Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Xenocides posted:

Getting strong obesity/eating disorder vibes with the child basically being her hated inner guilt. It doesn't sound like they are eating together and instead OP is just snacking and being very defensive "I can eat what I want when I want" because I paid for this food! If this was a normal meal the response is "No, that is yours and this is mine." If it is a normal snack you offer the kid some. It is easy.

hmmm...

quote:

It can be anything... cakes, chocolate, chips, drinks... You name it

you may be on to something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

The Om symbol is pretty commonly used by Indian restaurants.

I had to fire my sensei when I realized all the yin yangs in his dojo's logo meant he was pushing taoism on me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Licarn posted:

AITA for not wanting to share my room with my nephew

Boy those edits tell a story.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Invisible Clergy posted:

WIBTA If I do not give inheritance to my husband's kids who hated him since his divorce?

Promise them a share if they join you on your island retreat and fight each other to the death. Then give them nothing.

The mom broke down with guilt the second money was at stake you say? What an odd and completely unforeseen coincidence.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for wanting my Go Fund Me donation back?

A family member of mine is struggling with infertility. I'm very close with her and her husband and I wanted so badly for them to have their dream of becoming parents.

When they started a Go Fund Me to pay for in vitro fertilization I donated $500 and through the GFM they raised an admirable >$3k. Unfortunately, for those who are familiar, $3k is no where near the $10k they need.

Since then, she's told me that she's going to accept "God's plan" and that they aren't going to have kids. She isn't looking into adoption because she really just wanted her kid. I expressed my sympathy and asked what she was going to do with the GFM money. She said that she isn't intending to return the $ because if she had gotten to $10k she WOULD have done in vitro.

To another family member, I expressed that this didn't sit well with me and they freaked out calling me insensitive. Am I wrong here?

Note, there was no clause in the GFM that if she didn't reach her goal that the $ would be refunded, that I am aware of.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Licarn posted:

On one hand they let you stay with them and on the other you are an unpaid babysitter. Gonna go with ESH.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Smirking_Serpent posted:

this guy is obviously a giant piece of poo poo, i'm just posting it for the quotes:

(30m)(27f) My boyfriend kept going on about how much he enjoyed his exes during an argument with me about sex.

This guy needs to suck some dick himself so he can see how quickly your jaw gets sore. All men should suck dick, obvs, but this guy needs to do it because he's being a huge rear end in a top hat.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for wanting my Go Fund Me donation back?

Gods plan is for me to buy a dirt bike with your 3 grand and do some sick wheelies.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

My [18M] friend [20F] wants me to stay with her so she wouldn’t be alone for now, would it be wrong of me to initiate sex with her?

quote:

We are both going to the same university which is how I met her (I’m a freshman being 18 and she is a junior and 20) and she has her own place off campus. I was dorming since my finacial aid covers most of the costs. I also was planning on going back home since I live like an hour and a half or 2 away from campus, but my friend kept insisting on me staying with her since she was lonely so I’ve been staying here for the past few weeks.

I am staying with her for now and I might go back home during our summer break from scool, but I am staying with her for now since I am getting money back from my school for leaving the dorms so it’s a benefit for me. She doesn’t have very many friends and we are kind of close and I have known her since last summer when I took summer classes.

I do like her and have a crush on her and I enjoy spending this time for her. We watch shows and movies together, we do homework together, we play games, talk a ton, and she likes to snuggle and cuddle with me a lot and I like it. I was staying on the couch at first but she has been wanting me to sleep in her bed with her now.

I’ve tried being respectful and wearing more clothed when I sleep with her, but she asked me to sleep how I usually do to be more comfortable with her (just shorts or just boxers) so I think she’s fairly comfortable with me.

She does some things that make me feel like she is interested in in too though because last time before falling asleep she kept rubbing her feet against mine and she she turned around and I she laid her face under mine. It has been like this these past few days and I feel like maybe she is sending signals?

Or is it normal for friends to be this close? Also would I be stupid to try and make a move, or would that be too much and possibly make her feel uncomfortable. To my last question, if I do make a move, how should I do it?

Tldr: my close friend asked me to stay with her while all this goes away since she is lonely, I’ve been sharing a bed with her these past few days and I want to make a move on her but I am unsure due to the circumstances

If only she was sending some kind of signal that she was interested. Alas that it has not happened.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
It's impossible to know for sure

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Licarn posted:

r/relationships: I AM NOT A SANTANIST

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my bf of 2 years to stop contacting my family?

quote:

My (23f) boyfriend "Mark" (28m) comes along with my family really well. I used to love this side of our relationship until Mark an I started having problems.

The past 8 months we've been fighting quite a bit more than we used to. For the most part we've been talking things through and are working on keeping personal stress out of the relationship. However, when we do fight - no matter who starts it or how significant or insignificant the reason is - Mark tends to vent it on my parents, especially on my mother. Mark's not very close with his parents (rarely meets his mom, never met his dad), so in a way I'm happy for him finding a support network in my family.

It's just that I used to be able to talk to my mother very openly about my things and for quite some time it has happened that Mark's been telling his side of things before me, and my side is not heard anymore. At first my mom was pretty objective about what she heard, but now she and my dad have been taking Mark's side in everything. Eventually I did stop talking about any of this to my family, but they keep bringing up our disagreements about which they've heard from Mark. My mom keeps referring to Mark as "the son she never had" (I have 2 sisters) and it seems that she's worried of us breaking up and therefore defending Mark in everything.

Things escalated yesterday when I eventually told Mark that his behavior has changed my family's dynamics and I'd appreciate if he didn't talk about our interpersonal stuff to my parents anymore. He was upset and claimed that he doesn't specifically call my mom in order to complain about me, but these things just come up. I responded with "then just stop calling her", which was a bit too hurtful but honestly - I find it hard to believe he doesn't call especially to complain about me when my mom seems to know our fights thoroughly in just a matter of hours. He's acting like nothing happened now but I can tell he's not fine.

AITA?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Garrand posted:

Flashing back to Scrooge McDuck on DuckTales talking about Santa: "He knows what HE DID."

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my bf of 2 years to stop contacting my family?

Don't break up. You already know which child they will choose to keep.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Garrand posted:

I feel like it's the "Edit 4:" that really makes it

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I wasn't sure what to think about that until she mentioned one of the conditions for her living there is she "can't sass or talk back to him." gently caress that and that brother is a piece of poo poo. The edits are all good but I think that's the buried lede. Especially when learning that rear end in a top hat doesn't pay rent and it isn't even his house.

I guess none of that matters though because brother's dad is back in the house and I doubt brother is in charge anymore.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Garrand posted:

r/relationships: I AM NOT A SANTANIST FEAT. ROB THOMAS OF MATCHBOX 20

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

QueenAnnesDead posted:

Offtopic, but oh my (non-pushy) gods, yes, you absolutely must. Parsi food is to die for. I'm locked down tight in the US of A but among the many home things I'm sick for is my favorite if rather bougie-fied Parsi restaurant chain. Feast your eyes: https://www.sodabottleopenerwala.in

(Sodabottleopenerwala and similar family names do exist in the Indian Parsi community, it's wonderfully quaint)

Oh, wow, I was just screwing around. I thought there were only a few hundred Zoroastrians left and didn't know any of them ran restaurants. I am also imprisoned in america. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: I'm familiar. I am Indian as well. My family knows one or two similar -walas. Great naming schema.

I've been living with my girlfriend [26F] for almost a month, dating for 1.5 years. She's revealing an... increasing interest in Vampire role playing which was fun at first but now I'm [24M] worrying it's going too far

quote:

Okay so basically we have been seeing each other for a while and have talked a lot about moving in together, we spent a lot of time at each other's places anyway, and so once this Covid thing was getting more serious we figured now was a good time to just bite the bullet and do it. I was nervous obviously due to the fact we'd be spending most of the day together, every day since we don't leave, except to go for food shopping, but I think it's a good test to see if we are ok with this, then getting married is definitely a realistic option.

Obviously, spending a lot of time at home, there is only so much Netflix I can watch, although the massive amount of weed we bought has helped a lot (I haven't smoked much since Uni but figured with this downtime...), and we've been having a lot of sex. We used to be pretty active before this and have role-played in the past, and have done a vampire one before. However now since moving in it's been popping back up very frequently and while it was a bit of a laugh the first few times she is now focusing a lot more on authenticity. I did not realise there was so much knowledge available about vampires, and not to go into too much detail, but while she is 'in-character' she is apparently a 'sam gwein' (?) which is not elvish or welsh apparently. I am almost always a powerless regular human which I'm cool with I don't really want to do homework to prep for role play accuracy.

At the start it was just some light bondage and biting which was cool, but now more recently it's turning into heavier duty restraints and there is more biting, which I was ok with but after the 3rd time of her drawing blood I've asked her to reduce the bites (nowhere dangerous it was mainly around the upper shoulder). She was annoyed and called me boring. I now see her practicing these fancy rear end knots all day, and while I can't see what she's doing on her computer my gut is that she's researching more vampire stuff. And I should add that she has started doing more vampire stuff in her everyday life which I thought was her doing a 'bit' at first but now I am less sure. I am non religious but her family is Christian I think, she was never really 'actively' practising, but she did have a few jesusey things about like a cross necklace she wore, which I found all bundled together in a bag stuffed in the back of the wardrobe. She's still fine with garlic?

I have spoken to her several times about all this before I decided to post, but it always involves a lot of deflection and her telling me not to worry and that I'm overthinking, and to just have another joint or drink. I'm just worrying that this is an escalating situation to maybe cope with the quarantine or moving in? Is there anything I should be worried about? Has anyone had a similar situation with their partner?

TL;DR - GF is escalating her involvement as a vampire during role play and shuts down discussion about it when I try and approach the point that it might be too serious

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 14, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xenocides posted:

Getting strong obesity/eating disorder vibes with the child basically being her hated inner guilt. It doesn't sound like they are eating together and instead OP is just snacking and being very defensive "I can eat what I want when I want" because I paid for this food! If this was a normal meal the response is "No, that is yours and this is mine." If it is a normal snack you offer the kid some. It is easy.

Twist reveal, there is no child :spooky:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for “stealing” jeans from my girlfriend?

My girlfriend sells used/vintage clothes on the side for extra money. She found some old Levi’s at a thrift store we both go to but she ended up not buying them because she was on the fence about them for some reason. A few days later I texted her from the same store while she was at work. She asked if i would buy the jeans while i’m there and she’ll pay me back. I found the jeans and they happen to be my size so I tried them on. I liked them a lot and they fit perfectly so i bought them for myself instead. She said i bought them out from under her, it was a selfish thing to do, etc. I argued that they were free game since she didn’t buy them when she was there the first time. AITA for keeping the jeans instead of giving them to my girlfriend so she could sell them?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Invisible Clergy posted:

I've been living with my girlfriend [26F] for almost a month, dating for 1.5 years. She's revealing an... increasing interest in Vampire role playing which was fun at first but now I'm [24M] worrying it's going too far

Goth girlfriend knows how to fucken party!

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My girlfriend sells used/vintage clothes on the side for extra money. She found some old Levi’s at a thrift store we both go to but she ended up not buying them because she was on the fence about them for some reason. A few days later I texted her from the same store while she was at work. She asked if i would buy the jeans while i’m there and she’ll pay me back. I found the jeans and they happen to be my size so I tried them on. I liked them a lot and they fit perfectly so i bought them for myself instead. She said i bought them out from under her, it was a selfish thing to do, etc. I argued that they were free game since she didn’t buy them when she was there the first time. AITA for keeping the jeans instead of giving them to my girlfriend so she could sell them?

This person must understand not to jeopardize those jeans.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

this guy is obviously a giant piece of poo poo, i'm just posting it for the quotes:

(30m)(27f) My boyfriend kept going on about how much he enjoyed his exes during an argument with me about sex.

I like that this guy is constantly begging for her to suck his dick and then insults her by saying that she sucks dick. What is his endgame?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

SpaceViking posted:

I like that this guy is constantly begging for her to suck his dick and then insults her by saying that she sucks dick. What is his endgame?

Ideal endgame? Bang maid.

Actual endgame? Dying alone and hating women

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I feel like the nice thing to do would be to pick them up for her, then offer to buy them at the resale price from her. If she accepts, great. If she lowers the price because you are dating, great. Either way, you get the jeans you wanted and she doesn't feel cheated.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Bobulus posted:

I feel like the nice thing to do would be to pick them up for her, then offer to buy them at the resale price from her. If she accepts, great. If she lowers the price because you are dating, great. Either way, you get the jeans you wanted and she doesn't feel cheated.

This kind of reasonable care for others and seeking out logical and compassionate compromise is the kind of thing, if practiced generally, that would end this thread. What would we do then?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Xenocides posted:

This kind of reasonable care for others and seeking out logical and compassionate compromise is the kind of thing, if practiced generally, that would end this thread. What would we do then?

r/AmItheNicehole?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
AITA for changing my name? my parents named me Qur'stylle (Chrystal)?

quote:

So my rear end in a top hat scumbag parents named me Qur'stylle and my whole life i have gotten poo poo like "are you muslim" "what language is your name originated from?" "what country are you from" and people butchering its pronunciation, for obvious reasons. I have always told people to just spell it as Chrystal and my parents (mainly mom) would take huge offense to it and would email my teachers every year to make sure they pronounce my name correctly.

My mom even grounded me once because I told people to just make save my name as Chrystal in their contacts. Now that I'm a legal adult i got my named changed to Chrystal so now i don't have to deal with this fuckign bullshit for the rest of my life. Having this bullshit spelling and having to correct everyone everyday was annoying as hell and everyone before they met me would always think I'm some spoiled brat bitch when that isn't true at all. Your name affects how people see you, much of it is subconscious, and having these bullshit spellings is not good.

My mom lost her poo poo and started crying and threatened to cut me off for doing this. She said i betrayed her and our family by doing this. Im pretty sure I'm in the right but i need a sanity check here. I told my mom to go gently caress herself and gently caress her for causing me all these problems in my life and not supporting me and taking my complaints into considerations over my own fuckign name. My mom is a oval office and my dad is a spineless coward.

I remember hearing about an actual study showing that having a crazy name like that can make it substantially harder to get a job, what with that being the first thing most employers notice on a resume.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

One of my middle names is misspelled on my birth certificate but spelled correctly on my Social Security Card. That has caused me more problems than I ever thought possible.

Chrystal's life must have been a nightmare in comparison.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Cockmaster posted:

I remember hearing about an actual study showing that having a crazy name like that can make it substantially harder to get a job, what with that being the first thing most employers notice on a resume.
Maybe don't spell in Chrystal when you change it either, although that's at least several steps better than Qur'stylle.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

don longjohns posted:

One of my middle names is misspelled on my birth certificate but spelled correctly on my Social Security Card. That has caused me more problems than I ever thought possible.

I am forever grateful to the unknown lady in the Goan birth registry office who stopped my dad from putting all 7 of my names on my birth certificate, with the very reasonable explanation that if he did that, I'd have to use them all in any official documentation. (they're not even particularly weird names, mostly old relatives, just there's a lot of them.)

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

don longjohns posted:

For what it's worth: the dude at my local social security office said that your birth certificate means gently caress all if you have a social security card. Whatever is on the SSA card is what your name is, as far as government functions are concerned.

I can corroborate this from local dealings. In Kentucky, at least. Who knows what the gently caress other states do.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

McSpanky posted:

r/AmItheNicehole?

Nah, niceholes are a specific thing. Niceholes are people that slam their breaks to let people make lefts in traffic or wave pedestrians through crosswalks when they don’t have right of way. The kind of people who think they’re doing someone a favor but are making it worse for everyone around them.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
neg my nicehole

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Nah, niceholes are a specific thing. Niceholes are people that slam their breaks to let people make lefts in traffic or wave pedestrians through crosswalks when they don’t have right of way. The kind of people who think they’re doing someone a favor but are making it worse for everyone around them.

That actually makes perfect sense, thanks.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Xenocides posted:

It's also really typical for kids to develop control issues around food when they're feeling stressed or uncertain. It may be manifested by becoming extremely picky, having meltdowns if the food is not exactly what they expect (or is what they expect but is slightly the wrong color or shape), fears about running out of food, hiding food, wanting to stockpile, being obsessed over portions, that sort of thing. You see this even in absolutely normal child behavior, but it's exaggerated by stress.

This is one of those "not really about food" food issues. I would not be surprised if the adults around the kid are talking about shortages, not being able to go to the store, and other quarantine issues. The child's schedule is shot, they're feeling insecure and uncertain, grown-ups are being weird, and if Dad's girlfriend eats that chocolate it may be the last chocolate ever and it's mine!

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

NecroBob posted:

For what it's worth: the dude at my local social security office said that your birth certificate means gently caress all if you have a social security card. Whatever is on the SSA card is what your name is, as far as government functions are concerned.

I can corroborate this from local dealings. In Kentucky, at least. Who knows what the gently caress other states do.

I wish that were the case. When the quarantine is over I am requesting a new Social Security Card, finally, because of that new Real ID bullshit

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Cockmaster posted:

Yeah, and it has to do with racism. https://www.nber.org/papers/w9873

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Tons of goons will get all up in arms when people get creative with names as well, it's not just something other people do. Seems pretty deeply ingrained in some way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And trying to explain to them that what they're doing is actually dangerous driving because they're making traffic wildly unpredictable is an exercise in futility.

I really hate these fuckers.