Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oxyclean posted:

Oh, huh, I'm only at 9 villagers but I got a camper today. I assumed you didn't get campers till you were at 10. Doesn't seem like I can do anything with them (I presume if I build a plot I can ask them to move in, but I don't want this particular camper.)

Yeah campers can show up whenever, they're just pretty rare.

Also what are some fun shapes for ponds? I have part of my island I'm remodeling that I want to have shaped bodies of water but I'm kinda drawing a blank. I have a paw one, made a fish one but it kinda looked really stupid and just mulling it over as a small project to do. (It's fun to see them on the mini map!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also what are some fun shapes for ponds? I have part of my island I'm remodeling that I want to have shaped bodies of water but I'm kinda drawing a blank. I have a paw one, made a fish one but it kinda looked really stupid and just mulling it over as a small project to do. (It's fun to see them on the mini map!)

Can you do the Nook leaf?

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

I have a pond surrounded by customised decoy ducks with a tiny island in the middle with another duck on it.

More fake animals for my animal island please.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've got a goat that I'm indifferent about who was interested in moving out so I didn't really dissuade them. Will this prompt an appearance of a camper, or do I have to go start hunting islands for villagers again?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

HopperUK posted:

Can you do the Nook leaf?

Hey worth a shot!

Martytoof posted:

I've got a goat that I'm indifferent about who was interested in moving out so I didn't really dissuade them. Will this prompt an appearance of a camper, or do I have to go start hunting islands for villagers again?

Campers are true RNG and you get one roll of it a day, they're not effected by anything - they're just really rare.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm curious about the campsite too, I got Lucha as soon as I set it up (villager number...7-ish?) but haven't seen a thing happen with it in probably a couple weeks now.
I was hoping folks would be showing up more regularly to give me a chance to update the population.

They show up periodically. I had my first random one last week. It was a cow named Tipper. Tempting. Her catchphrase was "Pushy," which got a chuckle out of me, but I didn't like her enough to force someone else out.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The default pond my island started with looked vaguely like a Super Mushroom, which was neat. How about a heart shape?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Campers are true RNG and you get one roll of it a day, they're not effected by anything - they're just really rare.

Whoops somehow I missed camperchat right above my post. Thanks!

Looks like I'm going back to random Nook Islands for some fun campers.

Also: Please leave, Deli. Please leave.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Stupid question but if you have a camper, but currently don't have a plot of land available can they not move in?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also since Phoebe moved out I spent my morning using tickets to look for villagers

My 3rd person that showed up on a island? Phoebe. I ran up to get her but she didn't remember me and was restored to factory setting so I walked away thinking that was lame. Next island had Apollo. Thought man, that's a winner right there... but I have 20 tickets would be a waste to not see what else I can RNG up... 20 tickets of nightmares later and now Judy s moving in

A cautionary tale

track day bro! posted:

Stupid question but if you have a camper, but currently don't have a plot of land available can they not move in?

If your village is full and there's no open plot they'll ask to kick someone out and take over. You either take who they want to remove or leave it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

What defines if a pond can have fish? Just size? I made an artificial one around a fountain next to my town hall. During the fishing tourney, I tried putting bait in, but the game refused and said there were no fish there.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Bobulus posted:

What defines if a pond can have fish? Just size? I made an artificial one around a fountain next to my town hall. During the fishing tourney, I tried putting bait in, but the game refused and said there were no fish there.

Size. It seems like as long as it's like... 5x5 it'll spawn fish.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

LODGE NORTH posted:

New day, back at it again. I have the pink drinks machine:

I want to trade it for the red snacks machine:

If you're down for this, please PM me here or on Discord!

edit: This trade will have to happen after, like, 11AM EST. (It is currently 4AM EST)

I have the red snack machine and won't mind trading for a pink drinks machine. I can only play after 8PM EST if that's alright.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

track day bro! posted:

Seems like that. I have 9 villagers and 9 plots, I talked to my camper multiple times and there wasn't any discussion about moving in.

I assume if I put down plot 10 I'll be able to invite them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I finally ignored Paula long enough that she finally appeared and asked to move out. She was boring, but her real sin was sleeping until 10 AM and then leaving an "I'm out!" message on her door while not being anywhere locate-able on the island for hours. Goodbye Paula, social distancing champion of Catopia.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

What a relief that cracks are fossils, fish are fish, and trees are wood again.

Tauschemo
Jul 11, 2011

I have two people moving into plots tomorrow and 2 more plots available, but i'm not getting anyone showing up on mystery islands.
Can only a certain number be moving in tomorrow?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tauschemo posted:

I have two people moving into plots tomorrow and 2 more plots available, but i'm not getting anyone showing up on mystery islands.
Can only a certain number be moving in tomorrow?

Only one. If someone has claimed a plot of land you won't find anyone else out there.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I have black and white lighthouses in my Nook terminal, and I've arranged with a friend to get a red and white one from him.

If someone has any of the other colors, I'd be glad to trade lighthouses. (Or name it if there's something else you'd like to trade for.)

I can't do this until later on today though. Some time after 2:00 pm US east coast time.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Oxyclean posted:

Seems like that. I have 9 villagers and 9 plots, I talked to my camper multiple times and there wasn't any discussion about moving in.

I assume if I put down plot 10 I'll be able to invite them.

Not sure if this is different because in my case it was an amiibo camper (Diana), but when she talked about moving in, I hadn't put up a plot yet. So I told her she should move in and she said she'd go talk to Tom Nook or whoever. Then I came back and she said she had talked to him, but there wasn't space available. I went immediately to Tom Nook, and got a plot creator thingy, went somewhere on the island and set it up. Went back to the Campground and talked to her again and she was all "well let me just double check - maybe there was a mistake," then she was like "guess what! there IS a spot for me! I'll move in tomorrow!"

Things to note:

- She was my 6th villager - so I am nowhere near capacity.
- again - used an amiibo card. Not sure if that affects things.
- took inviting her 3 times before I got the talk about her moving in. On visits 1 & 2, I could ask her, but she'd say "I need to visit more"

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Is there a good thorough explanation to how new residents move in and out?

I read somewhere (maybe this thread) that, after the first camper, you could get some choice in whether a resident moves in or not, but I built a new plot and another frog camper (Croque) moved in. So, how do I actually make it so I have some say in who moves in, and how do I get this guy to leave?

Udenpah
Mar 26, 2007
To see the mote that I preferred to all the lists of clay

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Only one. If someone has claimed a plot of land you won't find anyone else out there.

Ah, that's what happened to me. I placed two housing plots, got one filled from the campsite, and saw nobody on 5 mystery islands. I waited a day to try again only to find the second house was already sold to a nightmare panda named chow. Oof. Now I'm more carefully screening for the last slot.

Unrelated, non-goons on turnip exchange are whack. Bless this forum of kindly weirdos.

Also unrelated, the AA on custom designs is infuriating and made me give up on the dream of re-making the Doom I end screen but with zipper's mask for bunny day.

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Delicious flakes of butt!
Edit: dumb post about my feelings and nobody cares.

Buttflakes fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 13, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Waffle! posted:

What a relief that cracks are fossils, fish are fish, and trees are wood again.

There were still the same number of fossils before. Where I was really hurting was clay

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Inu posted:

I have black and white lighthouses in my Nook terminal, and I've arranged with a friend to get a red and white one from him.

If someone has any of the other colors, I'd be glad to trade lighthouses. (Or name it if there's something else you'd like to trade for.)

I can't do this until later on today though. Some time after 2:00 pm US east coast time.

I'll get you a blue and white one if you want. Don't really need anything in return as honestly I'm still figuring out what I want to do with the rest of my island. Just trying to get bells for more construction :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You didn't get used for a Nintendo switch dude, she offered to send you money for it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

HaB posted:

Not sure if this is different because in my case it was an amiibo ...

Amiibo campers specifically function differently, in that you need to invite them 3 times and convince them to move. Additionally, they have you craft stuff, and will let you choose who they replace. (If your town is maxed.)

As far as I've heard regular campers are just one visit, if you don't have space for them, you play a minigame and they tell you who'd they'd replace. (You can refuse, but you can't change who they choose to replace.)

Plank Walker posted:

Is there a good thorough explanation to how new residents move in and out?

I read somewhere (maybe this thread) that, after the first camper, you could get some choice in whether a resident moves in or not, but I built a new plot and another frog camper (Croque) moved in. So, how do I actually make it so I have some say in who moves in, and how do I get this guy to leave?

Villagers 3-5 & 7-10 you can control who moves in, in the sense that you can visit nook islands and find villagers and talk ask them to come live on your island. In both cases it's based on having an open plot - if there's no open plots, there's no villagers on the islands. In both cases, if you wait, the plots will fill on their own with random villagers. Once a plot is filled (the sign will be marked with "sold" and will tell you who is moving in) you can't do anything about it.

7-10 is the "after" the camper that people have talked about. At this point Nook lets you pay 10k to buy plots, so you can totally do it at your own pace. If you want the most control over who moves in, save up a ton of Nook miles, put down a plot, then hit islands till you find someone you like. Don't put down more plots then you feel like you can fill with island visits so you don't have randos move in.

Move-outs are generally random - and once someone has moved out you can try to fill the plot by island hopping like above, but I assume it can auto-fill as well.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

sorry your friend doesn't like this kind of game. hope you don't die. animal crossing is cute and nice, here have an egg 🥚

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You didn't get used for a Nintendo switch dude, she offered to send you money for it

Ok, thanks, I guess....

Edit: I should clarify that she wanted the game as well and the Switch, like.... she wanted to play with me, I didn't force her to do so.

Perhaps sharing my story here was a bad move after all.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

How does rotating villagers work when you're already at 10? I don't think I could bring myself to somehow be mean to these nice animals if that's what you're meant to do in order to open up a spot.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

Amiibo campers specifically function differently, in that you need to invite them 3 times and convince them to move. Additionally, they have you craft stuff, and will let you choose who they replace. (If your town is maxed.)

As far as I've heard regular campers are just one visit, if you don't have space for them, you play a minigame and they tell you who'd they'd replace. (You can refuse, but you can't change who they choose to replace.)

Villagers 3-5 & 7-10 you can control who moves in, in the sense that you can visit nook islands and find villagers and talk ask them to come live on your island. In both cases it's based on having an open plot - if there's no open plots, there's no villagers on the islands. In both cases, if you wait, the plots will fill on their own with random villagers. Once a plot is filled (the sign will be marked with "sold" and will tell you who is moving in) you can't do anything about it.

7-10 is the "after" the camper that people have talked about. At this point Nook lets you pay 10k to buy plots, so you can totally do it at your own pace. If you want the most control over who moves in, save up a ton of Nook miles, put down a plot, then hit islands till you find someone you like. Don't put down more plots then you feel like you can fill with island visits so you don't have randos move in.

Move-outs are generally random - and once someone has moved out you can try to fill the plot by island hopping like above, but I assume it can auto-fill as well.

Awesome thanks for the write-up. I mistakenly thought that after the camper, additional campers would show up and I could refuse them.

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Wilekat posted:

How does rotating villagers work when you're already at 10? I don't think I could bring myself to somehow be mean to these nice animals if that's what you're meant to do in order to open up a spot.

I know what you mean, but unfortunately you gotta tell them to move, so you kinda have to be mean... but you're never really mean to them, your character is always like "have a good trip!" Or whatever... not that that helps or anything...

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'll get you a blue and white one if you want. Don't really need anything in return as honestly I'm still figuring out what I want to do with the rest of my island. Just trying to get bells for more construction :v:

Awesome! I'll PM you a Dodo code around 2:00. I've got extra cash right now, so I'll drop off a tip for your troubles.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Julian stopped DIYing the Gold Armor despite my best efforts. Sorry, folks! Gates are still open for Kicks (has the Power Boots) and Abel's with Skeleton costume. Dodo Code closed

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 13, 2020

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Wilekat posted:

People will randomly tell you they're thinking of moving, and you can either say yes or no. (I mean, it's framed as just encouraging them but I think they always go with your choice in this game).

You do not need to ignore people or hit them with a net and in fact I've never seen any evidence that doing so actually makes them more likely to move out.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

Awesome thanks for the write-up. I mistakenly thought that after the camper, additional campers would show up and I could refuse them.

That's not wrong - additional campers will show up at the campsite but you're not forced to take them like you were the first camper. It's just pretty rare for people to show up at the campsite. (Today is the first time I've seen someone there since I built it like a week after launch?) and it also doesn't circumvent paying 10k to put down a plot.

But most people are using the process I described to get villagers 7-10 since it gives you a lot more control. (And you need 8 villagers to hit 3 stars and unlock terraforming)

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Snake Maze posted:

People will randomly tell you they're thinking of moving, and you can either say yes or no. (I mean, it's framed as just encouraging them but I think they always go with your choice in this game).

You do not need to ignore people or hit them with a net and in fact I've never seen any evidence that doing so actually makes them more likely to move out.

I swear one of my original three asked me this and I said not to leave but she still did. Could be mistaken but I was surprised the next day when the announcement was made.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Buttflakes posted:

Ok, thanks, I guess....

Edit: I should clarify that she wanted the game as well and the Switch, like.... she wanted to play with me, I didn't force her to do so.

Perhaps sharing my story here was a bad move after all.

It’s sad that things didn’t work out with your friend.

We can be e-friends in Animal Crossing, but I think you’re only gonna get genuine support from real people. Please consider talking to someone you know and trust or at least someone who understands your situation.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone happen to have a bamboo floor design? acpatterns search function is not functioning for me right now, was hoping to make my little bamboo grove/meditation spot have a cool bamboo lookin' floor.

Also, I got my first campsite visitor, Kyle, and he moved in a few days ago. But my campsite has been empty since... do I have to invite animals from Nook islands or do they pop in randomly? I've been slacking on listening to Tom Nook, forgive me, thread :negative:

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

And More posted:

It’s sad that things didn’t work out with your friend.

We can be e-friends in Animal Crossing, but I think you’re only gonna get genuine support from real people. Please consider talking to someone you know and trust or at least someone who understands your situation.

I have support and whatnot. I have a couple other friends.. just nobody to play the game with and it's one of those games that's nice to have a fellow player to trade items and talk...
I'ma go ahead and edit that post out after all, but thanks for being nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LastGoodBoy posted:

Hey, what's that middle category in this pic? I don't have whatever that is on mine.

WTF is this promotion tab?? Definitely been looking for that cookie cart though.

Also, these nook Miles achievements are getting a little whack. Trashed Tools, for breaking tools, goes up to 200. Okay, like, another month and I'll get there. The one for crafting tools however, I just reached 200 and was clenching my buttcheeks they didn't go crazy and make the next one 400... Instead it is ONE THOUSAND. That isn't even the last level, there's another level after 1,000!!! So, craft 200 tools, but break probably over 2,000. At some point seems like I might just craft a ton of the worst quality axe or shovel and break them over and over on a dead rock.