Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Generic Monk posted:

are these available in the uk? i note the ‘elements’ drives have amazon reviews of people doing this stuff

Yeah, elements, easystore, mybook, any of the WD 10tb or 12tb single drive externals will have white label drives in them. My NAS has drives from both easystore and elements, identical drives, different cases. Just buy whatever goes on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

easystores are just Best Buy exclusive to avoid price matching, but Amazon knows what's up anyway and will usually follow the price of easystores with their elements to stay competitive

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
WD Elements are also acceptable for shucking. I've done 4 of various sizes and years.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any chance we can get the shucking instructions in the OP? Or should I just google "shuck eastystores" whenever I need it?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any chance we can get the shucking instructions in the OP? Or should I just google "shuck eastystores" whenever I need it?

I used this last week and it worked perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6VCQ64DkfM

The first time I did it a few weeks earlier I broke the clips, this time everything was intact.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've never needed to do that bit with the "fifth" piece of plastic. If you get the first four pieces in the right place you'll probably get the cover to scoot back on its own.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, elements, easystore, mybook, any of the WD 10tb or 12tb single drive externals will have white label drives in them. My NAS has drives from both easystore and elements, identical drives, different cases. Just buy whatever goes on sale.

now thinking of all the money i've spent on reds and feeling v sad lmao

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

now thinking of all the money i've spent on reds and feeling v sad lmao

heck, :same:

i've been needing to add to my server, so i guess i'm gonna go shuccing because lol at hdd prices

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
i'm through something like two generations of upgrades since initially starting with reds

shuck, shuck you fools!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

In a tale as old as time I had a scare with a possibly corrupted/ and/or failing HDD last week and I've been putting more thought into backing up my stuff a little more regularly. Since I'm also fiddling around with setting up a Plex server, I figured NAS would work best so I could serve both use cases (or at least I assume it can) at once.

I've also got some spare hardware from a recent PC upgrade (an i5 6600k, a GTX 970, and 16 gigs of DDRsomething RAM).

As someone who's like, gaming level tech-savvy (IE can use a computer, but no experience with servers or non-Windows OS), would I be better served just buying something prebuilt/standalone like one of the Synology solutions, or would I get better performance/features out of making a DIY server with a bunch of storage? I'm willing to read up and learn some stuff, because computers are neat.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How is Asustor, besides being slightly cheaper than Synology? The reviews don't seem too bad.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GruntyThrst posted:

In a tale as old as time I had a scare with a possibly corrupted/ and/or failing HDD last week and I've been putting more thought into backing up my stuff a little more regularly. Since I'm also fiddling around with setting up a Plex server, I figured NAS would work best so I could serve both use cases (or at least I assume it can) at once.

I've also got some spare hardware from a recent PC upgrade (an i5 6600k, a GTX 970, and 16 gigs of DDRsomething RAM).

As someone who's like, gaming level tech-savvy (IE can use a computer, but no experience with servers or non-Windows OS), would I be better served just buying something prebuilt/standalone like one of the Synology solutions, or would I get better performance/features out of making a DIY server with a bunch of storage? I'm willing to read up and learn some stuff, because computers are neat.

Unraid makes it pretty easy if you'd prefer to use your spare hardware and if you're planning on running Plex for more than one device/share to friends over the internet I'd suggest you'll want the extra power for transcoding vs a Synology solution.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you can read and follow directions, you aren't space / noise constrained, and you don't mind not having IPMI, you've already got some seriously good hardware for a server.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

If you get one of the newer Synology devices with the Celeron J3455 processors you can tear through transcodes if you have plex pass and enable hardware transcoding. I’ve had 7 going at once without breaking a sweat, but I also don’t mess with 4K transcoding, that goes on a private share for just me.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Maybe this is old news, but I didn't have any knowledge of it.
I had some suspicious issues cropping up on one of my IronWolf 10TBs recently, so I ran a battery of tests, without any results. Turns out, firmware bug.

https://blog.quindorian.org/2019/09/ironwolf10tbfirmwarefix.html/

If anyone has any Seagate IronWolf or IronWolf Pro 10TB drives, you basically need to update the firmware if you've never done so. That link has all the details.
If you're doing it under windows, those drives do support deferred updating mode, so it's easy to do.

Firmware is here: https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/certificate.html?key=1237891795995
Start by doing a list of your drives to identify the correct one(s) (this is assuming you're running Windows, the tools are in the firmware zip file under command line tools\seachest. The firmware file is under the firmware directory..)
code:
SeaChest_Firmware_270_11923_64.exe -S
And then you can flash the correct drive (PD#) with the firmware. Make sure you of course use the correct PD number, and make sure you really are flashing the right type of drive - in my case: ST10000VN0004-1ZD101 - old firmware: SC60, new SC61.
I suggest you read the documentation instead of blindly copying my command so you know what you're doing.

code:
SeaChest_Firmware_270_11923_64.exe -d PD# --downloadFW TatsuIronwolfSATA-STD-512E-SC61.LOD --downloadMode deferred --activateFW
Edit: Oh, and as an aside, I found this out in a reddit thread (I know) about WD Red drives between 2TB and 6TB being SMR. Avoid like the plague.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 15, 2020

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

HalloKitty posted:

Edit: Oh, and as an aside, I found this out in a reddit thread (I know) about WD Red drives between 2TB and 6TB being SMR. Avoid like the plague.

Wow that's shady as gently caress. SMR is an affront to God. I guess they want people to pay up for more expensive drives to get CMR?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If you treat your ZFS pool like WORM storage, SMR is great. Otherwise, it's absolute dogshit.

So the real question you have to ask yourself is: Why am I deleting stuff, when I have a perfectly legitimate excuse not to?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

Maybe this is old news, but I didn't have any knowledge of it.
I had some suspicious issues cropping up on one of my IronWolf 10TBs recently, so I ran a battery of tests, without any results. Turns out, firmware bug.

https://blog.quindorian.org/2019/09/ironwolf10tbfirmwarefix.html/

If anyone has any Seagate IronWolf or IronWolf Pro 10TB drives, you basically need to update the firmware if you've never done so. That link has all the details.
If you're doing it under windows, those drives do support deferred updating mode, so it's easy to do.

Firmware is here: https://apps1.seagate.com/downloads/certificate.html?key=1237891795995
Start by doing a list of your drives to identify the correct one(s) (this is assuming you're running Windows, the tools are in the firmware zip file under command line tools\seachest. The firmware file is under the firmware directory..)
code:
SeaChest_Firmware_270_11923_64.exe -S
And then you can flash the correct drive (PD#) with the firmware. Make sure you of course use the correct PD number, and make sure you really are flashing the right type of drive - in my case: ST10000VN0004-1ZD101 - old firmware: SC60, new SC61.
I suggest you read the documentation instead of blindly copying my command so you know what you're doing.

code:
SeaChest_Firmware_270_11923_64.exe -d PD# --downloadFW TatsuIronwolfSATA-STD-512E-SC61.LOD --downloadMode deferred --activateFW

Awesome. I have 2 6TB WD60EZRX in my server, should I be concerned?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

TraderStav posted:

Awesome. I have 2 6TB WD60EZRX in my server, should I be concerned?

From the article is seems like mostly the WDx0EFAX are the ones people are having problems with so you should be good unless you try to replace one with one of those.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Rexxed posted:

From the article is seems like mostly the WDx0EFAX are the ones people are having problems with so you should be good unless you try to replace one with one of those.

Ah, that's good to hear. Thank you

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
OK I’m back again and need some help for the next step; I got 4x14TB Easystores all in the house and I’m going to start running SMART stuff on them.

For going with a Synology box, is there a compelling argument to go with a DS1819+ over a DS1019+? I’m starting off with 4 drives and my data needs will remain under 28TB until probably the end of the year. I don’t have a burning desire to mess with Plex, but I want the flexibility to have transcoding to beam movies to a phone or tablet. I’m more interested in having the ability to host a VM or two... but the 8GB of RAM seems a bit limited on the 1019?

Here’s the data sheet comparison: https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/compare/DS1019+/DS1819+

The major caveat with my indecision is that I really don’t want to spin up my own box and CJ it. Thanks as always~~

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

Wow that's shady as gently caress. SMR is an affront to God. I guess they want people to pay up for more expensive drives to get CMR?

Completely agreed, what the gently caress WD.

Guess this makes the option of buying used SAS drives and self insuring by buying a spare at the same time, a little more attractive.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Phone posted:

OK I’m back again and need some help for the next step; I got 4x14TB Easystores all in the house and I’m going to start running SMART stuff on them.

For going with a Synology box, is there a compelling argument to go with a DS1819+ over a DS1019+? I’m starting off with 4 drives and my data needs will remain under 28TB until probably the end of the year. I don’t have a burning desire to mess with Plex, but I want the flexibility to have transcoding to beam movies to a phone or tablet. I’m more interested in having the ability to host a VM or two... but the 8GB of RAM seems a bit limited on the 1019?

Here’s the data sheet comparison: https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/compare/DS1019+/DS1819+

The major caveat with my indecision is that I really don’t want to spin up my own box and CJ it. Thanks as always~~

If you're dead set on using the synology as your plex transcoder then don't get an 1819. Get the largest unit you can afford with the transcoding features you need. In SHR2 mode you're going to be tossing 50% of your storage down the drain in the 4-disk box.

Rexxed posted:

Wow gently caress them. Looks like I have EFRX and EMAZ disks.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

BurgerQuest posted:

Unraid makes it pretty easy if you'd prefer to use your spare hardware and if you're planning on running Plex for more than one device/share to friends over the internet I'd suggest you'll want the extra power for transcoding vs a Synology solution.

I'd be interested in sharing over the internet so I could take my library with me, so homemade sounds like the better option then.

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you can read and follow directions, you aren't space / noise constrained, and you don't mind not having IPMI, you've already got some seriously good hardware for a server.

I'm reading a lot of recommendations for ECC memory, but considering I'd need a new motherboard and new RAM on top of the new case and PSU I'll need regardless, that starts looking like double the price of a 2 drive Synology NAS even with a free CPU and GPU.

Is ECC memory really that important or is this another case of hardware enthusiasts with deep pockets doing some unintentional gatekeeping?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Do you have non-ecc ram available now? If I'm honest, I'd use that assuming it's otherwise compatible. I've not seen a really convincing case for typical home use.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

H110Hawk posted:

If you're dead set on using the synology as your plex transcoder then don't get an 1819. Get the largest unit you can afford with the transcoding features you need. In SHR2 mode you're going to be tossing 50% of your storage down the drain in the 4-disk box.

Seems like a 1819 is the way to go; the Celeron processor in the 1019 is either dogshit garbage or Atoms have gotten way better since I was loving around with the first gen of them back in college. :v:

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

HalloKitty posted:

This might explain some of the dogshit performance and the random churning I've had with my lil home server. I couldn't really narrow it down with all the variables at play. And maybe the increased shuffling is why they die so much faster than other drives. If there's another easystore sale soon maybe that's what I'll use my ronabux on.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

GruntyThrst posted:

Is ECC memory really that important or is this another case of hardware enthusiasts with deep pockets doing some unintentional gatekeeping?

It's less gatekeeping and more "we are coming at this with the assumption that you are building this from scratch and really care about your data" at which point ECC is a pretty minor additional add to the overall BOM.

I'll agree with Heners_UK that if the option is "use existing gear for free" vs "spend a ton of money just to get ECC to protect my ISOs" then I'd also go with the free kit and call it a day. The likelihood that RAM corruption is going to bork your files is pretty low, though not zero. But when you compare that to the risk of keeping your data on your existing setup, it's a wash, frankly.

RAID (even RAIDZ) Is Not A Backup, so you should already be keeping your baby pics and other irreplaceable data backed up somewhere else, anyhow.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Phone posted:

Seems like a 1819 is the way to go; the Celeron processor in the 1019 is either dogshit garbage or Atoms have gotten way better since I was loving around with the first gen of them back in college. :v:

Ok - know that you will likely be unable to transcode video in real time on it. You will need something to handle that. I slapped a NUC next to mine, which is about the bare minimum of computer janitorial work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DrDork posted:

It's less gatekeeping and more "we are coming at this with the assumption that you are building this from scratch and really care about your data" at which point ECC is a pretty minor additional add to the overall BOM.

I'll agree with Heners_UK that if the option is "use existing gear for free" vs "spend a ton of money just to get ECC to protect my ISOs" then I'd also go with the free kit and call it a day. The likelihood that RAM corruption is going to bork your files is pretty low, though not zero. But when you compare that to the risk of keeping your data on your existing setup, it's a wash, frankly.

RAID (even RAIDZ) Is Not A Backup, so you should already be keeping your baby pics and other irreplaceable data backed up somewhere else, anyhow.

Couldn't say this any better myself. If you were pricing out all new gear then I'd sacrifice a bit of CPU power (or power efficiency) to go for some actual server parts that have ECC and IPMI capabilities. But given the pain in the rear end of selling gear you've got, I'd run what you have instead. The money you'd spend to swap out the gear you have today with something equivalent that has ECC and IPMI would be better spent on some form of backup solution for your critical data (paid backup storage, a harddrive stored elsewhere, whatever).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

H110Hawk posted:

Ok - know that you will likely be unable to transcode video in real time on it. You will need something to handle that. I slapped a NUC next to mine, which is about the bare minimum of computer janitorial work.

I don't have a transcoding need right now, and I'm not doing any Plex stuff as-is so I don't see a pressing need to start.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Transparent compression is loving awesome. I just freed up over 100GB just by simply moving some data from the zroot/storage/unsorted dataset on my server to the zroot/storage/(software|tvseries|movies|etcetera…) datasets which use a the same compression algorithm.
I do wanna switch to 1M datablocks, though.

eames
May 9, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Seagate has done this for a while now. I bought an external Lacie drive that exhibited very strange performance characteristics and had to dig through multiple datasheets to confirm that the drive inside it uses some form of SMR. Lacie support didn't even know what I was talking about.
I suspect as time goes on CMR drives will become rare in the consumer space, because SMR gives manufacturers cheaper capacity and the average consumer won't notice a difference as they remain within the bounds of multitiered caching. :rip:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
ECC doesn't matter for home use.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

ECC doesn't matter for home use.
ECC matters if you want a stable server.

Also, speaking of OpenZFS, It's happening!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

D. Ebdrup posted:

ECC matters if you want a stable server.

Nope. It really doesn't. Not for home use.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Thanks for all the responses, y'all. My budget doesn't allow for buying a new $300 motherboard and RAM, so non-ECC it is! Super important stuff will be redundantly stored ~in the cloud~ and I can always replace the media files. So now it's just acquiring a case, a PSU, and some HDDs which should be simple enough. Then I gotta look up the software side of things.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Matt Zerella posted:

Nope. It really doesn't. Not for home use.

Yeah, it's obviously nice to have but millions of people get away without somehow

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

D. Ebdrup posted:

If you treat your ZFS pool like WORM storage, SMR is great. Otherwise, it's absolute dogshit.

So the real question you have to ask yourself is: Why am I deleting stuff, when I have a perfectly legitimate excuse not to?

they can stall when the write buffer is full and fault out of the array, which can cause problems during rebuilds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

they can stall when the write buffer is full and fault out of the array, which can cause problems during rebuilds
Say what?!