Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DLC Inc posted:

2) Do I ever get to have more than like 5 materia slots on a character? I'm at chapter 6 or 7 right now.

I'm not sure how many you can eventually get, but there are weapons you get with more materia slots (both initially and through upgrading) than that, and there are armor pieces that have at least 4 materia slots. So I could see it being like ~9-10 slots per character by the end.

Sakurazuka posted:

That's absolutely doesn't matter in the slightest, even the barest minimum of 'whoops we lost all our materia' excuse would work because it's a videogame. The Trails of Cold Steel games just escalate power constantly and no one does anything but shrug and go 'yeah we made improved orbal devices'.

Yeah narratively the stats don't mean anything anyway, they're just a means to an end (an interesting tactical experience for the player).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DLC Inc posted:

2 questions, if possible to give nonspoilery answers:

1) How many summons are in the game?
2) Do I ever get to have more than like 5 materia slots on a character? I'm at chapter 6 or 7 right now.

1) A loving bunch, some are preorder DLC but the majority of them are done through Chadley and his battle reports. Here's a list of them all

Ifrit, Chocobo & Mog, Shiva, Fat Chocobo, Leviathan, Bahamut are the unlockable ones. Carbuncle, Cactuar and Chocobo Chick are preorder/special edition ones

2) Yes

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I do wonder how they'll handle summons between games. If we assume all of your materia gets stolen by a dirty ninja, will you get back the main ones? Will the less well known ones be replaced by new ones unique to each part?

Not getting at least Ifrit and Shiva back would feel wrong.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You'll probably just have to find/earn them again because who cares

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kn... Knuckles? What are you doing here?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The game ends up being in three parts, so first part is Bahamut, second Neo Bahamut, third Bahamut 0

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You start Part 2 and Vincent and Yuffie are just in your party. There is no explanation given, they just are. The first time you meet them in the overworld proper the rest of the party acts like they've never met, despite starting the game with them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

exquisite tea posted:

Kn... Knuckles? What are you doing here?

oh no

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vincent will only be available as a party member m if you have a completed save of Dirge of Cerberus.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Does Regen not work with Magnify? I could have sworn it did initially, but now it isn't, even though Cure and Curaga are.

Edit: nevermind, either the final boss of train graveyard's arena was too big or I just wasn't looking closely enough...the buff is minimized on players you aren't controlling

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 12, 2020

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I have one important question about this game.

Does Tifa's bar have the pinball machine, and can you play it?

I liked that sorta-pinball game you could play in FF15.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

LadyPictureShow posted:

I have one important question about this game.

Does Tifa's bar have the pinball machine, and can you play it?

I liked that sorta-pinball game you could play in FF15.

It does have the pinball machine, you cannot play it. But there's a playable dart board next to it, if you're into that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Anyone have the name of the combat music when you first enter the streets of midgar after the first reactor?

That poo poo is an absolute banger!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really like how this world is clearly a pre-industrial world that suddenly had a shitload of energy and technological progress thrust upon it in a short period of time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

stev posted:

I do wonder how they'll handle summons between games. If we assume all of your materia gets stolen by a dirty ninja, will you get back the main ones? Will the less well known ones be replaced by new ones unique to each part?

Not getting at least Ifrit and Shiva back would feel wrong.

You'll lose them all and then Chadley will develop new, fancier versions of Ifrit and Shiva for you to unlock

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Harrow posted:

You'll lose them all and then Chadley will develop new, fancier versions of Ifrit and Shiva for you to unlock

You've got Fire materia, sure, but check out this Fire 2 materia

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

Ifrit ZERO

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chadley is a young Kadaj.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I've gotten to Aerith and so far the game is really good, but the interpretation of Reno seems entirely different than the original game, and just blatantly wrong. Instead of being a calm and collected mafia guy, he's a wild and crazy hothead? He feels more in line with that new motorcycle guy then an already established character.

Also, Aerith said the 's' word, I think she'll be alright.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Reno looks and acts just like he did in Advent Children. Same with Rude and his extra pair of sunglasses.

Game owns. The message seems to be that edgy try hard dorks should get a personality, and talk to girls. A real coming of age for a man in his early twenties.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The Skeleton King posted:

Sounds good. I was roadblocked by a pair of flamethrowers and missile turrets and had no idea how to do anything about it.

I'm midway through Chapter Eight and that flamethrower encounter remains the only GAME OVER (several times in a row) I've had. In an earlier FF game I'd open up with magic, etc, but you need to get in there to build up ATB points. Frustrating! I'm getting better with the combat but still feel like I don't have enough control at times...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quinton posted:

I'm midway through Chapter Eight and that flamethrower encounter remains the only GAME OVER (several times in a row) I've had. In an earlier FF game I'd open up with magic, etc, but you need to get in there to build up ATB points. Frustrating! I'm getting better with the combat but still feel like I don't have enough control at times...

You can always use the ATB Boost materia to start with 1-2 filled slots if you like opening up with magic burst.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Momomo posted:

So I've gotten to Aerith and so far the game is really good, but the interpretation of Reno seems entirely different than the original game, and just blatantly wrong. Instead of being a calm and collected mafia guy, he's a wild and crazy hothead? He feels more in line with that new motorcycle guy then an already established character.

Also, Aerith said the 's' word, I think she'll be alright.

Reno acts more like his AC counter part so it's not too far out there.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think that’s the “you’ve assessed this” icon.

No, that's the magnifying glass. I mean the symbol that's in addition to it on some entries.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok so what the gently caress is the deal with (Ch.13 summon) Leviathan. I can never do enough to stagger his tidal wave and it doesn’t 1-shot me i burn everything i have getting everyone else back up just for it to do it again or just goes off flying (and immune) while 3 tornadoes gently caress around in the arena?

What are the loving objectives in this fight? How do I deal with any of this? I even switched to magic defense since assess shows most/all of its attack are magic but I’m still getting destroyed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ok so what the gently caress is the deal with (Ch.13 summon) Leviathan. I can never do enough to stagger his tidal wave and it doesn’t 1-shot me i burn everything i have getting everyone else back up just for it to do it again or just goes off flying (and immune) while 3 tornadoes gently caress around in the arena?

What are the loving objectives in this fight? How do I deal with any of this? I even switched to magic defense since assess shows most/all of its attack are magic but I’m still getting destroyed.

Use Manaward to reduce incoming damage.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Reno got some of Axel recursively added into him, should've kept Quinton Flynn as his voice actor.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Wall Market here I come!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Reno’s new VA is doing his best Christian Slater impersonation and I’m all about it.

Also...Aerith deflecting how she knew Cloud was a merc. :tinfoil:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Oh my god the music that plays while Tifa and Aerith are rampaging through Corneo's house is so awesome

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Did anyone get a strong PSO Battle Music vibe in the tunnels at the start of Chapter 9? This game is making me nostalgic for other games now!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

uhh think i missed the elemental materia im on chapter 11 where is it?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I love all the small details in this game.

Chapter 9 Spoilers
The announcers during the arena fights were hilarious, but I was completely taken by surprise during the Hell House fight when they had an unique callout when I summoned Shiva.

So loving cool.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Oh my god the music that plays while Tifa and Aerith are rampaging through Corneo's house is so awesome

The cutscene of them beating the thugs owned, I laughed out loud when Aerith went full pro wrestling with a kick to the nuts followed by a steel chair to the head, her character is so good in this

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Just beat the Hell House. I am a fan of all the boss fights so far. There is absolutely no phoning it in. Every boss is like Materia Keeper ir Carry Armor level.

A cool way to introduce Yuffie in 2 years, would be to start a chapter playing as her on her own, and you are setting up camps in the forest and robbing people who come through, until the party finally comes along.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm running through the slums right now after the church stuff, and the environment art looks... rough. Like it's not loading in completely. I'm running on a regular PS4 and not a pro so I dunno if that makes a difference but the game hasn't looked like this up to this point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ymgve posted:

No, that's the magnifying glass. I mean the symbol that's in addition to it on some entries.

That means they're part of a Chadley quest

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Macaluso posted:

I'm running through the slums right now after the church stuff, and the environment art looks... rough. Like it's not loading in completely. I'm running on a regular PS4 and not a pro so I dunno if that makes a difference but the game hasn't looked like this up to this point.

I think there are some pop-in issues but I also think (I'm not as far as you so can't speak to that stuff) that they are going for more macro-detail than micro-detail. The world absorbed as a whole is gorgeous but they clearly didn't put much time into making detailed textures for the more small-scale stuff.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

godamn some of the normal fights in this game are way harder than the boss fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sakurazuka posted:

That's absolutely doesn't matter in the slightest, even the barest minimum of 'whoops we lost all our materia' excuse would work because it's a videogame. The Trails of Cold Steel games just escalate power constantly and no one does anything but shrug and go 'yeah we made improved orbal devices'.

Just start game 2 with Yuffie stealing all your poo poo as soon as you leave Midgar, duh.