Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A cursory google search shows that that's entirely false.

A former BCR employee who may have been Baskin's boyfriend(?) evidently petitioned for a restraining order against Baskin after she allegedly threatened to "kick his rear end out of there".

This petition was rejected by a circuit judge due to "no facts of violence or specific credible threat of imminent fear".

The failed petition has evidently been promoted as evidence against Baskin by a UK tabloid and "BCRWatch", a conspiracy/stalking website similar to the ones Joe Exotic was running.

With all the sensationalism, you'd think people would be more careful.

Well if be glad to be wrong, that would just make her totally the hero

And no I won't ever be careful, you can't make me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Clerks is fine, the first 20 minutes of Chasing Amy are great ("what's a nubian?"), Mallrats is decent-ish, the animated Clerks show was great, everything else he's done is mega-trash.

Tusk and Jay and Silent Bob Reboot are absolutely two of the worst movies I've watched to completion.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh, I guess Dogma was okay too, but I haven't seen it in over a decade and I bet it has aged terribly

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Dogma was enjoyable when I was 17. Idk about now.

loving Red State, Tusk, and any version of Jay & Silent Bob all stink.

Actually one of his better movies since Clerks is probably Jersey Girl in that it’s just a mediocre movie about a single dad. It’s not great by any means, but it’s watchable and hard to poo poo on it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I just picked up the 30 day free trial of shudder, any recommendations

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Frog Act posted:

The new Creepshow series. It's not Black Mirror, but it's fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

beanieson posted:

Dogma was enjoyable when I was 17. Idk about now.

loving Red State, Tusk, and any version of Jay & Silent Bob all stink.

Actually one of his better movies since Clerks is probably Jersey Girl in that it’s just a mediocre movie about a single dad. It’s not great by any means, but it’s watchable and hard to poo poo on it.

I forgot about Jersey Girl, yeah it's just a bland movie, not aggressively terrible like the Jay and Silent Bob movies...

....oh my god, there's a loving Jay and Silent Bob trilogy at this point, isn't there. Oh Jeez.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Frog Act posted:

Of the stuff I've watched:

Classics:
Bride of Re-Animator
Creepshow 2
Escape From New York
Halloween
Phantasm 1-3
The Changeling
The Exorcist
The Fog

Good Anthology:
VHS 2
Body Bags
The House that Dripped Blood

Fun Schlock:
Blood Rage
Chopping Mall
Dog Soldiers
Jack Frost
Still/Born
Summer of '84*

Gems, Old and New:
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night*
Audition
Christmas Evil*
Exorcist 3
Maniac*
November
One Cut of The Dead
In The Mouth of Madness*
Society
Train to Busan

Weird and Wonderful:
Tammy & The T-Rex*
Tetsuo The Iron Man
Liquid Sky*
Mandy*

Docs and Non-Horror:
King Cohen
Pusher
Threads

I love Shudder, I use it about as often as Hulu and HBO. They must have just taken them off, but they had the Dead or Alive and Battles Without Honor or Humanity movies series and those are excellent. They get a lot of good international horror each month. If you're limited on time and haven't seen any of them, at least watch the Classics and any of the others with a * next to the title. I'm not a giallo guy though, so maybe someone else here can suggest some of those titles.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The goon hate boner for Kevin Smith never ceases to amaze me.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Field Mousepad posted:

His Batman comic is also dooky.
How was his comic show?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Field Mousepad posted:

I don't think disliking lovely movies is exclusive to goons, nor do I think anyone in here hates him. He seems like a cool enough dude to smoke a bowl with, but so does Adam Sandler, doesn't make his movies any better

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Yeah, I don’t hate him as a person or anything. I haven’t seen it in years but remember really enjoying his stand up/one man show An Evening With Kevin Smith, where he just told cool Hollywood stories.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The story he tells about writing a Superman movie is pretty great

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I know it is old now but I just rewatched End of the loving World since my girlfriend never saw it and just wanted to say that if you missed it a few years ago it is definitely worth a watch. I actually appreciated it more the second time especially season two and how it focused on how the characters dealt with trauma.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tainen posted:

I know it is old now but I just rewatched End of the loving World since my girlfriend never saw it and just wanted to say that if you missed it a few years ago it is definitely worth a watch. I actually appreciated it more the second time especially season two and how it focused on how the characters dealt with trauma.

Yeah that is such good poo poo. Was sad it didn't really blow up

I just watched Game Night expecting it to be "okay" and it's actually really good. Bateman, McAdams and Coach Taylor especially are fun in it

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

precision posted:

He seems like a cool enough dude to smoke a bowl with
Gonna have to call this into question.
He probably smells and he'd probably just ramble about stupid bullshit for children.
Like i could go find the weird gross guy who hangs around comic book stores and blaze up with them but i dont for a reason.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

precision posted:

I just watched Game Night expecting it to be "okay" and it's actually really good. Bateman, McAdams and Coach Taylor especially are fun in it

The End of the loving World got a second season :shrug:

Not blown up. I liken it to OA which also got a second season and mixed viewer reviews.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Apparently I had never seen all of Dirty Harry before because a lot of it was new to me. What an insanely fascist movie. I had rewatched The Naked Gun last week so a lot of the DH scenes were hard to even take seriously.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

The End of the loving World got a second season :shrug:

Not blown up. I liken it to OA which also got a second season and mixed viewer reviews.

I recall the first season being pretty popular. Apparently it was originally shown on a UK network and didn’t receive much attention, but then got a lot of press once it got on Netflix. But I thought the second season was a letdown and unnecessary to make in the first place, so I just sort of forgot about it. Based on the reviews I read it seems like that’s a pretty common opinion.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

wizardofloneliness posted:

I recall the first season being pretty popular. Apparently it was originally shown on a UK network and didn’t receive much attention, but then got a lot of press once it got on Netflix. But I thought the second season was a letdown and unnecessary to make in the first place, so I just sort of forgot about it. Based on the reviews I read it seems like that’s a pretty common opinion.

First: :wrong:
Second: Season 2 has a 91% rating on rottentomatoes (whatever that means)
Third: Season 2 is fantastic and is necessary because its all about Alyssa dealing with the trauma that she went through in season one and was left unresolved.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 12, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Second season of EFW was fine but definitely unnecessary. S1 was awesome and one of the few shows that lives up to it's trailer.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Like i could go find the weird gross guy who hangs around comic book stores and blaze up with them but i dont for a reason.

That reason being they wouldn’t want to hang with you

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

david_a posted:

Apparently I had never seen all of Dirty Harry before because a lot of it was new to me. What an insanely fascist movie. I had rewatched The Naked Gun last week so a lot of the DH scenes were hard to even take seriously.

Yeah, it's pretty weird now to watch Dirty Harry in a post-War on Drugs era. It's like something from another dimension.

Same with West Wing now - feels like it was sent straight from the Elemental Plane of Naivete

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

david_a posted:

Apparently I had never seen all of Dirty Harry before because a lot of it was new to me. What an insanely fascist movie.

I love how they give two scenes of people saying "Now you know why they call him Dirty Harry. :smuggo:."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

precision posted:

The story he tells about writing a Superman movie is pretty great

Only this.

Otherwise he loving sucks

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Of the stuff I've watched:

Classics:
Bride of Re-Animator
Creepshow 2
Escape From New York
Halloween
Phantasm 1-3
The Changeling
The Exorcist
The Fog

Good Anthology:
VHS 2
Body Bags
The House that Dripped Blood

Fun Schlock:
Blood Rage
Chopping Mall
Dog Soldiers
Jack Frost
Still/Born
Summer of '84*

Gems, Old and New:
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night*
Audition
Christmas Evil*
Exorcist 3
Maniac*
November
One Cut of The Dead
In The Mouth of Madness*
Society
Train to Busan

Weird and Wonderful:
Tammy & The T-Rex*
Tetsuo The Iron Man
Liquid Sky*
Mandy*

Docs and Non-Horror:
King Cohen
Pusher
Threads

I'd like to add Cursed Films to this list. It's a documentary series about horror movies with a reputation for troubled productions and, in some cases, a supernatural influence that extends beyond the film. It could've been a sensationalist Ghost Hunter mess, but it's a very reasoned and skeptical show that tries to debunk the notion that there's anything paranormal around these films.

It's a new series and there are only three episodes at the moment (The Exorcist, The Omen, and Poltergeist), but I'm giving it a recommendation based on what little I've seen so far.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

sponges posted:

That reason being they wouldn’t want to hang with you
OHHH DAMMMN OHHHHHHH DAAAAAAAAAMN

😂

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

precision posted:

the animated Clerks show was great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeyU7uVOTic&t=34s

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Inspector Hound posted:

Well if be glad to be wrong, that would just make her totally the hero

And no I won't ever be careful, you can't make me

Guys in the doc say it's suspicious that his will has "on death or disappearance" but he was diagnosed with dementia shortly before he disappeared, and if anyone's gonna disappear suddenly and never turn up, it's an eccentric millionaire with dementia who collects big cats and flies planes.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I thought Tiger King was an enjoyable look into the life of an egomaniac but I agree that the treatment of Baskins was it's biggest failure. The evidence against her is based on some pretty big assumptions and are coming from the most unreliable people imagineable who are extremely biased.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

precision posted:

Clerks is fine, the first 20 minutes of Chasing Amy are great ("what's a nubian?"), Mallrats is decent-ish, the animated Clerks show was great, everything else he's done is mega-trash.

The Clerks Animated show was also the start of the persecution complex he carries around to today. Clerks Animated was a contractual obligation forced on ABC by Smith and Weinstein as part of the terms for Miramax dumping Dogma at Disney's request. Smith spends a good chunk of the commentary tracks for Clerks talking about how no one in Hollywood respects him and it was an artistic travesty that his show was canceled after two episodes but Family Guy gets an Emmy nod(before getting canceled after 12 episodes. )

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

precision posted:

game night is weird because the result is how movies SHOULD work and rarely do. Compare it to something like Date Night which is largely the same, except Game Night is legitimately enjoyable.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Watched Blow Out on Pluto TV. It's an old Brian De Palma flick about an audio engineer for a lovely horror movie company who accidentally records a suspicious car accident that leaves a prominent politician dead while he's out recording sounds for a movie he's working on. There's a handful of things wrong with it, but as a whole that movie still holds up incredibly loving well. Approaching the Noir mystery story from the perspective of an audio engineer is such an inspired choice and I absolutely loved when the movie got into the nitty gritty of the audio editing and investigation process. It also has one hell of a loving ending.

I've been liking Pluto TV quite a bit. There's a lot of lovely channels to sift through if you miss channel surfing and a handful of pretty decent channels like the dedicated MST3K channel. I've been watching the old 80's Poirot movies on there as well which are available on demand, which are a lot more racist than I remember, but still enjoyable whodunnits. Unfortunately the movie I dowoaded the service to watch, Dredd, is only available in spanish for some reason, but I'm probably gonna keep using it anyways.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mastershakeman posted:

game night is weird because the result is how movies SHOULD work and rarely do. Compare it to something like Date Night which is largely the same, except Game Night is legitimately enjoyable.

Yeah it's like, "what if The Hangover but actually funny" and I just know it was pitched as a Hangover-like with the ~zany plot~ and all.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

tweet my meat posted:

Watched Blow Out on Pluto TV. It's an old Brian De Palma flick about an audio engineer for a lovely horror movie company who accidentally records a suspicious car accident that leaves a prominent politician dead while he's out recording sounds for a movie he's working on. There's a handful of things wrong with it, but as a whole that movie still holds up incredibly loving well. Approaching the Noir mystery story from the perspective of an audio engineer is such an inspired choice and I absolutely loved when the movie got into the nitty gritty of the audio editing and investigation process. It also has one hell of a loving ending.

I've been liking Pluto TV quite a bit. There's a lot of lovely channels to sift through if you miss channel surfing and a handful of pretty decent channels like the dedicated MST3K channel. I've been watching the old 80's Poirot movies on there as well which are available on demand, which are a lot more racist than I remember, but still enjoyable whodunnits. Unfortunately the movie I dowoaded the service to watch, Dredd, is only available in spanish for some reason, but I'm probably gonna keep using it anyways.

Blow Out is really good. A pro watch for sure.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

Pluto TV has some really cool programming and since they've stopped airing anti-healthcare propaganda ads nonstop it's been a lot more tolerable. I've caught a lot of campy old horror movies I otherwise would never have seen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I thought all those free HBO shows would be on the HBO app, but I think they put them on Hulu. I'm watching McMillions right now and goddamn I'm having some pavlovian urges for McDonald's food.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Considering you have to pay for Hulu, I'm extremely confused.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HBO put some movies and shows free on their app.

I noticed some of them on Hulu. I didn't feel like downloading another app, and I'm already paying for Hulu, so whatever, this is convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And if you have Comcast/Xfinity, Epix, Showtime and HBO are all free right now on demand