Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Their profile is insane. Apparently all her kids joined the military and ghosted her, and she has attempted to contact their COs to get in touch with them and has hired a PI at one point to find out info about her grand daughter.

I don't even want to know what happened in that family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
The kids ended up not being straight, is really the only thing that really stands out to me (other than the usual broke brains style of writing).

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
That poem makes it sound like one of her kids came out as trans and she took it so poorly all her kids told her to gently caress off forever.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
At least two of her kids are estranged from the rest of the family, including each other

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Who What Now posted:

That poem makes it sound like one of her kids came out as trans and she took it so poorly all her kids told her to gently caress off forever.

Bets that the mother also expected them to take over care for the autistic brother?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

In the end

we're all just cakes

In the microwave

I wish not to eat a single bite

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Her kids fought all the time and the brother got braces which upset the siblings.

I have a feeling there was an unequal distribution of love and material goods leading to resentment and jealousy among the kids. Probably the other child's complaint was that she spent disproportionately on the preferred brother, while they went without. "Dealt with pinworms" gives me the creeps because I wonder if the poor kid had to deal with mum's homemade curative while their brother got cosmetic bracers.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I kinda get hoarder vibes with that and the cats pissing on clothes thing.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

Even as teens they would resist family outings.
What do you mean, "even"? That's what teenagers do! This is one of those dead giveaways that someone doesn't know how humans work.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

In the end

we're all just cakes

In the microwave

I wish not to eat a single bite

Amazing.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Strong Convections posted:

Her kids fought all the time and the brother got braces which upset the siblings.

I have a feeling there was an unequal distribution of love and material goods leading to resentment and jealousy among the kids. Probably the other child's complaint was that she spent disproportionately on the preferred brother, while they went without. "Dealt with pinworms" gives me the creeps because I wonder if the poor kid had to deal with mum's homemade curative while their brother got cosmetic bracers.

The brother also had Autism. Even in a functional family a kid with serious disabilities is going to get more attention and care than the other kids, and the other kids are going to resent it. Other kids in the family may be expected to give up some of their own free time and "normal childhood" to help care for the disabled sibling. Have their own problems and pain brushed aside as trivial compared to that of a disabled child. If he was profoundly disabled he could completely monopolize the parents attention.

OTOH he could have been very high functioning. I have trouble picturing the low functioning types tolerating braces. So catering to his special needs could look a lot like a kid who is just a spoiled brat who gets everything he wants to the other kids. When he loses control of his emotions it's called an autistic meltdown and he gets care, but when the other kids behave in the exact same way it's called a temper tantrum and they get yelled at. It is going to feel unfair.

If the parents are crap to begin with, then the extra stress of a disabled child is just going to make everything worse.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DESPITE ALL MY RAGE I AM STILL JUST A MICROWAVE CAKE

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://twitter.com/AITA_reddit/status/1249682857573916673

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, that was one hell of a buried lede.

quote:

I thought about boxing them up and taking them to her school.
I was going to write her full name in GREAT BIG LETTERS.
I didn't. It was a cusp moment. I retreated from personhood--

I lost that whole big battle.
My therapist later told me it was good I hadn't shamed her.

But every day of her silence since her ship came in shames me.

Her sister wrote the most hateful email and changed her gender.
I do not know how those things relate. Is it femaleness he rejects?

Or is it all about me anyway? I never saw it coming,

and that makes me unneeded by my LGBTQ offspring.

- So angry about her son transitioning that she was going to write his deadname on a box to shame him in front of his college friends

- Refers to an email that her daughter wrote as "hateful" because the daughter used her brother's correct pronoun

- Decides that her son transitioned because he hates her

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The fact that she put her abhorrent behavior in poetry form is particularly nauseating for some reason.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The fact that she put her abhorrent behavior in poetry form is particularly nauseating for some reason.

I get where you’re coming from. To my mind it’s combining two different flavors of narcissism, the terrible parent and the hack artist, into a veritable peanut butter cup of repulsive emotional masturbation:

“not only did my child change their gender identity because he’s his true self as a dude specifically to make me feel bad, but this horrible pain inflicted on me is so unique, so deep that mere prose cannot possibly express it (despite my dullard’s understanding of poetry stopping dead at ‘it doesn’t have to rhyme’ and being absolutely certain that ‘scansion’, ‘word choice’, and ‘editing’ are made-up nonsense terms from jealous haters)”

two gross tastes that nauseate you, together!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Foam Monkey posted:

Her sister wrote the most hateful email and changed her gender.
I do not know how those things relate. Is it femaleness he rejects?

Or is it all about me anyway? I never saw it coming,
and that makes me unneeded by my LGBTQ offspring.

quote:

If I had faith, I'd pray for that radiant look on my absent daughter's face
Never to change into the hard bitter lines of a parent estranged.
But I know what she is teaching by example.
She has thrown me and everyone else who loved her here away.
Maybe he severed from you because you still refuse to believe he's your son and not your daughter, rear end in a top hat. :murder:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There are 3 kids. One autistic brother, still around, and two afabs, both severed.

Afab #1 left all the dirty dishes around. She later got rich(?) and ditched everyone. Presumably cis, most likely she's the one who has a kid now.

Afab #2 transitioned and sent a "hateful" email about it. The mom refers to him as "he" in the present tense but "she" in the past tense. That's a Caitlyn Jenner thing and that's the only trans person olds know about.

The mom's still probably terrible, just worth noting which kids are which.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

pram posted:

Sorry but did they ever explain the circumstances of this to you? Or is it just an unstated thing?

I'm curious because I found out a while back through 23andme i have a half brother (lol) and im not actually my dads biological son, but I cant really bring it up because I think everyone would die. Can't imagine discussing it when you're already in your 30s

my mom actually did when i was 21. my sister and i kind of guessed at it when we were in the late teens since whenever i picked her up from high school her friends would ask if i was a family friend. but my mom just one weekend took me out to a expensive handbag store and bought one for me, then in the car she told me that my dad wasn't my real dad and explained that when she was in college, my dad was jealous of her friendship with other guys and accused her of cheating constantly and acting like a victim. my mom just got so tired of defending herself that when one of them did start hitting on her, she was like "yeah sure he already thinks i'm cheating what's the worst that can happen" and then she found out you can get pregnant from having sex once.

in defense of my mom, i'm not angry her for cheating (just that she took that long to tell me the truth) because my dad is always convinced that he's right, like how he still believes that i sold the expensive wristwatch he got me when i was 14 and that's why he's justified in not giving me personal gifts since i'd just sell them, instead of me just losing it because i was 14, or that my biological father was breaking into their house to pee in the toilets and not that the plumbing was hosed up, and the most recent conspiracy theory he had was that my mom was poisoning him for insurance, which according to my sister he handled by moping all over the house and sighing sadly. also the past 30 years my mom has bent over backwards to try to make my dad happy, which is what she admitted to me that she's been trying to make up for her mistake since then. my dad knows because after i was born, he took me in for a blood test without my mom knowing. but even though he knows, he's super defensive and if anyone jokes (including me, before i realized) about how different i look, he starts in on this spiel about how it comes from my mother's side because her great-great-great grandpa was white or mixed (which is true, but even if some families of her side still don't look 100% chinese, they don't look like me).

it's kind of a open secret but no one is willing to talk about it openly and i have no idea which of my extended family knows and is keeping quiet about it or which ones just didn't really think further about it and just accepted it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Splash Attack posted:

my mom actually did when i was 21. my sister and i kind of guessed at it when we were in the late teens since whenever i picked her up from high school her friends would ask if i was a family friend. but my mom just one weekend took me out to a expensive handbag store and bought one for me, then in the car she told me that my dad wasn't my real dad and explained that when she was in college, my dad was jealous of her friendship with other guys and accused her of cheating constantly and acting like a victim. my mom just got so tired of defending herself that when one of them did start hitting on her, she was like "yeah sure he already thinks i'm cheating what's the worst that can happen" and then she found out you can get pregnant from having sex once.

in defense of my mom, i'm not angry her for cheating (just that she took that long to tell me the truth) because my dad is always convinced that he's right, like how he still believes that i sold the expensive wristwatch he got me when i was 14 and that's why he's justified in not giving me personal gifts since i'd just sell them, instead of me just losing it because i was 14, or that my biological father was breaking into their house to pee in the toilets and not that the plumbing was hosed up, and the most recent conspiracy theory he had was that my mom was poisoning him for insurance, which according to my sister he handled by moping all over the house and sighing sadly. also the past 30 years my mom has bent over backwards to try to make my dad happy, which is what she admitted to me that she's been trying to make up for her mistake since then. my dad knows because after i was born, he took me in for a blood test without my mom knowing. but even though he knows, he's super defensive and if anyone jokes (including me, before i realized) about how different i look, he starts in on this spiel about how it comes from my mother's side because her great-great-great grandpa was white or mixed (which is true, but even if some families of her side still don't look 100% chinese, they don't look like me).

it's kind of a open secret but no one is willing to talk about it openly and i have no idea which of my extended family knows and is keeping quiet about it or which ones just didn't really think further about it and just accepted it.

"THAT RAT BASTARD IS BREAKING IN HERE AND PEEING IN MY TOILETS. I JUST KNOW IT!"

Legitimately laughing pretty hard at the thought.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Splash Attack posted:

My family is sort of the same. My older brothers are from a previous marriage of my dads and their mom hosed them up hardcore. They have several shared close friends that are pseudo sons in our family just due to the necessity of having close bonds to get them through what their mom did.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My sister and I look nothing alike, but its because I look exactly like our mom (ew) and she looks exactly like our dad (also ew). I'd like to think that maybe I had a different father, because the circumstances as how I was born are pretty wild and it might be possible (high school pact baby). All our life it's led to people not believing that we're siblings, and since neither of us use our real last names on social media, it's caused a bit of drama. One of my friends got into a massive fight with her on one of my posts, and said friend was shocked it was my sister because we have no resemblance to each other. My friend felt horrible about getting into this huge fight, but she was defending me after my sister outright attacked me on a public post so I was actually pretty happy. That whole day led to my estrangement from my sister, which was a long time coming anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Batterypowered7 posted:

"THAT RAT BASTARD IS BREAKING IN HERE AND PEEING IN MY TOILETS. I JUST KNOW IT!"

A SWEATY FATBEARD comes to mind, during his time in the army he was found guarding the toilets 'so the enemy doesn't poo poo in them'.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I remember my parents were mortgage loan officers around 2007, and were business partners with a man named Attila. Well the whole economic situation did it's thing around that time and their business failed. My dad also somehow managed to piss off this business partner hard enough that, allegedly, Attila came to our house in the middle of the night, smashed the back window out of our car, and that's not even the scariest part.

There was an office desk, that they had apparently been arguing over for some reason. Along with the smashed window, literal chunks of this office desk were strewn across the yard. And I mean ripped up pieces, like he had taken a sledgehammer to the desk or something. Seriously psycho stuff.

And then, and this is the part I can't believe happened but I distinctly remember did, there was a capital B! (First initial in my dad's name) somehow cut into the lawn. So between the smashed back window, destroyed desk pieces, and creative visual graffiti, this guy must have spent a good amount of time planning and executing this revenge on my old man. I still to this day wonder just what the gently caress happened with all that.

Oh and next year, to the day, he came and smashed our poo poo again. Not that any of it was ever proven. These last couple posts about lovely dad's reminded me of mine.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

It still blows my mind how some parents will act like allowing their child to potentially end up homeless is some kind of teaching method. But let's call it what it really is, an attempt to leverage for control of their children's identity and life once they've flown the coop.

The poster did the smart thing though. If the parents are capable of pulling that poo poo over hearsay and conjecture, then they're reactionary wild cards that should not be relied upon.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

It's disappointing how often those "turned 18 am being kicked out" posts show up in r/personalfinance

I don't get why people are doing it.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

AuntBuck posted:

It's disappointing how often those "turned 18 am being kicked out" posts show up in r/personalfinance

I guess some people don’t like building generational wealth? Also, “every man is an island,” has been part of the American psyche for a very long time. It’s the myth of being entirely self-made, so naturally you want your progeny to have the same lack of advantages that made you the Randian superman you are today.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

AuntBuck posted:

A segment of parents have always been garbage that don't care about their kids, the internet is just making their existence(and the poo poo their kids have to go through) more widely known.

There's also the non-zero number of kids who are getting thrown out for being too queer/non-god-fearing/generally nonconforming/whatever for their parents, which is a fun one to dwell on. :smith:

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Batterypowered7 posted:

to be honest i couldn't stop laughing when i heard that's what he was convinced what was happening.

i do care about him and my mom a lot (they both went through some rough poo poo growing up) and they have tried to make a effort to help and understand me, but the keyword is 'try'. A lot of my dad's efforts are "I don't understand why you won't do things my way/behave the way I want you to, which is clearly the superior way, and it's clear to me that your way of living is a failure because you're not doing well financially despite living in a area where people making six digits still struggle, so logically the reason why you're a unsuccessful gently caress up is because you never listen to me"

my grandma is currently dying (cancer, not coronavirus) and this past week has been a mess. i ended up having to take the day off today because we're pretty sure she's near the end now and the stress of everything meant that i kind of had a breakdown near midnight along with not being able to sleep . i called my dad because i was worried about him and i let it slip that i'd taken the day off and he just started berating me, saying that my grandma would want me to be successful at work and she would never want to be the cause for being fired, and besides they weren't asking me to come in to visit her so i could just deal with it during my off hours.

i ended up being more stressed and second guessing my decision that i called my boss, who gave me more sympathy and emotional support than my dad did, and said that i could take as much time off as i need to take care of myself and that he completely understood.

i should mention by the way that my grandma is his own mother, but he's the type of person who hates it when people cry because he sees it as emotional manipulation. in 30 years, i've only seen him cry once and it was at his father's funeral over ten years ago. so right now he's trying to be all stoic and tough because he can't be weak or manipulative i guess????

tbh i really should have known better because a close friend of mine has told me that it's ok to care for my dad but i should stop going to him for emotional support because it's clear that i'm never going to get it from him, and she is absolutely right. i let my guard down because my mom told me over the weekend that my dad is sad because we (my sister and i) rarely talk to him and he doesn't know what to say to us. i should have known better. i am a fool. :negative:

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Splash Attack posted:

tbh i really should have known better because a close friend of mine has told me that it's ok to care for my dad but i should stop going to him for emotional support because it's clear that i'm never going to get it from him, and she is absolutely right. i let my guard down because my mom told me over the weekend that my dad is sad because we (my sister and i) rarely talk to him and he doesn't know what to say to us. i should have known better. i am a fool. :negative:

yeesh, sorry. My father was a lot like that (which, I dunno, is unfortunately a generational thing with a lot of these guys) except also a mean bastard. But that all sounds exhausting, I'm sorry you're having to deal with it.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Sorry you're having to deal with this on top of coronavirus. People will tell you to give your dad some leeway for acting out and lashing out during this loss. You can ignore that advice or that instinct, especially if this is his regular MO. Take care of yourself.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Whaddup fellow selfish cold hearted ACs. Glad to see Issendai recommended widely here, I've been a fan of hers for a long time. She also has a short series on her blog about sovereign citizens if you want another rabbit hole of self-obsessed reality deniers to fall down.

How do you stop obsessing over the parent you've cut off and wallowing in what could have been? I've been attempting to come to terms with my estrangement from my dad for a couple months; I finally stopped speaking with him in February when he refused to tell me whether he was coming (??) to my gay wedding. Our relationship has been rocky for years, what with his gradual transformation into an alt-right ecofascist gun nut, and he had a huge falling out with my sister last year that has dominated all our conversations. I've tried to simultaneously set boundaries (no politics talk, no asking me about my sister) while holding out olive branch after olive branch in the hopes that I could get back the dad that I remembered.

This past Christmas, he consented to go out to dinner with me and my fiancée. I thought the visit was going okay aside from his constant derailments into hating the Chinese and his inability to talk or care about anything happening in my or my fiancée's life, but then I mentioned something about my sister, and he said "I have no daughters." I'm right here, man. A couple weeks ago, out of the blue, he texted me that he was watching Breaking Bad and "now understands why everyone hates the wife character" and "the bald scientist whose family betrayed him died in the end, big surprise" (he is bald and a scientist).

I'm justified in not speaking to him, right? There's nothing I could have done better, no more chances I could have given him to show up for an important day in my life? I can't stand the thought of him being able to hold anything I've done against me. I guess I'm pretty well trained if I still feel like this is my fault :(

Anyway: Content!

Some memes from "estranged parents/grandparents" facebook groups:

The most liked comment on the eyebrow ring kid post was this:

quote:

I am so over this "what's in the child best interest", statement, I've heard it thrown around for years by caseworkers in child protection agencies who do not want to answer my questions, in family courts because they can, and by parents who do not want to answer my questions, parents who steal their children from their grandparents because they have no valid reason as to why they've decided to do so and then poison the children's minds with lies and defamatory statements, contradicting their own statement .... If you have no valid reason, or can't tell us or them WHY? you have seperated us from each other then GIVE THEM BACK, stop punishing the children because you have your own issues, stop throwing 😨around "what's in the childs best interest," statement because IT IS NOT!!! ... give back our children because being with their Grandparents is what's in their best interest, not yours, theirs 😒

The real reason you, the parent, stole my grandchild from me is because you had no reason to do so! I see right through your twisted games

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

snailshell posted:

Whaddup fellow selfish cold hearted ACs. Glad to see Issendai recommended widely here, I've been a fan of hers for a long time. She also has a short series on her blog about sovereign citizens if you want another rabbit hole of self-obsessed reality deniers to fall down.

How do you stop obsessing over the parent you've cut off and wallowing in what could have been? I've been attempting to come to terms with my estrangement from my dad for a couple months; I finally stopped speaking with him in February when he refused to tell me whether he was coming (??) to my gay wedding. Our relationship has been rocky for years, what with his gradual transformation into an alt-right ecofascist gun nut, and he had a huge falling out with my sister last year that has dominated all our conversations. I've tried to simultaneously set boundaries (no politics talk, no asking me about my sister) while holding out olive branch after olive branch in the hopes that I could get back the dad that I remembered.

This past Christmas, he consented to go out to dinner with me and my fiancée. I thought the visit was going okay aside from his constant derailments into hating the Chinese and his inability to talk or care about anything happening in my or my fiancée's life, but then I mentioned something about my sister, and he said "I have no daughters." I'm right here, man. A couple weeks ago, out of the blue, he texted me that he was watching Breaking Bad and "now understands why everyone hates the wife character" and "the bald scientist whose family betrayed him died in the end, big surprise" (he is bald and a scientist).

I'm justified in not speaking to him, right? There's nothing I could have done better, no more chances I could have given him to show up for an important day in my life? I can't stand the thought of him being able to hold anything I've done against me. I guess I'm pretty well trained if I still feel like this is my fault :(

Waiting for someone else to change is futile. It's okay to give up there. There's nothing you could do except hang around and experience more horrible treatment. It's hard though. You've effectively lost your father. I cut my narcissist dad off for a year for incredibly stupid, abusive behavior. I see a lot of people talking about how great and uplifting severing can be, but I felt like garbage for the first few months. It got better with time and after making some more life changes. Give yourself that time to grieve and time to see things from a new perspective. It became clear to me that a lot of things that supposedly were my fault or my responsibility weren't, to both me and my dad.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I finally decided to poke around for that rejected parents forum and pull some content to share. These make me grateful that I'm on the lesser scale of rear end in a top hat parents. I'm trying to follow an earlier format of quoting a bunch of posts all from one poster (hopefully not grabbing any dupes!)

This is all one poster, who has been pretty prolific, posted oldest to newest (cherry picking cause there are like 250+ posts from this person starting from a year ago). Overall not the most egregious posts I've seen posted earlier but I figured I'd start with a not as crazy one

5/9/2019

quote:

I have been reading Rejected Parents for several months now. It was a surprise to know there was such a forum for this. Thank you for accepting me into your group. Years ago I came to terms with the estrangement from my daughter. She has long become a distant memory. The heart wrenching years have passed and acceptance took its place. But I have carried with me since Nov 23rd a posting by Rainbow. In it she had a chance to possibly reconnect with her son and family. She decided not to open the door and pursue it. At least not in the way it was presented. What surprised me was the overwhelming relief that came over me after reading her posting. I didn’t know I was carrying this with me. Should I try one more time? I don’t want to open that door but I suppose I must have been feeling deep down that I should. Rainbow’s posting brought to me relief that it’s okay not to. It takes such a long time to come to terms and just can’t go back to where it all started.

5/12/2019

quote:

Movingonwithmylife, I think you have to experience the intense anger to let it go. I have a journal I wrote 20+ years ago. Oh my, the names I called my daughter. I’m not a violent person but my husband bought me a punching bag. The best therapy ever. I would beat the **** out of it and walk away feeling completely calm. My daughter had done some horrible things. Punching bag went to Goodwill many years ago.

Forgiving and forgetting over and over, for me, only opened the door for more mistreatment. Not forgetting what she has done helped me not to put myself in that situation again. Forgive her? It was so wrong the things she has done. But holding on to the anger was only ruining my life, not hers. I’m not advocating not to forgive and forget. For me, it continued to bring me more harm. I don’t look back in anger; I’ve learned from the experience and moved on.

Sheri put it beautifully “Give it wings, watch it fly away, and then live a beautiful life. Sometimes, it really is necessary to let a person go for good.” Should put that on a plaque. I gave it wings, I live a beautiful life.

Movingonwithmylife, There must be some way she can’t wound your soul anymore. For me, I had to let her go from my life.

said about my daughter

5/15/2019

quote:

My son-in-law calls it revisionist history. It either didn’t happen or it didn’t happen in that way. I have not seen or talked to my estranged daughter in almost five years. Right before the break (as she called it), she sent me a list of my atrocities. Needless to say it was astonishing. I shared it with family and we all were perplexed (to put it mildly). Other family members’ atrocities were also included. My last contact with her I did offer to pay for counseling. I was told not to contact her again. This is not our first estrangement. My predictable behavior would have been to continually reach out to her but it had been a roller coaster for 23 years. The difference this time, mom is getting old and tired. After 23 years, all of this needed to come to an end. So there it is, five years later of no contact.

I would like to know more about this revisionist history. I’ve read so many stories on this site about this same subject. How or why does it get started? Why do they so desperately want to prove they have been mistreated? One answer is because they want the sympathy attention from others. I know this is true of my daughter.

6/16/2019

quote:

I have come to realize, you teach people how to treat you. You’re right sadlostbroken, if you don’t have healthy boundaries, if you don’t take care of yourself, people pick-up on this and they will take advantage of you. It’s taken me a long time to understand this.

Yellow Rose, people pleaser is the words I was looking for. I’ fell into that trap because I didn’t want to lose my daughter or sister. As Dr. Phil says, “How’s that working for you?” Well obviously it wasn’t working. Deep down inside I knew the relationships weren’t right and I was developing resentment.

I’ve been estranged from my daughter for five years. I know the reason for this second estrangement was I was no longer playing people pleaser. I guess I just started being “normal”. I didn’t say anything to hurt or offend her but she picked up Mom was no longer a rug to walk on. I could no longer tolerate her off and on again berating treatment.

The same with my sister. This real estate transaction was serious business. This was not something we could pretend all was well. Like you courageousme, I use to spend hours listening to my sister on the phone. So tired of hearing about her problems at work but, as a people pleaser, you do that. I have not discussed any of this with family. Like your brother Dotty, my sister has been saying things in the family. That’s the fallout I must deal with.

But overall, with both of them, I knew we weren’t on equal playing fields. The relationships was very one sided. A person can’t go on living this way without your self-esteem going lower and lower.

I know the catalyst for me being a people pleaser. I have spent a lifetime trying to please my mother, wanting my mother to like me. But that’s another story.

6/24/2019

quote:

I’m going to sound a little self-righteous but here goes. I have lived the extreme from one end to another. Our mother abandoned my siblings and I when we were young. It was a tough, tough childhood full of pain for all us. Yet, most of us desperately yearned for her attention and love all these years regardless of how things went down. Even to this day, in the elderly state she is, we look after her. I can’t say we receive loving treatment from her in return but in her own damaged way I think she thinks she tries. We have tried to understand her. Not all my siblings are on the same page. There is deep justified residue anger from some.

So for the sake of argument, let’s say we were all god awful mothers. I find it amazing our children make little or no effort or understanding on their part. Even with parents who have done no wrong. I know my daughter has never experienced from her mother (me) anything remotely like what I dealt with growing up. For that reason, whereas I understand how her hurt developed and tried and tried to work with that, I can’t accept she has made no effort. I could go chasing after her and get her back in my life. But her lack of care and effort is why she is not in my life.

8/11/2019

quote:

When a veterinarian diagnoses an animal, the animal can’t tell them the problem. The veterinarian doesn’t know if it ate something, may not always know exactly where it is hurting, may not always know the cause, etc. The animal, in its lack of understanding, may just bite the doctor. But a veterinarian will continue to do everything within their power to get to the bottom of things until they can do no more.

As a parent we do everything under our power, skill set, and experience to raise our children. If it seems like we didn’t get it right it’s not without love and effort of parent. Maybe that parent didn’t know the cause, didn’t know their child’s perceptions were off or couldn’t get to the bottom of things however hard they tried. Or maybe it gets down to our child’s complete lack of understanding or capabilites and that’s why they keep “biting” us.

LJWH, I think your natural skills are there. I would like to meet the parent that achieved perfection in raising their child. They don’t exist.

8/27/2019

quote:

When they’re young you can somehow say they don’t have the life experiences to know what they’re doing or too immature to realize their actions I dealt with my first estrangement when my daughter was 18 – 24 yrs old. Did not see her for almost 6 years. Heavily influenced by others. Next 13 years walked on egg shells with all sorts of painful ups and downs. This last estrangement she is/was 37 to 42 yrs old. She knows exactly what she is doing.

I agree with Dragonfly:

. . . it has to do with character and personality . . .
. . . when they are older some of our children feel more empowered to cut us off – often they have partners that encourage and support the break . . .
“There are as many reasons as one can imagine and so many are exaggerated or just made up.

8/29/2019

quote:

believe if you are estranging your child to hurt them, that’s one thing, if you’re estranging them to teach them a lesson, it’s another thing and if you’re estranging them to protect yourself, that’s a completely different thing.

I have been through two estrangements. First when my daughter was 18 – 24 and the recent 5 yr. one. In the list of my “transgressions” she sent me before this last estrangement, there was one that took me completely by surprise. She said since I would have nothing to do with her in the first estrangement, among other things she was going to teach me a lesson and have nothing to do with me now. Totally floored me. She had done some horrible, horrible things to me, before and during the first estrangement. I was dealing with such severe shock that I went into years of seclusion. I don’t think most people could forgive the things she did. Awful public and private annihilation. What people will do to blackmail you to extract money. (She was not successful.) It took me years to recovery and not once during that period of time did she contact me. Not once in all these years had I heard an apology.

Yet, after all these years, she took it as I would have nothing to do with her. I was beyond disbelief when I read that. I know at the time she was heavily influenced by her father but to disremember all that occurred is beyond my understanding. To be so self-absorbed and not realize the life changing damage she had caused me, her siblings and other family members. It was me, after that first estrangement who made contact for reconciliation.

This last estrangement I did offer counseling and was ignored. Not once in all these years have I said one thing of blame. I don’t think she can face what she has done. I think she has changed the course of events in her mind into something else.

I did not initiate this last estrangement. I have simply chosen to not make contact. In a sense it is estrangement. Would it teach her a lesson? Probably not but that’s not my intent. After 24 years enough is enough. I have no doubt that she will look at it all completely different.

So if you estranged your child, a person needs to be clear on why. The question is, will it do any good? Will they take any responsibility?

10/25/2019

quote:

Aussiemom, thank you for your kind words.

My situation occurred 24 years ago but the scar from it remains with me. Five years later, after all of this, I reached out to my daughter. In that period of time she married an older man, he put her through college, she had a child and obtained a good job. I felt she had changed. I implore Teacherspet not to do what I did next. When we reconnected all seemed good. I never brought it up nor did we discuss the court case. I made excuses for her. This should have been talked about. There needed to be accountability. There needed to be ground rules laid. But no, I wanted to pretend all was well. I wanted my family to be whole again. I just wanted to be able to breathe.

As time went on her old ways came back. I was back to enduring the mistreatment. She divorced and married a much younger man of questionable character. Accusations and the twisted truth reared their ugly heads again. We are now into a six-year estrangement. The difference this time, she was not able to bring me to my knees. I’m too old, too wise, and I know the traps. And somehow, through the grace of God, the cloud lifted and I have no longing or desire to make it work.

Teacherspet and for anyone who has ever dealt with the severity of something like this. They cannot come back into your life without accountability, regret or some type of reform. It is so easy to sweep it under the rug . When you do that, they tend to think they did no wrong and it will happen all over again.

11/21/2019

quote:

I come from a different perspective. My mother abandoned my siblings and I when we were small. From ten years old (me) to the youngest at two. Growing up, this shattered concept of family for many of my siblings. At 87 my mother is not that person from 55 years ago. Oddly she recently asked if we all could get together as we have not been in the same room for at least twenty –five years.

For me I took it as a make her feel good request. I looked at her and said nothing. In my mind, I wanted to say the status of our family lies solely on her shoulders. If she wanted us all together, then she should have done something about it years ago.

So what I would ask is why your mother didn’t fix or understand the situation when it started. When did she ever step in and help? Does she not recognize the damage he’s caused? All of this to to make her feel good at the expense of your feelings? I know that sounds harsh. I know it’s not that same situation as mine. I know you love your mom so it’s probably not a fair approach.

Your feelings should not be discounted. My answer would be, “Mom, I love you but you’re too late. Damage has already been done.”

I always say maybe in our next life we’ll get it right.

12/22/2019

quote:

Sheri is so right in everything she has said.

There’s this phenomenon that happens. Time goes by and our estranged children forget their part in the estrangement. Somehow they have been mistreated, forgotten or how they have done nothing to contribute to the estrangement. They conveniently forget all the things they have done and said. They have become the victim. So honoring their estrangement request and not contacting them somehow gets turned into we are the cause and problem.

If my daughter had seen my suffering to the extent it has been, I think she would take comfort in it. My daughter has been making a lot of noises lately. For the first time in twenty-five years, I believe she has come to the realization that mom is making no effort to come back into her life. She’s angry mom isn’t doing what she expects.

It is an easy thing to do to hide behind a couple-line Christmas card and throw the whole thing back into your court. Then wait to see what mom and dad do with little effort on her part.

Sorry, I know I sound angry. You deserve to hold on to your hard fought peace and happiness. More than anything I would take your time in whatever you decide to do.

1/10/2020

quote:

2soon, Yes they seem to have selective memories or creative memories of things that never happened. Photographs and videos are our “evidence” that they did not live a life of doom and gloom and mistreatment. I’ve always wondered. . . when we are no longer on earth, when they have those memories keepers in hand, will the truth resurface? Would they realize the wrong they have caused us?

2/12/2020

quote:

Mistakes are the nature of human beings. Mistakes don’t make a bad parent. Our perfect, never-made-a-mistake estranged children are very good at laying blame and guilt. A seemingly innocent incident turns into you’re an abusive parent. But it becomes worse than that. Something that never even happened is fabricated in their minds and you’re sentenced to a life of punishment.

John 8:7 “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to cast a stone . . .”

As some may have read in my past postings, I grew up in a tough situation. My mother for all she had done has never said she was sorry. What I would have given just to hear my mother say she was sorry. Nothing more. It would have made all the difference in the world. Or just to hear I love you.

Not too long ago one of my son-in-laws called and asked if I would pick up the grandchildren. He was clearly upset. He said she needed a break. I don’t know what happened but my daughter had freaked out on something with the kids. This daughter is one of the kindest most even tempered people on earth. She doesn’t even believe in spanking. These little ones are a handful. Very high spirited. I’m sure she became overwhelmed. He called later and said things were fine, I didn’t need to come. She gathered her little ones in her arms and said she was sorry. Now our estranged children would turn that into some very abusive situation, to be reminded until the day we die what a bad parent we were. For Christ’s sake, we’re only human.

It’s a horrible merry-go-round our estranged children put us on. It took me years to get off of it. I refuse, refuse, refuse to let my estranged daughter persecute me into thinking I was a bad mother.

2/28/2020

quote:

In reference to my above posting. Some of you might be thinking, in the back of your mind “How can my version of the events be so different from my daughter’s?

In regards to not coming to her first wedding (this by the way was during our first 5 year estrangement.) What I believe she only remembers, Mom was not there. She had to deal with that elephant in the room at her wedding. Mom did not call her begging to be invited to the wedding. Mom said and did nothing. What she doesn’t know is Mom cried all day that day. So when her story goes out to the world, Mom refused to come. Failing to mention that she never invited Mom.

Regarding me asking for her new husband’s full name, date of birth, where he was born, etc. Weighing on her mind, we all would find out about his criminal record. Obviously never occurred to her that I was honestly asking for the family tree. Of course after she sent me the accusations letter, her sister went out and did check him out. We knew nothing before.

Her husband’s graduation. Why would he not want to celebrate his college graduation? Because he told everyone he was being accepted into medical school. He didn’t get in. I don’t think he wanted any line of questioning on this subject. I remember extending congratulations to him at some point followed by some curt answer back not to continue the subject.

And that is how our children rewrite history.

3/18/2020

quote:

AntionaZ, I thought your posting was very insightful. Estrangement isn’t just about our child no longer a meaningful part of our life. So much hurt comes from the people who rally behind our estranged child, have their own agenda, the negative chit-chat that goes with it, the unsolicited opinions and, like you said, the ultimate shunning of us.

I dealt for many years with an ex-husband who main goal in life was to rally as many people behind him as he could with untruths about me. My daughter learned from the best and gathered her own herd of family members and friends to do the same. It was so painful to be betrayed by people who you thought was a friend or a trusted family member. Yes, it felt like a mob effect.

I had a family member who I hadn’t seen in years. He came back to live in my area and we became close. He apologized to me, said he had believed the negative about me and discovered how wrong it was.

Much of this has dissipated over the last twenty-five years. Many saw the light of truth. But that didn’t stop me from eliminating these people, putting barriers in place so only those I could trust were in my life. As you said, it’s amazing the damage one or two people can do to your life.

4/16/2020

quote:

Happy, I know you’ve been dealt some rotten cards in life. It seems it’s not one thing or another that piles up on us and before we know it we have all this baggage we so desperately want to get rid of. The only way I know how to survive these rotten cards is to eliminate everything negative around us. To only allow lifestyle and people in our lives that aren’t a burden and don’t compromise our well-being.

Thirty-seven years ago this incredibly gorgeous white knight in shining amour came into my life and swept me off my feet. When I first saw him, my jaw dropped. When he started talking to me I didn’t hear a word he said. That accent of his had me memorized. He had to repeat himself. His calmness, compassion and kindness are overwhelming. To this day, I crawl into bed with him, he puts his arms around me and makes all the bad go away. I wish I could say my recovery from all the rotten cards was of my own doing but it wasn’t. He gave me stability and love that I had never had in my life. But, like Aussiemom, I never would have met this man if I didn’t go through the terrifying journey of getting myself out of a bad first marriage and seeking out a better life.

We have to make a conscious decision to become happier and more grateful. IT’S REALLY HARD.

Maybe remind ourselves and be grateful for the good people in our lives. And if there aren’t any good people in our lives, then go out and find them. They’re there. Or maybe reflect on what life would be like without certain blessings. I start with: I have my health, I have enough to eat, and I have a nice home to live in. Or what would it feel like if your husband wasn’t in your life?

I found a gratitude journal made me focus on what was good in my life. Not every day but enough to keep me in line with what is real and what is not. Our minds have this terrible way of conjuring up hauntings (our estranged children) and we have to figure a way to combat them. If we let our minds continually go to the good things in our life then the bad slithers away back to under their rocks.

I’m not perfect and life does throw bombs at me but we have to keep trying to pull ourselves up by our boot straps and move on.

4/16/2020

quote:

As far as I know, there’s no “cure” for narcissism. Unless they go through some traumatic event that snaps them into reality or dramatically changes their perspective. I dealt with the same kinds of things you did newnormal, in order to have contact with my granddaughter. I don’t regret it but I would never go through that again. It took a lot out of me.

My experience: I have a tendency to go overboard with my other children. I am always there for them. One particular daughter I watch my grand-children part-time. The other day she popped onto me she needed me to watch the kids. She was quite adamant. I told her that I had an unmovable meeting up at the house we are building. Lots of guilt trip loaded onto to me. I said in the 8 years I have been watching them, I was only sick one day. Outside of that, there were only a handful of times I asked her to move things around with some objection on her part. I said if I say I can’t, then I can’t. My record proves that. She quieted down and understood.

I agree with your therapist that it’s not up to you to fix things. But should you have contact with your daughter, the only way I know is to approach it with calmness and say surely she knows you have been there for her. Does she have anyone else in her life that does as much for her as you do? In the same calm matter tell her how unfair it was to bamboozle you with your other daughter. Arguing or defending yourself doesn’t do any good and you shouldn’t have to. I can reason with my other four children. I could never get my estranged daughter to see reason. And that is part of why I haven’t seen or made an effort toward her in 6 years.

bekpek
Jun 5, 2007
Nuts on the road.
This was in today's Daily Mail - piece of crap newspaper in the UK, but thought this was quite interesting and telling, it is so me me me. There is no mention in the question or reply that some children may have a very valid reason for not speaking to their parents....

Dear Bel,

I wrote to you in September 2017 about my estrangement from my son and three grandsons, which you printed.

Galvanised by your support, I founded the Oxfordshire Grandparents’ Support Group then wrote a book, Beyond All Belief: A Living Bereavement — Understanding Estrangement And How To Survive It (by Diana Dunk).

Now, all our lives have changed and we have descended into fear and uncertainty as coronavirus spreads. Families are forced apart. Grandparents who normally see their grandchildren are unable to. They miss the hugs, but can at least have online virtual meetings or telephone.

What about estranged grandparents who find this crisis even more distressing? We have no way of knowing how our families are.

In times of adversity it’s always family we turn to — the people closest who love us. The ones we can depend on most for support.

But this is not true for about two million grandchildren in the UK estranged from their grandparents.

We remain alone and forgotten with no word from our adult children. Many of us have sent messages only to be ignored, leaving us not knowing whether our precious family remain safe or whether they have caught the deadly virus.

To be denied any contact at such a time is hideously cruel and can surely never be justified — no matter what previous disagreements there were before the pandemic.

Surely this is the time to end the silent treatment. There has never been a better time for a short text to ask how we’re doing. Isn’t it just simple human kindness?

DIANA

Your letter — so very sad and true — makes me wonder if ‘human kindness’ is always ‘simple’.

Yes, we can give to charities and (if we go to the supermarket) pop a couple of tins into the food bank basket. But does giving to strangers — when little is required of us but entering bank details or (in those days when there was street life) passing a coin or two to a beggar — make us feel good about ourselves?

Yes — and why not? May we all show genuine charity, remembering that the other meaning is ‘love’.

But how much more complicated is the ‘kindness’ that wrenches deep, painfully complicated feelings from our innermost selves. This is the kindness which says we have hurt each other so much and now the silence between us stretches as if from one side of the globe to each other.

So now, in this dark time, let us hold out a hand to each other. Let us forgive. Let us realise that when death takes one of us, the other may weep bitter tears at what has been lost.

Such compassion is very hard indeed when a family is estranged. But surely one of the whole points of walking this earth as a human being is to display qualities which make us rise above our worst selves? I have no doubt of it. You, Diana, write: ‘There has never been a better time for a short text to ask how we’re doing.’

And another grandmother who has contacted this page before, Lorraine Bushell, founder of the Hendon Grandparents Support Group, writes: ‘Only one of my families so far has been able to speak to her grandchild. But none of the others have heard from their children or grandchildren.

‘It’s such an ongoing tragedy. I am so disheartened as I thought perhaps in this terrible time of self-isolation more of my grandparents would have heard from their children.’

Well, so would I, Lorraine and Diana. What can I say? Honestly, I’d actually test my dodgy right hip and go down on my knees and beg the younger generation who cherish their grievances to be better. Yes, older people can be difficult. Tempers might have flared. In-law issues often grate. Harsh words might have been said. Jealousy might have caused nastiness.

Don’t think you can tell me anything about any of that! I know it — and yet I still beg: show pity in the time of coronavirus. If there is somebody you’re estranged from, please melt the chip of ice in your heart. Even a short text will be an act of love. Please.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Splash Attack posted:

my grandma is his own mother

This would be a really cool name for a GSV.

Sorry. Carry on.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
It's been quiet on the estranged parent forums but then this showed up

quote:

I haven’t posted in a while. Been way too depressed to talk and so has my husband. I’m still so scattered and angry, that I know this post will be incoherent.

We were in the process of moving away from ES and back home, when Covid hit. Now we’re stuck in a place we hate (at his express invitation), living near people who are not only NOT a support, but who say whatever they want to me, in particular. Such as “you need counseling”.

Recently, my grand daughter, age 16, tried to kill herself. When ES called us and told us, we tried to call her. They told us we couldn’t speak to her. It wasn’t a good idea. We tried to send flowers. We were told we couldn’t. Hospital policy. Yet, my SIL was allowed all that.

We had nothing to do with this attempt. How could we? We haven’t been allowed to see her for a long time and she’s been mad at us for longer–for reasons no one would state, not even when questioned. Yet, even my grand daughter blamed me for her attempt. She accused me of being sorry she didn’t die, of calling them names, of breaking up her parents’ marriage (my DIL’s infidelity did that, in reality), of sending the wrong kind of present in the wrong way, she said she loved her step-grandmother (a minor acquaintance who lives a plane-ride away) more than she loves me, because she’s been a better grandmother. All this was texted to me on the iPhone she received from a man I put through college lifting 50 pound boxes.

Because of Covid, I’m hearing something more often from a lot of young people. Their fear seems to have destroyed what vestiges of humanity they might have possessed. Lately, I’ve been dismissed verbally with “Okay, Boomer.” My elderly sister was actually told to her face, “No offense, but I think old people should just die and get out of the way.” Then there was the famous FB rant by that girl who works in a grocery store on the east coast: She wrote, “[. . . ] Old people are not ENTITLED to reserve shopping hours before stores open. [. . . ] It is not our fault as you age you develop health problems. It is not our fault as you grow older you are slower than the rest of us. [. . . ] It is not our fault if you become sick. [. . . ] You. Are. Not. Entitled. To. Specific. Accommodations. Because. You. Are. Older. [. . . ]”. All that, plus more, plus profanity.

The people who say/think these things have parents and grandparents like us. Some of the parents no doubt deserve the rancor they’re receiving. Not all parents are supportive and kind.

But the people on this site, as far as I can see, don’t fall into that category. It’s what makes what’s happening to us look so insane. We’ve supported our kids, encouraged them, loved them, greased their way in life by giving them financial support, sending them to college, helping with childcare, taking them in between jobs and houses. Then we watched while they re-wrote history and in the process wrote us out. We, apparently, did NOT send these kids to college. They did that themselves. We, apparently, were NOT kind. We beat them on a regular basis. We, apparently, did NOT sacrifice a secure old age because they needed money, or lodgings, or childcare help. They did it all themselves.

Even in ‘elderly loving’ societies like Italy, we now see triage nurses deciding that a single young man who may possibly be an absolute blight on his family, community, and the world at large, being saved over elderly people who have lived lives in the service of others—and the decision is being made solely on the age of the patient. What our children and the world in general seem to be unable to grasp is the idea that they’d be the poorer without us. We’ve given our kids a start that has allowed many of them to become wealthy, while we live the same lower middle class lifestyle we did when we were young and strong enough to do it. We’ve given them places to land and taken care of their kids so they could go unhindered by the families they created to chase their ‘personal fulfillment’ or that half million dollar house. We can never expect gratitude from people like that. Simple acknowledgement is out of the question. So, it seems, is the common courtesy they show their friends.

My question has two parts: Is this rampant child estrangement (for no discernible reason) new to our generation? And is it in part driven by what I see as the general disrespect of people our age and what we’ve contributed and accomplished?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

trickybiscuits posted:

It's been quiet on the estranged parent forums but then this showed up
Ooooh my god the reason triage works that way is because they have to pick the patient with the best chance of survival. By the time a ventilator is necessary, survival is... slim. There's many people who have an extremely small to null chance of survival beyond that, so of course the medical practice is to distribute a limited resource where it can do the most good.

The rest of that post is insane too, of course, but I just hate the idea that proper triage is done based on who 'deserves to live more'. We don't live in an unprejudiced world, and biases do creep in, but as far as I understand it, that's part of why triage instruction and training is standardized over larger networks, because the point is to be able to best distribute resources.

(of course, the rich and powerful will almost always find ways to move up the ranks, but that's another discussion. There's no way Boris Johnson wasn't going to get a ventilator if he needed one, even if things had been stretched tight enough that proper triage would have pushed him aside, but... well, it's not about deserving to live.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's not just based on chances of survival, it is based on who "deserves to live more" -- for two patients otherwise the same, they prioritize one who has kids over one who doesn't. It's hosed up but it is an actual professional standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Anne Whateley posted:

It's not just based on chances of survival, it is based on who "deserves to live more" -- for two patients otherwise the same, they prioritize one who has kids over one who doesn't. It's hosed up but it is an actual professional standard.
Hm. I suppose you have to have a 'tiebreaker' if it comes down to patients otherwise the same, since I imagine that the longer you hesitate, the worse things will be overall. Still, you're right, it's hosed up.

Honestly though I think everything about triage in an emergency situation is hosed up from an emotional standpoint and that's not a part of the process you should get too comfortable with. If it happens it's because there's not enough resources to go around and that means something hosed up has happened, whether that's a natural disaster or what.