Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Phlegmish posted:

lol'ing at 'Fixed a crash that occurred when a mount without a rider heard an arrow'

heard an arrow and died

Here lies Horse Type: Horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Chomp8645 posted:

Hear lies Horse Type: Horse.

Fixed!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Agean90 posted:

i kinda like having lovely rag tag equipment compared to all the fancy nobles

yeah the empress got knocked out by a dude wearing a leather helmet from a mountain bandit, a bear cloak from his boss, lovely auxiliary armor he got at the market, and a pair of wrapped boots he got from a looter at the start of the save file

I wonder if the wrapped boots looters know they could be livin' high on the hog if they just sold their shoes.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

:eyepop:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Riding your horse full-tilt toward the enemy and chucking a jareed and it slamming into the Noble's dome as they hilariously ragdoll at the speed of sound off their armored horse is the funniest god-damned thing I've seen in a long long time

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Does the city a caravan is based out of impact where they go? I sniped a city from the Aserai and decided to buy out all the workshops, but the wool one isn't doing very well in spite of the presence of a sheep village. I can manually supply wool to help it but, :effort:.

Would canceling my caravans and rebasing them to my town make them route to and from it more often?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cultured Start mod is very good. Started a new game on the beefy beta and getting to skip the tutorial and noble hunting quest and just being allowed to actually freely play the game is so nice.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So are these new beefy npcs a bug or working as intended? Like is this gonna get patched out on monday or do the devs intend to inject raw bovine growth hormone into every peasant?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I put this game down for a bit but drat if I don't want a battleline of Norse linebackers.

https://twitter.com/GarbageApe/status/1249208245681520640?s=19

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

What skill controls the chance of prisoners deciding to join you? Charm?

After a war with one of the imperials I've got a nice chunk of their elite cavalry, but I notice tier 6 or 7 units never seem to give in, it's only the lower ones

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

High Tier units will never convert, just ransom them or donate them to your alliegance's dungeons.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Nosre posted:

After a war with one of the imperials I've got a nice chunk of their elite cavalry, but I notice tier 6 or 7 units never seem to give in, it's only the lower ones

I'm pretty sure it's leadership

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

I ain't tryna yuck your yums or anything its just I'm getting way more value out of flicking sticks at my foes. My horse bowman lady can kill over twenty looters singlehandedly without taking damage, you can't even carry twenty javelins.

If you go hard into bows then yeah you can generall get more total mileage out of them, but it takes quite a while to expend that many arrows, a full set of arrows will kill more people total, but javelins kill people faster which limits the amount of damage those troops can do in a group fight.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Bows are a bit nicer due to the increased headshot multiplier in the patch at least.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Is anyone running into the situation during a siege where you ram through the first gate, batter down the second, and get greeted by a dense formation of enemy militia? But they just stand there? Every time my soldiers pile right in but I walk around to the back and start literally mowing them down with a two handed axe. 1-2 kills per swing, they don't even turn around.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nosre posted:

I think there's actually some sort of experience thing going on. Often see a few prisoners decide to flip after a battle.

It would explain this too:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

High Tier units will never convert, just ransom them or donate them to your alliegance's dungeons.

Higher tier need more xp?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Gaj posted:

So are these new beefy npcs a bug or working as intended? Like is this gonna get patched out on monday or do the devs intend to inject raw bovine growth hormone into every peasant?

It's almost certainly a bug. The modder behind Detailed Character Creation wrote a Known Issues blog post which mentions something that sounds like it might be related:

quote:

Currently, there are a few bugs presiding which we need to figure out to get this mod operating to it's fullest extend at this time.

DailyTick Method:
When building Detailed Character Creation initially, we discovered that when adding in the debug variables for age, weight and build, that these parameters were saving, but eventually being reverted back. After some digging into the game files, we realized that the method OnDailyTick called during each new day in the game had some parameters in it which caused the player to either: gain weight, lose weight, gain muscle, or lose muscle. Different events for these included if the player was in a settlement for a period of time, this would cause the player to gain some weight. Another event would be if the player has been doing a lot of battles and they were training up their two handed weaponry, this would cause some build to increase.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

KakerMix posted:

Riding your horse full-tilt toward the enemy and chucking a jareed and it slamming into the Noble's dome as they hilariously ragdoll at the speed of sound off their armored horse is the funniest god-damned thing I've seen in a long long time

Every time I land a hit on a horsedude as we charge past each other I cackle like a madman. And on foot, slamming a big two-hander into someone's head and one-shotting them never gets old.

Hard agree with whoever upthread was talking about flinching away from attacks. I find myself leaning into blows, too. It's a hugely kinetic game for how pedestrian the attack animations actually are.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Riatsala posted:

Is anyone running into the situation during a siege where you ram through the first gate, batter down the second, and get greeted by a dense formation of enemy militia? But they just stand there? Every time my soldiers pile right in but I walk around to the back and start literally mowing them down with a two handed axe. 1-2 kills per swing, they don't even turn around.

Yep, same here. They're intended to be the door and horseman blockers I guess, but either the positioning hasn't been tweaked or the script to make them charge the door isn't fired.

The sieges are one hell of a ride but the scripting is a little wonky in a couple of places. I had one where I got knocked early on in the assault but my troops easily took the town. They then spent 15 minutes milling around in the gate courtyard before all 500 of them simultaneously broke into a dead run to chase down the last two enemy militia that were hiding in a back tower.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I prefer modding it so that they can be recruited.

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/112

Complete with configurable reciting chances for all tiers of troops.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Higher tier need more xp?

High tier units are bugged/intended to never be recruitable, up to debate which it might be. The mod description page details the code where it happens and 5/6 are excluded from the calculations despite having recruit chances.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 12, 2020

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I’ve got a suspicion it depends on who you’re continuing to fight. I’ve carried around a bunch of prisoners during an ongoing war and seen no recruits but if I take a break and run down looters for a while I start seeing them turn over.

My guess is that it keeps some affiliation to their clan/kingdom and won’t turn while you’re killing their friends? I’m probably reading too much into it. Could be based on lot of experience gain/morale by the army crushing looters without me.

I’ve had rank 3^ troops turn over, not sure about higher. I’ve started carrying one of each troop with me and keeping the bulk of the ones worth keeping in my castle because they recruit per unit type so no point carrying the travel penalty of having a bunch.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
So I'm winning wars for Vlandia but Derthbert just inexplicably hates me. How do you get on the better side of lords? Maybe I'll just take my half million denars and two castles on opposite sides of the continent and say gently caress em.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
They're definitely agnostic to kingdom, since any kingdom can have any unit type if they've conquered the right areas, and I often keep a stock of ready to convert prisoners to fill out any losses. It seems like it's just a daily pass/fail percentage roll.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Wow, finally got a heavy executioner's axe and suddenly I'm not loving with bows or shields anymore

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Carcer posted:

You can kill 20 looters, sure, just about anything can.

A bow can't kill 20 shielded, armoured faction infantry, and in the larger battles your arrows are probably going to hitting 20 different troops and kill no one.

A single proper javelin hitting someone is going to murder the gently caress out of them and probably guarantee the kill.

Seconding this. If i've got a bow and a guy on a horse charges at me i'm probably gonna have to swap. If i've got a decent jav i'm just gonna throw one at him and laugh when it does literally 300 damage.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've been giving the Aserai a try and man desert bandits are surprisingly annoying. If they're not on horseback then they carry spears that my own cavalry just freakin love to plant themselves on.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Xerophyte posted:

Yep, same here. They're intended to be the door and horseman blockers I guess, but either the positioning hasn't been tweaked or the script to make them charge the door isn't fired.

The sieges are one hell of a ride but the scripting is a little wonky in a couple of places. I had one where I got knocked early on in the assault but my troops easily took the town. They then spent 15 minutes milling around in the gate courtyard before all 500 of them simultaneously broke into a dead run to chase down the last two enemy militia that were hiding in a back tower.

In my personal experience, charging a solid door on a horse gets you thrown off and the horse looks at you like you're a dumbass. Horses are not battering rams.

Ask me about summer horse camp

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Riatsala posted:

Wow, finally got a heavy executioner's axe and suddenly I'm not loving with bows or shields anymore

A vaegir game long ago taught me that the (Heavy) Bardiche is the best weapon ever.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I somehow managed to break the Family Feud quest by... accepting another quest leading to the same village? Accepting a quest from the landlord I was supposed to be family feuding with? My murderers absolutely will not show in village maps nor will spawn in a direct talk with the target, they hide out in the party until time runs out and then also stay afterwards as a double-duty useless companion/cultural ambassador. Bummer but at least I can sell off their gear and it's cool I can pledge loyalty to the Battanians any time I want via a bunch of nude cowards

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Yep, turns out prisoner recruitment is this:

Someone on nexusmods posted:

Recruitment of prisoners currently works this way: every day, once for every unique stack of prisoner (that is recruitable and tier 6 or below), check an array for a value for their corresponding tier. If that value is above a random value between 0 and 1, add one prisoner in the stack as recruitable, and subtract the corresponding array value by 1.

The default game is missing array values for tier 5 and 6 prisoners, so they are never recruitable. Also by default, you can only recruit one prisoner per tier per day.
For reference, the default values are effectively (1, 0.5, 0.3, 0.2, 0.1, 0.0, 0.0)

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A vaegir game long ago taught me that the (Heavy) Bardiche is the best weapon ever.

Yes, very true, I had a similar experience.

It's like the Skyrim stealth archer effect, though. I played through Warband to satisfaction maybe 5 times and went horse archer every single time, even though it's not really the most fun or rewarding way of playing.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Destroyenator posted:

Yep, turns out prisoner recruitment is this:

its a really annoying way to do it since it rewards having a billion stacks of 1 prisoner each

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't remember archers being this deadly. Started my new game so smaller party and noticing balance more.

My party:
10 level 4-5 infantry plus 15 high level crossbow

Enemy:
Like 10 forest bandits.

Result:
All infantry wiped out by arrows before they can reach the archers, crossbows then quickly wiped out. It was down to me riding back and forth lancing the archers at the end. Barely won. I know archers are considered "OP" at the moment but wow.

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

Will enemy factions attack my caravans?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

8-Bit Dracula posted:

Will enemy factions attack my caravans?

In my experience they'll never catch them.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

I have lost a caravan, I found out when I noticed a message that my companion had escaped captivity. They ended up waiting in a tavern the same as when you lose a battle and are taken prisoner. No notices or alerts about the caravan getting attacked like settlements or that it was destroyed, the companion was just back to a regular NPC and I was able to start them on another caravan without issue.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Forest Bandits

Yeah, archers are terrifying right now. I expect some sort of nerf to at least accuracy, probably also damage vs at least high-armor targets. Crossbows conversely feel like they should really do more damage against high-armor targets than they do. Also crossbows should, y'know, exist without a mod.

My personal Forest Bandit horror story is blithely strolling into my first forest hideout after having done a decent few mountain, steppe and sea raider ones. Shooting the first bandit I see resulted in like 15 mans being immediately alerted from all over, they cut down me and my crack team of hardened batmaniac skirmishers in 5 seconds flat.

Now I don't do forest bandit hideouts unless it's just the boss group, plus maybe 5 dudes if I'm feeling brave.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
got a quest to clear out a 48-strong forest bandit hideout and fuuuuuck that.

it'd probably be less hosed if it weren't a big wide open space.

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

dogstile posted:

In my experience they'll never catch them.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

On the one hand, I actually like that bows are scary. On the other hand, I'm much more worried when I enter a battle and see we're at the wrong end of an archer gap than I am when we're at the wrong end of a cavalry gap, and that's... maybe not great?

Baronjutter posted:

I don't remember archers being this deadly. Started my new game so smaller party and noticing balance more.

My party:
10 level 4-5 infantry plus 15 high level crossbow

Enemy:
Like 10 forest bandits.

Result:
All infantry wiped out by arrows before they can reach the archers, crossbows then quickly wiped out. It was down to me riding back and forth lancing the archers at the end. Barely won. I know archers are considered "OP" at the moment but wow.

Do your infantry have shields? F3 -> F2 will tell them to go into shield wall formation and (maybe) put them to better use.

Xerophyte posted:

Yeah, archers are terrifying right now. I expect some sort of nerf to at least accuracy, probably also damage vs at least high-armor targets. Crossbows conversely feel like they should really do more damage against high-armor targets than they do. Also crossbows should, y'know, exist without a mod.

Equippable crossbows I don't know about but Vlandian crossbowmen will slaughter you if you let them.