Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

PancakeTransmission posted:

I mean she is yelling out THE TALLY OF SLAIN MONSTERS HAS BEEN UPDATED or whatever repeatedly (was 30 hours ago for me), and there's a big scoreboard which updates. Did you (and others) not think to go over and talk to her?

Not really, no. She doesn't stand out at all, plus there's a ton of flavour dialogue in the slums. She doesn't get any camera focus as you walk past, and there's no marker until you get right up close. I only went to find her after seeing people mention it here, and didn't realise who I was meant to talk to until the barely noticeable person standing behind everyone else was highlighted with a small marker when I deliberately moved the camera over her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I did end up going up to her, but she's just one of hundreds of NPCs and they're all pretty loud. There's nothing to indicate that she's more than background scenery.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Okay, I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this so apologies. What exactly do I need to do to complete the stagger effect part 1? I only have like 4 so far. I try staggering then using a sword ability on the enemy but it doesn't always work.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Just completed Chapter 7. I haven't played FFVII in about 22 years, but so far the biggest change I've noticed is how they altered the framing around first and second Mako reactor core bombings. In the original game I don't remember anyone in AVALANCHE being all that concerned about the human cost, but in the remake you see that Shinra allowed it to happen in order to justify their wars and oppressive hold over Midgar. In the original I think Jessie even says that she's going to make the explosion bigger in Sector 5, not smaller. I can see how that might be controversial but I think it works here, first because it makes the question of "how could a group of 5 people including one guy with a 500lb sword evade security twice" more plausible, and second, because it leads to some more interesting characterization for Barret and other members of the team. You see Barret as someone who is willing to push on for a cause no matter the cost, and Tifa being more reluctant. And in the middle you have Cloud, who doesn't really have a moral compass so the work doesn't bother him, but obviously loyal to Tifa.

Oh, and that Roche guy during Jessie's chapter. Don't remember anything about that happening in the original, although I guess it's amusing to imagine there are all these Mako-deranged SOLDIERs wandering around out there without a war to fight.
In the original, Jessie and Barret definitely acknowledge the amount of blood on their hands from their bombings.

One argued about fact is OG Jessie says the blast at the first reactor wasn't supposed to be so big. I chalk this up to the fact they're a ragtag crew of untrained slum terrorists working out of the basement of a bar and would absolutely gently caress up at bomb-making because that's the kinda poo poo that happens. But a lot of fans have been saying this is implying Shinra played a part in destroying their own reactor to seize power/demonise AVALANCHE - as in the remake. :shrug:

And yeah, Roche is a brand new character, definitely a 2020 modern Square-Enix addition.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kingtheninja posted:

Okay, I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this so apologies. What exactly do I need to do to complete the stagger effect part 1? I only have like 4 so far. I try staggering then using a sword ability on the enemy but it doesn't always work.

Stagger then use your triangle (unique) ability to quick fill your ATB.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Things that irritate the gently caress out of me: ATB gauges being used up even when the ability/spell doesn't get cast because the character got attacked

And also what's going on with the slum areas? They look completely unfinished, like an upscaled PS1 game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

And also what's going on with the slum areas? They look completely unfinished, like an upscaled PS1 game.

They look great. Some people have said there are texture streaming issues. I've noticed it a few times on smaller objects and in Cloud's bedroom but not outside in the slums.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Things that irritate the gently caress out of me: ATB gauges being used up even when the ability/spell doesn't get cast because the character got attacked

the unreal engine's always been a prima donna when it comes to texture loading, allegedly there's a patch in the works

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

It's everywhere in the slums... running it on SSD too. The weirdest thing is that they have modelled the roundest, nicest barrels that surely takes up thousands of polys, and put it against a ghastly 12x12 texture cliff face. It's best described as inconsistent.

The most obvious is when tifa shows cloud the flat. The door right there looked like it came off the N64.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's everywhere in the slums... running it on SSD too. The weirdest thing is that they have modelled the roundest, nicest barrels that surely takes up thousands of polys, and put it against a ghastly 12x12 texture cliff face. It's best described as inconsistent.

The most obvious is when tifa shows cloud the flat. The door right there looked like it came off the N64.

SE really seems to have a thing about lovingly modeling barrels. See XIV 1.0.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Reactor 5 mission question: I got the Elemental materia on platform H-07 but there's another purple materia on a beam kinda near H-01 and I have no idea how to get to it. Anyone manage to get it?

Edit: figured it out. Ugh.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 11, 2020

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Reactor 5 mission question: I got the Elemental materia on platform H-07 but there's another purple materia on a beam kinda near H-01 and I have no idea how to get to it. Anyone manage to get it?

Lower the platform you used to get to the blue materia.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

HD DAD posted:

SE really seems to have a thing about lovingly modeling barrels. See XIV 1.0.

I think back to art class and its love of having us draw a lot of cylindrical and spherical objects and wonder if barrels are a part of that for graphic design.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
This Sector 5 section sucks. I hate mazes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's barely a maze, there's the path forward and some side branches with treasure like every other dungeon, it just looks a bit more messy.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

stev posted:

Yeah I did end up going up to her, but she's just one of hundreds of NPCs and they're all pretty loud. There's nothing to indicate that she's more than background scenery.

She gets a name above her text in the chat log on the left.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

It's barely a maze, there's the path forward and some side branches with treasure like every other dungeon, it just looks a bit more messy.

It took me forever to get out. I'm in the reactor now finally.

Is there a fast way to heal everyone? It takes a long time to give people potions 1 at a time.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

The game starts getting a lot harder at Airbuster, at least for me. Every boss and mini boss after that has been very difficult for me, unless you somehow have the correct Materia on the first time you fight them. I am never going to even bother with Hard mode.

Also, the music in the first part of Sector 6 Slums sucks. It's like a track they pulled right out of FF13 and it gave me PTSD, and it doesn't even fit the theme of the area at all. The techno Wall Market theme is ok, though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Is there a fast way to heal everyone? It takes a long time to give people potions 1 at a time.

Benches, otherwise, no.

GoGoGadget posted:

The game starts getting a lot harder at Airbuster, at least for me. Every boss and mini boss after that has been very difficult for me, unless you somehow have the correct Materia on the first time you fight them. I am never going to even bother with Hard mode.

Also, the music in the first part of Sector 6 Slums sucks. It's like a track they pulled right out of FF13 and it gave me PTSD, and it doesn't even fit the theme of the area at all. The techno Wall Market theme is ok, though.

Wait are you talking about Hollow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2RH6fLvJEw

It's an instrumental of the games main theme. Full vocal theme is the games credit song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op59nu5sIwk

Anyway, if the FF7RE soundtrack sounds FF13 at times it's because Masashi Hamauzu is the main composer of 7RE and the sole composer of XIII

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 11, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Seedge posted:

She gets a name above her text in the chat log on the left.

There like three hundred entries a minute in that log.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

when theres a giant number tracking how many fiends ive killed i am usually inclined to see if i can talk to the girl in a half-shirt yelling about it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Starting to genuinely dislike the phase mechanic for bosses, the past three or four bosses I haven't gotten a single stagger because the second I get close it shifts phases and undoes everything.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I have a new ability on Tifa and I still can't get "the stagger effect pt 1" to go past 8/10. What the gently caress, game?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Onmi posted:

Benches, otherwise, no.

this thing is total bullshit and the fact that you can't use items like potions directly from the inventory is annoying

potions are nearly infinite with how many you get and should be easier to spam if you have them because it's better than wasting mp on cure

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Not super fast but hold down l1 on the screen for selecting potion (if you look there should be a toggle saying multi-use) that lets you spam using a item without the menu closing after using one at least.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
As someone who had always read mako like mayko, it has bothered me far more than I thought it would. Thankfully it’s been the only thing that has bothered me.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Onmi posted:

I think the best part about Barret is half the time he's trying to be a big burly hardass, and the other half he's trying really hard to make Cloud think he's cool.

Barrett just wants you to pick him for that Gold Saucer date.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder what level/gear they'll start the player out with in part 2 when it comes out. Start you at low levels again like the Mass Effect sequels/Xenosaga games did, or have some sort of like "you start at level 30 in this one" thing going on?

I sorta doubt they'll start you off with an inventory full of materia and gear because when something is a series like this, they usually at least try to make it something a person could conceivably start in the middle of without being completely overwhelmed, but who knows.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

Starting to genuinely dislike the phase mechanic for bosses, the past three or four bosses I haven't gotten a single stagger because the second I get close it shifts phases and undoes everything.

The metagame involved around that is probably the only game mechanic I don't like. When I fought (Ch. 8) Reno in the church, I staggered them and blasted them with Cross Slash and they were literally standing around dazed and staggered with half HP and a little X marker over their health indicating that I was not allowed to do damage anymore until the game phased them lol

I don't really see the point of doing it that way. Let me shave the next phase. The game is tightly designed enough that if you somehow manage to blow through an entire phase of a boss and basically skip it, you kind of deserve that win.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Here's really dumb question - what button do I press to cycle through the various on-screen map options?

I went from compass at the top to map on the right and I don't know how. I'd like both!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

zakharov posted:

Here's really dumb question - what button do I press to cycle through the various on-screen map options?

I went from compass at the top to map on the right and I don't know how. I'd like both!

L2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

I wonder what level/gear they'll start the player out with in part 2 when it comes out. Start you at low levels again like the Mass Effect sequels/Xenosaga games did, or have some sort of like "you start at level 30 in this one" thing going on?

I sorta doubt they'll start you off with an inventory full of materia and gear because when something is a series like this, they usually at least try to make it something a person could conceivably start in the middle of without being completely overwhelmed, but who knows.

They actually kept your entire spec between Mass Effect 2 & 3, adding new evolutions to the existing skill trees. The only thing that was removed were the ammo powers since those were changed to be consumables.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They are really trying to pull at your heartstrings with Jessie.

And it’s working. :sigh:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Just played the first hour and stepped out into the city for the first time I'm... I'm a terrorist, holy poo poo. This is worse than 9/11. We blew up a nuclear plant in the middle of a city :ohdear: Barret is our bin Laden and we are mass murderers.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 11, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Even the plateside residences in Midgar seem kinda lovely. Also I just met Jesses parents!

They are really gonna make that one sting.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
I’ve never played the original but it feels like I did through cultural osmosis and this game is neat so far, apart from finding the battle system clunkier than FFXV’s iteration.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Caidin posted:

Even the plateside residences in Midgar seem kinda lovely. Also I just met Jesses parents!

They are really gonna make that one sting.

Seeing photos of her in her dad’s room just made me sad. :(

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Out in the field unfortunately no, unlike the original where you could use potions and cure magic from the inventory.
In battle you got some options such as pairing magnify and healing materia (magnify is the same as 'all' materia from the original) or the 'prayer' command materia which is incredibly powerful.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Folks, I already achieved the pinnacle of this game.

https://twitter.com/JakeMHS/status/1249031316215128071

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Phenotype posted:

Just played the first hour and stepped out into the city for the first time I'm... I'm a terrorist, holy poo poo. This is worse than 9/11. We blew up a nuclear plant in the middle of a city :ohdear: Barret is our bin Laden and we are mass murderers.

Not really, just kinda.

Did you miss that Shinra ordered all their robots to go berserk and blow up the reactor harder?