Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why don't we see more Vulcan captains in Star Trek? I can only think of two off the top of my head: Sisko's captain at Wolf 359 and the douchebag from Take Me Out To The Holosuite.

Come to think of it you almost never see nonhuman captains in Starfleet.

For that matter, despite being a multi species federation it really seems like the UFP is human centric, with no cultural distinctions for Vulcan or andorian spaceships and whenever other federation species show up they're always treated as quirky outsiders.

imagine having to work for the rear end in a top hat vulcan from the ds9 baseball episode. there's probably whole HR divisions of starfleet who work to make sure ships aren't going to mutiny from cross-cultural conflicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why don't we see more Vulcan captains in Star Trek? I can only think of two off the top of my head: Sisko's captain at Wolf 359 and the douchebag from Take Me Out To The Holosuite.

For that matter, despite being a multi species federation it really seems like the UFP is human centric, with no cultural distinctions for Vulcan or andorian spaceships and whenever other federation species show up they're always treated as quirky outsiders.

Those pointy ears don't pay for themselves. WhiIe I could probably come up with some Watsonian reason, the real reason is that it adds to the makeup budget and isn't really necessary. It's the same reason that in TOS, in Amok time and the two Romulan episodes, most of the Vulcans and Romulans were wearing helmets. They didn't have a lot of those ears to put on extras.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

piratepilates posted:

imagine having to work for the rear end in a top hat vulcan from the ds9 baseball episode. there's probably whole HR divisions of starfleet who work to make sure ships aren't going to mutiny from cross-cultural conflicts.

Why do you think it's a ship entirely crewed by rear end in a top hat Vulcans?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

The expression on Kira's face is... Well I don't want to say "a bit derpy" but it's the first phrase to come to mind.

Idk I didn't draw it I just post bullshit

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pick posted:

Idk I didn't draw it I just post bullshit

Then don't worry about it I guess

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

A modern cynical-fan take (so similar to takes like Worf is a weeaboo, there's so much personal conflict in the shows because Starfleet is largely a way for human utopia to kindly exile and give a constructive outlet to people with abrasive personalities and expansionist tendencies, etc.) is that most members of most species don't interact effectively for prolonged, close quarters circumstances, so Starfleet is largely many parallel species- or member-associated fleets. Individuals can and do request posts in ships predominantly staffed by other species, some ships are more diverse than others, and some species are more compatible than others (like humans and Vulcans). Why, then, do we see so many superlatives and titles placed on the human parts of Starfleet? It could be that "Flagship of the Federation" is a bit like "World's Best Burger," which would fit with why antagonists say it and similar lines so mockingly to the humans.

Or it could be that it's expensive to glue foam to people's heads.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Breakfast All Day posted:

It could be that "Flagship of the Federation" is a bit like "World's Best Burger," which would fit with why antagonists say it and similar lines so mockingly to the humans.

I don't remember that being delivered mockingly

THS
Sep 15, 2017

alien members of the federation allow humans to man the colossal death traps that constantly get blowed up by space anomalies and space madness because they think its funny

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Counterpoint: Most UFP Presidents are aliens

You've got this guy who's human:

But then you've got these guys:

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I'm kinda digging discovery. More so than picard. what's up with this defiant ship? Is it the same as ds9?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

zooted heh posted:

I'm kinda digging discovery. More so than picard. what's up with this defiant ship? Is it the same as ds9?

That's the one from the TOS episode "The Tholian Web" I think.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
that makes sense cuz I never seen tos. I always wondered why the terrain were so decimated in the ds9 mirror world and I'm glad discovery is kinda answering that. everyone in their universe joined to stop them lol.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Epicurius posted:

Those pointy ears don't pay for themselves. WhiIe I could probably come up with some Watsonian reason, the real reason is that it adds to the makeup budget and isn't really necessary. It's the same reason that in TOS, in Amok time and the two Romulan episodes, most of the Vulcans and Romulans were wearing helmets. They didn't have a lot of those ears to put on extras.

There is also the concern that what is comfortable the one species might not be comfortable to all of them, and they might not be a way to easily facilitate everyone. Vulcans are from a desert planet, perhaps a normal human spaceship isn't comfortable for them.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bogus Adventure posted:

But then you've got these guys:

You saying ancient chinese kung fu masters aren't human?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

happyhippy posted:

Clarence Boddicker was reincarnated as an Albino Klingon.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pick posted:

There is also the concern that what is comfortable the one species might not be comfortable to all of them, and they might not be a way to easily facilitate everyone. Vulcans are from a desert planet, perhaps a normal human spaceship isn't comfortable for them.

Poor Garak, trapped in a place that's too bright and cold for him. :(

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There's also that trope (that Enterprise embraced) that humans weren't the smartest or the strongest or the fastest or whatever, but what makes us unique is our cultural adaptability. It's probably a lot easier for a human to serve on any given Starfleet vessel, whether integrated or 80% a crewed by another race, than for any other race (except Bolians perhaps) to fit in as well.

Humans are the ones on the ships because they're the ones who don't go insane from multiculturalism. Most Vulcans (e.g.) can't handle it and can only go to space with the Vulcan Expeditionary Fleet or in one of Starfkeet's Vulcan-only ships, while you get people like Riker who are jazzed about serving aboard a ship full of Klingons!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Washout posted:

Those Kanar bottles are vintage chianti bottles, can get em for as low as $30 on ebay. Can't justify one right now but later after this poo poo is over maybe.

i found one that looks like two dicks and it made me think of klingons

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CH...6EAAOSw4jFbAwoA

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

happyhippy posted:

That's clearly a Kling-Fu master, you monster.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

zooted heh posted:

that makes sense cuz I never seen tos. I always wondered why the terrain were so decimated in the ds9 mirror world and I'm glad discovery is kinda answering that. everyone in their universe joined to stop them lol.

it doesn't, really. discovery is set before tos and their extended mirror universe wankfest didn't particularly correspond to the tos or ds9 versions.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I liked the mirror universe stuff in Disco :saddowns:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Remember its only 2 Vulcan generations since they found humans huddling around lit garbage cans after world war 3.
And in that time they took over and surpassed what they ever did in a fraction of the time.

They probably stay on their ships watching the human part Starfleet to see what they do next.
"They did WHAT?!! Beat TWO undefeatable quadrant spanning foes in 5 years?!?!"

Its a wonder most vulcans don't illogicality hulk rage out thinking about Starfleet.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 11, 2020

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've often wondered if humans might just be like, more numerous by a massive margin than most other galactic species. like the oft-cited number of bajorans killed is 15 million during a fifty year planetary occupation. by contrast, the Nazis murdered between 11-13 million people by occupying just half of a continent for, in most places, no more than 4 or so years. then on top of that you see alien cities and they're always spread-out paradises, like even feringinar has this sweeping open architecture for individual families that implies a much less economical use of space. that's doubly true for bajor and scenes set on vulcan in, like, ENT, where everything is broad thoroughfares and palatial family homes. same with the Klingon clan homes.

so like, the humans are emanating from this planet that probably had like 4 billion people immediately after WW3 and then ballooned to whatever the natural capacity of earth + innumerable colonies might be in a context unconstrained by material needs. logically that would mean humans would be sparsely populated too but we see most people in the federation depicted as at least having kids at the just-below-replacement kind of level of modern wealthy nations. that's a disparity that isn't really accounted for anywhere, but in my own little headcanon about the federation, it's just been that humans are this huge swarming mass and there are billions of us compared to like one billion bajorans / vulcans

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Humans are gently caress Species: The Species That Fucks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

politifact rates this as True

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

happyhippy posted:

Pei Mei captaining a star ship sounds pretty badass but at some point he's gonna come back to base with a ship full of dead crew because he killed all of them for various slights.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Danaru posted:

heck i mean with the pon farr i dont understand how vulcans aren't in constant decline.

then with races like the andorians, don't they live on a lovely ice moon? i feel like agricultural constraints would restrict population growth on an ice moon. at least pre replicator but then you have cultural things that discourage it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

lmao

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Captains Log, stardate 52235.2
Stuck my dick into an alien today.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

Captains Log, stardate 52235.2
Stuck my dick into an alien today.

There is that extremely weird thing in voyager where you have to ask the captain's permission to gently caress an alien, but if you were the captain, does that just get waived?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
buddy, they won't even let me gently caress the alien

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just these lackadaisical aliens with centuries-long lifespans puttering over to their nearest stellar neighbor to set up a colony because they felt the pressure of a whole billion people globally, and there's already a five-generation human settlement there.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
There’s a Tiptree short story which is literally that - the idea that humans are extremely exogamous and thus aliens drive them to uncontrollable horniness in the same way that a bird will go mad for a huge fake egg

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

There’s a Tiptree short story which is literally that - the idea that humans are extremely exogamous and thus aliens drive them to uncontrollable horniness in the same way that a bird will go mad for a huge fake egg

same

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why do you think it's a ship entirely crewed by rear end in a top hat Vulcans?

The captain was the only rear end in a top hat!

The rest of the crew were happily (well, for vulcans) socializing with the Niners after the game at Quark's.

It was literally just him. Captain's a dick, not much you can do about that as a loyal starfleet officer, they even did their best to be nice to him (well, for vulcans) by learning and playing baseball because it seemed important to him for some reason. Maybe they'll manage to rehabilitate his racist tendencies through the power of Sports and teamwork, given enough time.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Chief Medical Officer's Log, Supplemental...

Another day aboard the Explorer, another medical discovery, and another development courtesy of Human proclivities. I will never understand how Lieutenant Jones managed to contract Tholian chlamydia. The current theories behind medical science state that such a cross-species infection should be impossible, and yet...life finds a way. Fortunately for Jones, the bacterial infection is readily cured with antibiotics, and that distress to sexual organs can be treated with a protoplaser. Thanks to Jones' misfortune, I have another paper to submit to Starfleet Medical. I fear that they may begin to suspect that I have a unique interest in Human sexual practices, but I can only write about what I have experienced firsthand.

Note to self: I believe I can safely conclude that "charging crystals" is a colorful Human metaphor for copulation.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Just look at Enterprise. Tucker was pregnant with his own alien lovechild by the fifth episode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Frog Act posted:

I've often wondered if humans might just be like, more numerous by a massive margin than most other galactic species. like the oft-cited number of bajorans killed is 15 million during a fifty year planetary occupation. by contrast, the Nazis murdered between 11-13 million people by occupying just half of a continent for, in most places, no more than 4 or so years. then on top of that you see alien cities and they're always spread-out paradises, like even feringinar has this sweeping open architecture for individual families that implies a much less economical use of space. that's doubly true for bajor and scenes set on vulcan in, like, ENT, where everything is broad thoroughfares and palatial family homes. same with the Klingon clan homes.

so like, the humans are emanating from this planet that probably had like 4 billion people immediately after WW3 and then ballooned to whatever the natural capacity of earth + innumerable colonies might be in a context unconstrained by material needs. logically that would mean humans would be sparsely populated too but we see most people in the federation depicted as at least having kids at the just-below-replacement kind of level of modern wealthy nations. that's a disparity that isn't really accounted for anywhere, but in my own little headcanon about the federation, it's just been that humans are this huge swarming mass and there are billions of us compared to like one billion bajorans / vulcans

More headcanon: I chalk this up to Earth's two fairly unique features among the homeworlds of most major spacefaring powers: an enormous planetary ocean and a significant axial tilt. These two things create a major variance in climate across a relatively small habitable landmass, encouraging both strong adaptive pressures and constant competition for limited resources.

Kirk was right, it is the struggle that defines humnity. Once ancient Andorians or Vulcans or Klingons got far enough they'd find out that one part of the planet is pretty much like any other part. You seen one Vulcanian desert or Ferenginar rainforest, you've seen 'em all. But everywhere humans went there was something else we had to fight, deserts against towering mountains or jungles bisecting arid grassland and a planetwide ocean drowning over 2/3rds of the whole planet and carving up the land like a Christmas ham. Twice a year the seasons flip for most of the land and you have to deal with one extreme or the other, multiple orbital cycles regularly align to swing the entire climate between extremes of hot and cold, the continents are constantly eating and rebirthing each other -- and the humans voluntarily stay here, when the whole galaxy is theirs to choose from?

Compared to most other species' biospheres, with their stable planetary geology and consistent monoclimates and freely intermingling wildlife that keeps evolution nice and smooth, Earth's surface is a boiling pot of chaos that should've wiped itself out at least five times over by now. What, you mean it did and life there clawed back from the edge every time, including once by the humans themselves? What cursed underworld belched this demonic sphere into the cosmos?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arcsquad12 posted:

I assume there is a lot of low-key segregation in Starfleet, just based on environmental needs. Vulcans will be perpetually cold on a ship that maintains human standard climate, while Andorians will be roasting on the same ship. Cetatean Ops has to have a completely sealed off space for them to live and work. At least one of the novels had a Horta-crewed ship adapted to their preferences, which most humanoids would find uncomfortable. Vulcans think all humans have terrible BO. Benzites need special breathing gear to serve on standard Starfleet ships, which is likely uncomfortable and inconvenient compared to serving on Benzite majority ships with standard Benzite atmosphere. An environment that is just a little off from your species' ideal temperature, humidity, or light spectrum is going to be a drag.

So it's entirely possible, even likely, that there are many ships in the fleet with different environmental standards that host few or no human crew members. Could be that only 20% of ships have a human captain and mostly human crew, but those are the ones that always get shown on TV because TV.

THS posted:

alien members of the federation allow humans to man the colossal death traps that constantly get blowed up by space anomalies and space madness because they think its funny

Or this.

Danaru posted:

Also this.