Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

explosivo posted:

Is there a good writeup of recommended graphical settings/tweaks for AC: Origins? I have a decently powerful system (i7-6700k, GTX1070, 16gb ram) but I get maybe on average 45FPS in Origins, ~30 in towns and as dumb as it sounds it bums me out enough to not want to keep playing it. :smith:
That should be enough to play it on Very High everything, speaking from personal experience with a very similar system, so I'm not sure what your problem could be. Are all your drivers up-to-date?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

explosivo posted:

Is there a good writeup of recommended graphical settings/tweaks for AC: Origins? I have a decently powerful system (i7-6700k, GTX1070, 16gb ram) but I get maybe on average 45FPS in Origins, ~30 in towns and as dumb as it sounds it bums me out enough to not want to keep playing it. :smith:

I don't know of any write-up, but I have a similar problem with a nice beefy laptop, but boy does Origins love to lag. I dropped it down from very high to high and it still lags in Memphis sometimes - it's worse in cities, too!

Meanwhile Odyssey runs a lot better on very high. Why? gently caress if I know.

PS god I love Batman and the Joker's interactions. They're such a disaster together and it's my favorite thing and Arkham Asylum is acing the banter.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cardiovorax posted:

That should be enough to play it on Very High everything, speaking from personal experience with a very similar system, so I'm not sure what your problem could be. Are all your drivers up-to-date?

Relatively, I've updated within the last month or so I'd say.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

anilEhilated posted:

I really want an EYE battle royale game. It would be the first battle royale game I'd have any interest in playing.

Hell, :same:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I remember Origins' ambient occlusion being very performance hungry.

There's also been some complaints about the latest nvidia drivers being bad.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

StrixNebulosa posted:

PS god I love Batman and the Joker's interactions. They're such a disaster together and it's my favorite thing and Arkham Asylum is acing the banter.
The Arkham games mastered the the Batman-Joker dynamic and it gets better with each game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

explosivo posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/assassins-creed-origins-performance-guide/

I find their comments on what settings are/aren't impactful are usually pretty spot on.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Frog Act posted:

so everyone with Vermintide II got an 80% off coupon for Deathwing, the coop terminator tyrannid fps. It has/had bad reviews but the coupon is for the enhanced edition which is getting better reviews and brings the price down to $8. it also has, thanks to the coupon, enough people playing that multiplayer will probably be active for a good month or so. anyone have any experience with it? is it a decent mediocre coop experience for a little while or not worth $8?

unfortunately can't recommend it at all for the singleplayer - It feels quite unpolished and unfinished in its presentation and gameplay feels aimless/non-strategic with extremely random spawns that best appear to be dealt with by just walking away to a different part of the map rather than killing them all or destroying spawn points or something actually engaging, long range snipey enemies that are a terrible match for the unilaterally inaccurate shotgunny weapons you're given, limited gameplay options with a single weapon at a time, it just doesn't come together as a good experience. the best part of the game is the extremely detailed and good looking environments, but you don't get to stop and enjoy them due the nonstop stream of genestealers.

I only played the multiplayer at launch so I can't comment on that now since it was the main thing they focused on improving so maybe it's better, but I'd be surprised if it's great based on the singleplayer and how it was at launch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

explosivo posted:

Volumetric Fog is the big frame killer in these games, you get something like a 25% performance increase going from Ultra to Medium for very little visual difference.

I'd also recommend using the frame limiter (either in-game or through RTSS) to your desired target, and then setting the adaptive AA threshold for whenever the framerate dips below that level.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I apparently got a -80% coupon for Space Hulk: Deathwing. I have no idea what that is, if anyone wants it

e: off to bed now but if someone quotes this they can have it

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 11, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Which video setting would control the torch details for AC: Odyssey? Runs great until the torch is pulled out and then the framerate nosedives.

exquisite tea posted:

Shadows mostly.
You'd think that but I already have those turned down. I guess my question is "what setting controls particle effects" since I'm thinking that's it.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 11, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Joe Man posted:

Which video setting would control the torch details for AC: Odyssey? Runs great until the torch is pulled out and then the framerate nosedives.

Shadows mostly.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Doom Eternal is very, very fun but whenever a Marauder appears I wish I was playing 2016 instead.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Modern Ubi games are really demanding, especially on CPU. They're one of the few games that can really tax 10+ cores if you have them. I can imagine that really limiting the maximum FPS you can get on older systems and laptops in general.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Doom 2016 is one of my favorite games of this generation but too often during Eternal I'm not having fun. I feel like there's just too much going on between all the abilities in combat layered on the focus on weakpoints. It feels like I'm constantly juggling instead of just grooving to killing demons, and that's even after dropping the difficulty. I also actively dislike a lot of the platforming sections, which I didn't mind in 2016 but having a double jump, dash and reload for jumps just, again, feels like juggling.

I also think they started taking the story too seriously, and there's so much of it. It felt like 2016 was so eager to roll its eyes at how serious everything around it was (you chuck the dang exposition box away at the very beginning!), but now even Doomguy is bowing to kings and the game is throwing all of these Proper Nouns around and I feel like I have no idea what's going on without diving into the calvacade of info dumps I'm picking up in the world, and stopping stomping dudes to read a codex itself feels antithetical.

I'm halfway through and gonna finish it because overall it's still a very good shooter with more good than bad, but I just got to the first Marauder and can tell there's one more aspect of the game I'm not gonna enjoy.

Doom Eternal feels like the Homer Car of shooters. It just has too much of everything.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Soul Glo posted:

Doom 2016 is one of my favorite games of this generation but too often during Eternal I'm not having fun. I feel like there's just too much going on between all the abilities in combat layered on the focus on weakpoints. It feels like I'm constantly juggling instead of just grooving to killing demons, and that's even after dropping the difficulty. I also actively dislike a lot of the platforming sections, which I didn't mind in 2016 but having a double jump, dash and reload for jumps just, again, feels like juggling.

I also think they started taking the story too seriously, and there's so much of it. It felt like 2016 was so eager to roll its eyes at how serious everything around it was (you chuck the dang exposition box away at the very beginning!), but now even Doomguy is bowing to kings and the game is throwing all of these Proper Nouns around and I feel like I have no idea what's going on without diving into the calvacade of info dumps I'm picking up in the world, and stopping stomping dudes to read a codex itself feels antithetical.

I'm halfway through and gonna finish it because overall it's still a very good shooter with more good than bad, but I just got to the first Marauder and can tell there's one more aspect of the game I'm not gonna enjoy.

Doom Eternal feels like the Homer Car of shooters. It just has too much of everything.

Someone had said Doom Eternal is the John Wick 2 of Doom and they are absolutely correct.

I would just ignore all the exposition/lore stuff. it's essentially fanfiction

I had a revelation that came embarrasingly a couple levels in that chainsaw regenerates and that changed from trying to conserve ammo and poo poo into just shoot shoot saw shoot shoot non-stop and I was having a blast. Just mashing flame, grenades, shootshoot on cooldown or even if they're not. Now I'm on Taras Badas or something and starting to lose my grove. But yeah it's absolutely a lot more spinning-plates in that you do need to juggle flame, freeze grenades, punching, rotating through weapons, sawing, etc almost to a rhythm game. I still don't have a rhythm to Marauders and I'm just chucking all my grenades and spamming rocket and hope it works. I haven't been able to do ballista/whatever patterns very well on them unless they're completely alone, but they definitely are not fun at all to fight.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

I would just ignore all the exposition/lore stuff. it's essentially fanfiction
Is the writing really that bad? DOOM 2016's lore was hilarious.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

In terms of Doom lore it's pretty much a direct sequel to Doom64, but it lacks any of 2016's satire. If you were expecting that they would continue with the tongue-in-cheek tone of the first game then you'd be disappointed.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

explosivo posted:

I know I don't need a $150 physical collector's edition of a $20 game however I would very much like a tiny obelisk of light to sit on my desk at work :ohdear:

A month old but I pre-ordered the $150 version cause :retrogames:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Also the writers loved their "let's call demons mortally challenged" joke waaaaay too much. It's EVERYWHERE.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

anilEhilated posted:

It just doesn’t have the same funny disregard for the weight of the story. I loved how Haden would be explaining how delicate you have to be to shut something down while you kick it broken. Eternal didn’t have that vibe.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Yeah it was funny when it was corporate doublespeak, less funny now without the joke of "we're capitalists fracking hell," which I got a good chuckle out of.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Azran posted:

Doom Eternal is very, very fun but whenever a Marauder appears I wish I was playing 2016 instead.

The most fun to be had from marauders is when they turn up in the middle of a big fight and you need to start taking out everything else while constantly staying one step ahead of them. Unfortunately once everything else is dead you need to take care of the marauder and the counter routine is just dull. Plus a good chunk of the game's marauders appear basically on their own and in uninteresting surroundings.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Getting back into AC Origins like some others here and was pleasantly surprised with Animus Hacking (read cheat mode) that allows you to fiddle with a bunch of the game settings like health, damage etc.

I personally increased damage taken and received to make things less spongy, made stealth easier and increased assassination damage (you can also just make all assassinations instakills). I also decreased XP gain because I like doing the sidequests and seeing my husband Bayek help kids and poor farmers and stuff. You can also change your character model, have the sun perpetually setting, increase movement speed by like 5 times, be friendly with bandits and a bunch of other cool stuff. It's really neat and I'm sad they didn't add it to Odyssey for some reason. it disables achievements but who gives a poo poo.

Trickyblackjack fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 11, 2020

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

explosivo posted:

If it has adaptive vsync ingame try that, else try forcing it in your driver software and/or capping fps to 30. I'm assuming you are an old like me with a 60refresh monitor.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/KazuCrash_/status/1248808307030216704

this seems like the kind of dumb nonsense this thread would enjoy

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Here's some more AC Origins screenshots because god drat this is the prettiest game

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I thought your camel had five legs before I expanded the thumbnail.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I expanded the thumbnail and it still took me a moment to parse that.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

A month old but I pre-ordered the $150 version cause :retrogames:

Just bear in mind that both editions will be delayed due to the pandemic, so I'll be waiting to play it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hope they make the OH DEAR and WAGH!!! sounds too

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

baka kaba posted:

I hope they make the OH DEAR and WAGH!!! sounds too

STAP

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I apparently got a -80% coupon for Space Hulk: Deathwing. I have no idea what that is, if anyone wants it

e: off to bed now but if someone quotes this they can have it

No one wants this? I guess it can't be super popular if they're giving an 80% discount

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Final Fantasy XV is such an odd game. I know it had a really long, troubled development, but it’s basically a bunch of neat systems and extra features that feel like they came from an “ideas guy,” or a Kojima type to be more gracious, but they’re all strapped around a core gameplay that, while it looks really good and seems technical and crunchy at fave value, is basically a fluffy confection that may as well play itself.

I’d be really interested to see these ideas implemented in a game with more substantial fundamentals, but unfortunately it doesn’t seem like they’re going to take another crack at it with XVI.

It is really gorgeous and relaxing to play, though! It’s nice to just watch the beautiful vistas roll by as your chauffeur drives the car, which is honestly a feature I’d like to see more games implement.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Look, Gordon! Skateboards! We can use these to- Help me, Gordon!!

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

No one wants this? I guess it can't be super popular if they're giving an 80% discount

As I understand it, the game can be great fun if you have a crew of fellow Warhammer fans to play it with on the regular. Otherwise... eh, not so much.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Final Fantasy XV is such an odd game. I know it had a really long, troubled development, but it’s basically a bunch of neat systems and extra features that feel like they came from an “ideas guy,” or a Kojima type to be more gracious, but they’re all strapped around a core gameplay that, while it looks really good and seems technical and crunchy at fave value, is basically a fluffy confection that may as well play itself.

I’d be really interested to see these ideas implemented in a game with more substantial fundamentals, but unfortunately it doesn’t seem like they’re going to take another crack at it with XVI.

It is really gorgeous and relaxing to play, though! It’s nice to just watch the beautiful vistas roll by as your chauffeur drives the car, which is honestly a feature I’d like to see more games implement.
The Final Fantasy 7 remake may be of interest to you, because from what I see, the basic gameplay is fundamentally quite a lot line that of FF15.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I thought your camel had five legs before I expanded the thumbnail.

Hey, look at the shmuck on that camel!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

It is an unbelievably aesthetic and unbelievably mechanically dull L4D that's like, somehow five years old now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It lets you charge into Genestealers, killing them by sprinting at them. Somehow it makes this incredibly unsatisfying. The trailer is still spectacular though. If you've not seen it, it's well worth a watch.