Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Larryb posted:

Ah, it’s been a while since I’ve seen Rescue Rangers so I forgot about that particular detail. Ah well, I imagine there’s still plenty of time though.

I assume that Chip & Dale’s actors would be easy to get back at least as they voice those characters in pretty much everything.

Aside from the fact that the only people playing legacy roles on the show are the core trio of Donald, Goofy, and "Mickey", with them very consciously and deliberately choosing new actors for other characters, there's also the showrunner saying that even getting a cameo from the Rangers was a pretty out-there proposition in the first place.

I'd like for them to come back in a bigger role but it sounds like Disney is still keeping them locked up for their own feature. And if they do--and I really hope they do--I don't expect the cast to be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Argue posted:

Aside from the fact that the only people playing legacy roles on the show are the core trio of Donald, Goofy, and "Mickey", with them very consciously and deliberately choosing new actors for other characters, there's also the showrunner saying that even getting a cameo from the Rangers was a pretty out-there proposition in the first place.

I'd like for them to come back in a bigger role but it sounds like Disney is still keeping them locked up for their own feature. And if they do--and I really hope they do--I don't expect the cast to be the same.

Wait, that Rescue Rangers project is still a thing? I assumed that was basically dead in the water by this point.

Anyway, not a bad episode but I'm not really a fan of the new Steelbeak (I don't remember him being quite as incompetent in the original). It's possible things will improve as the season goes on though

Personally, I'm looking forward to Gosalyn's debut if only to see how they manage to differentiate her from Webby

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rescue Rangers was my childhood show, even more than Ducktales, so seeing them made me really happy

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Pakled posted:

Someone who worked on Wander Over Yonder said they wanted to do a Star Wars homage/parody at one point but Disney's lawyers shot it down. Even though THEY OWN both properties.

Disney's weird that way. After they bought out Lucasfilm, they stopped Star Wars Nights at the parks and stopped putting their characters in Star Wars get ups. Like, Mickey would show up as a Jedi, Minnie was Leia, Goofy would be Vader (wearing mickey silouette boxers), and Donald would be a stormtrooper. But no longer.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Moon Slayer posted:

Rescue Rangers was my favorite show as a kid and Gadget my first childhood crush (fortunately I didn't turn into a furry) so seeing them and having their theme song kick in made me so happy. I can't remember my relative's birthdays but I can by god sing the entire Rescue Rangers theme song.
Gadget was my first crush too! I somehow also didn't become a furry, but I've hung out with some and they're cool.

shades of eternity posted:

Yet another character designed specifically where "woman is smart, men are dumb."

are we living in the 90's again?
Get over yourself.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Boxman posted:

Disney's weird that way. After they bought out Lucasfilm, they stopped Star Wars Nights at the parks and stopped putting their characters in Star Wars get ups. Like, Mickey would show up as a Jedi, Minnie was Leia, Goofy would be Vader (wearing mickey silouette boxers), and Donald would be a stormtrooper. But no longer.

I would really like to know the logic behind this.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I would really like to know the logic behind this.
It's probably because they were opening a dedicated Star Wars area of the park.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
show's really firing on every cylinder right now

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/PixieSphere/status/1249018850525548544

Scrooge spent $75,000 on skee-ball :stare:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Gadget was my first crush too! I somehow also didn't become a furry, but I've hung out with some and they're cool.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

shades of eternity posted:

Yet another character designed specifically where "woman is smart, men are dumb."

are we living in the 90's again?

the main character of the show is repeatedly touted as being smarter than the smarties but by all means don't let me rain on your pity parade

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

When I heard that Steelbeak was going to be part of this episode, I thought maybe we'd get Launchpad and Drake teaming up to stop him, but this is also pretty great. I definitely didn't expect the Rescue Rangers cameo, but smiled so much when they appeared. :allears:

I also like Himbo Steelbeak here, since it lets him and the new and untested Darkwing face each other in equal terms. It'd be great if they made a Darkwing 2020 show and have the two grow more experienced as the show goes on.

It's lucky that Webbie didn't introduce Scrooge to mobile games and gacha bullshit instead.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The Rescue Rangers cameo was amazing, especially when the theme song kicked in.

I was expecting Steelbeak to use the ray on himself at some point, but dummifying all of Duckburg is a pretty classic villain plot. I do really like that he's all in on doing the villain thing "right."

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Sam King is the treasure of Ducktales, and while I’m glad she’s now a director, I’m going to miss seeing her behind the scene stuff.

https://twitter.com/samanthacking/status/1249772133875478530?s=21

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I was grinning like a delighted idiot when the Rescue Rangers turned up. I’d love to see more of them.
Dewey was grating in Act 2/3.
Loved Webby’s expression to the arcade worker.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Numbers posted:

The Rescue Rangers cameo was amazing, especially when the theme song kicked in.

I was expecting Steelbeak to use the ray on himself at some point, but dummifying all of Duckburg is a pretty classic villain plot. I do really like that he's all in on doing the villain thing "right."

That actually makes sense- the thing is about Steelbeak is that he's sensitive about being called stupid, because already thinks he's smart and people just underestimate him. Similarly, Black Heron wouldn't use it on herself because she's already a genius, and wouldn't use it on Steelbeak because she'd probably accurately think he'd use his enhanced intellect to upstage her.

Is fun at the end how FOWL takes advantage of the misunderstanding to cover things up- putting Launchpad and Dewey back at the arcade and making them think it really was all just the VR game, but still being pissed at Heron and Steelbeak for almost blowing their cover. Interesting that the whole point of Funzo's was to be a cover as a place where Scrooge wouldn't normally have any interest or reason to go to, but they didn't count on Scrooge taking care of children. They probably would have been better off just laying low until Scrooge leaves and quietly relocating, but they're too paranoid and reactive. (that said, Scrooge DOES have a habit of getting involved in shenanigans wherever he goes)

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Reminded me of this: https://medium.com/@thefandome/gadget-hackwrench-religion-or-how-a-fandom-reborn-into-a-cult-c66050342d64

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

...and once again Something Awful justifies what I paid to join it by making me aware of crazy poo poo that shouldn't exist but somehow does.

This article also gives me insight into why somehow this guy...

is anti-gay.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Hey, new episode is up on DisneyNOW. Della being a pilot makes sense now given that she loving hates fish.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Noted proponent of Fish Genocide, Della Duck.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Donald is the prettiest mermaid

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Donald is the prettiest mermaid

Never tell him his chili is just okay though.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
After meaning to check out the show for years, I'm finally taking the plunge with season 3 (and the Disney channel being unscrambled here).
In a career filled with amazing performances...is Scrooge McDuck David Tennant's best role yet?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Xelkelvos posted:

Never tell him his chili is just okay though.

My ex boyfriend is a chef from Texas. Not only will I tell Donald his chili is just ok, I will stare him right in they eyes as I do it

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yannick_B posted:

is Scrooge McDuck David Tennant's best role yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoUdPin-dhU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seems like they're setting up for an arc with Beakley; that she has a lot of dark secrets, and wants her granddaughter to be a better person than she is but has questionable methods in doing so. I've said before she seems to be paranoid and takes her own social experiences for granted, and Webby is obviously a bit messed up as a result of being both highly trained in combat and adventure skills and very sheltered. Contrasting the triplets that Donald has made sure have lived a relatively normal and healthy life despite his limited means.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

The presence of FOWL definitely makes it the time to learn more about Beakley, given her history with them.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
It's possible Beakley's secret is that she was a member of FOWL before defecting to SHUSH. That seems like a major enough twist.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I think she's aware that FOWL has reactivated but is keeping it from the family so they don't worry.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think she's aware that FOWL has reactivated but is keeping it from the family so they don't worry.

Yeah, that fits with the theme of “keeping harsh truths secret so that people can see the best in the world” that this episode was going for.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm going for the long shot; Beakley isn't really Webby's grandmother.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So far each season has focused on a kid and an adult

Dewey and Scrooge
Louie and Della

I guess this season is Huey and Beakley. Next season will be Webby and Donald.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Phylodox posted:

I'm going for the long shot; Beakley isn't really Webby's grandmother.

That would certainly be the biggest drama bomb, and help explain why Webby's parents aren't in the picture.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That would certainly be the biggest drama bomb, and help explain why Webby's parents aren't in the picture.

Webby's parents were agents of SHUSH. Beakley was either a fellow agent or their superior. Or an agent of FOWL inadvertently responsible for their deaths, who defected to SHUSH to repent. But that might be a bit too dark for this kid's show.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Phylodox posted:

Webby's parents were agents of SHUSH. Beakley was either a fellow agent or their superior. Or an agent of FOWL inadvertently responsible for their deaths, who defected to SHUSH to repent. But that might be a bit too dark for this kid's show.

Beakley was a member of SHUSH in the '60s, so I don't think she would have ever been a member of F.O.W.L. unless she was a double agent. I could see it being the case where Webby's parents were fellow members of SHUSH that were sent on a dangerous mission and killed or otherwise forced into hiding, and asked Beakley to keep their daughter safe in the most secure place on earth—McDuck Manor.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, were Webby and/or Beakley in the original comics or were they another invention of the first Ducktales cartoon like Launchpad was?

If the former, have Webby’s parents ever been mentioned before in any media related to this series?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Debuted in DuckTales as far as I can tell.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Larryb posted:

I forget, were Webby and/or Beakley in the original comics or were they another invention of the first Ducktales cartoon like Launchpad was?

If the former, have Webby’s parents ever been mentioned before in any media related to this series?

It's the later.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Senerio posted:

Debuted in DuckTales as far as I can tell.

Huh, could have sworn I’ve seen the original Webby in a comic once but it could have been something written after the series premiered.

Out of curiosity, just how many now staple characters of the franchise did the original cartoon actually invent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

I'm fairly certain they were original to the 87 show, yes. And no, to my knowledge Webby's parents have never been mentioned before, she was largely just there, sometime as an afterthought.

I'm thinking in this version Webby's parents went into the "family business" and were SHUSH agents following in Beakly's footsteps, only they went out on a mission and just never came back, so Beakly locked Webby up in McDuck Mannor for her entire childhood out of fear and paranoia to protect her and keep her from learning the truth.