Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
I'd stay away from Tankieus too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Aftermath

We pause to bind wounds with bandages cut from tapestry fabric and cinch up Severence’s sprained ankle as best we can before tackling the dais.

Ospar makes his rounds of the bier and determines from a set of cracks that the marble top can be slid off. My tiny telekinesis spell isn’t powerful enough to move the slab on its own, but with the aid of Markennon, Ospar and Severance, we are able to shove the marble slab over and it falls with a crash to one side.

Inside we find a magical treasure trove we likely won’t find again in this lifetime. A set of six books with titles like “Manual of Bodily Health”, “Manual of Gainful Exercise”, “Manual of Quickness of Action”, “Tome of Clear Thought”, “Tome of Leadership and Influence”, ”Tome of Understanding”. And a final book made of brassbound pages of parchment with dark purple covers made of demon leather. It is held shut by a clasp in the shape of a three-fingered demonic hand and no amount of effort on our part enabled us to open it.

In addition to the books we find a simple birdcage made of brass. Upon closer inspection I can see a figure, maybe three inches tall, female and clad in a shapeless brown smock sitting in the center of the birdcage with her knees under her chin and with her arms wrapped around her legs. Regardless of how I move the birdcage the figure inside remains motionless, and the door to the cage remains fast shut.

“Pepper, quit playing with your toy and help me with this.” Ospar is gesturing at the rest of the space in the dais which is occupied by a mahogany coffin. Casually, and recklessly if I might add, he opens the coffin and we see the hazy form of the warrior maiden slowly materializing as she lays seemingly asleep.

“Step back,” says Severance and limps up to the open coffin with a flask of oil. He dumps it liberally all over the inside of the coffin and, giving us a chance to remove books, birdcage, lantern, bowl of gems and anything else of value from the area, sets fire to the coffin and steps back. Immediately the oil erupts into a thick conflagration with roiling clouds of thick black smoke that, as the fire burns down, leave a greasy soot on every surface of the once beautiful chamber.

As the fire burns we decide to retreat and regroup back in the taint-free cave and get some badly-needed rest and respite from the oppressive evil, and after a good night’s rest we are able to use our healing charms to get ourselves back to as nearly full strength as can be expected in this place. I spend my watch trying to get the purple volume open with zero success. Spells of opening or prying or delving are completely useless but after hours of frustration Severance says, “Y’know, tha’ be th’ book tha’ Natasha th’ Dark had on her lectern in th’ summoning room. It be open an’ she read from it as she ensnared Griz’zt an’ th’ ol’ wizard. Much as we wish t’ be rid o’ this place, I do no think we’ve seen all o’ it.”

“I think you are right. Ten of yours to one of mine says that this birdcage is the Prison of Zagyg so we have what we came for.” I adjust my seat on the rocky ground. “Still, I say we look for the summoning room now, because I will never, ever come back to this horrible place.” I go back to looking at the woman in the cage.

Snakeeyes has run out of krrf and has taken to rolling the bowl of his pipe across his fingers when he is idle, like now. He rolls his wounded arm around and asks, “Who do you think she is?”

I shrug. “No idea. But either Natasha or the warrior imprisoned her so I suppose she’s no friend of theirs.”

Returning to the central chamber (strangely direct and not requiring the passage through each of the outer doors) we inspect the dais.

Snakeeyes is the first to notice the crack running through the bottom of the dais. The high temperatures of the fire must have warped and flexed the stone somehow and the crack exposes a hollow underside to the dais. With further inspection Snakeeyes and Ospar wedge a spike into the crack and forcing it apart reveals a clockwork design that moves the dais over to reveal grand stairway that leads down into the core of the mountain.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Suleman posted:

I'm in a game of Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader, which is basically playing as smugglers and privateers in a sci-fi universe where everyone is trying to kill each other and occasionally themselves.

The setup:
Our ship, the Impostor, is a relic battle cruiser from the time when the warp shielding, which protects the ship from being eaten by demons when she travels through the Warp, was actually physically carved onto the hull rather than projected by a generator.
The Impostor is truly ancient and irreplaceable, which is probably the only reason why she wasn't destroyed by the Imperial Inquisition after the previous captain's plot to stage a demonic ritual on her. The Inquisition did strip her of most of her weapons and much of our wealth, leaving us in dire straits.
We have a ship the size of a city, but barely any weapons, an inexperienced crew and less money than a local planetary merchants' guild. Desperate measures might be necessary!

Just an exchange from a more recent session:

GM: So, last time on the Battleship Impostor...
Player 1: "Battlesheep"
GM: Nice.
Me: Wouldn't a "Battlesheep Impostor" be, uhh, a "Battlewolf in Battlesheep's clothing"?
GM: *Loses train of thought entirely for like a minute*
GM: Have a fate point, and don't do that again.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Battlesheep have steel wool.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Ol' Ironsheers

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Colonel Cool posted:

Battlesheep have steel wool.

Which, of course, makes them highly flammable.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Suleman posted:

Just an exchange from a more recent session:

GM: So, last time on the Battleship Impostor...
Player 1: "Battlesheep"
GM: Nice.
Me: Wouldn't a "Battlesheep Impostor" be, uhh, a "Battlewolf in Battlesheep's clothing"?
GM: *Loses train of thought entirely for like a minute*
GM: Have a fate point, and don't do that again.

Ahahaha awesome.

You're running this in Fate? Is it an official release for Rogue Trader, or a homebrew? I'd be interested in seeing a book!

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

Ahahaha awesome.

You're running this in Fate? Is it an official release for Rogue Trader, or a homebrew? I'd be interested in seeing a book!

It's the 2009 edition with some houserules. I don't remember if the core book had a fate book equivalent, but we're using them because it's a handy mechanic.

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

I am an elemental spirit summoned up from the Land of the Dead itself and given one purpose, one skill, one desire: To DRIVE. Or, to change oil or adjust timing belts if no driving jobs are open.
I'm in a game of Pathfinder 2E, and it's... colorful? Enjoyable, to be sure, but interesting.

I've played in several other games, and I've been roleplaying in general for over a decade. I'm playing Krugg the goblin fighter. I built him to heavily use Dex; Reflex is his best save. At level 3, he has the same AC as the level 13 wizard I play in my 1E game. Character-wise, he's impulsive, arrogant, and greedy. Goblins in 2E don't worship gods, but instead creatures or objects they find fascinating. Krugg worships booze.

Our DM is the same as my 1E game. He's been doing this forever, and he's solid. We're running a module, and he follows the book a little more closely than I'd like, but he's solid. Also, he's a sadistic bastard who relishes chances to gently caress us over. But, I knew that going in, and he's solid.

Player 2 runs Quinn Farbreeze the human bard. He's also been playing for years. Quinn's perform skill isn't playing an instrument, or singing, or dancing, or telling jokes. He wears a portable stove on his belt and cooks delicious meals at all times, and the smell Inspires Courage. He's also our primary healer. We are not exactly a well-balanced team.

Player 3 has never played a tabletop RPG before. He is also a massive - and I mean MASSIVE - weeb. He plays Konesrach the gnome sorcerer, usually just called Kone. Kone is every shonen character ever. He fights for his friends. He calls his attacks (using ability names from Dragonball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho).

Player 4 has also never played a tabletop RPG before. He plays Escor the human ranger. Escor is the quintessential murderhobo. He's just P4's Skyrim character. He shoots people with a bow or smashes them with a mace. His personality is "whatever P4 will think is fun right now". Escor indulges every terrible idea Krugg has (which makes him Krugg's wingman).

Playing with 2 veterans and 2 complete amateurs is an experience.

- Only P3 closely read the manual and built his character properly. The rest of us glossed over a key sentence and were missing 4 stat points until level 3. This leads nicely into...

- Every fight in levels 1 and 2 involved someone dropping below 0 HP. We failed to see the giant bat hiding in the rafters? It smacks Quinn twice and he passes out. Escor decides to try to loot the room without much investigation? Giant turtles bite him until he's down. We blew at least one healing potion every encounter. And speaking of almost dying...

- Krugg has been eaten alive twice. The first time, we opened a door and a warg charged us. Wargs have the ability to swallow creatures smaller than they are. Goblins are considered small. That session, the GM couldn't roll below a 14. The warg charged in, hit Krugg for most of his health in damage, and then ate him. Krugg spent the rest of the fight trying to survive damage from stomach acid and damage from suffocation. Kone and Escor got lucky and managed to slice the warg open and free Krugg, and then dumped healing potion down his throat.

- The second time, the party accidently pissed off some kind of giant snake, and it chased us down a corridor, biting every chance it got. Quinn and Kone, being squishy, ran immediately and tried shooting spells as they could. Escor, being a little beefier, focused on shooting while running. Krugg, as the tank, stayed in front, swinging the +1 short sword he found in a coffin. This was the same "no <14 DM rolls" session. Krugg got swallowed by the snake just before Escor crit to kill it.

We discovered the puppies of the warg that ate Krugg and are now taming them. Krugg is going to learn to ride one.

I GM a vastly different game (based on Persona 5) with P2 and DM. P2 plays a teenage cop who hits on every girl or woman he met; most of the time, he rolls successes. Teencop has two of his classmates and a 30-year-old considering him boyfriend material. Nearly every time Quinn, the chefbard, has tried to seduce someone, he has failed spectacularly. He's not allowed in the bookstore anymore.

After we accomplished the task the town council hired us for, we had downtime. Krugg went to the tavern to boast about how unkillable he is. I rolled well enough on my Intimidate checks to convince some of the patrons to buy me drinks. Krugg then proclaimed himself the strongest in town, and a member of the guard challenged Krugg to an arm-wrestling contest. I rolled a 2 on my Strength check, and as Krugg started losing he leaned forward and bit the guardsman's face. It caused a bar fight that weakened the guard enough to free the necromancer we had captured. I don't regret it.

P4 makes amazingly awful MSPaint comics as recaps for our sessions. I was there for them and I don't really understand them. They are perfect.

LawrenceFriday fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 6, 2020

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The Hollow of the Horn

We head down the stairs deep into the core of the mountain. If the taint in the greater caves was abysmal, it grew progressively stronger and more overpowering, like we were descending into a pool of liquid taint- the pressure increasing as we descend.

We find ourselves in the ruins of the chambers of the sorceress we saw in our visions. The evil energy pouring down from the mountain has not been kind to these chambers and we increase the damage as we do battle with an undead wizard and his Pech minions who had tunneled up from the depths to explore the chambers. We also came across a tribe of genies from the elemental plane of earth who were drawn into the mountain’s necromantic heart in the quest for valuable ores, but we gave them their end because they would not leave us be.

We battle our way through wraiths and demon sentinels until we find ourselves in the very summoning room with the three large summoning circles set in the floor in which Demon Princes were enslaved and as we approach the circles a bubble of force glistens over the central summoning circle. Then, materializing from somewhere unseen, an elderly human male clad in plain white robes appears. He sits lotus-style on the floor, and although his face is haggard and his beard is long and unkempt, his face is nonetheless serene. He opens his eyes, revealing sparkling blue irises. With a warm smile and a calm voice, he says, “Hello, I am Tsojcanth.”

“Hello Tsojcanth,” I say, walking to the stone pedestal in front of the summoning circles. “It is my pleasure to meet you in person.”

“It has certainly been a long time since I have had the company of humans. The Dao are so singleminded of purpose and Zousha is insane. Was insane. I gather. I look at you five and see very tough men. You are hardy indeed to have weathered the taint as you have.”

“Just lucky I guess,” says Snakeeyes absently as he wanders around the room, poking at shelves.

“What brings you here?” Tsojcanth asks idly from his lotus on the floor.

Severance speaks up, “We do be grave robbers, look’n t’ fill our packs wi’gold an’ riches.”

“And have you?” Tsojcanth asks. “Have you found your riches?”

“We ‘ave done al’right.”

“So you will be off then?”

“Aye.”

At this, Tsojcanth unfolds himself from his lotus and stands up, brushing off his palms. “And me? I’ll make no secret that I am imprisoned here. I was a treasure seeker just like you, and I am now trapped by my own inability to see the trap that lay over this ring. Will you set me free? Just break the circle and I can go free.”

“Ah Tsojcanth,” says Severance. “We know y’. ‘Litt’l Deceiv’r’ indeed! We know y’. We know ye’ true form an’ ye’ true demean’r. Th’ visions in th’ tunnels show’d how Iggwilv caught ye!”

At this Tsojcanth howls with rage and changes, at once a demon of leathery skin the color of mottled ash. A serpentine tail extends from a knot of muscle at the base of the creature’s spine, tipped with a two pronged barb that drips with a glowing ichor. He roars a thunderous cry and regards us with eyes of purest black. With forked tongue lasting from between his teeth he howls, “Wretch! You dare speak of that witch in my presence! She who was carted off by Griz’zt back to a pit in the Abyss? Do not name her so!”

We are stunned by his outburst and his sudden shift into a Prince of Demons. Pale and unnerved, Snakeeyes says, “Let’s go. We have what we need. We should not meddle in this.”

Severance says, “Wai’ a moment. Pepp’r, the book. Put the book on the pedestal.”

I pull out my portable hole and fish out the book of purble leather and brass bindings. When he sees the book, the Demon Prince grows deathly quiet.

“The Demonomicon. Where did you get that?”

I heft the book onto the pedestal and inspect it carefully. “It was in the library upstairs in the dais with the warrior woman on top.”

Tsojcanth asks, “Was it the vampire in the well-crafted armor and hair the color of the darkest pits of despair?”

“The same.”

“You destroyed her? Destroyed her body?”

“We did.”

At this news Tsojcanth reverts to his humanoid form and smiles, though his eyes remain black, “Drelzna. Her name was Drelzna. She was Iggwilv’s daughter. You have killed her favorite.”

“Baba Yaga might be a little upset by that,” says Severance from the far side of the room.

Tsojcanth continues, a kindly man smiling a kindly smile, “It was almost worth it to be imprisoned here just to hear the news of Drelzna’s death. Now, I beseech you. Free me.”

Severance starts laughing. “Free ye? Na. Free a dem’n prince an’ let it roam abou’? Nah flamin’ likely.”

“If you are concerned about how I comport myself upon my release, I can swear an oath to return directly to Twelvetrees in the Abyss and never to return to this plane.”

Severance and Tsojcanth continue to talk as I inspect the Demonomicon. Seeing no trap or spell that manifests on this pedestal, I pop the brass clasps and it opens, almost anticlimactically. Thumbing through it reveals pages upon pages of dense handwritten notes, equations and symbols – a veritable treasure trove of arcane knowledge. I close and lift the book off the pedestal, making sure to keep it unlocked and say, “Yes, Severance, we have what we came for. It’s time to go.”

“Do not leave me here! As Tsojcanth I can be a powerful boon to you if you set me free and will bring you riches and wealth.”

Ospar speaks up for the first time, “Pepper, Markennon, Severance, Snakeeyes. It is time we left this place. Thalos is waiting.”

We head for the door, leaving Tsojcanth standing silently in his circle. An old man standing alone in his cell.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I tried running marvel heroic but after minute three of explaining dice pools, we switched to masks.

Anyway, we started off with a little farmers' market encounter during the Marvel Civil War.

The players discovered that Supervillains were being used to capture renegade heroes, and I asked him what major celebrity was being honored in Santa Monica. They said it was Spider-Man.

So Nico Minoru, Night Thrasher and Victor Mancha saved Spider-Man Day in Santa Monica, through the power of creativity, violence, and... because the cape killers didn’t know about the supervillain part, snitching. Seldom have superheroes saved the day by telling one group of bad guys that there was an even worse group of bad guys over there, but it worked.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 15, 2023

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

LawrenceFriday posted:

P4 makes amazingly awful MSPaint comics as recaps for our sessions. I was there for them and I don't really understand them. They are perfect.
See if he'll give you permission to post them here!

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

I am an elemental spirit summoned up from the Land of the Dead itself and given one purpose, one skill, one desire: To DRIVE. Or, to change oil or adjust timing belts if no driving jobs are open.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
:hmmyes:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

LawrenceFriday posted:

Player 2 runs Quinn Farbreeze the human bard. He's also been playing for years. Quinn's perform skill isn't playing an instrument, or singing, or dancing, or telling jokes. He wears a portable stove on his belt and cooks delicious meals at all times, and the smell Inspires Courage. He's also our primary healer. We are not exactly a well-balanced team.

I thought my bard who specialized in satire and bagpipes was pretty good, but this is magnificent.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bieeanshee posted:

I thought my bard who specialized in satire and bagpipes was pretty good, but this is magnificent.

"What's your Performance specialty?"
"Hibachi. I do the cool flippy knife stuff."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Vicious Mockery: put a little photo of the enemy in the onion volcano before lighting it on fire and flipping the food into the enemy's mouth.

LawrenceFriday
Nov 2, 2009

In Pathfinder 2E, races get broken down a bit further into heritages. You aren't just a dwarf, you're a forge dwarf with bonuses to resisting heat or a rock dwarf with bonuses to saves against shoving.

Krugg is an unbreakable goblin. This gives him bonus hit points and lets him treats falls as half height when calculating damage.

There is a feat available only to unbreakable goblins called Bouncy Goblin. Instead of being unbreakable because you're sturdy or whatever, you're unbreakable because you ate the Gum-Gum fruit. You get bonuses when trying to make Acrobatics checks to tumble through an enemy's space.

At level 13, unbreakable goblins can take the feat Unbreakable-er Goblin. It grants even more hit points and nullifies fall damage entirely. If you have the Bouncy Goblin feat, when you fall from at least 20 ft, you bounce up to half the distance you fell.

In our latest session, we were fighting ranger goblins who had built a set of platforms to let them snipe on incoming intruders. Kone dropped an illusion on the platform to give us cover, and Krugg charged. The platform had two stories, each 20ft up. Krugg climbed the first story, killed or knocked out a few of the archers there (the bounty on them specified they're worth double alive), and climbed up the second story. When he took out the final archer on the top, their dual-wielding captain appeared on the ground to try to shank Quinn, our only healer.

Krugg needs to get down to the ground to protect the poor defenseless bard. The ladders down count as difficult terrain, so they eat two of his three actions.

Krugg takes less damage from falling.

gently caress it.

Krugg leaps off the second story, dropping to the first. We look up the rules for fall damage. It's short enough that Krugg in fact takes no damage.

He lands on one of the unconscious rangers. Kone's player joking asks if the ranger takes damage. The DM looks it up.

There are rules for dealing damage by falling on a target.

Krugg goomba-stomps his way down the platform, taking out the remaining archers and charges the captain threatening Quinn.

After the fight, I remember the aforementioned feats.

At level 13, we unlock our ultimate strategy: Quinn flies Krugg into the air and drops him like a bomb. Anything that survives the initial impact gets cleaned up by the bounces.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

I’ve never heard of this but Bouncy goblin is awesome and horrible at the same time. Well done for playing it to the hilt.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

LawrenceFriday posted:

At level 13, we unlock our ultimate strategy: Quinn flies Krugg into the air and drops him like a bomb. Anything that survives the initial impact gets cleaned up by the bounces.

Please tell me at least one person started humming the "Gummi Bears" theme when this plan was thought up.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Mass destruction that's beyond compare!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
How does my group deal with the phylactery of an ancient dracolich that is also an incredibly evil artifact that grants an epic nondetection effect? Why, they learn how to cast Apocalypse From the Sky via blood magic and take it into the northern Lhazaar Principalities! After being offered the lead role in a coup in Karrnath by Erandis d'Vol, they decided that killing Vol would be more enjoyable; by which I mean one PC has a huge hateboner for the Blood of Vol and the others were on board with either plan. Unsurprisingly, Vol and her assorted minions very nearly killed them, but a concerted effort in dropping her defenses and stabbing her a dozen times turned out to be slightly more effective than frostbolts, undead that cause bleeding wounds, and exploding wraiths.

Then they took their dracolich phylactery (not Vol's, a different dracolich) and began to cast AFtS in relative peace. Vol's necropolitan attendant came up to see how things were going, and after a stellar attempt at bluffing with his 8 Cha and no ranks, our currently huge psywar intimidated him into not trying to flee and sounding the alarm. It's fine, don't worry mate, it's new magic! Don't you wanna see a new spell being cast? You don't wanna try to run past the claws that are as big as you are anyways. A hard day's casting later, there is a deluge of acid over a 160 mile radius that dissolves every building on the island, does considerable damage to the castle, and of course kills every living and unliving thing in the area. Amazingly, they chose a location that didn't kill anyone they didn't want to; there's a fuckton of shallow water fish and a forest that is megadead, but there next closest town was about a mile out of reach. Good job guys! :waycool:

Now they're off to try to break into Dreadhold, the House Kundarak supermax prison so they can break out the so-called Anti-Keeper of the Flame; they hope she has the will and the skills to help them break through Thrane's defenses and liberate them from (what they believe is) an oppressive regime.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Yawgmoth posted:

How does my group deal with the phylactery of an ancient dracolich that is also an incredibly evil artifact that grants an epic nondetection effect? Why, they learn how to cast Apocalypse From the Sky via blood magic and take it into the northern Lhazaar Principalities! After being offered the lead role in a coup in Karrnath by Erandis d'Vol, they decided that killing Vol would be more enjoyable; by which I mean one PC has a huge hateboner for the Blood of Vol and the others were on board with either plan. Unsurprisingly, Vol and her assorted minions very nearly killed them, but a concerted effort in dropping her defenses and stabbing her a dozen times turned out to be slightly more effective than frostbolts, undead that cause bleeding wounds, and exploding wraiths.

Then they took their dracolich phylactery (not Vol's, a different dracolich) and began to cast AFtS in relative peace. Vol's necropolitan attendant came up to see how things were going, and after a stellar attempt at bluffing with his 8 Cha and no ranks, our currently huge psywar intimidated him into not trying to flee and sounding the alarm. It's fine, don't worry mate, it's new magic! Don't you wanna see a new spell being cast? You don't wanna try to run past the claws that are as big as you are anyways. A hard day's casting later, there is a deluge of acid over a 160 mile radius that dissolves every building on the island, does considerable damage to the castle, and of course kills every living and unliving thing in the area. Amazingly, they chose a location that didn't kill anyone they didn't want to; there's a fuckton of shallow water fish and a forest that is megadead, but there next closest town was about a mile out of reach. Good job guys! :waycool:

Now they're off to try to break into Dreadhold, the House Kundarak supermax prison so they can break out the so-called Anti-Keeper of the Flame; they hope she has the will and the skills to help them break through Thrane's defenses and liberate them from (what they believe is) an oppressive regime.

These people must not be allowed access to...well, ANYTHING in real life. :stare:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Stellar bluff attempt:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I too have rolled low on dice

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Escape from the Lost Caverns

We exit Tsojcanth and the caves, making our way back down the mountain. Every day we travel from Iggwilv’s Horn the taint’s effects weaken and we grow stronger and healthier. By day we travel on foot out of the Valley of the Horn and through the Barrier Peaks. By night we study our respective books from Iggwilv’s library. I make my way through the Demonomicon, but it is difficult work. I am forced to cast spells of comprehension to decipher the various passages in Auran, Abyssal, Infernal, and the strange magical languages of Purneia (the language of Dark Summons, Demons, Evil Entities) and Thanatos (Necromancy and Undead).

The time in the Barrier Peaks is restorative after the corruption of Iggwilv’s Horn. We are descending out of the mountains to the plains of the west and the relief among us is palpable. Eventually we reach the River Celiant and we are able to put Shrimpkin to use. Shrimpkin is Severance’s magical folding boat that we found within the Lost Caverns and had the incredible properties of being unsinkable and being able to travel swiftly in any direction by voice command, regardless of direction of current. Because of Shrimpkin, we are able to relax and study even as we travel down the river before camping on the shore at night.

The only noteworthy events are that we are attacked twice by devils sent by Visciannix the Pit Fiend. Who apparently is content to send his devils after us forever until we relinquish our part of the Rod of Law.

“Th’ situation seem’ t’ ‘ave no end,” says Severance as he cleans devil ichor off of the Sword of Aaqa and the Lightning Sword. “If th’ devils don’ die if slain anywhere but th’ planes o’ devils, th’n Visciannix will send devils forever.”

Snakeeyes hoists a devil carcass into the bonfire. “But what can we do? Travel across the Nine Hells to hunt down a Pit Fiend on his home grounds?”

Severance doesn’t answer but Ospar pipes up. “By the Grace of Hextor, I see three options. One: we give up the rod.”

At this Severance begins to object but Ospar makes placating gestures. “I’m not saying we do this, but it IS an option. Two:” he ticks off a finger. “We somehow get the piece away from Visciannix so he won’t always know where we are. Three:” he ticks off another finger. “We somehow destroy Visciannix himself.”

Markennon is gently strumming his lyre next to the bonfire and burning devil carcasses. “And how do we either find a pit fiend in all of the Nine Hells, or convince him to come to us?”

I look up from the Demonomicon. “Wait. We don’t have to do it, but we could compel one to do it for us.”

“What are you talking about?” says Markennon.

Ospar looks at the book in my lap. “Are you out of your mind?”

“Possibly. But unless we want to hide in Thalos forever so the Devils cannot gate to us, we have to do something.” I say.

Snakeeys is rolling his empty pipe in his fingers. “What are you talking about?”

I pat the book. “We can compel Tsojcanth to solve this problem for us. We can use Natasha’s work to our advantage. As it turns out, Natasha has bound Tsojcanth as a seal to stop the widening of a tear in the fabric of existence that was allowing the abyssal taint to flow unchecked into our world. Tsojcanth is a living plug to halt the tear while it healed itself. The final event was to be Natasha casting Tsojcanth back through the tear to seal it once and for all, but she was attacked and betrayed by Graz’zt first.”

“Fasc’nating! Genius!” cries Severance, our budding demonologist. “Bu’ ‘ow c’n tha’ lore ‘elp us?”

“Tsojcanth told us he was desperate to be let out of his prison. What if we laid down conditions of his release?” I pat the leather and brass volume in my lap again. “What if I lay a compulsion on him to slay Visciannix, retrieve the rod for us and then pass willingly through the tear? Followed by an order forbidding him from ever returning to this realm forevermore.”

“Tha’ ‘s insane! Are you mad, Pepper? D’you ‘ave any idea wha’ you be doin’? Sendin’ a demon prince aft’r a Lord o’ Devils?”

“It’s a risk, sure.” I say. “But don’t you want to know if we can do it?” I grin a reckless grin, tantalized by the idea. “What have we got to lose?”

Snakeeyes says, “Besides everything? Besides putting the knowledge of who we are and where we are into both Tsojcanth and Visciannix? Besides that, nothing. Nothing at all.”

“I can do it alone, if you want. Why don’t the four of you head back to Thalos, and I’ll meet you there when I am finished.” Now that I have this bug, I’m excited to get to work.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Tetracube posted:

I too have rolled low on dice

That was to go along with the story Yawgmoth posted. That was the attempt at bluff before switching to intimidate.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

senrath posted:

That was to go along with the story Yawgmoth posted. That was the attempt at bluff before switching to intimidate.

Also, I'm level 17 and should not be bluffing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Agrikk posted:

“It’s a risk, sure.” I say. “But don’t you want to know if we can do it?” I grin a reckless grin, tantalized by the idea. “What have we got to lose?”
I could absolutely see any of my players saying this, but Keryth most of all. Keryth is the decidedly Chaotic Evil Fey-ri Jade Obsidian Phoenix Mage with a penchant for murder and blood magic and murder with blood magic & blood-absorbing kukris. The other party members aren't capital-e Evil per se, but they all have the thought of "I can't kill her on my own and I don't want to piss her off, and even if I got the other two to help at least one of us would die in the attempt. Probably two. Maybe all three of us." as their justification for following her mad plot to become a god through copious amounts of violence.

I had no intentions of this being an evil game when it started but that is definitely where it has gone. :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My wizard, Og (mentioned on previous page) has a whopping 5 Charisma, with a -3 modifier. Not proficient in any of the social skills.

This doesn't stop him from attempting to be the face of the party.

It works exactly as well as you would expect.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Agrikk posted:

“What have we got to lose?”

It's always nice to have a point you can refer back to that can be identified as exactly when everything went wrong.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

ConfusedUs posted:

My wizard, Og (mentioned on previous page) has a whopping 5 Charisma, with a -3 modifier. Not proficient in any of the social skills.

This doesn't stop him from attempting to be the face of the party.

It works exactly as well as you would expect.

My paladin has Charisma 20 and proficiency in Persuasion, and yet our party face is neither her nor the noble-born sorcerer but rather the objectively insane bard/barbarian with middling stats and a tendency toward cannibalism.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

My current Pathfinder 1E party (playing through Ruins of Azlant):

Zurai, a dragon, using the rules from In the Company of Dragons Expanded (not nearly as OP as you might expect)
Dendra, a minotaur druid with Tusk-Tusk, her walrus animal companion
Mr. Grumbles, a cat sorcerer (using rules from some Mythos-based source)
Bartholomew, a "perfectly normal human" (read: Gillman -- and the player did not know about the Aboleths in RoA before making the character) rogue

It is by far the best party I've ever been in for amusing intra-party byplay. My character tried to eat Mr. Grumbles and is eyeing up Tusk-Tusk, waiting until he becomes more manageably bite-sized. Mr. Grumbles is the party face, except that he's a cat. Bartholomew's player does an incredible job in the role of "looks like a human, talks like a human, is definitely not a human". And, while in most parties the minotaur would be the odd one out, Dendra is actually our straight woman. Which, I guess, does actually make her the odd one out still.

Dendra's player takes in-character notes so that we can remember what happened in previous sessions, and when she can't be there, one of the other players takes notes instead. Mr. Grumbles's notes were hilarious, I really wish I had access to them to post.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The next Tanicus campaign starts this Sunday. I got a sneak preview of my figure, a Fallen Aasimar Warlock. Pact of the Chain. Undying patron in the form of Lorcan Morvaine, the Lich King, the most powerful necromancer on Tanicus and militant atheist who once told a deity "I am the Lich King. Why would I lower myself to be a god?" :getin:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Man your group cranks through campaigns. I admit to being jealous.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Yawgmoth posted:

I could absolutely see any of my players saying this, but Keryth most of all. Keryth is the decidedly Chaotic Evil Fey-ri Jade Obsidian Phoenix Mage with a penchant for murder and blood magic and murder with blood magic & blood-absorbing kukris. The other party members aren't capital-e Evil per se, but they all have the thought of "I can't kill her on my own and I don't want to piss her off, and even if I got the other two to help at least one of us would die in the attempt. Probably two. Maybe all three of us." as their justification for following her mad plot to become a god through copious amounts of violence.

I had no intentions of this being an evil game when it started but that is definitely where it has gone. :v:

As the person playing Keryth, I should probably chime in, because it really is a hilarious case of “Power Corrupts”. The original intent of the character was that she’s a Blood if Vol heretic (because her Great-grandfather Carnan bucked church doctrine way back when (because being undead means you were a loser who couldn’t hack it, and that goes all the way to the top), and eventually got himself and his followers ruthlessly exterminates. By the time of the game, Keryth has lived her entire life basically on the run. But in keeping with the true path of the Blood of Vol, she’s pursuing divinity through martial excellence. Very straight-laced, very focused. Wouldn’t be out of place in Kill Six Billion Demons.

Campaign gets underway, stuff happens, things get stabbed. Eventually we start running into same stuff that traces back to blood magic—Maho (an excellent bit of homebrew by Yawg). It’s about what you’d expect from blood magic—an easy but highly corrupting path to power. Side effects include mutations and insanity. It is, in Keryth’s opinion, the same kind of path for losers as being undead. Eventually, we get dispatched on a mission to some mines where elder god blood is being harvested. Long story that is the entirety of a previous campaign. In the course of that, two things of note happen: the first is that Keryth acquires the Rajah’s Bloodletter, a particularly nasty kukri of demonic make (she got wrecked by it before Piggy pasted its wielder), and we ran into a bound kansen (probably spelling that wrong).

Kansen are horrible blood magic spirits. It offered to teach us, for a price. I, thinking it would be amusing, decided to go in for a ninth level spell. It costs too much HP to ever cast, but it’s a neat hypothetical to have. This also opens up the Maho-Tsukai prestige class, which has a number of excellent abilities besides the actual Maho, like burning HP for action points, or to remove fatigue. Plus it’s full BAB, and just generally more useful than being a straight-up swordsage—I even keep my maneuver progression! I just won’t touch the magic, it’s not needed.

And that continued for a while! We trekked up through the Demon Wastes in search of one of the Macguffins we’re after, and somewhere along the line she did start using the magic very sparingly. We needed all the edge we could get to survive there. Nothing so drastic that she couldn’t resist the side effects (admittedly she did pick up “murderous” as an insanity from the one save I failed around this time). She eventually does and triggers her contingent Reincarnate that turned her into a Fey’ri (she was a normal elf before). Also, we return to the mines which have become evil-infested again, and everyone else’s eyes explode because of an enemy they kept botching saves on, so she finally accepts a physical mutation in a pact with a kansen to heal them.

We head out to Q’barra to deal with a dracolich problem once and for all. Notably along the way, due to an incident unloading a shitload of drugs we ended up with, the rest of the party work with the Karrnathi military to invent “Wastenought” for the Karrnathi military, an incredible combat drug that eventually kills you and raises you as a karrnathi zombie. Also they agree to help attack Thrane to trial run this stuff. Surprisingly, I was the only one who thought that was maybe a bad idea. Also, Keryth detours the group to plunder the secrets of an ancient blood mage, Carnamagos, who’s a weird semi-divine pseudo-vampire, and was once one of great-grandpa Carnan’s peers.

Anyways, we get the phylactery of Goratrix, saving the world from the threat of another genocide by dragons. But we need to destroy it somehow. We initially think to huck it into the Silver Flame, but get interrupted by another random attack by Keryth’s long-running Blood of Vol loyalist (and also a blood mage) rival, who we finally kill once and for all, much to Keryth’s disappointment. A strong recurring enemy is great practice, after all. Yawg offhandedly mentions that the phylactery would be a valid material component for Apocalypse From the Sky. I pick the spell at level-up, because hey, funny backup plan. This is when we get the invitation from Lady Vol, and hey, two birds, one stone! Vanquish Goratrix for good, eliminate the heart of the conspiracy trying to subvert Karrnathi, all for the low price of some barely-inhabited islands! And now by unleashing the Demon-Powered Antipope, we can free Thrane and learn more about the location of the next Macguffin!

By this point Keryth throws around so much blood magic in combat (boosted by plunder from Carnamagos) that I don’t even bother rolling the save anymore, it’s impossible to pass. I just roll to find what exciting new way she gets mentally imbalanced. Right now the big trend has been gaining dream power at the cost of worsening insomnia. Which is fine, she can just angry the exhaustion away! Also, having mastered Jade Obsidian Phoenix Mage, She has, flavorwise, broken the typical bonds of death in favor of reincarnating forever.

The moral of the story is that blood magic is great and has never caused any problems ever for anyone who wasn’t a weakling who deserved the messy end they got. Everyone should try it! Or don’t, either way you’re probably just another bloody stepping stone on her road to godhood.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Agrikk posted:

Man your group cranks through campaigns. I admit to being jealous.

For real. I would pay a monthly fee to be in a campaign as solid as Tanicus.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

the_steve posted:

For real. I would pay a monthly fee to be in a campaign as solid as Tanicus.

Hell, I'd dabble in blood magic to be that good a DM

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
My problem is mostly friends working shifts or starting to have families now they're getting around 30. As an adult out of education finding a consistent schedule with friends is working a miracle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

HiKaizer posted:

My problem is mostly friends working shifts or starting to have families now they're getting around 30. As an adult out of education finding a consistent schedule with friends is working a miracle.

Try band rehearsals for three guys in their forties with wife/kids/jobs. It’s the same thing.

I miss my band. I miss my gaming group.