Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Galewolf posted:

Went out to my Turkish market to get some groceries and boy it seems like everyone is out of fucks to give about social distancing and quarantine. Burgess Park was packed with people just reading books on the benches, doing yoga and running in groups. There was a long line in front of Tesco and everything else was closed, still too many people out there.

The weather in London is amazing today which makes me all :smith: about things but I have a backlog of Infinity Engine games (BG 1&2, IWD 1&2, PS:T) and my gf made an amazing minted lamb with roast potatoes.

quote:

A new study examining air samples from hospital wards with COVID-19 patients has found the virus can travel up to 13 feet (four meters) -- twice the distance current guidelines say people should leave between themselves in public.

The preliminary results of the investigation by Chinese researchers were published Friday in Emerging Infectious Diseases, a journal of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
the people of the western suburbs of Sheffield seem to being pretty good today, all weekend really. almost all the shops are shut today and people are only out and about for their daily exercise, lots of people running (me included), biking or out for a walk with the kids but very little lingering, no picnics or anything in the parks, minimal bench sitting etc. a few folks seemed to be doing "social distance visiting" where they stand 6 feet from their loved one's front door for 20 minutes for a chat which isn't ideal, though to be fair most are standing a fair bit further back or talking through a crack in a window. Very few cars parked up at the various beauty spots and parks I pass while running, which is good and little traffic on the roads

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Some people I know kicking off on Facebook because they were told by police to go home after they drove 20 miles to go surfing earlier.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Fatkraken posted:

the people of the western suburbs of Sheffield seem to being pretty good today, all weekend really. almost all the shops are shut today and people are only out and about for their daily exercise, lots of people running (me included), biking or out for a walk with the kids but very little lingering, no picnics or anything in the parks, minimal bench sitting etc. a few folks seemed to be doing "social distance visiting" where they stand 6 feet from their loved one's front door for 20 minutes for a chat which isn't ideal, though to be fair most are standing a fair bit further back or talking through a crack in a window. Very few cars parked up at the various beauty spots and parks I pass while running, which is good and little traffic on the roads

This is because everyone as one decided to ride bikes from Rother Valley to Chesterfield and back again ☹️

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Well we just hit 10,000 deaths:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52264145

That's only counting deaths reported to the Department for Health, as well.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

i am harry posted:

A new study examining air samples from hospital wards with COVID-19 patients has found the virus can travel up to 13 feet (four meters) -- twice the distance current guidelines say people should leave between themselves in public.

The preliminary results of the investigation by Chinese researchers were published Friday in Emerging Infectious Diseases, a journal of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

There is a nice girl by the counter and she takes my orders in the morning and lets me know when they are ready so I can collect from the back door (:heysexy:) instead of getting inside which is the best I can do given the circumstances but yeah people should stay away from each other more.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the london weather is phenomenal and alllll of lambeth's out enjoying it

it's fine i'm sure there's nothing to wo

Southwark, rip :smith:

Get back inside you filthy hipsters and art students :argh:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Some people I know kicking off on Facebook because they were told by police to go home after they drove 20 miles to go surfing earlier.

https://twitter.com/mike55213/status/1249195700275023882

That's a 200 mile journey. Each way.

vdarknight
Jul 4, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

It got Tim Brooke-Taylor :smith:

Yeah. That is awful.
ISIHAC will have to make mention, with an inappropriate song, obviously.
It's what he would have wanted - tho' I'm pretty sure he'd rather not be dead.
But.
gently caress, man - Tim's dead. This sucks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Galewolf posted:

Went out to my Turkish market to get some groceries and boy it seems like everyone is out of fucks to give about social distancing and quarantine. Burgess Park was packed with people just reading books on the benches, doing yoga and running in groups. There was a long line in front of Tesco and everything else was closed, still too many people out there.

The weather in London is amazing today which makes me all :smith: about things but I have a backlog of Infinity Engine games (BG 1&2, IWD 1&2, PS:T) and my gf made an amazing minted lamb with roast potatoes.

proof that southerners are the cause of all the UKs problems imo

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Jose posted:

I don't know your circumstances mate but living in London myself: I don't have a garden, in fact I live below street level with windows above eye height. In my normal work I'm spending hours on my feet moving. If I don't get outside in the sun for a bit every day I'm not going to make it through this okay.

Yeah, there's plenty of people taking the piss right now but I really would appreciate it if you considered what it's like when your domicile is a semi subterranean sweat box. Maybe your situation is similar and you're just better at handling it than me, but I really need to get out of here an hour a day.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I live in Newcastle and it's quite pleasant everyone is nice and while going out too much adhering to social distancing

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I am grateful as gently caress I live within walking distance of miles of beach, all you guys who are stuck in subterranean flats and stuff, please make sure you take care of your mental health as much as you can.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Jose posted:

Is there a North in England? :smuggo:

Joking aside, London is pretty much a grossly expensive prison right now but once this is over I'd still be one of those people gushing about the whole thing making people from the north roll their eyes. I'm just sad that I squandered my time in sweaty Brixton parties and didn't get to see actual North (Birmingham is midlands, right?) which I will remedy asap.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

speaking as someone from the north currently attempting to social distance in a gardenless london flat, don't bother. jose's just trying to feel better about living where he does

the problem with the yoofs in lahndan failing to do anything even remotely resembling responsible behaviour is that they're just so easy to dislike, because they are complete dickheads. this distracts from the actual problem, which was and is the right's constant attempts to kneecap the NHS and this government's pathetic response to pandemic warnings

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Jose posted:

Not all southerners live in London. You could be like me and live in a spacious three bedroom house in leafy surrey with a huge garden

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Not all southerners live in London. You could be like me and live in a spacious three bedroom house in leafy surrey with a huge garden

Hmm seems like your deserve to lose your job and possessions op

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well he's currently jobless so, y'know

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

No, I got my job back in the end

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

oh cool

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah looks like I get to keep my massive house after all

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm not really sure what you're trying to do here. is this bragging?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Aren't you

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Nice ninja edit

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I do feel for everyone without a garden, it must be so much worse.

Maybe after this is over people will reconsider their priorities and move out of overpriced cities where it’s not even really affordable to rent, let alone own a place with a garden.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

doubtful, for a large variety of reasons

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

wooger posted:

Maybe after this is over people will reconsider their priorities and move out of overpriced cities where it’s not even really affordable to rent, let alone own a place with a garden.

I have 2 mortgages on the same apartment lol.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I live in a council house and for the first time in my life find myself in a more enviable and stable living situation than the entirety of the middle class.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I'm so booored. I can't focus on anything, not books, not movies, I'm chaining tv but it's just sliding off my brain. I had so many plans of what I would do with my free time and I'm just a vegetable.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I wasted this whole week doing gently caress all. I could cry I'm so frustrated with my own laziness. The flats a poo poo pit and needs a flamethrower and I can't even paint a fuckin wall.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sloth Life posted:

I'm so booored. I can't focus on anything, not books, not movies, I'm chaining tv but it's just sliding off my brain. I had so many plans of what I would do with my free time and I'm just a vegetable.

It seems paradoxical, but the more time you have, the less you do.

I've caught myself taking mid-afternoon naps on the sofa, yet I have literal boxes of crap that I either need to dump or eBay.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sloth Life posted:

I wasted this whole week doing gently caress all. I could cry I'm so frustrated with my own laziness. The flats a poo poo pit and needs a flamethrower and I can't even paint a fuckin wall.

try living up to your username, op. you don't need to get anything done, and time spent not endangering others during a global pandemic is time well spent.

being penned in is not great for mental health or productivity. it isn't a problem with you, it is a problem inherent in the situation and it's not something that's gonna change for a while

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Someone did plague maths and for every week you stay in you save 18 lives.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

learnincurve posted:

Unfortunately it's the same 18 every time, and one of them is Boris Johnson.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

wooger posted:

for a long time it was pretty much impossible to build on green sites and then 2008 happened. since the 80s population has been increasing faster than the number of households.

people have been moving out of london as fast as houses are being built for 40 years. now planning is much more relaxed the jobs might start moving out as well.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

learnincurve posted:

It's a really weird feeling to know that sitting on my rear end, eating chocolate and watching youtube is actually the correct thing to do.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Germany: We're having a lockdown, here's a list of specific rules to follow, here are the exact reasons you can leave the house, here is the distance you can stay from people, here are guidelines for all businesses to follow.

Britain: We're having a lockdown, if your nan asks you to visit, say no.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Italy: lol

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

speaking as someone from the north currently attempting to social distance in a gardenless london flat, don't bother. jose's just trying to feel better about living where he does

Living in London is "my bed is a racecar" and living in the north is "I sleep in a big bed with my wife"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nah. like, people live in different places because they want different things, it's not a tricky concept.

if you want space for your dog, you live somewhere where you can get a big house and garden, and (outside of pandemics) if you want easy access to restaurants and shows and stuff, you live somewhere where they don't flinch away from the sight of black people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I live in a house in London and have a back garden :smugdog:

Also I sleep in a big bed with my wife.