Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

stingtwo posted:

The designed for future systems was kinda true in the 90's right up til about 2006, when computers were sky rocketing in performance to the point of almost double cpu/ram and gpu speed and size every year, even the top systems couldn't play quake 2 but 6months later, newer PCs could handle it no issues.

Now with multicore systems being the norm, it just simply isn't true and Crysis was the 1st to blow that statement into water cause if quadcore and graphics cards released even 13 years later can't run it good, nothing will.

This is accurate, and it sheds some light on how far behind the industry Chris really is if he's pulling out 90's excuses and assuming they still apply today.

The few times I've tried to play Star Citizen, the abysmal performance wasn't what got to me. It was the abysmal performance for a game that looked and played as bad as it does.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've got a 12 core CPU, a 2080ti, 32gb RAM and an m.2 drive and this 'game' runs like crap, the reason is it's badly made, there is no other reason.
It's a game with PS3 era graphics that runs like fried arse, there are no reasons or excuses for this apart from it being a hacked together heap of shite

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Freelancer 2. Privateer 1.5

Fixed that for you.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Inacio posted:

starsector: is a good game
:same:

Scruffpuff posted:

It's one of the reasons I deliberately underprovision any VMs I have developers running unit tests on. The rule is simple: make it run as fast as you can on minimum resources. Try to overload it. I will monitor. When you can make this run reasonably fast on the poo poo specs I gave you, when I dial up the resources, there won't be any surprises.

And that approach works. It's amazing how many obvious logic missteps are completely obfuscated when you test on a machine that's too fast. Everything seems perfect until you deploy to production and introduce scale, then it's all head-scratching and shrugs. You don't need an overclocked I9 to scan a 5 KB text document for a character string - if it's slow, you coded something wrong.
This is an interesting approach :)

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

She'd be crazy to divorce now! Next year's gonna be better than ever!!!!

she'll get over it. a few million dollarinos and the eternal gratefulness of all backers, because her marketing genious was essential to make the BDSSE happen, will help.

she'll probably play a lot of doom, just like the hardcore retro gamer she is.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 13, 2020

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

How hilarious will it be if Crytek puts the next Crysis in space?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i cant believe the star citizen project ultimately failed because of the coronavirus global crisis

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
CI funding showing no signs of slowing down, in fact this year is projected to reach over $100m in total funding lol

just look at this poo poo

Total in April 2020 (so far): $1,390,373 (projected): $3,500,000
Total in April 2019: $2,565,499
Total in April 2018: $2,753,044
Total in April 2017: $2,626,614
Total in April 2016: $2,165,903
Total in April 2015: $3,211,615
Total in April 2014: $2,072,378
Total in April 2013: $615,252

just lol

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
lots of $1200 pledges incoming

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

phosdex posted:

How hilarious will it be if Crytek puts the next Crysis in space?

https://twitter.com/Crysis/status/1249714251360501761

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Quavers posted:

I've seen this shared about

wait elite dangerous has pvp? or is this stupid pie in the sky poo poo? because i've always been a little interested in space euro truck sim but honestly i hate pvp so much that if it's always-on then i'm just gonna hard pass on it

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this one tweet has more comments and likes than all star citizen tweets combined over the last 12 months

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

The White Dragon posted:

wait elite dangerous has pvp? or is this stupid pie in the sky poo poo? because i've always been a little interested in space euro truck sim but honestly i hate pvp so much that if it's always-on then i'm just gonna hard pass on it

It's completely optional

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: You mean they're done with frivolous lawsuits and are actually focusing on actually paying employees and.... Sorry, there's a bit too much bad blood surrounding this company to really get excited. I'll still welcome new Crysis anything, but they have a lot to prove.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

colonelwest posted:

Hey if the divorce rumors are true, then Sandi has come out on top of all this. She mooched off of the backers for 8 years, and in the end will scam the head scammer out of half of his ill-gotten wealth and walk away from this dumpster fire totally free. More power to her.

It's not a divorce, it's a refactoring of their living arrangements.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

I'm still waiting for Redeemer news :(

quote:

Todd Papy (Live Game Director) was surprised when asked about this PvP Bounties card in 3.9 & even promised to followup. That was 5 weeks ago.

quote:

A hole weekend grinding for this beauty with an amazing grinding partner and playing 2 times 12h non stop to get the eclipse aka the B2 of star citizen

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Scruffpuff posted:

[...]

You're implying that the game is so involved and complicated that it requires a monster machine to run. And the backers assume all this to be true, and it makes sense in their little minds. And it's all complete bullshit.

[...]

And this feeds into the whole "PC Master Race" thing many of the backers fall into. A hugely expensive computer isn't seen as a drawback- it's a plus. A barrier of entry to keep the plebs out, a PC with fifteen fans to show off how cool and rich you are to spend so much on your gaming.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Quavers posted:

:reddit: You mean they're done with frivolous lawsuits and are actually focusing on actually paying employees and.... Sorry, there's a bit too much bad blood surrounding this company to really get excited. I'll still welcome new Crysis anything, but they have a lot to prove.

I hate this company but why yes I will buy their new game

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Kosumo posted:

It's not a divorce, it's a refactoring of their living arrangements.

:lol:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJtMQLHch2Y

Hmmmm, Déjà PU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: "I thought it was a good time to once again discuss the dangers of crowdfunded video game projects."

That, in and of itself, is a perfectly reasonable, sensible, and necessary thing to do. The problem is that this video includes multiple examples of someone outright falling for some of the fallacies most frequently associated with crowdfunding projects.

Crowdfunding is actually very simple to undrestand: you are not paying for a game, or for a pre-order. You're paying for a developer to spend a little time working on it. You'll generally find that this is met with some form of promised gods - usually a copy of the game - but even that's not a prerequisite (Bloodtained is one example of a game that had tiers where people could back the game without there being any reciprocation).

That's the aspect that most people don't quite grasp, and which tends to colour their perception of crowdfunding as an alternative to conventional development/publication. This video makes the exact same mistake several times, beginning with the repeated pointing out of that Dec 2017 date. That's not a promised release date, it's an approximate estimate based on the information they have at that time (in mid-2016, in this instance). If anything, the commentary regarding the Sept 2016 update was even more irrational, with this video actually trying to draw a connection between a cited figure and a planned launch date as if they were in any way either legally binding or systematically interconnected.

For perspective, recent noteworthy delays from even long-established studioes with literal centuries of experience include >2 years for Breath of the Wild, ~1.5 years for Witcher 3, ~2 years and counting for Cyberpunk 2077 (original internal release period was 2017-21, but that was for two games, with Cyberpunk being the first to launch), and ~2 years for Persona 5. And that's ignoring FF15, which could technically have been said to have been planned to release in 2009-10, instead releasing 6-7 years later.

This is less a warning about the inherent risks of crowdfunding and more a self-serving rant from someone who's too compulsive to understand the difference between crowdfunding and pre-ordering themselves.

Seriously, look at this poo poo:

"Soulbound Studios is going to require another $2 Million more than that to get anywhere near completion. And with server hosting fees, QA work, etc., it would really be better if that was up around $3M instead."

How does that statement - in which they're perfectly concise in saying that this is to get them somewhere "near completion" - morph into "That right there is a stone-cold association between completion - or, at least, "nEaR cOmPlEtIoN" - and $3m more in funding.". That inference is simply untenable.

This amounts to "They guessed at a cost and time, and got it wrong, therefore SCAM!!!!!".

Know what you'd be on firmer ground with? The part about them using Kickstarter funding as proof of interest to other publishers. Shenmue 3 pulled the same poo poo, as did Mighty No. 9, and people were furious about that because it's a flagrant abuse of how those crowdfunding campaigns were presented. As I don't see any early statements regarding this being the intent here I have to agree with the video that this is an attempt to retrospectively justify their seeking of publishers for additional funding.

That criticism has a rock-solid basis. Whining about release dates and poor funding estimates is not, and actually says far more about the irresponsibility of anyone who adopts that view and/or backs such a campaign in the expectation of viewing those dates/funding estimates as legally binding.

There's also something to the discrepancy between recent statements, with one strongly implying that development is indefinitely halted while another states otherwise. That sounds like someone trying to emotionally blackmail a captive audience, so I'd keep a very close eye on that. Still, though, none of that requires the earlier missteps in logic or comprehension, and are harmed by association with them. Try to avoid poisoning the well.

^^^ May or may not be a Star Citizen backer :allears:

:v: 8 million is chicken feed compared to others that shall not be mentioned lest they descend upon this sub.

:cool: Galactic inhabitant?

:classiclol: Are we talking about Heavenly Body Resident?

:banjo: Cosmic undocumented dweller

:D universe denizen?

:j: Firmament Resident - Finished any moment now.

:eng101: yOu jUsT dOnT uNdErStaNd wHaT iTs lIKe tO iNVeSt iN sOmEtHiNg tHiS BiG aND tO wAtCh iT gRoW

:newlol: Cosmic Comrade?

Quavers fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 13, 2020

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

"ive talked about this with other crowd funded games in the past like star citizen, but there the money is actually producing something"

lol

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The White Dragon posted:

ED has 3 modes you can play in, Open, Private Group, Solo. All play on the same "server" but who you can meet depends on the mode you pick. Open is the de facto PvP mode as you can shoot at any other players you meet in Open if you want. You can try and pirate them or just blow them up. Some will fight back, some will call you nasty names after you blow them up, some will escape and laugh at you, some will not communicate even if you do blow them up. Some might send you a GG.

PvP is terribly unbalanced though since if you are not flying a combat fitted ship, it means you have sacrificed combat ability to do something else, not to mention the massive difference in capabilities of ships from the big to the small. Having said that, between competent combat pilots you do see David vs Goliath situations as bigger ships tend to be less manouverable and vulnerable to competent pilots flying smaller more agile ships.

When i play in open, which is rare, i'll generally stick to flying fast ships. The imperial clipper is great for flying in open. Decent capacity but one of the fastest ships in the game. Even if interdicted, not many ships can keep up with it, and if they can, it means they have sacrificed carrying heavy armour, which is rare for PvPers to do, because it makes them weak against other PvPers.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

"...overly ambitious yet very generic."

Certainly seems familiar.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

Bloodtained is one example
bloodTaned symphony of the citizen

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

It’s funny how quaint 8 million dollars seems compared to Chris Robert’s colossal 300 million dollar monument to idiocy.

But yeah, don’t crowdfund an MMO, especially one with ambitions of becoming a life simulator. That lesson should be abundantly clear in TYOL 2020.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheAgent posted:

CI funding showing no signs of slowing down, in fact this year is projected to reach over $100m in total funding lol

just lol

What you FUDsters refuse to understand is that pictures of video game spaceships are the only safe financial asset in these troubled times.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

One guess as to how soon into the Kickstarter comments there's a post: "MMO is development hard. At least they tried".

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

TheAgent posted:

just lol

I just looked at this poo poo, and wondered, what is the threshold amount of funding to make it worthwhile for the FBI to investigate for money laundering?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Lukas_Genever/status/1247874121800863746

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Beexoffel posted:

I just looked at this poo poo, and wondered, what is the threshold amount of funding to make it worthwhile for the FBI to investigate for money laundering?

I feel like video games have to be one of the easiest platforms for getting away with money laundering and the like simply because nobody who matters actually cares about them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

surely the more likely answer is the funding tracker is completely made up bullshit

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AbstractNapper posted:

One guess as to how soon into the Kickstarter comments there's a post: "MMO is development hard. At least they tried".

The real XP was the friends we made along the way

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

I should submit my resume.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

colonelwest posted:

What you FUDsters refuse to understand is that pictures of video game spaceships are the only safe financial asset in these troubled times.
Thousands of years in the future, some archeologists will dig up stashes of something that will look like pictures of crude void vessels of uncertain purpose, thinking they were perhaps some kind of early 3rd millenium currency buried during the time of troubles, just like people were burying silver and gold coins during the plague or after the collapse of Western Roman Empire.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Agony Aunt posted:

ED has 3 modes you can play in, Open, Private Group, Solo. All play on the same "server" but who you can meet depends on the mode you pick. Open is the de facto PvP mode as you can shoot at any other players you meet in Open if you want. You can try and pirate them or just blow them up. Some will fight back, some will call you nasty names after you blow them up, some will escape and laugh at you, some will not communicate even if you do blow them up. Some might send you a GG.

PvP is terribly unbalanced though since if you are not flying a combat fitted ship, it means you have sacrificed combat ability to do something else, not to mention the massive difference in capabilities of ships from the big to the small. Having said that, between competent combat pilots you do see David vs Goliath situations as bigger ships tend to be less manouverable and vulnerable to competent pilots flying smaller more agile ships.

When i play in open, which is rare, i'll generally stick to flying fast ships. The imperial clipper is great for flying in open. Decent capacity but one of the fastest ships in the game. Even if interdicted, not many ships can keep up with it, and if they can, it means they have sacrificed carrying heavy armour, which is rare for PvPers to do, because it makes them weak against other PvPers.

I enjoyed PvP in ED (and the game in general) until they added ship engineering. It introduced a huge new grind to an already grindy game. I keep thinking I'll get back into it and putter around in my Python.

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!

colonelwest posted:

True, but let's not forget about the monthly paychecks from DS for shitposting. They are the only thing keeping my family afloat these days.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:trustme: it's a bullshit made-up task, and because you noticed we're removing it from the roadmap :v:

:reddit: So one of the only gameplay features actually on this patch is not real, and CIG claims they didn't even know it existed. How can anyone on here not become more skeptical of this project on a daily basis. I've been around since the beginning. I am not a 'refundian'. I have defended the game from lots of criticism while doling out where appropriate. I understand it may take a while, which I am not worried about. But the lack of transparency this last year has been astounding. Especially regarding Squadron 42. They just don't give a gently caress about keeping us in the know anymore, and that is very worrisome. Like I wonder what's actually happening here.

Quavers fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 13, 2020

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

programming outside? Ah, their coders just can't see what's on the screen. Delays and (minor!) bugs explained. Now that we know they are simply unable to see what they are typing you fudsters can stop inventing outrageous reasons why development has been so slow, this is industry standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Like I wonder what's actually happening here.

You've all been conned lol