Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

are they the brown ones wrapped in colourful foil? they're loving awful to fry i'll tell you that much

That took me far, far too long to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

That took me far, far too long to get.

I didn't at all until I read this post. I was thinking that's odd I've never seen foiled eggs here in America how weird. It's okay I get it now.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Do you get chocolate eggs for Easter in yankland

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Amphigory posted:

Do you get chocolate eggs for Easter in yankland

I've always assumed they're stuffing their faces with as much unethically sourced vomit flavoured chocolate as possible, and at Easter as well.

Chocolate rabbits seem like a thing in canada but eggs too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I boil it for like 4 minutes gosh darn it. Yeah it’s probably better fried or roasted I’ve just never bothered trying. Also my partner gets mad when I put butter on veg (or rice), cultural difference there, he finds it disgusting

yeah thats too long lol

anyway lol we're all being turned into serfs

https://twitter.com/jessbrammar/status/1248496829768974336

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jose posted:

yeah thats too long lol

I hope they mean “Farmers to pay a reasonable wage”, given that they’re in dire straits if the fruit and veg doesn’t get picked.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This is the first time I've ever hated my user name

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wooger posted:

I hope they mean “Farmers to pay a reasonable wage”, given that they’re in dire straits if the fruit and veg doesn’t get picked.

lol

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

wooger posted:

If they actually pay us I'd be tempted just to get me out of the house. I'm on 80% wage, doing gently caress all and bored out my loving skull. Don't have a car though and the area where i live is mostly cereals and grazing land, not much that needs hand picking

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

yeah thats too long lol

Shoutout to the "UPIK" reply

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

davidspackage posted:

Shoutout to the "UPIK" reply

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

wooger posted:

Ugh. There was an old lady in front of me the other day in the checkout, buying only a woman’s weekly and some kitchen roll.

Yes I’m sure that is your once a week shopping trip lady.

fwiw attacking people like this is playing directly into the government/media’s strategy to paint the public as scapegoats for not following the rules once they start having to dig mass graves

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol no need for the slash

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

wooger posted:

Ugh. There was an old lady in front of me the other day in the checkout, buying only a woman’s weekly and some kitchen roll.

Yes I’m sure that is your once a week shopping trip lady.

There seems to be a real gap in the messaging both here and in the UK.

Most people here seem to be aware of the "don't leave home unless it's for one of these reasons" message, but they also seem to be trying to cram as much as possible into trips outside the home instead of keeping those outings as short as possible and going to the minimum number of places necessary to accomplish their essential business. "I'm already out anyway so I will just..." is a dangerous strategy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jose posted:

yeah thats too long lol

Should have overcrowded the prison system like Americans, then you dont even need to ask

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

oh but seriously I posted:

Wannabe by The Spice Girls is completely incoherent.

Yeah, they say "nothing lasts forever" and then immediately follow up with "friendship never ends", which is jarringly inconsistent.

Generic Monk posted:

fwiw attacking people like this is playing directly into the government/media’s strategy to paint the public as scapegoats for not following the rules once they start having to dig mass graves

It's been really interesting (for someone who's stuck at home all day) to see this strategy being sold to the public. The more time we spend being angry about sunbathers and joggers, the less time there is to question the actions (and inaction) of the government.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

Maybe we can copy The Donald Trump Mass Grave Memorial model

Have a good time!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, they say "nothing lasts forever" and then immediately follow up with "friendship never ends", which is jarringly inconsistent.

it isn't a negative statement, op. they are saying that the concept of 'nothing' is eternal, and directly equating it with 'friendship', implying that these two eternal concepts are identical. friendship, in the scheme of things, means nothing.

the juxtaposition between this actual semantic content of the song and the syntactical context of a bunch of people jumping around indicating that they are friends is a direct and searing indictment of the manufactured nature of the girl group's relationship - remember, Wannabe was the debut single, and the group had barely come together.

also they said 'zig a zig ah' because it sounded funny

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I wonder if Mel Brooks ever called himself Mel B

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

it isn't a negative statement, op. they are saying that the concept of 'nothing' is eternal, and directly equating it with 'friendship', implying that these two eternal concepts are identical. friendship, in the scheme of things, means nothing.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The line is "make it last forever" OP, and yes I am aware of most of the traps I'm falling into.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

the juxtaposition between this actual semantic content of the song and the syntactical context of a bunch of people jumping around indicating that they are friends is a direct and searing indictment of the manufactured nature of the girl group's relationship - remember, Wannabe was the debut single, and the group had barely come together.

also they said 'zig a zig ah' because it sounded funny

A...

:)

:cool:

...spicy take.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

HJB posted:

The line is "make it last forever" OP, and yes I am aware of most of the traps I'm falling into.

gently caress now i need to pick a new topic for my phd

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Huh, i alwats heard it as "makin' love's forever" but it seems i was incorrect, go figure

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Fatkraken posted:

Huh, i alwats heard it as "makin' love's forever" but it seems i was incorrect, go figure

me too, maybe we have dirty minds op!!!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if you wanna be my lover
you gotta bang my friends too
making love forever
friendship never ends

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Fatkraken posted:

If they actually pay us I'd be tempted just to get me out of the house. I'm on 80% wage, doing gently caress all and bored out my loving skull. Don't have a car though and the area where i live is mostly cereals and grazing land, not much that needs hand picking

my problem is that i'd be scared of getting the roni. few days ago i saw like 40 workers leaving in a huge group from a warehouse.

people dont give a poo poo

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I don't think Mel B ever did reveal her forbidden secrets

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

I don't think Mel B ever did reveal her forbidden secrets

It was that she was bullying Mel C so bad that she ended up with an eating disorder.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

hemale in pain posted:

my problem is that i'd be scared of getting the roni. few days ago i saw like 40 workers leaving in a huge group from a warehouse.

Yeah that's the main concern especially as i imagine they'd be bussing workers to the field each day. Probably a moot point in my part of south yorkshire anyway, a good 3/4 of farmland is cows or sheep and most of the rest is machine harvested crops like grain and rapeseed. A lot of the veg are grown in East Anglia, midlands, home counties etc. Plus without a car and avoiding public transport the logistics aren't particularly feasible anyway

blackgreywhite
Apr 7, 2019

and pink.

hemale in pain posted:

Yeah, when I go for a run in the morning I pass some sort of office type facility across the road that does shift work. A few groups of maybe half a dozen standing close together outside, waiting for a lift like nothing's wrong. And most look to be in their forties or fifties, quite near the top of the most vulnerable ages.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Shut up Meg posted:

It was that she was bullying Mel C so bad that she ended up with an eating disorder.

Well, that's no fun.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Well, that's no fun.

Here's a more fun secret:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEPV63O4iq8

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

i just noticed your av blinks

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jose posted:

i just noticed your av blinks

She only blinks when I make a good post, so I am not surprised you never noticed.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
That gorilla in a suit looking guy was crying

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Cheering/clapping for the NHS is a nice thing to do.

Watch this, but count to five before revealing the spoilered YT comment whilst it is playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIOgfRrkKVk

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Where I live in Cornwall there are plenty of veg/daffodil fields normally stacked out with Bulgarians, Romanians, Croatians, who can earn what is good money for them then get the tax back - they’re strangely missing this year. How odd. Might be because we told them all to gently caress off, as well as this pandemic.

This stuff isn’t gonna get picked out of the ground because there sure as gently caress aren’t many around here who are going to do it in enough enough numbers to make it matter for the price the farmers are going to pay.

I reckon the next move is “we’ll continue to pay 80% but you must be *volunteering* at your local farm”

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

She only blinks when I make a good post, so I am not surprised you never noticed.

Who is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's the captive slave cyclist from the peloton adverts