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Incessant Excess posted:

So no blocking ads in Youtube or the browser for example?

Only through iTunes? I have to install it to copy movies onto it, for playback via for example VLC?

Needing 3rd party apps to do it is fine, I was just wondering if it was possible to do at all.

Pushover seems fine, all I use Pushbullet for now is to send links to websites I have opened on my desktop to my tablet.

Many apps set up little FTP servers so you can avoid iTunes. Like, VLC can load movies that way and transfer from anything with a web browser. GoodReader can handle files that way too. I’m sure it’s a feature in lots of video players.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Doesn’t Safari already have like pretty robust adblocking built into it? And constantly being added to? I thought that was one of Apple’s big selling points/web business’ biggest complaints about it.

Also a lot of the tips here are from like 2017. You can get movies and other files onto/off your iPad in a jillion different ways depending on how you want to do that, whether with or without wires, streaming from such as a NAS, etc. Apps like VLC exist and even the built in player will readily handle stuff from the Files browser now I’m pretty sure.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Doesn’t Safari already have like pretty robust adblocking built into it? And constantly being added to? I thought that was one of Apple’s big selling points/web business’ biggest complaints about it.

Safari has some tracking/cookie blocking built in, but not adblocking.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you use Firefox on the PC the the Firefox iOS app can share links natively back and forth

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

Apple has opened up the file system in iOS a bit recently but it’s still quite locked up- I don’t know if any recent updates have let you transfer files from Windows without iTunes. If access to the file system in Windows is what you need iOS may not work for you.

You can mount SMB shares in the files app in the latest version of iOS/iPadOS

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

FCKGW posted:

If you use Firefox on the PC the the Firefox iOS app can share links natively back and forth

Does the Firefox app work well in general or is Safari the best option on iOS? In any case, sounds like me needs are all covered in some way or another, so I'll be picking one up when a deal rolls around. I'm mainly interested in video consumption and some light browsing but I'm used to flagship devices that are pretty fast and responsive, so I figured I'd go with the Air over the base model.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

You can mount SMB shares in the files app in the latest version of iOS/iPadOS

He said outside of WiFi which is what makes it difficult, lots of ways otherwise. But I’d don’t know if you can mount an SMB share via a lightning cable?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

Does the Firefox app work well in general or is Safari the best option on iOS? In any case, sounds like me needs are all covered in some way or another, so I'll be picking one up when a deal rolls around. I'm mainly interested in video consumption and some light browsing but I'm used to flagship devices that are pretty fast and responsive, so I figured I'd go with the Air over the base model.

It works, but iOS still doesn't let you change your default browser so you'll never fully escape Safari if you tap links. Apple doesn't make their optimized javascript engine available to non-Safari browsers either. In practice I'm not sure it matters much but it's worth noting.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Sri.Theo posted:

He said outside of WiFi which is what makes it difficult, lots of ways otherwise. But I’d don’t know if you can mount an SMB share via a lightning cable?

I assumed OP meant that he wanted to play the videos when he was away from his network, not that he wanted to transfer files without using a network.

If the latter IS the case, I think a couple of those files substitute Apps like File Explorer support some kind of USB sharing. Then FE exposes a folder to the Files app for playing in a video app.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Chrome will do the same thing. All the big browsers will do that at this point I think.

xzzy posted:

It works, but iOS still doesn't let you change your default browser so you'll never fully escape Safari if you tap links. Apple doesn't make their optimized javascript engine available to non-Safari browsers either. In practice I'm not sure it matters much but it's worth noting.

I could've sworn that got changed in the last big update or two. Like, I distinctly recall seeing an option or a menu or a box somewhere asking me to choose between Safari and Chrome as default for stuff like links, etc. I also thought Apple stopped doing that Webkit thing recently, not that it changes the fact that Safari's still generally the best choice browser and best optimized.

Incessant Excess posted:

Honestly, if value-for-money is an issue I'd save the hundred bucks and maybe put that towards a Pencil or some accesories instead. I don't really see the value in the Air (the laminated screen I guess) vs the regular. Like if you're gonna spend $400+ on the Air you may as well spend $100 more and go for a 2018 Pro.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

I could've sworn that got changed in the last big update or two. Like, I distinctly recall seeing an option or a menu or a box somewhere asking me to choose between Safari and Chrome as default for stuff like links, etc. I also thought Apple stopped doing that Webkit thing recently, not that it changes the fact that Safari's still generally the best choice browser and best optimized.

As far as I know, it's just a rumored feature for iOS 14 this fall. If it is possible now it's a trick I don't know about!

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

Chrome will do the same thing. All the big browsers will do that at this point I think.

I could've sworn that got changed in the last big update or two. Like, I distinctly recall seeing an option or a menu or a box somewhere asking me to choose between Safari and Chrome as default for stuff like links,

Might have been YouTube, that’s always asking you to switch to chrome.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

You probably saw a dialog created by the app you clicked the link in offering to directly open Chrome for you instead of Safari, but a default browser can't be set system wide as far as I know.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

That's google apps doing it like GMail and I'm sick of it. It'll turn itself back on even when I tell it to never ask me, gently caress off Google.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

I assumed OP meant that he wanted to play the videos when he was away from his network, not that he wanted to transfer files without using a network.

If the latter IS the case, I think a couple of those files substitute Apps like File Explorer support some kind of USB sharing. Then FE exposes a folder to the Files app for playing in a video app.
Yeah sounded like the usual basic watch movies offline use. But if it wasn't that, iOS does support ethernet adapters these days.

john500y2k
Jan 29, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

-blocking ads

-blocking ads
I have tried several and as I think others have stated the majority only work with Safari. However I have found one that is called Lockdown and it works across all apps on iOS. It does this by using a local vpn profile which has a filter list for the ad specific dns requests. I favour this app compared to some of the others as it is all local not remote.

-transferring movies
Various ways to do this however my favourite is just to use Plex and their sync feature which just allows you to select anything from your library and sync it to your device for offline playback.

-sending links to pc
If you use chrome then you could just use the recent tabs feature in chrome on any platform also I believe within chrome there is a send to device feature. There are other third party apps and plug ins out there but I left those a long time ago so am not up to date with them.

-accessing NAS
No problem iOS now has built in SMB connection to a NAS. Just using the built in Files app can connect and use as a normal file explorer. There are also third party apps but haven’t bothered to explore those yet as got by with the integrated Files app so far.

Hope this helps shed some light on your queries.

EDIT: Just saw your query about using a USB to lightning for storage. Yes you can plug in a USB drive into an iPad and access the storage media through the native system. For normal iPad USB to lightning adapter needed. For IPad Pro then USB-C will work or use an adaptor or hub.

john500y2k fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 14, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

john500y2k posted:

EDIT: Just saw your query about using a USB to lightning for storage. Yes you can plug in a USB drive into an iPad and access the storage media through the native system. For normal iPad USB to lightning adapter needed. For IPad Pro then USB-C will work or use an adaptor or hub.

If you’re gonna get a USB adapter/camera kit for USB transfers I’d consider looking into USB/lightning thumb drives. They’re no more expensive than regular thumb drives and you can move/play poo poo straight from them.

There are bigger storage drives and even portable wireless NAS dealies that promise to stream poo poo to/from your tablet too but the cost gets way higher and I can’t speak to how good they are.

Edit- you’ll still probably want to grab an adapter for other stuff, but I’d rather have a
thumb drive around that can plug in directly if you plan to use it a lot

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 14, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just placed my order for a 2020 128 11”, Apple Pencil 2 and that sexy cactus green cover.

I am ashamed that I’m essentially spending a grand on not having to take a little cap off my pencil to charge it anymore but hey that’s showbiz baby.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welcome to the good life

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

For those intersted, looks like Apple Refurb has 3rd gen iPad Pros for $200 off. (for the 64gb model, $170 off for the 256GB model). No lidar but these will be compatible with the new keyboard.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Just ordered an iPad Air with 256 gigs to ride out confinement. What's the goon recommendation for a good cheap case, apart from the official ones?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chikimiki posted:

Just ordered an iPad Air with 256 gigs to ride out confinement. What's the goon recommendation for a good cheap case, apart from the official ones?

Just scroll back the last like 10 pages, we talk about this every two weeks or so. Also it depends on what kind of case you want.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Just scroll back the last like 10 pages, we talk about this every two weeks or so. Also it depends on what kind of case you want.

Sorry, should have been more precise: I'm looking for a cheaper alternative to the Smart Cover. I've checked on Amazon, but I couldn't decide from which one of the hundreds of weird name brands I should buy.

I've browsed through the last 10+ pages of this thread, but I only found recommendations for keyboard cases (tldr: buy Logitech). Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and get the official one for top dollar!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chikimiki posted:

https://www.amazon.com/ProCase-Ultr...562&sr=8-5&th=1

I mean this one is 12.99 and gets like 12k reviews at 4.5 stars.

I guess it depends on what kinda protection you are looking for but there are loads of knock offs around.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wow the new iPad Pro 11 form factor is just perfect.

I’m finally browsing SomethingAwful like its 2020!

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The magic keyboards are up for order on apple.com and apparently the 11 inch ones are shipping next week. Ordered one. :toot:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

kefkafloyd posted:

The magic keyboards are up for order on apple.com and apparently the 11 inch ones are shipping next week. Ordered one. :toot:

Really looking forward to your trip report.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really want to pull the trigger but man, that $399CAD tag really takes it outta me :ohdear:

No harm in waiting I guess. Really excited to read opinions on thiccness.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I really do want one for my 12.9 but drat...

Need to see some good reviews before I pull that trigger. It is solidly out of impulse buy range that's for sure.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I really do want one for my 12.9 but drat...

Need to see some good reviews before I pull that trigger. It is solidly out of impulse buy range that's for sure.

I need to buy a new keyboard cover either way, as the one from my 2018 Pro doesn’t fit quite right with the camera cutout so I need to look at it less as “$400” and more like “a bunch over $239 for the regular keyboard folio” which definitely hurts LESS, but still not an impulse buy :q:

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Is there a way to have photos show up in a Files folder? My workflow when I back up to my PC is kind of a pain currently since I have to select “save to files” in the Photos app every time. iPad OS has made a ton of progress in the past year but boy does Apple still make things difficult sometimes.

UncleGuito fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 15, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

Same shipping estimates for the 12.9". Ordered as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Martytoof posted:

No harm in waiting I guess. Really excited to read opinions on thiccness.

I'm using a spare magic mouse as a replacement to see how much user I get from a mouse. A lot of it is going to come down to how much app support it gets so until that develops a little more I'm in no rush to jump to the new keyboard.