Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Sampatrick posted:

I can dig it. One of the big things I'd like them to work on is specifically how they represent native society - the idea that all natives were essentially either migratory or tribal monarchies just isn't borne out by literally any research.

Yeah after I get the mechanics working next up is adding new cultures and then maybe I'll see about creating new idea sets and governments. Have to fill out South America at some point, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

I'm in the process of creating a mod to do just that. I've finished filling North America with tags for native nations using their endonyms. Currently trying to implement infectious disease mechanics to model the massive depopulation after European contact.

This looks really good and I'm excited to see how it's coming along.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Yeah after I get the mechanics working next up is adding new cultures and then maybe I'll see about creating new idea sets and governments. Have to fill out South America at some point, too.

What are the New England tribes, I couldn't read them.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

I'm in the process of creating a mod to do just that. I've finished filling North America with tags for native nations using their endonyms. Currently trying to implement infectious disease mechanics to model the massive depopulation after European contact.

How does colonisation work in this kind of map? Do you just have to ship over an army and conquer your way across north america? It feels like you'd also need to redesign / restructure the exploration / expansion idea groups.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

zedar posted:

How does colonisation work in this kind of map? Do you just have to ship over an army and conquer your way across north america? It feels like you'd also need to redesign / restructure the exploration / expansion idea groups.

Ideally after first contact, disease will spread across the continent, and anywhere that gets hit particularly badly will become a depopulated province that can then be colonized. The major problem I'm running into now is I can't find a mechanic to allow a province to revert to having no owner after it has a city on it.

Mooseontheloose posted:

What are the New England tribes, I couldn't read them.

Yeah the provinces there are pretty small and by the time you zoom in enough to read them it switches over to province names. They are:

Haudenosaunee, Muhhekunneew, Nipmuc, Quinnipiac, Pequot, Narraganset, Wampanoag, Massachusett, Abenaki, Kennebec, Panawahpskek, Passamaquoddy, Welastekwewiyik, and Mikmaq.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Ideally after first contact, disease will spread across the continent, and anywhere that gets hit particularly badly will become a depopulated province that can then be colonized. The major problem I'm running into now is I can't find a mechanic to allow a province to revert to having no owner after it has a city on it.

make them cede it to a tag that doesn't exist. For example, "cede_province = NONE" should work

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

AnoHito posted:

make them cede it to a tag that doesn't exist. For example, "cede_province = NONE" should work

I was trying to cede it to the default natives (NAT) tag and that wasn't working. I'll try this when I get home, thanks!

Edit: This did indeed work, so that's one roadblock taken care of.

Gravity Cant Apple fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 16, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I dunno if the game's engine would support it, but would it be possible to have AI allies (with high trust at least) able to warn you that they're planning to call you into an aggressive war? Presumably you should get hit with the same penalty as a dishonoured call if you break the alliance between then and the war starting, or start your own war and call them in. Maybe have the AI give like, three months' notice, and then another popup if something so radical happens that they no longer plan to attack?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just got the Sun God cheevo. It was actually fairly easy. Does anyone else think the New World nations are a bit OP now? The colonial nations are just too weak to put up a fight on their own. There should be a mechanic where they can call in their overlord and/or the other colonies under certain circumstances.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

o-oh. i'm sorry buddy.

i broke alliance with Savoy because I was over the limit and he got dogpiled loving instantly.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Phlegmish posted:

Just got the Sun God cheevo. It was actually fairly easy. Does anyone else think the New World nations are a bit OP now? The colonial nations are just too weak to put up a fight on their own. There should be a mechanic where they can call in their overlord and/or the other colonies under certain circumstances.

i think the overlord can enforce peace on you and then they'll join if you say no. v strange flavor wise though

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

I havent played this game in an eternity and most of the mods I use are cosmetic. I have all the expansions EXCEPT:
-Golden Century
-Rule Britannia
-Cradle of Civilization
-Mandate of Heaven
-Mare Nostrum

I like playing nice chill games of building tall and messing with trade and maritime stuff generally. I'd like to play in the Middle East/South Asia. What are some good nations for my playstyle? Also, what are the good mods for EU4 now, especially for domestic politics?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cool dance moves posted:

I havent played this game in an eternity and most of the mods I use are cosmetic. I have all the expansions EXCEPT:
-Golden Century
-Rule Britannia
-Cradle of Civilization
-Mandate of Heaven
-Mare Nostrum

I like playing nice chill games of building tall and messing with trade and maritime stuff generally. I'd like to play in the Middle East/South Asia. What are some good nations for my playstyle? Also, what are the good mods for EU4 now, especially for domestic politics?
I really enjoyed Hormuz when I got their achievement about two years ago, though their start position has changed and i doubt either old or new start positions are too chill, at least initially.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I really enjoyed Hormuz when I got their achievement about two years ago, though their start position has changed and i doubt either old or new start positions are too chill, at least initially.

Oman is the new Hormuz. A decade or two of desperately loving Hormuz, then chill. Unless Timmies come for you.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

i really, really hope that when eu5 eventually comes out, that it has a more accurate and less racist depiction of native american societies
Haha yea, I tried Cherokee and just LOL that the pro strat is to abandon the area and go Nahuatl to escape those loving awful mechanics

The federations actually sound loving baller and like something that they should steal from stellar is to improve and keep past reform

Phlegmish posted:

yeah I had people complain Aztecs were hard but uhh, I did the Aztecs, Mayans and Inti and they were all easy as hell. Even if I was decced you contest landings and annihilate colonies and it's a cakewalk

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I should have specified that it's the Meso-American and Andean nations that are pretty easy (as long as you manage to unify most of the region before the Europeans arrive). The NA states are probably still properly challenging, I haven't played them yet.

In particular, you can play Cusco or Aztec the way you normally would, just force-developing institutions in a cluster, and it's actually less challenging and more chill than starting out in the European thunderdome since you can easily dominate your neighbors at the start, giving you all the time you need to prepare for the Euros. By the time they get there, you should have technological parity, making the colonial nations easy prey. That's because said colonial nations are generally limited to a single region, mostly have less valuable provinces, and are diverting half of their trade power to their overlords. It's comically easy to just stomp all over them. I've even seen the AI do it on occasion. The only really dangerous situation is when you have multiple European great powers declaring war on you at once, you can get overwhelmed that way.

I'm not one to go 'but it's called Europa Universalis!!!', but the current balance doesn't seem quite right either.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, I should have specified that it's the Meso-American and Andean nations that are pretty easy (as long as you manage to unify most of the region before the Europeans arrive). The NA states are probably still properly challenging, I haven't played them yet.

In particular, you can play Cusco or Aztec the way you normally would, just force-developing institutions in a cluster, and it's actually less challenging and more chill than starting out in the European thunderdome since you can easily dominate your neighbors at the start, giving you all the time you need to prepare for the Euros. By the time they get there, you should have technological parity, making the colonial nations easy prey. That's because said colonial nations are generally limited to a single region, mostly have less valuable provinces, and are diverting half of their trade power to their overlords. It's comically easy to just stomp all over them. I've even seen the AI do it on occasion. The only really dangerous situation is when you have multiple European great powers declaring war on you at once, you can get overwhelmed that way.

I'm not one to go 'but it's called Europa Universalis!!!', but the current balance doesn't seem quite right either.

All the EU mechanics for anything "special" about the country or culture turn into the dumbest poo poo possible, but you can blob with it.

IRL: "We need a Jagiellon"->the Jagiellons rule Poland and Lithuania for more than a hundred years, and the extinction of their dynasty is what causes the truly elective monarchy and the eventual fall of Poland-Lithuania

EU4: "We need a Jagiellon"->Casimir IV is the one and only Jagiellon that you will ever see, because Elective Monarchy immediately happens, and it isn't bad at all. 9/10 times it just means Habsburg PLC forever and loads of free PUs for the slavic Habsburgs.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Phlegmish posted:

Doing well as the NA indians generally revolves around migrating next to the aztecs and murdering them.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Phlegmish posted:

In particular, you can play Cusco or Aztec the way you normally would, just force-developing institutions in a cluster, and it's actually less challenging and more chill than starting out in the European thunderdome since you can easily dominate your neighbors at the start, giving you all the time you need to prepare for the Euros

what institutions do you think you're seeding prior to euros arriving

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

All the EU mechanics for anything "special" about the country or culture turn into the dumbest poo poo possible, but you can blob with it.

IRL: "We need a Jagiellon"->the Jagiellons rule Poland and Lithuania for more than a hundred years, and the extinction of their dynasty is what causes the truly elective monarchy and the eventual fall of Poland-Lithuania

EU4: "We need a Jagiellon"->Casimir IV is the one and only Jagiellon that you will ever see, because Elective Monarchy immediately happens, and it isn't bad at all. 9/10 times it just means Habsburg PLC forever and loads of free PUs for the slavic Habsburgs.

Not to mention that the union that emerged between Poland and Lithuania was extremely tenuous, and IRL the only thing that really drove serious integration was Muscovite incursions snapping off huge chunks of territory as the local rulers defected to their coreligionists, with Lithuania failing like five times to defeat Muscovy alone.

In EU4: Poland and Lithuania have the same foreign policy from the instant the union forms. Attacking Lithuania means not only a total war response from Poland, but also all of Poland's allies.

The PU system is awful and they desperately need to fix in it EU5.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im personally just hoping for a new world thats more interesting for both colonizers and natives since the pre American revolution period is very interesting in the Americas but the game has reduced it to a very dull native experience and a race to build up colonial nations that you barely interact with once they can expand on their own.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

Not to mention that the union that emerged between Poland and Lithuania was extremely tenuous, and IRL the only thing that really drove serious integration was Muscovite incursions snapping off huge chunks of territory as the local rulers defected to their coreligionists, with Lithuania failing like five times to defeat Muscovy alone.
Yeah wasnt Lithuania as big as it was solely because they picked up so much land in the power vacuum left by the Mongol successor states being incompetent in the lead up to the 1450s? The Orthodox lords who still had their land were happy to be out from underneath an extremely foreign Mongol yoke, only to find out that the mostly foreign Lithuanians and their Catholicism is probably worse.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah wasnt Lithuania as big as it was solely because they picked up so much land in the power vacuum left by the Mongol successor states being incompetent in the lead up to the 1450s? The Orthodox lords who still had their land were happy to be out from underneath an extremely foreign Mongol yoke, only to find out that the mostly foreign Lithuanians and their Catholicism is probably worse.

Pretty much. It's a theme that plays out again and again in the region, all the way up to the Khmelnytsky Uprising, where even if the gentry is Catholicized and Polonized, the peasantry absolutely was not, and it stacked a large degree of hostility onto existing lines of tension.

EU4: Take Humanist ideas, never get religious revolts again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Poland even gets a tolerance idea, no?

Meanwhile, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polonization

Although Poland/PLC isn't the only culprit. Ottos START with a tolerance boost while irl the Ottomans were constantly transferring populations and practically were the god-kings of "expel minorites." But it wasn't (until after EU4 anyways :( ) a desire to erase any specific minority. It was a way to keep control of the empire. Like they settled anatolian nomadic turks, serbs, bulgarians, jews, and armenians in Trebizond, while expelling trapezuntine greeks to Constantinople. The end result was the trapezuntines became a drop in the human bucket that was Constantinople, while Trebizond became full of various peoples that were more loyal and accustomed to the Ottoman system than the greeks.

Humanist is so good mechanically and feels so dumb in the EU period.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Poland gets +3 Heretic Tolerance, but only as their capstone ambition. It's a weird bonus, Poland was pretty welcoming to religious minorities for the first century or so, but by the 1560s or so non-Catholics get cracked down on hard as the Counter Reformation gets going.

Lithuania starts with the same bonus in their traditions.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

EU4: Take Humanist ideas, never get religious revolts again.

Fixed this for you. The years of separatism and unrest modifiers also make it so new conquests are painless. If I recall correctly, the -10 years of separatism is effectively -5 unrest on newly conquered provinces. Add the -2 unrest modifier and separatism becomes ridiculously easy to manage. The tolerance and unity even makes conquering wrong-religion provinces painless. The cherry on top is the improve relations bonus that melts away AE. It's a completely broken idea group.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 17, 2020

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Fixed this for you. The years of separatism and unrest modifiers also make it so new conquests are painless. If I recall correctly, the -10 years of separatism is effectively -5 unrest on newly conquered provinces. Add the -2 unrest modifier and unrest becomes ridiculously easy to manage. The tolerance and unity even makes conquering wrong-religion provinces painless. The cherry on top is the improve relations bonus that melts away AE. It's a completely broken idea group.

Same but offensive. Having 15 day siege ticks is broke, you just ignore armies and siege their whole country while they're stuck on your forts

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Same but offensive. Having 15 day siege ticks is broke, you just ignore armies and siege their whole country while they're stuck on your forts

i recently started a new ottoman campaign on a lark and just lol @ guns of urban + engineer corps. 10 day siege ticks were common.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I'm nowhere near you OR your enemies/allies, but sure, you can waltz through I guess.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Detheros posted:

I'm nowhere near you OR your enemies/allies, but sure, you can waltz through I guess.

Well ysee, if they go all the way around Africa, across Arabia, and up through the Balkans, they can attack them from the east! A brilliant strategy.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Fister Roboto posted:

Well ysee, if they go all the way around Africa, across Arabia, and up through the Balkans, they can attack them from the east! A brilliant strategy.

:hmmyes:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ironman Morocco is fairly challenging, luckily the Tuat event fired and now I own most of West Africa. Yo Spain I heard you like Reconquistas

oddium posted:

what institutions do you think you're seeding prior to euros arriving

Use your imagination. Say you're playing a Maya state, then the classic Maya collapse is similar to the decline of the Roman Empire. There you go, that's your Renaissance.

Fister Roboto posted:

It's EUIV, this could absolutely happen. The main reason I build forts is so that I don't have to chase little troll stacks across the entire continent.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 19, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Use your imagination. Say you're playing a Maya state, then the classic Maya collapse is similar to the decline of the Roman Empire. There you go, that's your Renaissance.

No, he's talking about how the game mechanics prevent you from seeding institutions before reforming your religion, which is something you can't do without the presence of europeans on your border (or any other country that has embraced feudalism).

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No, they don't. Is that a DLC thing?

drat I thought I was a pro

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think this Austria game I've got going might actually be the first I play all the way to the end.

There's something oddly satisfying about having like +14 diplomatic reputation.
Makes integrating subjects zoom right along.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

No, they don't. Is that a DLC thing?

drat I thought I was a pro

It might be an El Dorado thing. I don't know how the Mesoamerican mechanics work without it. El Dorado implements religious mechanics for the Mesoamericans and the Peruvians where you have to reform your religion before accepting institutions, and you can't complete that until you have a neighbor with Feudalism. Reforming automatically accepts all institutions your advanced neighbor has and gives you 80% of their tech.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what is a good first country out of europe (and the mediterranean)? i've only ever played southern european countries, england and the ottomans, and don't feel like playing anything in europe since its getting revamped.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Davincie posted:

what is a good first country out of europe (and the mediterranean)? i've only ever played southern european countries, england and the ottomans, and don't feel like playing anything in europe since its getting revamped.

I had a fun Afghanistan into Mughals run after Dharma released. Team up against Timmy to declare independence and take back your cores, and then start eating up north india. The independence war can be a little tricky (try to get outside allies), but you become powerful rather quickly since the north indian lands are so developed.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Davincie posted:

If you want easy mode, then Timurids->Mughals is about as easy as it gets

If you want something less easy and fairly different from the usual Euro game but still not really rough, try forming Malaya from Malacca/Majapahit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Davincie posted:

I had fun playing AQ where you get the familiarity of Europe but in the thick of the middle east, Africa, and Asia. That being said be really prepared to be pissed at the institution systems.