Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MoaM posted:

Cloud and Tifa's Limit Breaks are basically there if you need to end the third-phase of a boss; Rufus and Rude in Chapter 12 comes to mind. All the limit breaks just leave you waaaaaay too open in most of the important fights imo.

Literally got Cloud killed during the second Abzu fight (Hard) thinking I could just limit break at the start of his third phase....nope...lol...all the little shoats killed Cloud while he was doing the start-up animation; really unexpected and funny.

Chi Ball / Starshower set-ups or Punisher-Disorder combos are way more useful.

I don't know I haven't had much trouble with hard. I drop infinity's end a lot, but I also play kind of patiently. If you save your ATB for the right windows you just drop bosses. Obviously helps when you know they're going to piss off into a cutscene though.

Like load infinity's end as you drop a double firaga on that boss and it's basically phase over. If you have a limit even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Don't forget sorcerous storm for Aerith as a very useful ability, especially to clear out annoying enemies (crabs, lizards, special little hard mode ads during that one famous boss fight in ch9) for 0 mp.

Speaking of that ch9 boss fight, poison is really good on it.

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 15, 2020

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I've been juked by the boss-phase cutscenes so many times; it's incomprehensible to me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel like the 'worst' ability is probably Barret's ability to eat damage for the rest of your party, I've never used it after mastering it.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I feel like it never activates, or the threshold for it is too low. Similar to Auto-Cure.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's always active after you cast it: he just passively absorbs a percentage of all the damage anyone else takes for like a minute or two. It's not like a Cover move where he jumps in front of them to take the hit.

But unless you're staring at HP bars I guess it's kind of a subtle effect.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ApplesandOranges posted:

I feel like the 'worst' ability is probably Barret's ability to eat damage for the rest of your party, I've never used it after mastering it.

It seems good with the less damage for non active character thing but I'd rather have him with active poo poo.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I gained even more appreciation for Tifa doing the battle sims and realizing she's the only one fast enough to run around the Cutter's wind projectiles. That's pretty dang fast

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I didn't really use Barret's Point Blank ability after learning it. I either kept with Maximum Fury or Focused Shot for actual damage/stagger attacks.

I don't think in my playthrough there was any character that dropped off in usefulness. I hope they keep this up for the future characters.

Did anyone use Chakra? I got like three of them throughout the game and they just feel incredibly useless.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I feel like bio is kinda underrated in general, a stupid amount of enemies can be poisoned and the fact it always hits can be useful in duel type fights, it was extremely reliable at interrupting Rufus.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Only real use I got out of Chakra was in the one on one battle sims. Being able to stick, move and heal indefinitely was pretty much the only thing that kept me alive there

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I feel chakra comes into it's own on Hard, where you can't use items and mp is limited. Being able to just out a heal without consuming limited resources is nice.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

LeafyOrb posted:

I feel like bio is kinda underrated in general, a stupid amount of enemies can be poisoned and the fact it always hits can be useful in duel type fights, it was extremely reliable at interrupting Rufus.

I barely used any status effects because I had it ingrained from the original that they were useless on trash (as it dies too fast) and useless on bosses (for the most part, with some exceptions, immune to them). Definitely gonna try them out in the hard playthrough.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Onmi posted:

I feel chakra comes into it's own on Hard, where you can't use items and mp is limited. Being able to just out a heal without consuming limited resources is nice.

That's a good point, I haven't started hard yet.

Are there any other underrated materia or abilities people used a lot of?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Provoke is pretty great for peeling off enemies that have decided to beat your controlled character upside the face. I usually give it to Barrett, then if something mean happens while I'm moving one of the others, it'll reliably proc and send the enemies after him instead of me

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Golden Goat posted:

That's a good point, I haven't started hard yet.

Are there any other underrated materia or abilities people used a lot of?

I don't think people use ATB Boost enough. It's a lot more useful in Hard.

Also, Pray obviously has its uses as a MP-less heal. Throwing it out near the end of a fight is nice to top everyone off since unspent ATB is useless anyway.

Also, unrelated but I've never managed to get Synergy to work for me.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Synergy needs the other character to have ATB too, it's worked when I setup ATB assist for a faster character but might be better spent just doing it manually.

Also they only use the lowest level spell and it still takes up MP sooooo it's not great.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 15, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Golden Goat posted:

Synergy needs the other character to have ATB too, it's worked when I setup ATB assist for a faster character but might be better spent just doing it manually.

Also they only use the lowest level spell and it still takes up MP sooooo it's not great.

So it just removes the need to manually select the spell? Doesn't seem worth a materia slot.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah that and the auto-cure materia feel like options just for if you want to be in the command menu as little as possible but wont work well for later fights.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Up to Chapter 17, and good to see Hojo is still 100% WILL IT BREED

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

DeathChicken posted:

Up to Chapter 17, and good to see Hojo is still 100% WILL IT BREED

Hojo was the good change to that chapter, that but with him keeping Ifalna was perfect.

Gimme my trail of blood though!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Golden Goat posted:

Yeah that and the auto-cure materia feel like options just for if you want to be in the command menu as little as possible but wont work well for later fights.

Auto-Cure was fine early on but yeah it loses its effectiveness by endgame.

I do wish there was more than one Magnify Materia, it's nice to throw up Haste on everyone but losing Curaga-All kinda hurts sometimes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Maxed out prayer is almost as good as curaga, anyway

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Auto-Cure was fine early on but yeah it loses its effectiveness by endgame.

I do wish there was more than one Magnify Materia, it's nice to throw up Haste on everyone but losing Curaga-All kinda hurts sometimes.

Yeah I feel like they knew how good it would be if you had multiple

How does parry work exactly? Like is there invincible frames, am I able to cancel out of moves with it? I've got it on Tifa since her slide is really fast and covers a lot of distance but I don't really understand it as a parry move.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I must have spent an entire hour trying to beat Pro on that freakin' pull-up minigame lmao. You have to be perfect for two straight rounds since there's no way you can ever catch up to Jules if you fall even the slightest bit behind, and sometimes he'll just beat you no matter what. Tedious as hell but I could not let Tifa be beaten.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I had a way harder time with that in the early going, when the meter still moves kind of slowly. I always, always would manage to hit the button earlier than the game wanted. Once Tifa picked up the pace a little, I could just mash the pattern with impunity.

It was actually helpful to watch Tifa and hit the buttons whenever her animation hiccuped, to indicate I was on the next step

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

homeless snail posted:

Maxed out prayer is almost as good as curaga, anyway

But two ATB, so it's much more difficult to pull off in a pinch.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I am just remembering Roche (dude who wants to gently caress his bike) and kinda surprised he doesn't appear again

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I don't know curaga can heal for like 9k

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

DeathChicken posted:

I had a way harder time with that in the early going, when the meter still moves kind of slowly. I always, always would manage to hit the button earlier than the game wanted. Once Tifa picked up the pace a little, I could just mash the pattern with impunity.

It was actually helpful to watch Tifa and hit the buttons whenever her animation hiccuped, to indicate I was on the next step

The thing that kept messing me up is that the flashing indicator for when you're supposed to mash the next button comes up before the second-to-last input, so if you're just hitting it on reaction then Tifa's gonna slip everytime. I had to untrain myself from paying attention to the huge flashing PRESS BUTTON which goes against every video game instinct in the world.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

exquisite tea posted:

I must have spent an entire hour trying to beat Pro on that freakin' pull-up minigame lmao. You have to be perfect for two straight rounds since there's no way you can ever catch up to Jules if you fall even the slightest bit behind, and sometimes he'll just beat you no matter what. Tedious as hell but I could not let Tifa be beaten.

Watching Jules is a fakeout since he always scores the same - he always gets around 43 pull-ups. So ignore him, the aim is just to get to around 45 within the two rounds to safely beat him.

When I was doing it the trip up was always early on in the second round, where I had to make myself go slower than normal. Once Tifa gets into a rhythm you should be good as long as you're not hitting things too fast.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

CottonWolf posted:

But two ATB, so it's much more difficult to pull off in a pinch.

Yeah, you run it on your batteries, not your designated healer. The start-up and cast point are really low; it's basically your only saving grace in Hard Mode if you decide to do that.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Re: the L1 shortcut menu, I much prefer going through the regular command list to get the tactical slowdown, but the best thing I ever did was assign Unbridled Strength to L1+Square for Tifa. It makes her already smooth combo play even smoother when you can quickly burn bars to power her up with just one extra button press, highly recommended.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

postmodifier posted:

Re: the L1 shortcut menu, I much prefer going through the regular command list to get the tactical slowdown, but the best thing I ever did was assign Unbridled Strength to L1+Square for Tifa. It makes her already smooth combo play even smoother when you can quickly burn bars to power her up with just one extra button press, highly recommended.

I tend to keep only abilities on shortcuts that I need frequently, Focused Thrust, Counterstance, Focused Shot, Maximum Fury, Chi Trap and so on are good to keep in shortcuts.

Magic I never assign because I keep switching stuff around

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

just finished the first boss fight in the shinra building and i think i can safely say i dread a boss summoning a bunch of minions to help it way out more than any huge aoe attack that knocks off 80% of your hp

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Is there something wrong with my setup or is the soundtrack supposed to have some kind of Doppler effect? I can't quite describe it, but it's like the sound comes from a rotating speaker.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Spermando posted:

Is there something wrong with my setup or is the soundtrack supposed to have some kind of Doppler effect? I can't quite describe it, but it's like the sound comes from a rotating speaker.

The mixing is weird - one of my few gripes is that background music and chatter can make it hard to hear the person you're talking to.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Shinra tower thoughts so far:

They changed a bunch of stuff and I don't like it. Tifa parkouring around the lobby is whatever, stairs.. was expecting better banter since it's such an iconic moment but ok. Domino and the Avalanche cells I could take or leave I guess. The original slow-played Hojo's hosed-up-ness but here he's like, literally Satan from the first minute you meet him. Which is well executed, but I guess that means we're not going to have him just hanging out in Costa del Sol.

I really don't like how they cut out the Turks capturing the squad, the conversations and character development in the jail cells, and then the creepy poo poo with the breakout and Sephiroth leaving a trail of blood everywhere, it was very atmospheric and having the president die offscreen in the process was a pretty cool twist. Unless that's somehow coming later but I feel like it was re-tooled into everybody voluntarily hanging out in Aerith's containment cell for a bit.

Hojo's big super secret fun house in the in the middle of the tower is a bunch of obnoxious video game poo poo. I'm most of the way through it as of last night and it's really overstaying its welcome and it kind of kills the pacing. Like none of this is particularly bad but the rest of the game with a few minor exceptions has been absolutely fantastic so far and it's kind of a buzz kill.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Does the "Buff Duration 10% Boost" weapon skill affect buffs used BY the character or used ON the character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Barret's voice actor is really doing some work in these later chapters. The entire English cast is good but Barret especially has been elevated from what was, if we're being honest, a caricature in the original to a relatable and engaging character in his own right.