Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah there are a bunch of email preferences. I think the very last one which is both really wordy and vague is the one that enables this.

Maybe they think that people just didn't want their bethesda client (which is true) but are otherwise very interested (which is false) so it's more a notice that it's on steam rather than that it exists at all.

Yeah but it must be a new thing since I’ve never gotten one before. I haven’t looked at the email preferences in the ~15 years since I’ve had the client tbh but thanks to Fallout 76 I will do so now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Still not going to play it though, I haven't figured out how to get into Fallout New Vegas yet so there's no way I can try 76.

Technically, 76 takes place before all those other games so it makes sense to play it first. This is totally a logical conclusion that I have arrived at.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gunboat Diplomat gifted(!) me Elex and asked that I talk about it as I play it, so - here goes! My thoughts so far: I should be sleeping, I'm late for bed. But it installed fast and I figured I'd give it a spin and... yep. It's Gothic all right. Similar camera angle, modern controls, and a similar type of writing. The opening cutscene was a neat loredump - ruined sci-fi planet filled with assholes - and now I'm playing as one of them.

I expected it, but yes, I am disappointed that I'm stuck playing as a boring white guy. Sigh. Anyways, I'm now exploring the intro area and picking up plants, as you do.

e: And then I died to a raptor thing. :allears:

e2: ooh it wants me to learn how to parry

e3: I feel like an expert for figuring out the rhythm of combat here. Kind of mushy, but fun.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 15, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Elex owns. If you're used to Gothic, you'll probably want to save your game before dialogues since some of them will lock you into conversation until resolution and one of the resolutions might be a skill-response (for extra rewards) that you're not qualified for yet.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Elex is good, don't be afraid to do the quests for all 3 factions you can't accidentally join one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sadly, I don't have experience with Gothic yet - I haven't put in even a full hour into it yet. I keep meaning to, but there are shinier, easier games in my library that draw me away. But it stays installed. And Elex was going to wait until I finished it, but I'm not about to turn down a gift. Especially not when it comes with a jetpack!

I am now super super late to bed but whatever! Video games, quarantine, and a lull in my class assignments. I have a busy week ahead of me. :D

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gunboat Diplomat gifted(!) me Elex and asked that I talk about it as I play it, so - here goes! My thoughts so far: I should be sleeping, I'm late for bed. But it installed fast and I figured I'd give it a spin and... yep. It's Gothic all right. Similar camera angle, modern controls, and a similar type of writing. The opening cutscene was a neat loredump - ruined sci-fi planet filled with assholes - and now I'm playing as one of them.

I expected it, but yes, I am disappointed that I'm stuck playing as a boring white guy. Sigh. Anyways, I'm now exploring the intro area and picking up plants, as you do.

e: And then I died to a raptor thing. :allears:

e2: ooh it wants me to learn how to parry

e3: I feel like an expert for figuring out the rhythm of combat here. Kind of mushy, but fun.

That was me! I've appreciated your reviews and figured with your taste in games you'd probably like it. It's fun but not for everyone, don't torture yourself with it if you're having a bad time, but I do recommend getting a guide to get through the early parts.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's also probably a way to playtest a bunch of mechanics they want to use in XCom 3, like the new turn order. If you look at the XCom 2 DLC's that were first released, they were all concepts that were built on heavily in War of the Chosen. The XCom playerbase is really good at picking apart the systems so that kind of massive feedback is absolutely something they're going for.

Yeah it reminds me a lot of ground zeroes; something put out to keep people interested and also as a way to iron out gameplay stuff before the actual game launches

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Two clarifications on Elex, since I'm kinda-sorta highly tempted to nab it on sale:

1) How replayable is it? Like, does it have the old school Bethesda zillions of stupid things to do schtick, or is it more a linear game with shittons of half-assed but interesting mechanics?

2) It's worth playing, right? Like, I know it's not good, but I've never been able to quite put my finger on whether Gothic games are "This is fun, too bad it's so lovely," or "This is so close to being fun, too bad it's so lovely".

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I finally stole enough time to throw together my Weeklong Deals list, which is big on roguelikes this week and includes some that rarely get discounts like Death Road to Canada. Also if you need something deep and relaxing, Patrician III is like a dollar and Grand Ages Rome is like $3 and you can pretty much play those forever if you like trading goods or building classical cities. I've got all that and more in my list of recommendations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The dollar tier rules just on the Darkness II and Pirates! alone.

Yeah lol this is the first one I've seen in a while where I can't wait to get the $1 tier but the higher ones don't appeal to me much. $20 seems a little steep for NBA2k at this point and WWE2k20 is apparently way worse than 2k19 in every respect

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

Two clarifications on Elex, since I'm kinda-sorta highly tempted to nab it on sale:

1) How replayable is it? Like, does it have the old school Bethesda zillions of stupid things to do schtick, or is it more a linear game with shittons of half-assed but interesting mechanics?

2) It's worth playing, right? Like, I know it's not good, but I've never been able to quite put my finger on whether Gothic games are "This is fun, too bad it's so lovely," or "This is so close to being fun, too bad it's so lovely".

1. It's not. You can do 95% of all quests on a single run, barring the very small handful of faction specific quests after you finally join one (like 2 or 3 each).

2. Yes, if you like being rewarded for exploration, zero hand-holding or monster/area level scaling, and min/maxing the skill system to get the most out of your character.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
Since my country is under a soft lockdown at the moment, I’ve been taking some time to clear out my steam backlog and one series that caught my interest is Assassin's Creed.

I have over the past years somehow acquired all the games in the main series during various sales but have only completed up to Assassin’s Creed 2. Is it a good idea to play through the series in chronological order and will I miss out on plot if I skip some of the games in between? I'm on Brotherhood now and the enormity of just this game alone is already quite intimidating. :suicide:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

shoc77 posted:

Since my country is under a soft lockdown at the moment, I’ve been taking some time to clear out my steam backlog and one series that caught my interest is Assassin's Creed.

I have over the past years somehow acquired all the games in the main series during various sales but have only completed up to Assassin’s Creed 2. Is it a good idea to play through the series in chronological order and will I miss out on plot if I skip some of the games in between? I'm on Brotherhood now and the enormity of just this game alone is already quite intimidating. :suicide:
Do not play every AC game.
Finish Brotherhood
If you want more, pick either Black Flag, Rogue or Syndicate based on whichever setting you prefer
If you want more, pick either Origins or Odyssey based on whichever setting you prefer

This is like the absolute max and you may be burned out way earlier than this.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Civ III not being in the dollar tier seems a bit insane to me.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

The Joe Man posted:

Do not play every AC game.
Finish Brotherhood
If you want more, pick either Black Flag, Rogue or Syndicate based on whichever setting you prefer
If you want more, pick either Origins or Odyssey based on whichever setting you prefer

This is like the absolute max and you may be burned out way earlier than this.

It's also worth noting that Origin and Odyssey are a pretty drastic departure in formula- I was thoroughly burned out on old-school AC, but still enjoyed both titles. If you wanna play the new ones I'd also recommend playing Origins first- it's good, but Odyssey is such a massive improvement in every way that it can be frustrating to go back.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DrNutt posted:

Civ III not being in the dollar tier seems a bit insane to me.

Yeah that's pretty weird for a 19 year old game

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah that's pretty weird for a 19 year old game

Especially when there's not really any good reason to play it over 4, 5, or 6 depending on your preferences.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

they don't want to devalue Civ VI

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

shoc77 posted:

You will miss absolutely nothing worth your time, believe me. The Desmond plot you may be expecting to continue ends very suddenly and to no meaningful or interesting resolution somewhere before Black Flag even starts. The Joe Man gives good recommendations for which games to pick up next, but I recommend going to Black Flag first, because it mixes up the game concept substantially by basically becoming 50% Sid Meier's Pirates! on top of also being a fully-featured Asscreed game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

And by fully-featured we mean you'd better like tailing people across three-house settlements.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, it's still better than AC3, so hey.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

There are a few Overwhelmingly Negative games on Steam.

Haha wow, i actually feel sorry for Bugbear Entertainment as they created the other Flatout games which are actually pretty good (and Wreckfest which is great)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

You've already played AC1 and 2, but I may as well just do this post for the whole series.

Definitely play AC1. It's the most interesting of the whole series, because it's from back when most of its ideas were pretty experimental. Altair also has a fairly simple arc, which is alright alongside the general establishment of the core series lore.

2 is a must play after that. Once you play 2, you've played most of the series up until Origins and Odyssey - the core formula doesn't appreciably change.

If you really like Ezio, the protagonist of 2, play through Brotherhood and Revelations too. It carries Ezio's story into his old age, and I actually thought it was a pretty neat and rare character arc from literal childbirth to the grave. You do end up genuinely missing Ezio Auditore da Firenze by the end. Maybe I feel that more because I played them as they came out. Feel free to drop the two sequel Ezio games at any point if you want to move on.

3 has a fantastic introduction, but once you reach the actual protagonist it's only good nowadays if you're a big War of Independence buff. Even at the time, some of the notable features like the battles weren't terribly exciting. The crazy King Washington DLC is pretty fun though.

All of the games before this point are all directly connected in the present day meta narrative, but only 2-Revelations are directly connected, with some callbacks to 1. So, the only games that really demand chronological for the Animus segments are 2->Brotherhood->Revelations, while the meta plot with Desmond just adds 1 to the top and 3 to the bottom of that chain. Missing nothing substantive if you skip to 4.

4 expands on the naval combat introduced in 3, and turns it from fun minigame to more than half of the actual game. Edward Kenway is a fun protagonist, and the game is full of charm. It's a kinda prequel to 3, seeing as you play as the main character of 3's grandfather, but other than that and a few recurring side characters in the present day meta narrative, it's not linked. If you want more naval combat, also grab Rogue. Freedom Cry is okay.

Unity and Syndicate are very throwaway. They're beautiful, but just more of the same old same old. IIRC they're the same as 4 in terms of plot links - just a few recurring side characters in the meta narrative. I think one or both of them might not even have one? I tuned out of them at this point.

Origins and Odyssey have a few lines at the start of the game for the meta narrative. Otherwise it's irrelevant. The gameplay also belongs in a different franchise. I'm in the minority, in that I dislike these two due to them being RPGs where level and stats really matter in terms of damage dealing and zone gating and whatnot, whereas all the other games have none of that, except for settlement or ship upgrades, or minimal combat boosts. Stealth kills not always being kills, even against mooks, kinda ticks me off. Reminds me of the new Ghost Recon before they added the mode that takes all that poo poo out.

Liberation was barely OK for the Vita. It is definitely not worth playing on PC. Don't bother with the 2D side scrollers. Otherwise, the worst you'll get is bland or buggy in the Assassins Creed series.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Unity and Syndicate are very throwaway. They're beautiful, but just more of the same old same old. IIRC they're the same as 4 in terms of plot links - just a few recurring side characters in the meta narrative. I think one or both of them might not even have one? I tuned out of them at this point.
Syndicate is somewhat special in that it has two playable character who you can switch between at will, who will get their own distinct dialogue in missions and who have their own character progression (one is supposed to be played as more of a brawler, the other more as a sneaky-stabby lass). It's a clear side game, but it's well-made, has a few interesting mechanics of its own, and I personally found it kind of charming. The protagonists play off each other better than the cast of many Asscreed games does.

Also, it has a Jack the Ripper DLC.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 15, 2020

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
The Dreadful Crimes DLC for Syndicate was a lot of fun, too - you got to play detective and solve crimes, hunting down clues with your eagle vision and stuff. I liked that DLC a lot.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Origins and Odyssey are really good if you just wanted more of Witcher 3 because honestly they're not all that different.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I loved Freedom Cry. Probably the AC I was most emotionally invested in. To contrast with Nazi killing, sadly very few games are about freeing slaves as a central conceit.

Do you free slaves at some point in AC3?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Trickyblackjack posted:

Do you free slaves at some point in AC3?
You do. I believe your mentor character is also a former slave, but it has been a long time since I played the game. He is, at any rate, an elderly black man in the 18th century, which brings certain themes with it.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

And by fully-featured we mean you'd better like tailing people across three-house settlements.

How about stealth tailing a giant ship IN YOUR OWN GIANT SHIP

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I have the opposite opinion on pretty much everything in that post. rear end Creed 1is def "watch a let's play or cutscene compilation on youtube, don't play".

Revelations is skippable even if you liked Ezio alot (to be fair, the ending is good).

I wasn't horribly enthused about 3, but didn't regret the time I've spent with it. The Washington DLC was a total waste of time though, and Liberation was even worse.

Unity and Syndicate were fairly filler, by Unity was just worthless in it's own right, while Syndicate was fairly competent and fun (and at least had something to say).

Cardiovorax posted:

Also, it has a Jack the Ripper DLC.
Yeah, but it's fairly terrible. And they shy from the obvious plot twist in the end.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Revelations is skippable even if you liked Ezio alot (to be fair, the ending is good).
Yeah, I'll second that. It's not terrible, but it really adds nothing interesting over Brotherhood.

Xander77 posted:

Yeah, but it's fairly terrible. And they shy from the obvious plot twist in the end.
Duly noted. Guess it's good I never finished it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Xander77 posted:

I have the opposite opinion on pretty much everything in that post. rear end Creed 1is def "watch a let's play or cutscene compilation on youtube, don't play".

Yes, definitely skip AC 1. It's like a proof of concept for the series where they were so busy establishing things they ran out of time to add meaningful content in between assassinations.

Also, let's make a game where stealth and parkour are big focuses and then have an endgame where you have to fight a lot of knights in open areas.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 15, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Neat feature I just discovered in the store: if you tell it to ignore something getting the front page banner treatment it'll restore the shop to standard appearances. Didn't expect that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My favorite thing about AC Origins/Odyssey is that they are fully-featured open-world RPGs. Mind you, not much in the way of dialogue choices, but you level up, find cool loot, do quests, and explore a massive world and really get into your character and it's really good! The actual plots are pretty good too - Bayek's quest to get revenge on the people who killed his son is emotionally gripping, and Kassandra is a force of chaos moving through Greece.

Which is to say, someday I'll play the older ACs, but they're very different games with different focuses on plot/gameplay/everything. This has upset one of my friends, as he misses when the games were more realistic and not RPGs.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Look at pretty pictures of the West Virginian Appalachian mountains while listening to Tennessee Ernie Ford. Congrats, you have now recreated the only reason to play Fallout 76.

I feel kind of bad for the people of West Virginia that they had to be associated with this

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm going to be the voice of dissent and say that I rather like these! They're not on par with what we expect now, but the lighting is fun and I like your framing. They kind of remind me of State of Decay 2, which is another game that doesn't look like a winner, but it accomplishes what it aims for and is expressive in its style.

Yeah SolidSnakesBandana, we're just making fun of Fallout 76. Your pics are cool and I like your murderhobette. :glomp:

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 15, 2020

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

I finally remembered the name of the program that had an insane number of variants. SolSuite

Gort posted:

Creeping down hallways, pushing doors open with your gun, dropping the mag when you try to reload in a hurry - it feels like plenty of gameplay to me.

Receiver 2 is out now

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 15, 2020

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Floodkiller posted:

For a lighter note with Receiver 2, I have without fail managed to shoot my leg while holstering with every single type of firearm I've been given so far.

oh poo poo, i was going to make a "I'm ready to fat-finger my way into shooting myself in the foot" joke when it had done downloading

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zetsubou-san posted:

I finally remembered the name of the program that had an insane number of variants. SolSuite

I might be about to make an irresponsible purchase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mierenneuker posted:

Yes, definitely skip AC 1. It's like a proof of concept for the series where they were so busy establishing things they ran out of time to add meaningful content in between assassinations.

I dunno, it's one that is impossible to go back to, relatively short and playing it is one hell of a way to set your expectations for 2. Maybe don't bother finishing it, but definitely play it for a few hours.