Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

TTerrible posted:

There is a danger that the corporate event market is dead permanently. The way companies look at sending people from 20+ countries to mingle in breakout rooms and watch PowerPoint is likely to change forever.

no offence but... good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

no offence but... good

I completely agree.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

meme posted:

But until they invent a vape that is better than a spliff, I'm afraid I'll have to occasionally treat myself.

I've got news for ya

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I hadn't seen anywhere that exercise was limited to an hour. I had a 90 minute walk the other day (pls don't shop me)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Party Boat posted:

I hadn't seen anywhere that exercise was limited to an hour. I had a 90 minute walk the other day (pls don't shop me)

It isn’t. The Tories aren’t keen to do actual governance in the proper way, so the Public Health (Coronavirus) Regulations are..badly drafted at best, with the majority of what people know about it - can’t just go to the shop and buy Easter eggs, no exercise longer than an hour, you can never drive anywhere - being fed out in media interviews with ministers that get contradicted and rowed back on in days.

Good for the police though, they get to invent a whole load of new powers for themselves and get away with it (as long as the person isn’t filming or lawyers notice their case looks dodgy as gently caress)

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Tell me how you propose 'actual governance in the proper way' should work in a pandemic of a new virus and which party you think would do it better.

I'm not aligned to any party but I figured they'd all have a similar approach to this situation

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

TTerrible posted:

I completely agree.

Thirded

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

meme posted:

It obviously depends on where you live and what's around you. This is just my perspective on it. Not everybody lives close to decent parks or woods, and for those of you stuck inside, my heart goes out to you, that sucks.

The big issue here is you can't leave it up to people's common sense because most people have none. For every person who has clearly thought about the risks and actually gives a poo poo about social distancing like you there's 10 more itching for any reason to return to their normal lives and if they get a hint that some people are loving off to the woods to relax then they'll be at it too, except they'll meet friends out there and have a picnic etc etc

You need a blanket rule that applies to the lowest common denominator (in this case the stupidest) right now, so while your behaviour is obviously fine, it can't be officially allowed or encouraged.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Moola posted:

its easier when you're younger because you tend to have more disposable income

Lol what? Maybe if you live with your parents while working full time or something, but that’s just a horrible thought.

meme posted:

I've been having to drive from Liverpool to the midlands every couple of days to look after someone's dog

I decided to not smoke weed today, after 13 years of smoking 10+ zoots a day.

So you’ve been drug driving every day before now, nice.

Just because you can easily get away with ignoring laws (like lockdown) doesn’t mean it’s cool or good, or doesn’t have consequences for other people.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

TTerrible posted:

There is a danger that the corporate event market is dead permanently. The way companies look at sending people from 20+ countries to mingle in breakout rooms and watch PowerPoint is likely to change forever.

It will be interesting to see what type of events/activities will die out, once people have experienced the alternatives.

Tradeshows are obviously going to be in deep poo poo, but I am really holding out for managers to switch to Zoom meetings instead of all-hands meetings in the company meeting room.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Angelwolf posted:

Tell me how you propose 'actual governance in the proper way' should work in a pandemic of a new virus and which party you think would do it better.

I'm not aligned to any party but I figured they'd all have a similar approach to this situation

“Laws” not made up by Michael Gove during a radio 4 meeting, everything Germany or South Korea or New Zealand or even the Faroe Islands have done to date.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Butterfly Valley posted:

Shame it's literally impossible to learn to drive if you never did it when younger!

(Ignoring the fact it is actually impossible right now)

Lol when I was 17 you basically turned up to the test and if you could drive down the street, do a 3 point turn and park without crashing you got given a licence. Now you got to do all sorts of insane poo poo including go for a long drive without using a map which has totally hosed over anyone with no sense of direction. Fine if you are 17 and your parents are paying for lessons but bugger that at 40.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

Wait really? I didn’t see anything about doing a long drive when I read about tests. I have “no sense of direction” as in I couldn’t even draw you a map of my local area. I have a set of memorised routes and a phone with Google Maps that gets me through life. I might as well give up now if that’s true

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

learnincurve posted:

Lol when I was 17 you basically turned up to the test and if you could drive down the street, do a 3 point turn and park without crashing you got given a licence. Now you got to do all sorts of insane poo poo including go for a long drive without using a map which has totally hosed over anyone with no sense of direction. Fine if you are 17 and your parents are paying for lessons but bugger that at 40.

Yeah on second thoughts it's probably better you never get behind the wheel of a car.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Butterfly Valley posted:

The big issue here is you can't leave it up to people's common sense because most people have none. For every person who has clearly thought about the risks and actually gives a poo poo about social distancing like you there's 10 more itching for any reason to return to their normal lives and if they get a hint that some people are loving off to the woods to relax then they'll be at it too, except they'll meet friends out there and have a picnic etc etc

You need a blanket rule that applies to the lowest common denominator (in this case the stupidest) right now, so while your behaviour is obviously fine, it can't be officially allowed or encouraged.

Seems to be the other way round at my end. I'd say for every 10 people observing social distancing there is 1 out going for picnics with their pals(If even that)
The problem with needing draconian blanket rules is that you are shifting blame from the gov to the great unwashed masses and you end up with poo poo like this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-52230081

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

It will be interesting to see what type of events/activities will die out, once people have experienced the alternatives.

Tradeshows are obviously going to be in deep poo poo, but I am really holding out for managers to switch to Zoom meetings instead of all-hands meetings in the company meeting room.

The company I work at has always pissed me off for insisting on making people travel to in-person meetings when zoom would have been fine. Wasting tons of time, money and loving up the environment with domestic flights while listing 'sustainability' as a core company value.
One small silver lining at the otherwise depressing townhall meeting was one of the new c-levels making that exact point, so maybe.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Wait really? I didn’t see anything about doing a long drive when I read about tests. I have “no sense of direction” as in I couldn’t even draw you a map of my local area. I have a set of memorised routes and a phone with Google Maps that gets me through life. I might as well give up now if that’s true

I did mine in my mid thirties, and it wasn't too bad. The long drive was just a drive for 20mins with the examiner giving instructions on where to go. The guy was pretty chill and relaxed and I passed fairly easily. I found the lessons to be more stressful. You just need to get comfortable driving by test time, I found this the hardest part and even after passing my test and driving about, it felt really weird like I didn't belong there. It took a whilee before I just jumped into the car and didn't obsess over the logistics of how I was going to get there and how I was going to park etc.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I passed before they brought it in but my understanding of the "independent driving" section of the test is that you'll either be asked to follow a sat nav, or to navigate to a landmark which is clearly noted on road signs (e.g. a railway station). Basically it's a test of your ability to take in that information and apply it as you drive, instead of relying on the instructor to continually feed you instructions. You definitely shouldn't be asked to navigate from one place to another purely by memory.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

numptyboy posted:

Seems to be the other way round at my end. I'd say for every 10 people observing social distancing there is 1 out going for picnics with their pals(If even that)
The problem with needing draconian blanket rules is that you are shifting blame from the gov to the great unwashed masses and you end up with poo poo like this https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-52230081

yeah, the biggest problems look to be the poor state of the NHS and failures to get PPE and ramp up testing.

for better or worse UK is not a heavily rule based society or one that is overly respectful of authority. the actual lockdown looks to be pretty similar to everywhere else. the well off enjoying their gardens while the poor keep working.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

wooger posted:

And a rainy barking High Street offers so much more than other cities in the UK because...?

There’s lots going on in London proper, but most of the people who “live in London” are just in a place vaguely commutable to a job there, have a poo poo commute every day, and aren’t out every night taking advantage of the culture / events.

Well, a much better range of ethnic supermarkets than most places I've lived, locally. Also it's half an hour on the District Line right to the centre of the city :shrug:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Party Boat posted:

my understanding of the "independent driving" section of the test is that you'll either be asked to follow a sat nav, or to navigate to a landmark which is clearly noted on road signs

It's this. Theyll say "drive to X" and offer a tomtom or some other gps device for you to enter the address and make your way there.

Driving is pretty chill, even more so in an automatic which is just a big go-kart. My test ended with a reverse bay park into one of the parking spaces back at the test centre. It was so wide it would have easily accommodated my car (clio 1) no matter how haphazardly I backed in.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Angelwolf posted:

For a start our government were the only ones in the world (at the time) that openly promoted a "take it on the chin" approach, and their actions to date suggest that it's still the cornerstone of the plan. They've waited for the public or the private sector to make/demand changes before stepping in with vague advice that matches the trend. Sports stopped of their own accord. Businesses were shutting and social distancing happening before Boris' Big Day in front of the camera. They're not ordering ventilators from manufacturers because that would cost more money and generate fewer positive headlines than commissioning studies on whether Dyson can make one.

For a week or so our government had the worst response in the world imo. Thankfully they're too spineless and PR-driven to be outdone by the mentalists in charge of Brazil, the US etc. who are cracking further up with each passing day. And the Dutch "followed the science" by announcing herd immunity for all as their strategy (their early response was stronger than ours though iirc).

It was a new virus but we weren't hit first. We had significant data from China, Korea and Italy by the time it was clear this was coming. But our scientists plugged in the numbers for "just a flu, bro" and decided that was fine (wait, no, they didn't do that they just said they did. The only "science" that "changed" was their behavioural scientists discovered the public won't actually accept 250k deaths and most of us would rather stay home from work).

The media are whitewashing the whole thing as best they can, as part of their role for the establishment keeping the public calm and happy. They don't put our death counts in headlines any more because that might make us think the government hosed things up. They'll show Spain's though. A left wing government here would be getting it both barrels, especially if we'd shut down when Italy and most of the continent did (and stopped loving Cheltenham from going ahead), and kept the tally lower.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I don't think I've bay parked since passing my test. I don't see the use case.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

I don't think I've bay parked since passing my test. I don't see the use case.

Er.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

sassassin posted:

For a start our government were the only ones in the world (at the time) that openly promoted a "take it on the chin" approach, and their actions to date suggest that it's still the cornerstone of the plan. They've waited for the public or the private sector to make/demand changes before stepping in with vague advice that matches the trend. Sports stopped of their own accord. Businesses were shutting and social distancing happening before Boris' Big Day in front of the camera. They're not ordering ventilators from manufacturers because that would cost more money and generate fewer positive headlines than commissioning studies on whether Dyson can make one.

For a week or so our government had the worst response in the world imo. Thankfully they're too spineless and PR-driven to be outdone by the mentalists in charge of Brazil, the US etc. who are cracking further up with each passing day. And the Dutch "followed the science" by announcing herd immunity for all as their strategy (their early response was stronger than ours though iirc).

It was a new virus but we weren't hit first. We had significant data from China, Korea and Italy by the time it was clear this was coming. But our scientists plugged in the numbers for "just a flu, bro" and decided that was fine (wait, no, they didn't do that they just said they did. The only "science" that "changed" was their behavioural scientists discovered the public won't actually accept 250k deaths and most of us would rather stay home from work).

The media are whitewashing the whole thing as best they can, as part of their role for the establishment keeping the public calm and happy. They don't put our death counts in headlines any more because that might make us think the government hosed things up. They'll show Spain's though. A left wing government here would be getting it both barrels, especially if we'd shut down when Italy and most of the continent did (and stopped loving Cheltenham from going ahead), and kept the tally lower.

I don't think the question was about the response the government has chosen to take, it was specifically about governance i.e. How are things being run.

Listening to the medical experts, hosting daily press briefings, and passing emergency laws is pretty much what any party would be doing. The Reuters investigation seems to lame the blame for a lot of the inactivity at the feet of the science and medical experts, and then at the government for not challenging their advice, which honestly I can't imagine Corbyn would have done either. Before this what type of politician would challenge the chief medical officer in the middle of a growing medical crisis about their complex and sophisticated models and detailed pandemic response plans? The answer is probably someone like Trump who would say its all a hoax or something.

There needs to be a reckoning when it's all done but I've never voted Tory in my life nor do I plan to, yet I don't think they've really done much that anyone else wouldn't have done after it's all hit. The big questions are about how we prepared (we didn't) both in terms of the general state of the NHS and the specific preparations we should have been taking in early 2020.

Whether or not the media would fall in line is sort of a separate issue to what the government is doing.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 15, 2020

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I meant reverse bay parking, as required by the test. The boot's less accessible.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

I meant reverse bay parking, as required by the test. The boot's less accessible.

I work somewhere that mandates it, massively safer when you go to leave your space.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

Ok, phew, I feel somewhat reassured that I won’t be thrust into one of my literal nightmares where I realise I’m driving a car/am on a bus and I’m lost and have been going the wrong direction for hours. I put off learning for ages, but public transport outside London is like it was set up deliberately to foil you - the bus you want comes every 3.2 hours, is scheduled to leave 1 minute before your train will arrive, and even if you could catch it you’d need exact change

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
Just do it even if you don't need a car just now. It opens up a whole new world in freedom and ease of life if you even just hire one now and again.
Need to move house hire a van and go do it.
Want to go off to the hills for the weekend just go do it.
Helps with a lot of things in life.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Total Meatlove posted:

I work somewhere that mandates it, massively safer when you go to leave your space.

Not sure I buy this. And it takes way longer waiting for people to reverse in.

I have a car boot so I can go get a big load of compost, which I want to load directly into the boot from the cart.

No way to do that with the useless bonnet facing out.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

They don't put our death counts in headlines any more because that might make us think the government hosed things up. They'll show Spain's though.

some things never change

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

wooger posted:

Not sure I buy this. And it takes way longer waiting for people to reverse in.

You either wait for people reversing into spaces or you wait for them reversing out, and gently caress me if I need to explain to you why it's less safe to reverse into moving traffic than into a parking space

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol that this wasn't already happening

https://twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1250326413460140033

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

TTerrible posted:

Yeah I work in this industry and this has been absolutely apocalyptic. Everything was cancelled by the start of March and the news was dribbled out from then on. A few things have rescheduled to October but everyone knows they aren’t happening.

My entire year was 60k+ people arena shows and large scale corporate. There is a danger that the corporate event market is dead permanently. The way companies look at sending people from 20+ countries to mingle in breakout rooms and watch PowerPoint is likely to change forever.

The events industry has a long tail and when people do want to start up again all the suppliers are going to be dead unless they’re SSE or PRG.

Even as the lockdown eases, tightly packed sporting and entertainment events aren't going to just spring back and I'm really having to bite my tongue when friends talk about getting out for pints in August/September. It's not happening, but you might be back at work if you have one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kitchner posted:

I don't think the question was about the response the government has chosen to take, it was specifically about governance i.e. How are things being run.

Listening to the medical experts, hosting daily press briefings, and passing emergency laws is pretty much what any party would be doing. The Reuters investigation seems to lame the blame for a lot of the inactivity at the feet of the science and medical experts, and then at the government for not challenging their advice, which honestly I can't imagine Corbyn would have done either. Before this what type of politician would challenge the chief medical officer in the middle of a growing medical crisis about their complex and sophisticated models and detailed pandemic response plans? The answer is probably someone like Trump who would say its all a hoax or something.

There needs to be a reckoning when it's all done but I've never voted Tory in my life nor do I plan to, yet I don't think they've really done much that anyone else wouldn't have done after it's all hit. The big questions are about how we prepared (we didn't) both in terms of the general state of the NHS and the specific preparations we should have been taking in early 2020.

Whether or not the media would fall in line is sort of a separate issue to what the government is doing.

"We were following the science" is just spin. Blame the scientists, blame the public, blame the footballers etc. Boris was shaking hands with coronavirus patients at the beginning of March, did his chief medical officer agree with that?

Our scientists and experts came to the same conclusions in their studies as everyone else's: herd immunity via vaccine is the only real solution, and hundreds of thousands could die in the meantime if we do nothing. Our government then went "great, let's do nothing then", unlike most of the rest of the world, who wanted to do a radical thing like safeguarding as many lives as possible. They're still not ordering ventilators from actual manufacturers. As Trump said, those ventilators will be surplus to requirements in a year or so, so it's not cost-effective (the economic science backs that up!)

The government's behavioural scientists concluded (via classic British exceptionalism) that people here simply wouldn't put up with any sort of lockdown or social restrictions, and had to backtrack when we started doing it without their instruction. Businesses worth hundreds of millions shut themselves down to protect lives and their own reputations. We had to wait for "the right time", supposedly, but that turned out to be right when a majority of the public (and most of Europe) had already acted. Fancy that.

Scientists are cold, unfeeling monsters at the best of times, and those in administrative positions within government are twice as likely to sacrifice us all to the dark gods of efficiency, rationality and keeping their bosses looking good. Studies and findings are only as good as what you try to do with them. The government poo poo the bed by using the science to attempt a speed run of a pandemic, and now has the BBC, Guardian et al scurrying the sheets down to the washing machine for them.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

Even as the lockdown eases, tightly packed sporting and entertainment events aren't going to just spring back and I'm really having to bite my tongue when friends talk about getting out for pints in August/September. It's not happening, but you might be back at work if you have one.

I've had the same conversations. My guess is limits on number of people/licenced area - they've already done something similar for retail space I believe? It'll hopefully be a slow ramp up. I really really hope that this government isn't stupid enough to just slam everything back open one Friday.

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII

I'd trust Tony Hancock with my health before this namesake.

I saw something a while ago that Spitting Image was making a comeback, they wouldn't need to do anything with Matt Hancock as I've yet to see him not look gormless.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

This isn’t true btw. My wife has an old person moving into her home next week that’s been in hospital on a ward where Covid was and they are saying no tests and that they have to accept them. Dumb as gently caress.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dell_Zincht posted:

Us Northerners hate London because it's a tourist trap and a loving overcrowded shithole.

Obviously, like everywhere else in the UK there are nice parts but you couldn't pay me to live there.

Also beer is a lot cheaper up here :)

My parents used to ship me off to London for summers when I was a kid and I thoroughly loved it. Of course I was a dumb teen, and this was a loong time ago.

Before this dumb pandemic hit I was going to take my wife and kids to London for a week because they've never been.

And I still plan on taking them the moment this stuff is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

spacetoaster posted:

Before this dumb pandemic hit I was going to take my wife and kids to London for a week because they've never been.

And I still plan on taking them the moment this stuff is over.

Poverty tourism is considered bad taste these days.