Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Not collecting toys as an adult >>>>>>>>> collecting toys as an adult
I've said that for years, buuuuut I do have this on my computer desk. :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://twitter.com/AllisonPregler/status/1249616330220847106

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

fenix down posted:

I've said that for years, buuuuut I do have this on my computer desk. :sweatdrop:

I have this bad boy sitting on my work desk

I find him motivational because he's unstoppable :v:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Best of Youtube Found Footage 2020

The Trident: The Land We Call Home is probably the first ever Bajan kaiju film - and easily the best!

Low-level TV Journalist Reesa Price investigates video of a creature dubbed "Immortal Tridenti", part of a wave of monster sightings across Barbados in early 2020. Besides the usual need for some tighter editing, The Trident hits way above its budget with solid effects work and exceedingly clever writing. The expected plot trajectory of one of these films is out of the way in the first 15 minutes, opening up a space for things to become genuinely unpredictable as an elaborate Plan 9 conspiracy unfolds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVsnOPpGxoA

I love how FF just went overseas, pretty much every notable FF movie from the past 3 years or so is outside the Anglosphere.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I'm definitely a being dick about it. Sure, everyone can enjoy their thing and it's not my business. Yeah, I probably own plenty of things that someone could roll their eyes at, too. And I don't think there's anything wrong with having a couple things tastefully around their place or on their work desk if it makes you happy. But, anecdotally, every time I've gone into someone's apartment and it's covered floor to ceiling with Marvel and Star Wars toys and Mondo posters and whatever I think "Yeah, based on their personality, this makes sense."

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!
gently caress joel mchale and tmz, i didn't see this posted or talked about during Tiger King chat, but here's the real extra episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L3eg0r9skg

it's a prequel! if you were watching TK and thinking "i wonder what that rick kirkham guy was up to before all this, too bad he didn't video record his personal diaries for 30+ years including his long descent into coccaine/crack addiction," boy have i got news for you.

its depressing folks, check it out!

edit:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love how FF just went overseas, pretty much every notable FF movie from the past 3 years or so is outside the Anglosphere.

autohead fucks

Uatu The Lurker fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 14, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

You are wrong there, in a baffling and still offensive way. The main character’s best friend is a white guy avatar named H but late in the movie he meets H who turns out to be a Black lesbian who was kicked out of her home for being gay, but she realized that Oasis solves racism because Black users can just dress up as white people and no one will treat them differently! Just subsume into white culture and racism will end! Also the main character still refers to H as “he” because the avatar is male.

:stare: Words fail me.

Grendels Dad posted:

I take some pride in never having received one even though I'm the nerd in my circle of friends. gently caress those things.

I own one Pop figure. I only got it because I was going to meet Bernie Wrightson at a comic con and I wanted something that wasn't a book for him to sign (I brought three books with me) and the only Swamp Thing stuff I could find was a stupid Pop figure. He was a super nice guy and I still get mad when I think about how they crammed him in this far off corner with very few people going to see him while people were paying 80 dollars to stand in line for hours so Frank Miller would quickly scrawl his name on garbage books.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely a being dick about it. Sure, everyone can enjoy their thing and it's not my business. Yeah, I probably own plenty of things that someone could roll their eyes at, too. And I don't think there's anything wrong with having a couple things tastefully around their place or on their work desk if it makes you happy. But, anecdotally, every time I've gone into someone's apartment and it's covered floor to ceiling with Marvel and Star Wars toys and Mondo posters and whatever I think "Yeah, based on their personality, this makes sense."

If you don't like my Godzillas then you're dead inside.

I am and adult who owns action figures and it is absolutely a huge loving waste of money.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Uatu The Lurker posted:

gently caress joel mchale and tmz, i didn't see this posted or talked about during Tiger King chat, but here's the real extra episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L3eg0r9skg

it's a prequel! if you were watching TK and thinking "i wonder what that rick kirkham guy was up to before all this, too bad he didn't video record his personal diaries for 30+ years including his long descent into coccaine/crack addiction," boy have i got news for you.

its depressing folks, check it out!

Hell yeah, this is way more interesting than some reunion show. The entire time I was watching Tiger King I was just like "What is this dude's deal? Is that his real voice?" That the answer is "cocaine" is not terribly surprising.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uatu The Lurker posted:

autohead fucks

Autohead is brutal.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Hm, I read multiple stories about him being a consultant on the film but maybe I'm giving greater importance to those reports than they deserve. But reading the Wikipedia he "convinced" Spielberg to include a number of things so it's definitely not the case where Spielberg wanted to divest himself of the guy's influence.

Reminder that Spielberg is the sort of guy who had Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall fire people from Amblin when they operated as his right and left hand during the 90s because he didn't want to be seen as the bad guy*. What I'm saying is Spielberg's kind of a coward? Cline was part of the package, I doubt El Beardo would feel comfortable telling him "your ideas suck and your book is awful, this is about as bad as when I read Jaws the first time". Maybe another director would have managed to cut him out of the project, but Spielberg is the sort of guy who'll just keep rolling along because, hell, he just wants to be making the movie, he's had to deal with bigger nuisances than a chubby nerd with a producing credit on the project.

There's an hour-long (studio-approved, obviously, so everyone says nice things) documentary out there from the home video release and it's kinda funny to hear people using the weasel phrases for "this thing we're basing it all off of is crap but the premise feels like it's money", like "oh it's so... dense" or "we thought it was unmakeable... to get all of this in one movie", or Spielberg admitting he read the book last and being very selective in his words, just being like "Ernest really built this world around the story, we just had to cut to the core of it to make it a movie" before the doc immediately moves on to the point where they rewrite the script. You get the feeling everyone knew the book was poo poo, but hey, Steven Spielberg's turned poo poo books that sold extremely well into the highest grossing movies of all time! Maybe this time it'll work, too!

Instead we got a middling Spielberg movie with interesting ideas all over the place that still greatly outpaces the book by being about 5000% less weird and goony about... everything. You could say it's a difference between a guy who is proud of going to like every Butt-Numb-A-Thon and counts Harry Knowles as a friend and a guy who, as big a nerd as Spielberg is, wouldn't ever want to sit for twenty-four hours in a movie theater with a bunch of internet people.

* This was a problem he ran into when he started up DreamWorks with Geffen and Katzenberg, since Marshall and Kennedy didn't take on similar roles at DW when he scuttled Amblin for it, and went back to simply producing. Instead, Geffen ended up firing the people Steven decided weren't fitting the studio's culture. And Geffen was not happy having to do it - he had a record label to try to get off the ground (and underage teenage boys to lure into DEN and his yacht and house), but he sort of wrote his own will on that front because it was he who told Katzenberg "[Spielberg] is the golden goose" and said they needed to insulate him the way he'd been insulated at Amblin.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I watched Aquaman and the whole time I’m thinking “this is the autobiography of jar jar binks”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

I watched Aquaman and the whole time I’m thinking “this is the autobiography of jar jar binks”

I think it was SMG who called it "Black Panther for stupid people" not in the sense that it was just a dumber version of that movie, but in the sense that stupid people could relate and identify with the film in a similar way that Black people related to and identified with Black Panther.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

An octopus plays drums in Aquaman and therefore it's the best movie of 2018.

James Wan is a genius.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

I think it was SMG who called it "Black Panther for stupid people" not in the sense that it was just a dumber version of that movie, but in the sense that stupid people could relate and identify with the film in a similar way that Black people related to and identified with Black Panther.
Wait, does Aquaman involve a CIA-backed coup against the rightful ruler of a sovereign nation too?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Skwirl posted:

Well whoever it was, they missed the mark. Black Panther is Black Panther for stupid people.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Black Panther is Black Panther for stupid people.
Oof
:ohno:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Black Panther and Dark Knight Rising both made me sympathize far more with the villain than the heroes.

I mean Bane had some good ideas and Killmonger had a program we could all get behind though his methods of seizing power might not have been the best.

also:
I need to fine tune the masking a bit, the stomp gets very wonky during the fall, but otherwise I'm well on my way to a complete short.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 14, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

Black Panther and Dark Knight Rising both made me sympathize far more with the villain than the heroes.

I mean Bane had some good ideas and Killmonger had a program we could all get behind though his methods of seizing power might not have been the best.

DKR wasn't a good movie or anything, but the whole point was that none of that was actually Bane's philosophy, it was just mock populism bullshit to allow his boss to kill lots of people.

FreudianSlippers posted:

also:
I need to fine tune the masking a bit, the stomp gets very wonky during the fall, but otherwise I'm well on my way to a complete short.

This however is already a good movie.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I want more entries in the Matthew McConaghay Florida Cinematic Universe

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Skwirl posted:

That was Chapo Trap House’s episode on it, not SMG.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

Not collecting toys as an adult >>>>>>>>> collecting toys as an adult

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pirate Jet posted:

That was Chapo Trap House’s episode on it, not SMG.

Oh yeah, I generally skip their movie review episodes because they almost always see movies before me and then I never go back and listen to them, so I sorta forgot I ever listened to that one.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Skwirl posted:

That was Chapo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

The Senate loves his mad stacks. Always has.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

You are wrong there, in a baffling and still offensive way. The main character’s best friend is a white guy avatar named H but late in the movie he meets H who turns out to be a Black lesbian who was kicked out of her home for being gay, but she realized that Oasis solves racism because Black users can just dress up as white people and no one will treat them differently! Just subsume into white culture and racism will end! Also the main character still refers to H as “he” because the avatar is male.

This reminds me, has anyone done a movie about the chat rooms in early AOL? They were teeming with guys pretending to be girls so they could have cyber-sex (text sex) with girls who were probably also guys.

I'm not even sure where that falls on the scale of gender fluidity.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I know we're all fans of knife culture here, so here's a commentary I did with a certain Benghazi loving former poster on Surviving Edged Weapons

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

Wait, does Aquaman involve a CIA-backed coup against the rightful ruler of a sovereign nation too?

No, but the rightful ruler is a warmongering rear end in a top hat who fights Aquaman in a quasi wrestling match with tridents instead of wrestling.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

To word my thoughts better: it’s a comic book movie and is therefore made to be enjoyed by stupid people.

Please don’t mistake my cultural elitism for racism!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Please don’t mistake my cultural elitism for racism!

Don't worry, I know it's just classism.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

DeimosRising posted:

BTBR’s onscreen backstory is all in the 60s (though of course implicitly stuff happened in between) and then Mandy also features a hippie adjacent cult and focuses on that late 70s into the early 80s wave of fantasy novels, very Moorcock/Gene Wolfe kind of poo poo. I think you’re right that it’s about a sense of history, but not just the 70s but even the 60s, you can’t really extricate the new age poo poo, self help business culture, health cults, reaganomics, etc from their antecedents in the first Nixon administration

Also since I’m listening to Red literally at this moment, let’s not forget that Mandy opens with an extended section from a track released in 74
I thought it was brilliant how Jeremiah Sand's cult are all burned-out rejects and clueless kids, and his music is so earnestly dorky. Everyone's initial reaction to them is "Hippies? Really? In 1983?"

Baron von Eevl posted:

DKR wasn't a good movie or anything, but the whole point was that none of that was actually Bane's philosophy, it was just mock populism bullshit to allow his boss to kill lots of people.
Yeah, that's the point of these movies. All revolutionaries are either phonies or "too extreme."
I thought Army@Love was a nonsensical dream I had.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 14, 2020

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Black Panther is not only a cowardly movie for how they handled its antagonist and race issues, it's a morally repugnant one, because the biggest black blockbuster movie in years gave a sloppy blowjob to the CIA, of all things. This is extra noticable, not only because they just as easily could have replaced the CIA dude with an agent from SHIELD or any other of the myriad made up organisations in comic books, or because the CIA agent was originally a state department employee in the comics, but also because the loving CIA tweeted about the movie

https://twitter.com/CIA/status/1099844069092741121?s=20

https://twitter.com/CIA/status/1099847092221165569?s=20

https://twitter.com/CIA/status/1099854981992198144?s=20

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Who the gently caress follows the CIA on Twitter

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

McCloud posted:

Black Panther is not only a cowardly movie for how they handled its antagonist and race issues, it's a morally repugnant one, because the biggest black blockbuster movie in years gave a sloppy blowjob to the CIA, of all things. This is extra noticable, not only because they just as easily could have replaced the CIA dude with an agent from SHIELD or any other of the myriad made up organisations in comic books, or because the CIA agent was originally a state department employee in the comics, but also because the loving CIA tweeted about the movie

The movie's villain is a CIA asset using CIA techniques to take over an indigenous country and supplant its rulers, then plans to use the CIA's techniques for destabilizing democratic governments to start a worldwide race war.

I've seen better blowjobs in the amateur section.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

The movie's villain is a CIA asset using CIA techniques to take over an indigenous country and supplant its rulers, then plans to use the CIA's techniques for destabilizing democratic governments to start a worldwide race war.

This info is given to the viewer by the good CIA guy and nobody tells him how hosed up that all is so no, it's still absolutely a blowjob. Killmonger is just a bad apple.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
The flavor of state-sponsored propaganda usually does come in the form “there are some bad apples but we try our best and overall do good,” which is also why Captain Marvel - a movie which demonstrably had Air Force tie-ins - had the lightest possible criticism in the form of “some Air Force members were a bit sexist back in the 90s.”

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Lurdiak posted:

Killmonger does take the throne legitimately, and it isn't like his coup is actively backed by the CIA or any other type of intelligence agency.

The problem is always gonna be that if you include a CIA agent as an ally of the heroes while only paying lip service to the CIA's history regarding the American Civil Rights movement and with non US or Soviet aligned countries from the 50s to now, all of the unspoken historical poo poo undermines any points that the movie is making itself, regardless of how the movie defines itself ideologically.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

feedmyleg posted:

Who the gently caress follows the CIA on Twitter

Don’t be so rude to John Krasinski!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

This info is given to the viewer by the good CIA guy and nobody tells him how hosed up that all is so no, it's still absolutely a blowjob. Killmonger is just a bad apple.

Also to cut off the typical follow up argument, Ross is nowhere near the bumbling comic relief character he's made out to be in these arguments. He's every bit the "good apple, trying to do the right thing and succeeding" CIA exemplar they want to show.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Also to cut off the typical follow up argument, Ross is nowhere near the bumbling comic relief character he's made out to be in these arguments. He's every bit the "good apple, trying to do the right thing and succeeding" CIA exemplar they want to show.

Yeah, Ross is only comical in that he is a little overwhelmed by Wakanda's crazy tech and gets shut down a few times in a "the adults are talking" role reversal, but he is never not shown to be confident, competent and morally upright... even when telling the heroes about the strategies of his employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

And I cannot stress this enough, the CIA agents big heroic moment is murdering black revolutionaries with a drone.