Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Some of the Sheep posted:

Nope. In the episode Critical Mass we see a sequence of her piloting the Anubis into the asteroid and lashing it to the rock.

Cool, thanks for the correction.

Ugh though. That would be like a professional yacht racer getting on board a top-of-the-line modern destroyer and being able to pilot it. I love me Julie Mao and her character is very capable; but seems tricky. I remember when Holden Amos Naomi and Alex initially got on the Tachi, the Martian officer had to verbally transfer command over to them. Protogen apparently has a lower level of security protocols on their stealth ships!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Who knows what state the ship was in following the protomolecule breakout. Or if her being the big bosses daughter gave her some kind of override.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

gfarrell80 posted:

Cool, thanks for the correction.

Ugh though. That would be like a professional yacht racer getting on board a top-of-the-line modern destroyer and being able to pilot it. I love me Julie Mao and her character is very capable; but seems tricky. I remember when Holden Amos Naomi and Alex initially got on the Tachi, the Martian officer had to verbally transfer command over to them. Protogen apparently has a lower level of security protocols on their stealth ships!

It doesn't seem super far-fetched. As I understand it, modern tanks don't have locks or anything preventing ignition, presumably because the Venn diagram of "people inside this tank" and "people allowed inside this tank" is nearly a single circle.

As far as actually being able to pilot the thing, that doesn't seem too out-there, either. If you can drive a car, you could probably manage to drive a semi down an open road without killing yourself, if you had to—especially if you had some degree of AI assistance.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'd believe a military vessel could be driven by someone with civilian industrial experience like, say, the Roci crew. Large industrial machines are pretty similar to large military machines, hell the military ones are usually direct descendants (tractors to tanks etc.). But Julie Mao was an idle rich girl who liked to fly her two-seat pleasure racer around, the Anubis even with all its bleeding edge automation probably still has a crew 10x that and more importantly 10x the mass and bulk. Just seems weird to me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I feel like one person could probably limp it into a hidey hole.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Maybe she really likes Solar Space Truck Simulator 2352 and is good at it though. She would have the money to get some good hardware for it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The plot hole status of "how was this dumbass rich kid able to park a stolen warship in the shadow of an asteroid" ranks well below "how the hell can you motivate a bunch of mercenaries to go into a shooting match against a modern military's first-rate battleship with the full knowledge that most of them are dying" and "what the hell makes you think it is a good idea to set off an apocalyptic solar-system wide war between two superpowers just so you can activate an uncontrolled alien matter reprogrammer inside a trillion dollar colony"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ripley could drive that Colonial Marine APC and her only training was moving cargo with an exo suit

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Phobophilia posted:

The plot hole status of "how was this dumbass rich kid able to park a stolen warship in the shadow of an asteroid" ranks well below "how the hell can you motivate a bunch of mercenaries to go into a shooting match against a modern military's first-rate battleship with the full knowledge that most of them are dying" and "what the hell makes you think it is a good idea to set off an apocalyptic solar-system wide war between two superpowers just so you can activate an uncontrolled alien matter reprogrammer inside a trillion dollar colony"

she's an expert spaceship pilot, having her pilot a spaceship doesn't seem weird

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Julie had also been out slumming it in the belt for a while. While she's certainly experienced kicking it around in the Razorback, I get the feeling her piloting skills extended well into flying bigger and heavier ships too. Her dad's mega-space yacht at the very least. A ship like the Roci is supposed to have a full-sized bridge crew too, but for non-combat operations you only need a single pilot. Alex is just dang good enough to fly the Roci on his own, and the rest of the crew helps out with other stuff. Hell, in Caliban's War (I think, might be wrong), Bobbie is pretty drat impressed that Alex has been flying the Roci and manning the guns at the same time. Julie Mao is supposed to be a drat good pilot too, so her docking the Anubis with a rock doesn't throw me for much a loop.

A massive mega-corp skimping on the proper security controls for their top-secret stealth ship doesn't surprise me much either.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
Well see we were going to put state of the art security in our illegal private warships but instead we remembered that no one knew about them and saved two billion dollars which we used for stock buybacks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

Julie had also been out slumming it in the belt for a while. While she's certainly experienced kicking it around in the Razorback, I get the feeling her piloting skills extended well into flying bigger and heavier ships too. Her dad's mega-space yacht at the very least. A ship like the Roci is supposed to have a full-sized bridge crew too, but for non-combat operations you only need a single pilot. Alex is just dang good enough to fly the Roci on his own, and the rest of the crew helps out with other stuff. Hell, in Caliban's War (I think, might be wrong), Bobbie is pretty drat impressed that Alex has been flying the Roci and manning the guns at the same time. Julie Mao is supposed to be a drat good pilot too, so her docking the Anubis with a rock doesn't throw me for much a loop.

A massive mega-corp skimping on the proper security controls for their top-secret stealth ship doesn't surprise me much either.

It actually repeatedly bothers me how the Roci does just fine at well under skeleton-crew levels. I don't care how good someone is at their job, the MCRN isn't putting a huge crew on a ship for fun if they don't need to and the Roci runs so lean it stretches my believability a bit. They get crews for some of the truly major points where it would be just too far, but even so.

Obviously a super minor point but it's there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ravenfood posted:

It actually repeatedly bothers me how the Roci does just fine at well under skeleton-crew levels. I don't care how good someone is at their job, the MCRN isn't putting a huge crew on a ship for fun if they don't need to and the Roci runs so lean it stretches my believability a bit. They get crews for some of the truly major points where it would be just too far, but even so.

Obviously a super minor point but it's there.

Yes, but some of that crew would be off duty and resting so they can run all the time. The Roci crew aren't running 3 shifts or whatever.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, I think the Roci runs a skeleton crew for a single shift on the ship. Most of the other crew would be around for different duty shifts and maybe a handful of MCRN marines for boarding actions/defense. I think they say at one point she can normally staff like 30 people, and if say, six of them are marines, that's 24 crew divided amongst two or three shifts, depending on how the MCRN runs things. They're running with half of a shift, typically. But when you consider that everyone onboard is a player character with heroic levels, that's pretty close to a full crew.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Troof.

But I still think Julie, who definitely flies just small racer type skiffs, is not equipped to fly a warship. It would be like a Ultralight pilot jumping in the cockpit of a 747 or an F35. Even if there are no security measures, stuff's got to be a little different.

gfarrell80 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 15, 2020

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Isn't there the implication that the ships kinda fly themselves at one point?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Depends on the ship, but a modern Martian naval ship like the Roci is automated enough it can be operated by a single person who doesn't even have to be aboard.

They do talk about the crew being too small though. They can run the ship fine, but there's no backup if someone is injured or killed.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

Isn't there the implication that the ships kinda fly themselves at one point?

Autopilot, yeah, and a good one you can probably tell to just tell to take you from earth to ganymede without you needing to touch a button, but for combat manauvers and stuff theres someone with their hand on the stick.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Didn't the computer fly the ridiculously complicated no main engine course around like 60 moons to go undetected and land on Io (or some other moon) when they were grabbing Prax's daughter? I know the computer plotted the course, but it seemed like the computer had to also execute the moves and Alex was there to make sure the ship didn't hit anything (like the other ship doing something similar).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The controls consist of an iPad and some buttons on a chair a toddler could prob fly it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

banned from Starbucks posted:

The controls consist of an iPad and some buttons on a chair a toddler could prob fly it.

until they press the big red glowing button (the sun)

I assume weapons are a different iPad

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It's going to be like the airbus/boeing design distinction, all the Earth and Mars ships are based on being lazy and labor extractive making everything safe and automated, Belters gotta get in to every nook and cranny and try to fly their ships with the focus on human control and ability.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

swickles posted:

Didn't the computer fly the ridiculously complicated no main engine course around like 60 moons to go undetected and land on Io (or some other moon) when they were grabbing Prax's daughter? I know the computer plotted the course, but it seemed like the computer had to also execute the moves and Alex was there to make sure the ship didn't hit anything (like the other ship doing something similar).

I think that was supposed to be a free-fall trajectory for a stealthy entrance. So it was basically a cosmic trick-shot in pool...

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Just finished Book 2 and I have to say it was much much better than than Book 1. Looking forward to Book 3.

Does the series go off the rails at some point and become garbage or are their good books further into the series?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Book 4 is notoriously iffy but overall I can't really say any of the later books are just straight bad even if they're also varying degrees of far from perfect.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

Book 4 is notoriously iffy but overall I can't really say any of the later books are just straight bad even if they're also varying degrees of far from perfect.

is it safe to say Book 3 is the best one?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

TommyGun85 posted:

is it safe to say Book 3 is the best one?

I think Book 5 is regarded as the best one.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Tiamat's Wrath (#8, the newest) is loving great

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

kerwyn posted:

Agreed. I can't wait for #9.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah book 4 is weak compared to the rest of them, but not overall terrible. Make sure to read the short stories they've released too, because they definitely add to the overall story.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Book 4 kinda spends a lot of time mucking about, season 4 really improved the pacing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

kerwyn posted:

I will never get tired of scifi/fantasy books with absurdly portentous titles.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I will never get tired of scifi/fantasy books with absurdly portentous titles.

Tiamat is the Babylon goddess of the sea. It's a cool title. Chill.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

CLAM DOWN posted:

Tiamat is the Babylon goddess of the sea. It's a cool title. Chill.

Portentous, not pretentious.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I haven't had coffee yet today, in my defense.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Pretty sure Ty Franck came out and said they try to make the book titles as pretentious as possible on purpose lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In the grand Babylon 5 tradition

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

I haven't had coffee yet today, in my defense.

I even looked it up to make sure I got the right word!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Methusaleh's Crucible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
what are Caliban and Cibola references to?