Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

RE:Gooncrawl

I've been playing some Hermit Crab, a good species. Excellent, really.

But...what exactly are pincers? Are they equivalent to like, claws or something? All I know is they seem to really shred the early dungeon enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Mechanically or you mean what an actual crab has?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Mechanically please. I have, in fact, seen a pincer before.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I have no idea then!

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Jumping back in after not playing for years (and even back when I played it only ever getting 4 or 5 runes) and having some fun with a Gnoll Skald. Just cleared Mines and Liar and from past experience this is the stage where it may get dicey so looking for some advice.

https://pastebin.com/UTUa7Dbd

My+10 falchion {slice, *Slow +Blink rPois Int+6} is pretty sweet but I've never been clear on how damage scales and when it's best to just replace it a weapon with a higher base damage.

Also not sure on what spells to learn next. There's some low level utility ones like Mephetic cloud, conjure flame and Ozocubu's armour that are tempting though the first two seem like they might less useful as this level in the dungeon. Toxic radiance and one of the bolts are also tempting as well as getting a summon.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A good rule of thumb is consider one base damage to be equivalent to 2 or 2.5 plus.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
From the list of spells you have available, I like lightning spire the most. It does a ton of damage and you can use it to block passageways, so its a decent escape tool. Keep a lookout for Vile Clutch. The skald spells + clutch can carry you to a 3 rune win easily

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Has anyone had any experience with bloatcrawl? Is the gimmick just a lot of species or does the bloat include different items and monsters and vaults as well?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think it has a lot more of everything, but it's based off trunk so you lose access to purple and therefore it's garbage that you shouldn't play.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

SirSamVimes posted:

I think it has a lot more of everything, but it's based off trunk so you lose access to purple and therefore it's garbage that you shouldn't play.

...that is an incredibly wild and bold design direction. 'Add everything, except for the stuff Trunk specifically trims.'

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That does make it easier for keeping up to date with the latest version instead of having to side-port the good changes manually.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 9, 2020

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Bummer. They have a Boomer species that degenerates which made me chuckle.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

my only thoughts are why would you blast out evocables like that when you already disallowed people from using multiples by tying the charge between all instances of the item lmao

Pakellas will have their day, I swear :black101:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Victory Position posted:

my only thoughts are why would you blast out evocables like that when you already disallowed people from using multiples by tying the charge between all instances of the item lmao

Pakellas will have their day, I swear :black101:

The Pakellas brokenvocables dream is dead, alongside Nem's. We Gozag now, hell yeah infinite potions at the push of a button

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

SirSamVimes posted:

A good rule of thumb is consider one base damage to be equivalent to 2 or 2.5 plus.

tylertfb posted:

From the list of spells you have available, I like lightning spire the most. It does a ton of damage and you can use it to block passageways, so its a decent escape tool. Keep a lookout for Vile Clutch. The skald spells + clutch can carry you to a 3 rune win easily

Thanks, that helped and I ended up finding a demon blade soon after that I switched to that with the lightning spires carried me quite a bit further but ended in a 2 rune loss: got paralysed by a vampire knight at an unfortunate moment and croaked.

Trying again with a Gnoll Skald of Ash (https://pastebin.com/ShHG1mNi) and got a different conundrum of having some great weapon choices available in the mid game - got lucky on end of lair loot and then found a treasure vault which I could open which included some cool random and non-random artefacts. Top contenders seem to be:

+11 plutonium sword {*Contam Stlth-} - +11 Triple sword in a game where generally you want as much raw offence as possible over more defence is a strong contender, though with me having both a {Reflect rElec Int+2 SH+5} amulet (that I haven't switched to yet so bonus isn't in the stats) and having a SH +4 mutation it seems that I would benefit a lot more than normal from having a shield as with repel it provides both defence and offense.

+14 obsidian axe {chop, +Fly SInv *Curse} - +14 broad axe. Leaves me a shield slot to play around with and I get clarity from Ash so don't have to worry about mesmerise though less raw damage than the Plutonium sword.

+5 demon trident of the Sun {pain, rN+ Str+2} - A weaker choice in terms of raw damage but gives me extra resistances, still gives me a shield slot, I'm training necro anyway as a gnoll so should get good use of the pain brand at least until I'm largely fighting undead and devils and with a polearm I could do some hiding behind my spectral weapon in hallways.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Plut sword will kill you unless you are a very good player. It has a chance to polymorph targets on hit, which can result in fighting a gold dragon in lair or something similar.

Use the Obsidian Axe if you have immunity to its one downside.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

SirSamVimes posted:

Plut sword will kill you unless you are a very good player. It has a chance to polymorph targets on hit, which can result in fighting a gold dragon in lair or something similar.

Use the Obsidian Axe if you have immunity to its one downside.

Welp, guess either the wiki is out of date or clarity doesn't work vs the Obsidian Axe because almost just died poking my head into the depths and then getting my rear end blasted by Sojobo which drew a load of assholes. Think I'll go with the demon trident.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

team overhead smash posted:

Welp, guess either the wiki is out of date or clarity doesn't work vs the Obsidian Axe because almost just died poking my head into the depths and then getting my rear end blasted by Sojobo which drew a load of assholes. Think I'll go with the demon trident.

I'd expect that the demon trident does more damage, too, as well as having reach. I think it's the best weapon of the three until extended.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
+14 vorpal is really big. Without a ton of necro or in fights against multiple opponents the obsidian axe will outdamage the demon trident, and against enemies with pain resistance/immunity it's no contest. And that's not even counting the demons that obsidian axe summons. The downside is big(big enough to make it a dubious weapon), but that's because it's a very strong weapon. Certainly worth holding onto for situational use though.

That said I would actually use plutonium sword, as long as it wasn't too early in the game. The further into the game you get the less monsters polymorphing matters, since eventually you're already fighting lategame monsters so monsters polymorphing is generally a wash(and sometimes useful). Not to mention it only sometimes inflicts miscast effects and when it does, those are often other things like damage or debuffs. And it's a fuckin +11 triple sword.

I would also say that getting +9 SH from jewelry/muts is actually a great time to not use a shield, since you're already getting the benefit of a third layer of defenses without needing to use a 1H weapon.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Most talk I see really seems to discourage using a shield; is there some way to rehabilitate that skill or have more options for the offhand so using 2H isn't in most cases the best choice?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

Most talk I see really seems to discourage using a shield; is there some way to rehabilitate that skill or have more options for the offhand so using 2H isn't in most cases the best choice?

People like to recommend 2H because it kills things faster and that means less damage taken. However, if you aren't focusing on melee heavily (aka you are meleeing 95-99% of enemies), the cost to train a 2H weapon to min-delay is much higher than training enough for both a 1H plus a shield and you get extra defense to not die.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
There's a legitimate argument to be made that there's a lack of tactical depth in having the vast majority of melee builds be heavily weighted towards 2H weapons and most everybody else wanting 1H+Sh, but I admit I don't care enough to really dig into the idea. You'd probably have to make drastic changes to the underlying combat mechanics to have any meaningful depth there, and there's still plenty of weird artifacts or unarmed build alternatives to play around with for exceptions to that rule; it's sort of amusing, for instance, that one of the most powerful weapons in the entire game, Wyrmbane, is a one-hander, and there's several other competitive 1h artifacts.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Arzaac posted:

RE:Gooncrawl

I've been playing some Hermit Crab, a good species. Excellent, really.

But...what exactly are pincers? Are they equivalent to like, claws or something? All I know is they seem to really shred the early dungeon enemies.

I went code digging to answer my question.

Near as I can tell it's basically Claws 1.5? Better than Claws 1, not as good as Claws 2.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't even agree that shield+1H is worse than 2H. Many people who do very well usually use shields, I remember watching someone streak with nagas(not easy to win with) and they used shields basically always.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Goon crawl just coughed up the zealot blade on DL6 for my FDIE :confutoot:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The solution to the shield vs 2hander argument is to play the best race, Formicid. :colbert:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I don't even agree that shield+1H is worse than 2H. Many people who do very well usually use shields, I remember watching someone streak with nagas(not easy to win with) and they used shields basically always.

Nagas are sort of a special case in that they are 'large' (sort of) for the purposes of the shield skill, and so they need very little shield skill to be effective with shields compared to most other races; additionally, nagas are always desperate for defense because you're not able to run away from most fights easily, nor can you easily close the gap with ranged attackers/manipulate sightlines in a fight, so you're always taking extra abuse, often at range, where the shield is more helpful.

That peculiarity noted, it's not that 1H+Sh is terrible, or anything, a good one-handed weapon can easily carry you through a 3-rune regardless; it's just that if you're doing melee, the shield often helps a lot less than just blendering late-game enemies faster. For casters, 'blendering enemies faster' can still often permit a shield, so it's usually strictly better for them given that it's a lower skill investment outside of their spell school(s).

As for Formicid, they are hella cool, but I don't have many wins with them. This feels sort of shameful given that my most-won races are probably naga, demigod/promethean, and gnoll, followed by mummy, all races with pretty severe restrictions and much less minor boons in return than ants get. For some reason I just can't get my head around them.

I also haven't won a single skeleton yet, but I at least feel there's a certain verisimilitude to that. Skelemans have it tough. ...I should probably get back into actually playing regularly at some point.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I know that nagas only need 9 skill to eliminate the penalties, but IMO the secret of shields is that unless you are relying on spells that you can't cast while wielding the shield, eliminating those penalties is not actually very important at all. Nowadays I will often wait until after hitting mindelay and 10 fighting and also probably around like 10 evo/invo depending before I start training shields on a shield wielding character.

My fastest win is still by far my my 00:37:04 Formicid run. In my opinion people underrate Fo pretty heavily, the drawback is big but it's hardly for no reason.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/zarick13/morgue-zarick13-20200411-212543.txt

Finally won a transmuter, and big too. Having 400+ HP feels really good. I just wish Dragon Form was more competitive with Statue Form; it just makes you a big sack of HP without much defense whereas in Statue Form you can be a literal brick shithouse.

Gooncrawl is worlds away nicer to play any character that relies on buffs; the permabuff system reduces the tedium so much it's unbelievable.

Can someone lay out exactly what skeletons/abominations do? I feel like they're not super well explained in the manual and since they're gooncrawl-specific there's not really anywhere else to look for info. I might try those or Gnolls next.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Zarick posted:

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/zarick13/morgue-zarick13-20200411-212543.txt

Finally won a transmuter, and big too. Having 400+ HP feels really good. I just wish Dragon Form was more competitive with Statue Form; it just makes you a big sack of HP without much defense whereas in Statue Form you can be a literal brick shithouse.

Gooncrawl is worlds away nicer to play any character that relies on buffs; the permabuff system reduces the tedium so much it's unbelievable.

Can someone lay out exactly what skeletons/abominations do? I feel like they're not super well explained in the manual and since they're gooncrawl-specific there's not really anywhere else to look for info. I might try those or Gnolls next.

Skeletons: Haha, you die, but you're the coolest motherfucker around until you do so. Did you want a melee-biased undead race with severe health penalties and an on-demand mini-berserk that also gives you compulsory target fixation until you or everyone you see is dead? No? WELL gently caress YOU, SKELEMANS IS HERE ANYWAYS. Skeletons are loving difficult, but they're also skeletons of skelefun.

Abomination: Somewhat difficult early-game in no small part due to innate rf- (at two pips even, I think?), but if you survive you get All The Stats and All The Slots and hey some mutations too why not, and you can be a horrific super-min-maxed lategame blender.

Gnolls: They are darlings and I love them. Admittedly, gnolls appeal to my playstyle of not paying enough attention to the early game (where gnolls excel) and pretending I'm playing Nethack later on with a copy of every consumable and three weapons stuffed into my overflowing backpack (where gnolls go to the Abyss if you want to do anything late-game-ish with your skills).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

cheignolls rule because you can do literally whatever you want

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I've discovered two things today:

1) The singing sword can spawn as a dancing weapon in some vault
2) It gets its sonic wave but it does not work...correctly.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

SirSamVimes posted:

cheignolls rule because you can do literally whatever you want

Inspired by this I rolled a Gnoll Archeologist, intending to go Chei and from the crate out pops: Maxwell's Patent Armor (-Tele, etc etc etc)

NO RETREAT, NO SURRENDER!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Step from Time basically accomplishes everything you'd want teleport to anyway, tbh. it's a good match

sure you can't blink, but eh

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Chei basically follows the formicid strategy of "If I'm powerful enough I don't need to run away".

Good god, got my first win with that glorious snail

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

tylertfb posted:

Inspired by this I rolled a Gnoll Archeologist, intending to go Chei and from the crate out pops: Maxwell's Patent Armor (-Tele, etc etc etc)

NO RETREAT, NO SURRENDER!

Last time I played cheignolls I got the same thing and ended up casting level 9 spells while wearing it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I haven't done much with Chei. Do you have to actually explore areas manually instead of just hammering O and tab? Sounds like effort imo.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Do you have to actually explore areas manually instead of just hammering O and tab?

normally no because you can roll around with gold dragon armour and still cast spells and also have the best escape in the entire game, but you do in Hell because it's entirely possible to turn a corner into a group of enemies that can use Hellfire and lose 400 hp before you get a turn

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Abominations are so much fun. Skeletons are insanely difficult and I have never gotten one off the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

So I haven't played in probably a year or so, and when I log onto Gooncrawl on CKO I'm greeted by this:

Then it crashes after a few seconds. Mainline, trunk and the other forks all work fine, any idea what's causing Gooncrawl to lose its mind?