Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

One of the best parts of the Ft13 franchise is that from Jason's perspective, the events of Part 2 through Part 8 are like, a week. Parts 2, 3, and 4 are direct continuations of each other and take place from Friday to I think Monday. And then Jason's dead until part 6, dead between parts 6 and 7, and dead between parts 7 and 8.

Starting from Part 2, Jason just kills and kills and kills on a nonstop murder spree until he gets melted by radioactive waste into a non-disabled child in a Manhattan sewer

This doesn't really contradict anything you said, but there's a pretty subtle time jump in Part 2 after he kills Alice in the opening scene. You can tell that it's at least a few weeks(maybe more?), because later in the movie you see her body in his lair and it's clearly been there for longer than a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Basebf555 posted:

This doesn't really contradict anything you said, but there's a pretty subtle time jump in Part 2 after he kills Alice in the opening scene. You can tell that it's at least a few weeks(maybe more?), because later in the movie you see her body in his lair and it's clearly been there for longer than a day or two.

Not only that, but the campers are now talking about the "legend" of Jason, which was born out of him killing Alice in the first place. According to the movie, she was killed a couple of months after she killed Jason's mother. Later on in the movie, the police chief tells the new campers that "things have been quiet around here for 5 years, and that's the way we want to keep it". So it's been five years, which is plenty of time for Jason to turn into local legend.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My favorite thing about the Ft13 franchise is the way fans just have 100 different theories of how it totally makes some kind of sense if you squint just right. And I think that probably is a big part of why people enjoy it so much. Its like interactive storytelling vs those ones that actually establish a plotline you have to acknowledge.

I call it Death of the Author by Machete (Or Whatever Jason Used Before That).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Origami Dali posted:

Not only that, but the campers are now talking about the "legend" of Jason, which was born out of him killing Alice in the first place. According to the movie, she was killed a couple of months after she killed Jason's mother. Later on in the movie, the police chief tells the new campers that "things have been quiet around here for 5 years, and that's the way we want to keep it". So it's been five years, which is plenty of time for Jason to turn into local legend.

OK so he did one revenge murder, then lived peacefully in the woods for five years and then a single like ten day murder spree until his evil and disability were cured by being melted by New York's daily toxic waste flush

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

It's all to taste, for sure, but I think it's a point in Jason's favor that we can argue which is our preferred design separate from which film they appear in. Plenty will tell you Part 7 has the best design even if they hate the movie. FvJ has issues, but it's not the Jason design. And I love Burlap Sack hillbilly Jason, it's a creepy design. They even still use it for Halloween Horror Nights Friday the 13th houses!

You left out Jason X, but really...

It's poo poo. Even the pre-Uber Jason mask, while preserving the scar in the upper-left, looks terrible.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Uber Jason is good.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Since parts 2, 3, and 4 take place over a span of four days, why the hell do groups of teens keep visiting the mass murder lake within 24-48 hours of the first set of murders, and why isn't Crystal Lake swarming with cops/feds since the killer isn't presumed dead at the end of part 2? This timeline also means that if Rob from part 4 is seeking revenge for his sister from part 2's murder, then he really has his poo poo together since, in the span of two days, he learns of his sister's death, somehow knows that it's Jason who killed her (even though none of the news reports mention him), knows all about the local legend of Jason, knows that Jason's body disappeared from the morgue the day before, and is now at Crystal Lake with the intent to kill him.

Lmao the timeline is so hosed, it really is a good competitor for Saw.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Origami Dali posted:

This timeline also means that if Rob from part 4 is seeking revenge for his sister from part 2's murder, then he really has his poo poo together

He doesn't, though, the most effective thing he does against Jason is scream at someone else to run away while he's being murdered. He's really bad at hunting Jason, just like everyone else except maybe Tommy (who gets a massive penalty for raising him from the dead using the laziest plot device imaginable).

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

My favorite thing about the Ft13 franchise is the way fans just have 100 different theories of how it totally makes some kind of sense if you squint just right. And I think that probably is a big part of why people enjoy it so much. Its like interactive storytelling vs those ones that actually establish a plotline you have to acknowledge.

I call it Death of the Author by Machete (Or Whatever Jason Used Before That).

My favorite thing is all the decapitations

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Drunkboxer posted:

My favorite thing is all the decapitations

Anytime gets literally punched off in a movie, you're going to have a good time watching it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I have a hard time ranking Jason films because around 5 they change drastically and by the time you get to X it's not "Let's make a good slasher/horror film" it's "wink, wink, we're making a Jason flick".

So there's a sorting that says "gently caress yes X and takes Manhatten are at the top because the kills man" and there's another set with 1/2 near the top because they do a great job building the threat.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK I'm gonna call it because this was 4 blowouts, the closest matchup wouldn't have made a difference if 10 people voted for the underdog, so here's your results:

Stupid idiots voted for the worst horror movie villain in Jason and denied Jigsaw his due.

The Djinn takes down the catsuited Kate but runs into the woodchipper that is Friday the 13th next round.

I suspect several of these Cube votes were protest votes that a previous victim of these two franchises was knocked out early. Nevertheless, Drac/Frank/Wolfy are enough to stave off Canadian low-budget sci-fi horror this round.

Chucky cuts Lep down to size, but now we'll see if Dourif can punch above his weight (and ankles) against Lugosi and Karloff.

Pittsburgh round 2 in about an hour when I finish composing the post!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Time to use your BRAIIINNNNSSS :zombie: to decide a winner in the next knockout round before we get to the Sweet Six-Scream. Some of these are brainless (heh) choices, but I think at least one will be close. :siren::siren:VOTE NOW! USE THIS LINK!
:siren::siren:

Did Bub ever go to college? No? Well the Ghoulies did. QED. :colbert:

Mudman vs Bluddworth, who ya got?

Now we have to decide if having multiple AvP movies in your franchise is a good thing or a bad thing. Having multiple movies with Barbara Crampton is, of course, always a good thing.

This just keeps happening, first with tiny toys against each other, then Blade vs Hatchet, now Pazuzu vs Gabriel.

I'll keep the voting open for another week, or until we have 70+ votes like last time with a ton of blowouts.

:siren::siren: VOTE NOW! USE THIS LINK! :siren::siren:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay now things are getting difficult :mad:

It's finally at the point where I'm going to have to make some tough choices about my favorites vs. series that are objectively better or more important.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

As much as I love all the underdogs, it's likely next round in Pittsburgh will have an Alien v Exorcist matchup, which sounds literally impossible to call a favorite in.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This is exactly why there was the Bloodrayne option in previous rounds. Bring back Bloodrayne!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

In the interest of completion, since we're including TV series and spinoffs, I'd like to humbly point out that both Re-Animator AND Alien have had stage productions. If you'd like to consider them, you may in the voting:

https://twitter.com/JesseMerlin/status/1246500022226567168

https://twitter.com/bhsdrew/status/1109508555701436416

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 11, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Very tough to vote against Re-Animator but I had to do it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Agreed. Re-animator is great, but both Alien and Aliens are on Universal Monsters or Romero Zombie level of being cinema defining.

I love Return of the Living Dead, but Final Destination is better as a franchise.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

This is the easiest bracket for me. I'm voting for what has brought me the most joy. While I acknowledge that Alien is the more accomplished series, it hasn't brought me nearly as much unbridled pleasure as Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator. The same goes for RotLD. Final Destination holds more of an even keel throughout the series, but nothing there touches the genius of the fist RotLD.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

RotLD really is the arbiter of if one Great film can carry an otherwise garbage franchise against a genuinely excellent franchise where no single film is a true standout.

I'm actually going to go with Final Destination here, in part because that series was a very early influence on me and inspired my love for horror and two because it's maybe the last truly great slasher series. The slasher genre, let's admit it, is generally dead -- one-offs and throwback movies withstanding. But Final Destination seems like it may have been the last stand for the genre and really it's logical conclusion. The concept is so simple, yet brilliant. The deaths -- without a physical killer present -- at times take the shape of a vulgar Picasso by deconstructing and reconfiguring the human form in gruesome ways (think back to that gymnastics death). It's consistently funny and self-aware without being tongue-in-cheek. Also, that highway crash sequence from FD 2 is an all timer pileup sequence.

We all love RotLD, I know I do. But FD is 4 for 5 and they're all stellar in their own way.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I actually love the Yuzna batshit crazy RotLD movie, it's really entertaining and weird. FD is a fine franchise but a bit too Deadmeat content (How many killings?) to really stand out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnWd0iv8Dq4

Edit: The second one isn't bad either now I think of it. Rooting for the little zombie that could this round.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 11, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Also even the bad Final Destination (4) has both a racist being dragged to death while "Why Can't We Be Friends" plays on the radio and a visual recreation of Chuck Pahalunik's Guts short story so...

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hey, could we get a full version of the bracket with the first round of 64 posted?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

RotLD really is the arbiter of if one Great film can carry an otherwise garbage franchise against a genuinely excellent franchise where no single film is a true standout.

I would argue that the RotLD franchise has two great films.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Those later films are maybe worse than anything else in the brackets, though. Like I think even the worst hellraisers have more value than later ROTLD entries.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
RotLD vs FD was the hard one. I voted for the franchise this time since FD is pretty consistent and RotLD, well, isn’t.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Return of the Living Dead is worth a hundred Final Destinations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

Return of the Living Dead is worth a hundred Final Destinations.

The rest of the series are worth -97 Final Destinations, though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Alhazred posted:

I would argue that the RotLD franchise has two great films.

:hmmyes:

I haven’t seen any of the other ROTLD sequels though but based on their reputations I’m not missing much. FD on the other hand has 3 solid films, one OK one, and only one bad entry. None are as good as the first ROTLD but as a franchise it wins easily for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

This is the easiest bracket for me. I'm voting for what has brought me the most joy. While I acknowledge that Alien is the more accomplished series, it hasn't brought me nearly as much unbridled pleasure as Re-Animator and Bride of Re-Animator. The same goes for RotLD. Final Destination holds more of an even keel throughout the series, but nothing there touches the genius of the fist RotLD.

This is exactly my line of thinking.

Yes, Alien and Aliens are more influential and better Films, but I just bought a collector's edition of Re-animator on blu to watch anytime and I don't even own an Alien film on DVD, so...

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
ROTLD 3, unrated cut, is good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

ROTLD 3, unrated cut, is good.

Yes it is!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I would watch RotLD five times in a row over watching the Final Destination series. Easy vote.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Re-Animator is typically more my thing than Alien, but since Prometheus is in there it's impossible for me to vote for Re-Animator.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well at least two zombie franchises are moving forward

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

TheKingslayer posted:

I would watch RotLD five times in a row over watching the Final Destination series. Easy vote.

By this logic Jaws would be here until almost the end. It's easily one of the best films in the series. If you ignore all of the bad parts of a franchise it's easy to make it look good.

Yes, I would rather watch RotLD than any individual FD, but when I think about watching the franchise over this weekend, it's very easily FD by a mile due to the lovely Rise sequels.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And I'd be happy to rewatch any of the RotLD more than any of the Final Destinations. I like FD2 & 5, but not nearly as much as RotLD 3, which is arguably the crowing achievement in Yuzna's aesthetic.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Very tough to vote against Re-Animator but I had to do it.

Same but the exact opposite. You, of all posters, I expected better from - this is tantamount to voting against From Beyond. I mean I don't like voting against Alien, but there's no choice this time.

And yes, one RotLD is enough to carry the franchise, but it doesn't have to because there's also part 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The Virgin Death vs The Chad Julie Walker