Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkAhAzRbu_M

quote:

From the 9/20/2000 wCw Thunder

There's no typo folks, this could possibly be considered the 1st TNA match

Sting vs Steiner vs Jeff Jarrett with Jeremy Borash and Vince Russo on commentary and Booker T in "stingface"

Also Scott Steiner puts on a mask for unclear reasons just before the match starts

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The prestige of the title has nothing to do with its aesthetics.

A beautifully crafted work of art is more valuable than a poor one. Those thieves recognized this. That is why they lured Chris Jericho to the Longhorn Steakhouse.

Also I personally think the AEW title is more inspired by the UFC title than the big gold belt. Maybe with some inspiration from boxing or some older titles with the sizing of the plates.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

overmind2000 posted:

Also Scott Steiner puts on a mask for unclear reasons just before the match starts

I'm glad I had no memory of any of this

Vince Russo sucks so fuckin' bad it sometimes is unbelievable

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

overmind2000 posted:

I think Scott had legit busted something in his face recently, like an orbital bone or something

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

overmind2000 posted:

Anytime I think of WCW, I always imagine the heyday of 97-98; this video really hits home with how bad business got. Look at that crowd, the arena, and the entrance ramp.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm glad I had no memory of any of this

Vince Russo sucks so fuckin' bad it sometimes is unbelievable

I have been watching some early TNA during quarantine. It's incredible really how decent to good shows are, then Russo shows up to dog poo poo over everything.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anytime I think of WCW, I always imagine the heyday of 97-98; this video really hits home with how bad business got. Look at that crowd, the arena, and the entrance ramp.

Yeah late WCW just looks trashy AF. New Blood Rising looks like they're using maybe 1/10th of the venue.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuhEQU7-rEQ

This makes me to see a video every time Luger put someone in the torture rack starting from his debut as The Total Package

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 6, 2020

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Torture Rack loving owned

and it was pretty easy to put unsuspecting siblings/friends into it

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It is amazing how the 96-98 time period had so much good/entertaining stuff packed into it that it overshadows the years of garbage before and after it

I think the excitement of the monday night wars and poo poo like nitro parties and wrestling being 'cool' to talk about with people at school etc had alot to do with how rose tinted the glasses get too

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It is amazing how the 96-98 time period had so much good/entertaining stuff packed into it that it overshadows the years of garbage before and after it

I think the excitement of the monday night wars and poo poo like nitro parties and wrestling being 'cool' to talk about with people at school etc had alot to do with how rose tinted the glasses get too

It also helped the main eventers in both companies were presented as stars, instead of being lucky to have a job like nowadays

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1248627103555346432

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
You can't deny historical facts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Leslie is right about 99% of things but ECW was very bad in 2000.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Leslie is right about 99% of things but ECW was very bad in 2000.

Yes but Corino was a highlight in a largely bad product

I tuned in for him, Tanaka, and Tajiri

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 11, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

something about steve corino's lovely blonde dye job and lovely facial hair and lovely gear speaks to me on a fundamental level

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yes but Corino was a highlight in a largely bad product

I tuned in for him, Tanaka, and Tajiri

They really botched him with the new Tommy Dreamer thing.

And then almost two decades later we got Eddie Edwards as the new Tommy Dreamer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alaois posted:

something about steve corino's lovely blonde dye job and lovely facial hair and lovely gear speaks to me on a fundamental level

As it did to CM Punk. When I first saw him, I thought he was a Corino cosplayer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CM Punk smiling seems like such a foreign concept now.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

CM Punk smiling seems like such a foreign concept now.

I dunno, he seems pretty happy

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't know what the tweet is referring to exactly but as much as I enjoy WCW, it was really, really bad at times. You cannot tell me that New Blood Rising is better than Summerslam, or whichever PPV was closer.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I don't know what the tweet is referring to exactly but as much as I enjoy WCW, it was really, really bad at times. You cannot tell me that New Blood Rising is better than Summerslam, or whichever PPV was closer.

I know Russo is an easy target but he really did take an already-declining product and immediately make it unwatchable. Pre-Russo WCW was uneven but worthwhile overall. Russo's WCW was some of the worst TV I have ever watched.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

I know Russo is an easy target but he really did take an already-declining product and immediately make it unwatchable. Pre-Russo WCW was uneven but worthwhile overall. Russo's WCW was some of the worst TV I have ever watched.

I'm sorry but you didn't watch pre Russo WCW 1999 if you think it was worthwhile overall. The summer of 1999 is one of the worst products EVER. Kevin Nash's booking made the show complete torture to watch from hours without wrestling to masturbatory runs for him and his friends to just horrible idea after horrible idea. The only watchable thing in that summer is a feud based upon two wrestlers trying to put poop on each other (The Great Poop Feud of 99) and its sequel where Dennis Rodman and the Macho Man tried to get each other in the poop (Poop Feud 2.)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I'm sorry but you didn't watch pre Russo WCW 1999 if you think it was worthwhile overall. The summer of 1999 is one of the worst products EVER. Kevin Nash's booking made the show complete torture to watch from hours without wrestling to masturbatory runs for him and his friends to just horrible idea after horrible idea. The only watchable thing in that summer is a feud based upon two wrestlers trying to put poop on each other (The Great Poop Feud of 99) and its sequel where Dennis Rodman and the Macho Man tried to get each other in the poop (Poop Feud 2.)

Well, I guess I've been sold on listening to the Monumental Podcast now.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

karmicknight posted:

Well, I guess I've been sold on listening to the Monumental Podcast now.

if it helps just picture MRT lying on his stomach getting a massage while you're scrambling to find a payphone

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I feel like I need to show Great American Bash 99 again to prove a point.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

if it helps just picture MRT lying on his stomach getting a massage while you're scrambling to find a payphone

raaaaaaaaaaandy

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

raaaaaaaaaaandy

YEAHHHH, RANDY YEAH.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
FLAVORS

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

rujasu posted:

Russo was an improvement when he arrived. Not because he was good. But because the product had gotten that bad.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Russo was an improvement when he arrived. Not because he was good. But because the product had gotten that bad.

this is also true and it's also true that improvement lasted for all of a week before it took an even steeper nosedive with his world title tournament

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Yeah I watched plenty of WCW in 1999, like I said, it was already declining rapidly, but at no point was Russo an improvement over any of it. WCW took a steep dive in December of 1998 and then an even steeper one in late '99 when Russo took over.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I feel like I need to show Great American Bash 99 again to prove a point.

Please do this. I miss WCW so much.

I know I'll take that back should I ever re-watch that show but I miss WCW so much.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

SLUM KING posted:

Please do this. I miss WCW so much.

I know I'll take that back should I ever re-watch that show but I miss WCW so much.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I feel like Nitro would get better ratings than current Raw if the WWE started airing old episodes in place of the empty arena shows they're currently producing

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ok you freakin' psychopaths, for one night only Tuesday Nitro is back with Great American Bash 99 on Tuesday.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
joke's on you; i actually love being mentally scarred by one perfectly awful wrestling show. and my mouth isn't filled with bloodm, it's victory wine

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

Wasn't the the "ROCK BOTTOM IN THE DOG POOP" match going on in WWF around the same time?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I get making GBS threads on Russo and he deserves all the poo poo you can throw at him, but Nash intentionally ran the 3 hour nitros with nothing but backstage and video packages for the entire 1st hour on more than a few shows. Russo's bullshit is also terrible but it's terrible while usually also having matches. Nash's booking is exactly what you expected of Nash, put yourself over with the least effort possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't the the "ROCK BOTTOM IN THE DOG POOP" match going on in WWF around the same time?

THE DOG POOP! THE DOG POOP!