Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Coral Red interior is the best interior sorry lads.

I just bought a 2012 BMW 650i convertible - Black Sapphire Metallic with Coral Red interior. I like it, but it does look a bit whore-housey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ausgezeichnet posted:

I just bought a 2012 BMW 650i convertible - Black Sapphire Metallic with Coral Red interior. I like it, but it does look a bit whore-housey.

I both love it and want to know about the state of that engine out of abject terror. Awesome purchase.

I’ve been an ivory guy but my last few have been black inside. The new brown individual stuff is mighty nice too...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

mattdev posted:

I guess quarantine means I get to clean my car every other day.

My dealer just laid off a bunch of people instead.

Oregoon! Is it a Portland area dealer? Kuni??

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I've been up and down this thread but I can't find any advice, so here goes: I've got a 2006 E91 MSport 323i wagon. It has diff noise. Enough to be annoying. Is this a common thing? Other forums seem to suggest it is, what do I do about it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
m3 conversion fixes it right up

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

You're sure it's the diff? What does it sound like?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My 09 E90 had the diff whine, my 06 did not. As far as I could tell, a decent block of years in there almost all did it. No idea what the actual cause or solution was.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Ultimate Mango posted:

I both love it and want to know about the state of that engine out of abject terror. Awesome purchase.

I’ve been an ivory guy but my last few have been black inside. The new brown individual stuff is mighty nice too...

It was a one owner trade-in (PO got a M8 :smugdon:) and has 18k miles on the clock. The timing chain SB was done, but I'm keeping an eye on it for sure. I'm really not a fan of black cars, but absolutely couldn't tolerate a black interior in a vert in SWFL. Second degree burns are no fun.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ausgezeichnet posted:

It was a one owner trade-in (PO got a M8 :smugdon:) and has 18k miles on the clock. The timing chain SB was done, but I'm keeping an eye on it for sure. I'm really not a fan of black cars, but absolutely couldn't tolerate a black interior in a vert in SWFL. Second degree burns are no fun.

Mrs Mango lllllloooooOOOOOOOOoooooooved the Hawaiian orient seat covers on my black S2K seats.

Now I can only do black seats if they are ventilated.

With 18k on the ODO you should be good for 30-40k more before GDCS, fuel pumps, and worse...

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Chrpno posted:

I've been up and down this thread but I can't find any advice, so here goes: I've got a 2006 E91 MSport 323i wagon. It has diff noise. Enough to be annoying. Is this a common thing? Other forums seem to suggest it is, what do I do about it?

Is this car new to you or have you had it a while and noticed the noise get worse?

I would start by ensuring the diff has a proper amoiunt of the correct gear oil in it. Next up would be vhecking the condition of your diff (and possibly subframe) bushings.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oregoon! Is it a Portland area dealer? Kuni??

Yeah, BMW Portland. Tons of their reps (including mine) got laid off.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

vaders suck if you're taller than like, 5'9

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

hifi posted:

vaders suck if you're taller than like, 5'9

Gotta let us short people have a win some time

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the e9x sport seats are the comfiest ever

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm 5'9" and Vader's are seat perfected.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The inward tilt on e30 seats was kinda weird tho. Felt like I was gonna need spinal realignment after sitting in them too long.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The best seats are the E9x M3 seats because they have that seat base bolster you can pull out to create room so you can rest your magnum dong comfortably before doing huge V8 burnouts :hellyeah:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Popete posted:

The inward tilt on e30 seats was kinda weird tho. Felt like I was gonna need spinal realignment after sitting in them too long.

If you mean the forward/back tilt of the entire seat, that is adjustable, at least on the sport seats in my old 325is.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

angryrobots posted:

If you mean the forward/back tilt of the entire seat, that is adjustable, at least on the sport seats in my old 325is.

No like the backrest had a slight side tilt towards the shifter. I swear both e30s I owned the seats where like this unless I just had two hosed up seats.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Germans made a seat called Daddy?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Vaders are good, e60/e63/64 sports are v. nice, but folks, I'm here to tell you Lux package e36 seats with the adjustable knee bolsters are the comfiest, best all-around seat (I'm 5'7")

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Crunchy Black posted:

I'm here to tell you Lux package e36 seats with the adjustable knee bolsters are the comfiest, best all-around seat (I'm 5'7")

Those were very Meh. The Novillo E9X seats are lightyears better. The leather is butter soft. You can adjust so many bolsters to hug every piece of your body in just the right way. I think the F8X M seats are also incredibly good.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I’m 6’1 and Vader’s still seem fine

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The Germans made a seat called Daddy?

No, Americans gave the seat a nickname that just happens to mean "father" in dutch

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ether Frenzy posted:

The best seats are the E9x M3 seats because they have that seat base bolster you can pull out to create room so you can rest your magnum dong comfortably before doing huge V8 burnouts :hellyeah:

Those have been around since at least the E30

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

E90 guys think they invented everything

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The iPhone of chassis codes.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BlackMK4 posted:

Lightbulb Out posted:

E90 guys think they invented everything

Cojawfee posted:

The iPhone of chassis codes.

Does that make the E30 a Blackberry? Android? Nokia 6820? :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BlackMK4 posted:

E21 Recaro's have them as well, note sure if the standard seats do.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I think the F8X M seats are also incredibly good.

They are. I did 18 hours or so of driving over a couple days on the way home with mine. My only actual issue was the angle of the seat back as I had a winter wheelset in the back and I couldn't quite get it to where I wanted.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Black on red BMWs own, the E82 sport seats are really comfy and all the e30s I've owned have had busted sports seats, at this point I think it's endemic to them unless they have been fixed

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/d/attleboro-rare-1999-bmw-5-series-manual/7107743116.html

this thing is very naise, no?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

They forgot the decimal point on that price somewhere.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Sure the E39 is great but if I was going to get one, about the only one I really have any interest in would be a very late run 530, or an M5.

Also, for that kind of money you can get a very clean 540 M-Sport very easily, and have money left over to fix some of the more glaring issues that a 20-year old German car will inevitably have.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the price is a little bit crack pipe, but 72.5k miles does give me a semi.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
As someone who bought a BMW that really isn't supposed to have a manual in it [e46 touring] I'd say its not worth it ultimately, especially at that price.

Who gives a poo poo about the mileage? Its a 20 year old car. Materials are old and poo poo is still going to break.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Since 2014, when i bought my 2001 525i with 300.000 km on it, everything that has broken and required replacing / fixing has been age related rather then mileage related. Except tires i guess.

*edit*

No wait, i replaced the winter tires due to age also, they looked pristine.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So is the seating position really low in BMW's or are all the men in 20's I see in the pathetically short? They kinda act the part in traffic but still.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

5'6" manlet checking in. BMW sport seats sit you pretty low, especially in the older cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
If I put a helmet on in my E46 M3, and lower the seat completely, the helmet still hits the roof. I’m 5’10”.